• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADK, TV Tokyo to Pay 4Kids US$8 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
hope the judge makes them use that money to pay off their debt because i don't trust them to invest it wisely.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that people are overlooking that the eight million dollar payment is part of a settlement among the parties, not an order of the court.

Rulings by the court likely motivated the parties to seek a settlement rather than wait upon a judgement, but the terms were agreed upon by TV Tokyo, ADK and 4Kids among themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep confidential some or all of the remaining terms of the settlement, much less details of the negotiation.

It also seems clear that some people are judging this outcome because of distaste for one of the parties, not on the legal merits of the case.

TitanXL wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
Hold on, hold on, hold on! 4Kids does something behind TV Tokyo's back and they wind up with $8 million? How does that work?

The same way an armed burglar can sue the people who's home he broke into for injuries on the property and actually win. The legal system is kind of a joke.

Examples like that are the province of careless talk radio hacks and usually either outright false, or clumsy simplifications that ignore significant nuances in a case. Even if true, they represent the misstep of no more than a particular state (especially in that case as criminal law is mostly a state concern) and are likelier just the foolishness of a particular judge, thus by no means sensible grounds for such a vast indictment.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Innagadadavida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Well that certainly blew up in ADK/TV Tokyo's faces. The ruling seems logical, but I can't say for sure because I have less than no legal knowledge. I'm glad 4Kids is hanging in there. They serve a very important role in the North American anime industry. I can't say I agree with their methods, but they are efficient sometimes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Huh. So I guess TV Tokyo really wasn't on the up and up here and it came around to bite them. Well, that seems perfectly reasonable and...no? We're gonna go with "the courts hate anime and are racist"? Lovely. Rolling Eyes
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I suspect that people are overlooking that the eight million dollar payment is part of a settlement among the parties, not an order of the court.

Rulings by the court likely motivated the parties to seek a settlement rather than wait upon a judgement, but the terms were agreed upon by TV Tokyo, ADK and 4Kids among themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep confidential some or all of the remaining terms of the settlement, much less details of the negotiation.

It also seems clear that some people are judging this outcome because of distaste for one of the parties, not on the legal merits of the case.

I know it's part of the settlement and likely had they not settled ADK and TV Tokyo would have had to shell out even more the 4Kids.
baadaku12345

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to feel about this, or much about legal anything, but if 4Kids can pay off some of their debt then that's a good thing.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
So much those calling for 4Kids early demise.
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Maybe people should just realize that 4Kids was in the right in this case? I hated what they did to One Piece as much as the next fan, but it doesn't mean their the spawn of evil.

Also, for the comments I've seen about bias in the legal system, if anything it is biased for the foreign companies. The US has some of the most restrictive laws in the world when it comes to the business and financial sectors.[/i]
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
Maybe people should just realize that 4Kids was in the right in this case? I hated what they did to One Piece as much as the next fan, but it doesn't mean their the spawn of evil.
No, them gaming the system and then geting paid double what was asked of them for doing so is what makes them the spawn of el deablo.
Keima-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Ohhhh, so this is how this plague manages to stay in business.

baadaku12345 wrote:
I don't know how to feel about this, or much about legal anything, but if 4Kids can pay off some of their debt then that's a good thing.

wut

Scormio wrote:
I hated what they did to One Piece as much as the next fan, but it doesn't mean their the spawn of evil.

lol
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote

My feelings is above.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:

But

But

THE GRAND LINE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!?!?!!

*Snicker

Don't waste your time or your intelligence with this crowd, you see "4kids" in a post, and here come the butthurt straw hats, who despite the fact their series has been rescued by another company, they STILL want 4kids to burn for even breathing on it, Forgoing the fact many voice actors who would be out jobs, many great ones at that, but what do they care about getting the facts straight, 4KIDS IS ALL DA EBIL
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
A lot less blind rage here than I was expecting, I'm quite amazed. Then again I kinda stopped caring about both sides in general so...

Well 4 Kids was legally in the right this time so not much to say here...I just hope that take some of that $8 mil and use it to expand Toonzaki a bit. It's a pretty nice hub for all the legal streamed shows available, but they can definently do more to make the site appealing...and perhaps get on board that online distribution one of the representatives was whispering about on Facebook...
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I long for the day when 4Kids drops dead. And I long for redubs of shows they've bastardized for the panzy-demographic.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Don't waste your time or your intelligence with this crowd, you see "4kids" in a post, and here come the butthurt straw hats, who despite the fact their series has been rescued by another company, they STILL want 4kids to burn for even breathing on it, Forgoing the fact many voice actors who would be out jobs, many great ones at that, but what do they care about getting the facts straight, 4KIDS IS ALL DA EBIL

What ticks me off though is that they can't just say this. If people just want to say that they hate 4kids and want them to die...well fine. If they spitefully hoped that this lawsuit would kill 4kids and now they're disappointed because it didn't...again, fine. Just say so.

But no. Instead, they have to insist that this is some kind of gross and outrageous error. It couldn't possibly be that the court ruled in 4kids favour because they were actually right in this instance. No. These people have got to insist that this decision must be wrong. Even though they are blatantly talking out their bums by claiming so since they obviously have not even the slightest basis for such claims.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5