• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gunbuster 2 details

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
FLCL + Mahoromatic = Gunbuster 2? Nooooo......

Not to mention that the uniforms look like they were ripped off of Uchuu no Stellvia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's no helping it. Gainax has always been the otaku company. Gunbuster 1 was optimized to suit the tastes of yesterday's otaku, and Gunbuster 2 will be optimized to suit the tastes of today's otaku. If there's one things that can be said for certain about Gainax, it's that they have always known what makes otaku tick, and been able to cash on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Don't listen to them Anno and Gainax, I still love you.... (smiles).
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:01 pm Reply with quote
wow this is horrid looking, I mean damn look at Bustermachine! WTF happen! It looks like Sadamitsu the Destroyer cross with Eva Unit-01! Razz

Gunbuster is not the same without Mikimoto :/ ...
Mermel

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Mermel wrote:
Gunbuster IS on DVD. I own it.

As Tord stated, there are foreign region DVD releases of Gunbuster, but if the DVD you own is Region 1 or Region 0, it's a bootleg.

I just looked at it. It has the ALL-REGION NTSC code symbol on the back. I bought it in downtown flushing (a very asian area right near Shea Stadium) at a mall shop for $12. The subtitles are pretty raw but understandable. Here is a link where anyone can get it.

http://www.[This URL is a known Bootlegging website]/detail.asp?dvdno=8
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Spatula

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Gainax has always been the otaku company. Gunbuster 1 was optimized to suit the tastes of yesterday's otaku, and Gunbuster 2 will be optimized to suit the tastes of today's otaku.

Lies! Gunbuster is a classic anime that everyone, new and old, should watch. It stands alone, and Gunbuster 2 is a travesty in the works! [/rant]

Seriously though, there are a lot of good points about the original series that endure to this day.
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
Hello all. Although I look over this board quite often, I rarely ever post. But I have to post on the abomination that is going to be Top O Nerae! 2. From the looks of things, this new series will never live up to the expectations of the original. I am possibly the largest Gunbuster fan this side of the United States who was looking forward to this new series, and now I do not know. Gainax should have paid Mikimoto to come back and do new character sketches. I do not want to watch another maid-type character anime.

As for this DVD release of Gunbuster that has been brought up, there is only one legitimate DVD release, and that is Gainax's set, which has no subtitles. There is a UK release put out by Kiseki Films, but it is a direct rip of the US Renditions VHS version, and has almost five minutes of footage cut out of it, namely the bathing room scene from episode two. The other, a bootleg which is widely sold on eBay, sports some of the worst subtitles ever done for a classic anime series. I do not recommend buying this.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:24 am Reply with quote
First off, if you disagree with my statements, and I'm sure some will, don't argue with them. I don't mind expression of a difference in opinion, but flat out arguements will be ignored to the best of my abilities as its retarded to argue on the internet even more so in reality. Secondly, Kiseki was the one that edited the show, not U.S. Renditions. I own the USR versions and the bath scene is completely intact. Thirdly, my main point, what's with all this anger as it is? We have one page of art and already it translates to crap? With all due respect, that's not only ridiculous but immature. So the art design's different, of course it is. Gunbuster is sixteen years old. It comes from a time when a different style from today's was popular. Face it, Gunbuster is great, its probably my favorite, but since the sequel comes now, it will be done in the style of now. I love the work of Mikimoto as well, but I don't believe he does character designs anymore. I like the work of Sadamoto as well, so it not like they're using some newby to mess things up.

One page of art says nothing of the substance of the story, only the look. Look is important but it still only amounts to style. Gonzo is a style over substance studio. Hence why I barely like anything they've done. They are hardly innovative, unless your only difinition of innovative is budget minded CGI used in an overkill fashion. They usually take tried and true formulas, or maybe an old idea, and give them a coat of flashy paint, just like everyone else. Other than that, they're a one trick pony. Some progressive innovators they are. However, they fill a current trend, hence why they're popular. I really like Gonzo's hand art, its a shame they mar it with uselessly flashy CGI. They have talent in abundence, but they rarely put it to good use, instead letting their mouses do the talking. Its not a bad thing, its just not my sense of style. But I've never hated anything they did because of the CG, in case that's the impression I'm giving, its not intended.

