• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Wild Wild West

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strephon

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
On the "Soul Eater" review: Are there any actual similarities to Harry Potter beyond the fact that there's a school, a mentor figure and three main student characters? Because the review doesn't list any ("teacing amateurs to become pros" doesn't particularly descibe Hogwarts beyond the basic attributes of any school). Based on the level of evidence presented, one could also prove that Naruto is a cheap rip-off of Tom Brown's Schooldays.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to disagree with the Soul Eater review. Sure, there are some stereotypical parts, but what series doesn't have them? Maka, always being saved? Soul is NOTHING without her! She's an incredibly skilled weapon tech. Because she cries she's no good? As people said before, Sid? Stereotypically drawn? Uhhh, are you sure you're reading Soul Eater? And it's bad that the villians' plans don't always go to plan? You want to be able to figure out what happens all the time? I sure don't.

I didn't know Dororo was out, I'll have to go pick it up!

Gun Blaze West was such a disappointment after Kenshin. Ugh, what a bleh series. But!! Just because it's a such a crappy series doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. I just sat back and laughed at each new thing Watsuki introduced and although it was ridiculous, it was a lot of fun.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
On the "Soul Eater" review: Are there any actual similarities to Harry Potter beyond the fact that there's a school, a mentor figure and three main student characters? Because the review doesn't list any ("teacing amateurs to become pros" doesn't particularly descibe Hogwarts beyond the basic attributes of any school). Based on the level of evidence presented, one could also prove that Naruto is a cheap rip-off of Tom Brown's Schooldays.

Nope. There aren't even 3 main student characters. Because the main characters' weapons are in fact living beings that can take human form, go to class themselves, and serve as main characters in their own right, there are in fact 7 main student characters at the start of the series.

And the 3 which aren't weapons (Maka, Black Star, and Kid) aren't anything like the characters from Harry Potter. Well, the review itself kind of implies that when it compares Black Star to Naruto (which is a comparision I can at least kind of see). What member of the main Harry Potter trio is at all like Naruto?

Now, both Soul Eater and Harry Potter involve a fantasy world with a special school that teaches students with unique abilities, that much is true. But the same could be said for Naruto, or any number of series I'm sure. It's not exactly a unique plot idea.

On a side note, the review has a pretty big error regarding a certain witch.
spoiler[The witch in question wasn't trying to bring back the "strongest demon that ever lived" so that she could control the world. She never expected it to obey her. She was never betrayed by it (like the review implied). The only thing that cost her was that she was in the middle of a fight when it revived, and was so distracted/startled when she suddenly sensed it that she let her guard down.

But as I said, she wasn't trying to use it to rule the world. To state her desires simply, she thought the world would be a more interesting place if it was revived.]

Ah well, I don't even like Soul Eater that much myself, but I don't agree with most of the particular negative points listed in that review.

EDIT: I will say, I agree that Dr Stein is awesome. My favorite character in the series... which I'm sure will come as a complete shock to everyone, given my username.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Instead of deep reflections on life and humanity and the fate of the universe, it just tries to pile on as much angst and tragedy as possible (seriously, how many mothers and fathers and brothers die in Volume 1 alone?) in hopes of garnering reader sympathy.

Seems a bit shallow for a review. The actions taken by the characters in Dororo -- as in most of Tezuka's works -- reflect on these ideas more than what the characters say. Much like manga in the adventure-vein of Berserk (Kentaro Miura has cited Dororo as his prime inspiration), the world the story takes place in is constantly compromised and the actions taken by characters do not radically "save the day" as in most manga: a victory against a toad demon posing as a woman does not make the situation better for the peasants who both feared but required her.

Also, not the irony in Hyakkimaru's ultimate search for humanity: he kills his opponents to regain real-yet-weaker body parts. His hunt for wholeness leads to more emptiness.

I'm actually surprised at the Tezuka-bashing that goes on sometimes. People complaining about "subtltey" or "lapses of reason?" Please. If people in fiction thought like the people in reality we'd have some rather lousy stories to tell. This has been a hallmark of storytelling since before there was a word for it.

