• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Vandread Science-Fiction Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
If FUNi got the Eva movie, I wonder how the folks over at ADV are feeling....

Probably the same back when Manga Ent got the Eva movies. It's not the first time. Laughing

bci110 wrote:
Kiyomaro wrote:
braves wrote:

Maybe it'll get The Second Raid treatment.

Seems feasible enough. FUNi won't have to go too far to retain the original English cast.

Some of the cast aren't available in Houston anymore. They'll have to do what Manga Ent did.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I recently bought this on Amazon, but for anyone else who did miss it, this is good news. Also, I doubt they'll re-dub it, because that's just economically unsound. I imagine they'll just release these shows almost exactly as the original releases were.

Also, how nice it was to wake up to a fugly-ass banner clogging up space on the site layout... *grumble grumble*
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too fond of series that are heavy on fanservice, but Vandread was an exception, thanks to the entertaining story and likeable cast. Vandread is also one of the series that I like to watch dubbed despite being more of a sub person. I thought that the English version was way more energetic and some of the English voices sounded more fitting (Hibiki and Jura in my case)

As for the Eva movie, it's about damn time someone licensed it. If it's true, then I expect that Funi might do the same thing it did with FMP: The Second Raid and hire the ADV actors for the dub. Hope that there will be a LE with some nice extras.

Last edited by Raven Shinobi on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Panda Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Cool. It's been so long since I last watched VanDread. I guess once the DVDs come out again, I will have to pick it up.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I'm not too fond of series that are heavy on fanservice, but Vandread was an exception, thanks to the entertaining story and likeable cast. Vandread is also one of the series that I like to watch dubbed despite being more of a sub person. I thought that the English version was way more energetic and some of the English voices sounded more fitting (Hibiki and Jura in my case)

As for the Eva movie, it's about damn time someone licensed it. If it's true, then I expect that Funi might do the same thing it did with FMP: The Second Raid and hire the ADV actors for the dub. Hope that there will be a LE with some nice extras.

You know, in my happy little world of impossible wishes, they would also gather the original ADV cast for the Rebuild movies.

Yeah, it's nice to dream, innit?
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

You know, in my happy little world of impossible wishes, they would also gather the original ADV cast for the Rebuild movies.

Yeah, it's nice to dream, innit?

As far as I know, Spike Spencer, Amanda Winn Lee and Tiffany Grant are still doing voice-acting, so at least, we can expect that the three main characters will sound the same Smile
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Except your evidence points to Media Blasters as releasing Seirei no Moribito. Embarassed

Whoops! Why didn't I see that!? Stupid me!! Ignore my wrong reference now.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:

I think they're feeling pretty broke right now, so I doubt they could acquire the movies had they even wanted to.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
ScrappedAeon wrote:
LuckySeven wrote:
I was surprised that it didn't end up on Cartoon Network's Toonami or at least Adult Swim before they took their current stance on anime.

It was actually shown on one of the Starz channel every day for like two years.

And I was also thinking about double dipping if it gets an anamorphic release. At least when FUNi releases it the price should be more reasonable than Geneon's.

Yeah I was aware of that (I suppose I should have mentioned that too, my bad), I happened to catch it on a free preview of Encore WAM a long time ago. I think it was running back to back with Street Fighter II V. I just meant that I would have liked it, if it had gotten aired on a more widely available channel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Finally, a series I can actually enjoy. Hopefully, this means season one, two and Ova will be released.

The release says 26 episodes, so I doubt it:(
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Finally, a series I can actually enjoy. Hopefully, this means season one, two and Ova will be released.

The release says 26 episodes, so I doubt it:(

Vandread, as far as I know, was one of those odd shows that only got 13 episode seasons, so Stage 2 is essentially the second season.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
..but that still does not include the OVAs, as they would not be included in the "26 episodes" part. I already have the box set, having long given up on a UK release and imported it instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
..but that still does not include the OVAs, as they would not be included in the "26 episodes" part. I already have the box set, having long given up on a UK release and imported it instead.

Did the OVA ever get an R1 release?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

I don't know if they'll re-dub it. Seirei no Moribito was saved by FUNimation and Geneon's voice actors stayed in the show. I don't think FUNimation will re-dub a show unless Geneon's license actually expires. here's proof of my Seirei no Moribito reference.

anime#6634

You have to keep in mind who the show was licensed by and from.

In the case of the earlier releases, these were Geneon shows being distributed by Funimation. Funimation did not license the shows. So of course it was in Geneon's best interest to provide the dub and all other material they had for the show.

In these new cases, Funimation is licensing the shows from companies other than Geneon (either Geneon's license expired,or Geneon chose to give up the license, or...), so Geneon probably isn't getting any cut of the sales. therefore it's no longer automatically in their best interest to help Funimation out. This isn't to say that they won't, Funimation might chose to buy the dubs from Geneon, it would certainly be cheaper than re-producing them, or perhaps the rights to the dubs created by Geneon reverted to the licensor when the license expired, in which case the licensor could give the dubs to Funimation (this is very common with subtitle translations, but much less common with dub audio tracks).

-t
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Finally, this show, Vandread, looks like something I would enjoy. I like the art style and the story seems... unique. I'll definitely pick this up.

As for Eva, OMG I hope that is true. If it is, that means I can scratch one anime off the list of 3 that I want licensed in North America!

Very Happy

Edit: By the way, that "indicates" link in the article leads to a "Page cannot be found" error. Anyone have a fixed version? I want to see the hint for myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7