Honneamise a financial failure? I don't see how, since it was their first film. If it flopped there wouldn't have been a Gunbuster, and we wouldn't be here speaking of it. Also, Gainax, Gonzo, Disney, etc. are businesses. If something is popular you milk it for what its worth. As long as people keep buying Evangelion re-releases, they'll keep making them. Why shouldn't they? Sure it damages one's image, but the revenue from the sales allows other productions to be made. It's called a neccesary evil. It not just their fault Eva is all they're known for. What of ADV and other companies, who keep slapping "from the makers of Evangelion" on everything else they've touched. Or all of Gonzo's releases proclaiming them "the makers of Hellsing". Its popular, it grabs ones attention. I remember when Viz's manga's used to proclaim Inu Yasha was by "the artist behind Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku". Nowadays, you'd think Inu Yasha was the only worthwhile thing she did and the rest were just footnotes. The point is animation is a business whether we like it or not. CGI films make big money, so naturally they multiply. Heavy CGI use saves time, effort and money, so Gonzo uses it to make like seven series this year alone, regardless of how poorly it goes or not(if one's a fan of CGI hybred, no offense is meant, I'm merely using it as a point). There's good and bad points to it, that's all.

How about the LA Eva issue. Hohum Rolling Eyes , ADV has just as much part in this as they do, I don't see you dissing them. I too think its a bad idea, but if it gets more people to watch the series, then at least some good will come of it. How you can say most people hated it I don't know, since you yourself say that people rebuy it. I bought it way back when it was on video and that's that. I don't rebuy things with out good reason. Again, its an oppurtunity to make money off something that's currently popular. It doesn't mean its artistically a good move, but both companies see it as an opening for potential growth, so I understand it even if I don't like it. As long as it isn't something so asinine as to completely reject the principles and ideals behind the original, who cares? Gainax and ADV make money, Weta gets to flex its muscles, more people discover Eva and anime and the revenue goes into making something new.

The same applys to Gunbuster 2. Its very existence gets the Aim for the Top name back into the loop. When I got one of my Gunbuster tapes signed at Fanime of last year, there was only one other person in the line with something of Gunbuster. In the huge line for the daylong Gainax signing, I didn't see one person who even knew what the show was. Even if the new show sucks, it will still tell people, "Hey, there's a really good OAV that spawned this, I should check it out". A Gunbuster sequel is a true gamble on Gainax's part. Its established fanbase is relatively small and cautious. It probably contains none of the old characters we love, but I feel that its a good thing. It gives them a chance to add new life into something that's wrongfully dead in a growing community. So don't let the artwork phase you. If it starts to go astray, I'm sure Anno will knock some sense into the guy directing it. Besides, if it ruins your opinion of the fantastic show that is the original Aim for the Top, you weren't really a fan of it any way. The only thing a bad sequel does is detract from future sequels(sadly any future Star Trek franchises will probably mention the travesty that is Enterprise). I mean, sure, the Star Wars prequels pretty much suck, but they don't detract from my enjoyment of the originals(unless I'm forced to watch their "special" versions). If this is the case of Gunbuster 2, it doesn't supplant the first one, so how the hell does it alienate the fanbase?

You think Gainax is bad, what about Pioneer? There are not one but three different versions of El Hazard, plus two sequels to the first story line. All of them are inferior to the original but have their own charms and don't detract from the first in the least. How about Tenchi? There's the three continuing OAVs, the TV rehash of the first one, the TV reimagining that just sucked, the manga, the TV GXP spinoff, the manga sequel, the three films, the Pretty Sami OVA and its TV rehash. That's not even the end of it.There are the movie versions of Utena and Escaflowne, each inferior to their TV versions but not entirely pointless. There are the numerous Lupin specials, with at least about one a year, some suck, others rule. There's the ongoing Leijiverse with a new Yamato on the way.There's the numerous Gundam sequels and reimaginings. If Gundam can survive G and W, Gunbuster can survive one little series sequel. Every company goes back and visits its old titles again and again. So its unfair to knock Gainax for trying to shake the dust off of its library. Its simply a fact of the business whether its a good part or not. Does Gunbuster need a sequel? Storywise, no, but it can't hurt it as far as the community is concerned. So don't knock it until you try it, it can't be all bad. At least wait for a trailer before you start mouthing off about it.

Last edited by Renaisance Otaku on Sat May 08, 2004 5:56 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:35 am Reply with quote
Mermel wrote:
I just looked at it. It has the ALL-REGION NTSC code symbol on the back. I bought it in downtown flushing (a very asian area right near Shea Stadium) at a mall shop for $12. The subtitles are pretty raw but understandable. Here is a link where anyone can get it.

Anime Cartoon International (as opposed to AIC) is one of the biggest producers of bootleg anime around.