The man was, and always will be, ahead of his time. This may seem like favoritism (I own every Tezuka work that has been published stateside, including the Vertical releases, he is easily my favorite manga-ka), but the no one can deny the man's overwhelming imagination and lust for storytelling; I mean, who ELSE could have thought of a story involving a samurai with 48 missing body parts and the kid-thief who follows him...and make it all work?

I highly recommend Dororo, as well as any other Tezuka work within reach.
driverstart

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I was considering Gun Blaze West, but now that I heard it was discounted by someone on this forum, I probably shouldn't buy it. Then again, I bought ZombiePowder knowing well that the series was discounted so what do I know?

Muyho & Roji's BSI Vol. 4 I own. I do agree that the character art design in the series aren't really the best. On the note of the scene changes, they never really bother me before. Heck, I never even notice or was annoyed about the quick changes.

I agree this volume was a much of an improvement compared to the last few volumes. It seems now we are getting into a real story line. The art design on the monsters and setting are pretty damn awesome.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[quote="Mad_Scientist"]
Strephon wrote:

EDIT: I will say, I agree that Dr Stein is awesome. My favorite character in the series... which I'm sure will come as a complete shock to everyone, given my username.

I probably would not guessed Soul Eater on the first try though. Since there are tons of mad scientist's in the anime world.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Teriyaki Terrier"]
Quote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Strephon wrote:

I probably would not guessed Soul Eater on the first try though. Since there are tons of mad scientist's in the anime world.

Actually, my username is one that I came up with before I was even a fan of anime. (It predates my account on this forum.) I just love mad scientists in general, usually at least, so it shouldn't be a surprise I like Dr Stein.
aluria

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Read the majourity of the Zettai Kareshi manga but I believe I prefer the drama series. I'm finding that I'm rooting for Soshi in the drama series over Night (I find him unsettling actually) and the sweets company is a nice touch. I think it also makes more sense that the company would find a young women instead of a teen to test their 'nightly' series androids.

I see Suzuka is still getting bad reviews, I honestly don't know how I managed to finish watching that series. The part about Yamato dating Honoka was so hard to watch because it was obvious from the get go that it wasn't going to work out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Oronae: MW takes place during a simpler time when hijackings were still a recent phenomenon. So the ending is a product of its time. I'd imagine we'd be seeing something more devious if Tezuka wrote it today.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Kannazuki no Miko is out already? So behind on all my manga. Anyway, the "YFR" was in volume 2 was it not? Razz
Same here, I don't care how much of a mess the manga is, I have to get it anyway. Because it's Kaishaku, and because of hawt girl-on-girl action Evil or Very Mad Besides, it can't be more of a cacophonous mess than the anime was, and I did actually like the anime.
springrequiem

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
...wow. I never took those moments in Soul Eater to be innuendos. Either I wasn't paying enough attention or someone was looking too far into it. Then again, the series has had a fair amount of fanservice, so I guess it could have been intentional.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
Kannazuki no Miko is out already? So behind on all my manga. Anyway, the "YFR" was in volume 2 was it not? Razz
Same here, I don't care how much of a mess the manga is, I have to get it anyway. Because it's Kaishaku, and because of hawt girl-on-girl action Evil or Very Mad Besides, it can't be more of a cacophonous mess than the anime was, and I did actually like the anime.

Where the anime lost me was with the use of mechs/giant robots. I'm a mech fan, but they seemed so out of place in this show. I think something along the lines of Shannon combined with Zefiris in Scrapped Princess would have fit better.
Apterous

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Dragynstorm wrote:
I'd have to disagree with the Soul Eater review. Sure, there are some stereotypical parts, but what series doesn't have them?

I agree. Maybe he read some Bleach awhile back, and forgot it and inserted names of Soul Eater characters when he wrote the review? My guess is that he knew the Square-Enix/Bones anime was coming out and is already popular, and decided to write a flame-war evoking review.

In reality, Soul Eater is one of the most stylized supernatural shounen manga out there, and while it takes some time for the story to get beyond the "gotta catch 'em all... souls," it stands on its own in the shounen genre just fine. Did he actually read the first 6 volumes, I wonder?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Being a fan of Wild Arms and the Wild West, will I like that manga?
Caelus

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the only bond going on between the main characters is bi-curious schoolgirl lust

Oh well, sure, if you say so... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3