• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie Premieres

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I took one for the team this week ... If your kid is a Yu-Gi-Oh fan, then God help you."
-- Willie Waffle, WAFFLEMOVIES.COM

I so hope that ends up on the back of the DVD case.
R.G.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Quote:
"I took one for the team this week ... If your kid is a Yu-Gi-Oh fan, then God help you."

It won't.
Requiem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not at all suprised that all of those reviews.... it's geared for the die-hard watchers of the show and something anyone else will pass up (especially me.)
Sam.:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quote
no matter how much you hate Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon and DBZ -- kids will always love it forever. There is no escaping it. Especially DBZ, which put japan's anime on the map world wide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Quote:

Haha.

I hope so too. =P

I'll wait another 25 years before I have kids. Just so they're born FAR after this.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I hope this movie bombs big time. Really who wants 4Kids to make a bunch of money which they will later use to lincense more anime? Evil or Very Mad The more money the movie makes the more movie they will have to spend try to lincense Naruto. Evil or Very Mad
aisasami

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I saw it today at the local movie theater with my siblings. And man, it was crowded (because a) we couldn't find seats that good and b) we missed like 5 minutes of it). It was an alirght movie to a pretty good movie. So, I give it a 3 out a 5 star rating. Its not really horrible if you vut the lame lines and insert the battles. (Although my brother was asking everyone to trade all his 3 cards for the the bigger Blue Eyes White Dragon).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UltraManiac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't even like Yu-Gi-Oh. I wonder if they kept "old man" Yugi in there since Yugi is voiced acted by a 40 something year old man who can't change his "DEEP" old man voice. I won't ever see the movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess Ebert was too much of a snob to review it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote
aisasami: I knew it was gonna be big. $20-$25 million weekend guaranteed.
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure that the man who wrote the screenplay for 'Beyond the Valley of the Dolls' has no real sense of shame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I planned on seeing it today, but I didn't have time, so I'm going tommorow. I know that 4kids butchered it up, but I'm still a YGO fan regardless. I've known about this movie for about 1-2 years, so I know how it originaly is. I just hope they do what they did for the episodes and release it in japanese, or do a true translation.
space clam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
I hope this movie bombs big time. Really who wants 4Kids to make a bunch of money which they will later use to lincense more anime? Evil or Very Mad The more money the movie makes the more movie they will have to spend try to lincense Naruto. Evil or Very Mad

... We still complain about how Naruto might "get licensed by 4Kids, which will cause giant sunspots to erupt into huge X-class solar flares, sparking massive geomagnetic storms that will wipe out all anime on earth!..."? Rolling Eyes The review YGO got in my hometown paper I didn't see on rottentomatoes.com It wasn't much of a review, just a series of (mostly funny) questions: "Does anyone notice that Yugi's head looks like a purple marijuana leaf from behind?" and "Does an actor get an award for delivering lines like 'You may have destroyed my Dark Clown but I still have my Deck Virus trap!'?"

Reading such reviews, I see that all this film really accomplished is not much:
1) Ritalin substitute
2) Gasoline for 4Kids haters to throw on the fire
3) Pigeon-holeing all anime into "stupid, poorly animated kids' stuff that no one understands."

Hopefully some of these reviewers will get the chance to see Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence; maybe it will deaden the blow, so to speak. (Similar to how the Dow Jones "rebounds" 100 points after losing 600, or something like that...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Answer this, if you please. Is this the Japanese YGO movie or is it like I heard earlier today I think it was, which is 4Kids made this movie themselves, so which is it, I'm confused?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:30 pm Reply with quote
This is the 4kids movie but they didn't make it themselves. (I don't know how many times I explained this) They hired the Japanese companies including Kazuki Takahashi to write and animate the movie. 4kids maybe one of the dumbest anime companies but I don't think they're dumb enough to make a movie on their own, maybe a musical (Pokemon).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6