Sorry, but your DVD is an illegal copy.
Retro Anime Podcast

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:04 am Reply with quote
The UK release of Gunbuster by Kiseki is Region 0 so will work anywhere, Kiseki is (was) a small company so it was easier and cheaper for them to do it like that. It has been discontinued now I think and you can buy very, very cheaply on many UK DVD web shops.

I hope Gunbuster 2 isn't going to be really long. The 6 30 minute episode format of the original kept the story punchy whilst allowing for decent plot and character development.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:28 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku, your points are valid. I can understand why they'd want to opt for a more contemporary chara designer, but it wouldn't have hurt Gainax to leave the maid fetishism to the Mahoromatic series. It just feels so tacked on, it's not even funny. I'm not saying that Gunbuster2 will make me less happy watching the first series, but I hoped for the spirit of the original to make it through. Now I'm sure you agree that this page of conceptual art doesn't bode too wel in that respect.

Lets' face it, the pic of the maid (main) character just screams "I'm useless, sorry for that master" (ugh, did I mention I do not care for maid shows?) The idea of pumping out some generic fan pleasing stuff and invest the profits in something worthwhile is of course something that happens all the time,, which is ok. The only thing I wonder is, when do we get to the worthwhile stuff? I was hoping for Gunbuster2 to be it, but from the looks of it, this production still falls into the generic fan pleasing cash-in category.

I became a fan of Gainax because they did interesting things in an unorthodox way. They presented fresh ideas and had a rash, un-industry point of view, they used to be the company that others would copy. It's a sad thing to see that this situation has reversed. Of course, Gainax has incorporated concepts of other shows into their own work like everyone else since the beginning, but it never amounted to the blatant kissing up that is suggested by these designs.
Yes, I know they are a company, and they need to make money. I just wished they would make their money in an interesting- rather than a predictable way.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:01 am Reply with quote
I can agree with your points, and understand what you mean. I just think its pointless to judge on so little info. Sure, she's in a maid outfit, doesn't neccesary mean that's a focus on the show. Maybe it won't capture the original spirit, but, for all we know, maybe it will. Gunbuster's a hard act to follow, especially with out Anno at the helm. Maybe it appears they're going the route of fanservice, but Gunbuster originated the "Gainax Bounce" so who knows. No one likes a mediocre sequel, especially to something one connects to so well. But if it does do well, maybe we'll get an even better follow up. If not, it would most difinitely be a major wake up call for Gainax. Remember, after An American Tail whooped The Great Mouse Detective, it lead to Disney's second and currently final golden age. You can't make gold all the time, and mis-steps are crucial for improvement to occur. Maybe their latest stuff isn't the best they've done, it doesn't mean they'll now going to be perpetually bad. I'm sure even Miyazaki has had his lapses of creativity. It happens. I too look forward for the next big thing to reafirm Gainax's place with the best. Perhaps Gunbuster 2 will be it, perhaps it will lead to it. I just hope they don't CG it to hell but that's my preference and a minor matter. I most assuredly won't lose faith in it just because of a little concept art. Some encouraging news might be taken that all the OAVs I've seen of late have been excellent and if anyone can pull this off, its Gainax, IMO. At least people will know what I'm talking about when I mention Aim for the Top now Cool .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kamiboy

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:15 am Reply with quote
Well said, Renaisance Otaku. But all in vain I’m afraid as most fans of something that was made many years ago automatically cringe when they are faced with the prospect of a sequel. It is kind of a "the good old times" mentality that all humans seem to suffer from and I just try to ignore it.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:05 am Reply with quote
kamiboy wrote:
Well said, Renaisance Otaku. But all in vain I’m afraid as most fans of something that was made many years ago automatically cringe when they are faced with the prospect of a sequel.

Depends if it really is a sequel, or something different with a well-known name plastered on it. Heck, had they called it 'Maidbuster', it would just have been a parody and all jaded fanboys could sleep well Wink

Quote:
It is kind of a "the good old times" mentality that all humans seem to suffer from and I just try to ignore it.

Let me tell you, back in the old days, people were MUCH better in ignoring the good old times Very Happy. Oh well, it's just conceptual art... we'll see what turns up. At least it's not live-action Razz
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:38 am Reply with quote
Mermel wrote:
http://www.[This URL is a known Bootlegging website]/detail.asp?dvdno=8

I think this explains exactly what it is, and exactly what we've been trying to say -- while it may "be on DVD", it is definately not a legal version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4