• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best First Episode Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group C (Part 1) is now closed.

Results can be found here.

Starting into the second half of the field now. Will we have some tense matches in this Group? Kinda doubt it, but we’ll see how things play out.

Group C-1
Le Chevalier d’Eon
vs.
Nodame Cantible

Group C-2
Neon Genesis Evangelion
vs.
Koi Kaze

Group C-3
Cross Game
vs.
Coyote Ragtime Show

Group C-4
Ga-Rei Zero
vs.
Noein – to your other self

Last edited by Key on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
FYI, legal stream of Nodame_Cantabile here:
(Animax dub)
http://www.crackle.com/c/Nodame_Cantabile/

... which I need to watch myself.

Hard bracket, only one personal favorite in the bunch, One I honestly know nothing about and the rest I have no actual problems with...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Match C-1: Nodame Cantabile
A tricky one to judge here. Le Chevalier d'Eon kicks off well introducing you to D'Eon's character and the lengths he is willing to go through to clear his sister's name, while hinting to things to come with the complicated shady political activity that the young man comes across. However, Nodame Cantabile kicks off to a fun start showing the unique chemistry between Chiaki and Nodame with their different lifestyles and personalities despite both being immensely talented in music and Chiaki coming to learn of the girl's potential as a gifted pianist. I found it easier to connect with Nodame Cantabile's first episode thus I have to vote for it here.

Match C-2: Koi Kaze
While Evangelion's first episode does subvert some of the common cliches of mecha anime with Shinji being unwilling to pilot his mecha and we come to see signs of his family issues first hand exposing him as a flawed character, the episode still has the feel of the "monster of the day" mold one would expect of the mecha genre as the series doesn't truly show off its unique elements until later episodes. Koi Kaze starts off well at introducing Koshiro's character and allowed me to connect with him as he handles his doubts about love and gets confronted over the shocking truth of his familial connection to Nanoka. Because the episode was effective in setting up this connection in its opening episode, I have to vote for Koi Kaze here.

Match C-3: Cross Game
Another battle between stylish anime and emotional opening episode? Coyote Ragtime Show's opening episode had better visuals than Cross Game, but its premise didn't feel like one I would be tempted to see more episodes of considering it's one of the few titles I had yet to see from the titles in this tourney. On the other end of the spectrum however, Cross Game does a great job in its opening episode to stick out from typical sports anime with introduction of Koh, Wakaba and Aoba as we come to see how significant Wakaba's bond was with the two other characters and it does well setting up the shocking and emotional finale of the episode when Koh learns of her death. I can see this series being one of the top picks for Bracket C.

Match C-4: Noein
The only notable things that Ga-Rei Zero has going for it in this tourney with its opening episode is its shocking ending and great visual presentation. Beyond that, you don't get truly introduced to the cast of the series until later episodes and the ones we are introduced to in this episode have stock character archetypes typical of the action genre of anime which don't make them stick out too well. Noein may be rougher with its visual presentation, but it does better in hooking you to its premise in the opening episode with its introduction of Haruka and her friends, the insane action sequence in the episode's opening scene and leaving one wondering who Karasu and the mysterious men in black are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
Group C-1
Le Chevalier d’Eon
vs.
Nodame Cantabile

Viewing history: I have Le Chevalier d’Eon on DVD; watched the entire Nodame Cantabile Franchise.

Is the first episode good enough to entice me to watch the rest of the series: Yes, for both.

The first episode of Le Chevalier d’Eon is eye candy from start to finish, with an abundance of memorable images. Two that stand out for me are the first person view as d’Eon walks through the Hall of Mirrors and the other is when he transforms into his sister Lia, holds his sword before his/her face and stares at the viewer with pure and absolute menace. d’Eon makes a great hero. The down side is that the plot is all over the place, important characters are introduced without their significance becoming apparent and clues are presented without being explained. The result is to make the episode confusing. Watching it knowing the significance of the characters and clues made this view more enjoyable than the first time around, but first time viewers won’t have that luxury.

Nodame Cantabile gets right down to business economically and amusingly. The interactions between Chiaki and Noda are still entertaining even though I’ve watched the episode several times.

Voting for: It’s a very close thing but I’m going for Nodame Cantabile because its characters, comedy and the final piano duet win over the eye candy and drama of Le Chevalier d’Eon.

Group C-2
Neon Genesis Evangelion
vs.
Koi Kaze

Viewing history: Watched NGE through twice; own Koi Kaze on DVD and watched it through multiple times

Is the first episode good enough to entice me to watch the rest of the series: Watched NGE because of its reputation; not because of its first episode; yes for Koi Kaze

The opening scenes of NGE are memorable. Shinji alone in the empty city - with the battle between the angel and the Japanese armed forces raging all around and above him – is spookily impressive. Thereafter it’s not so good. The plot in this episode isn't the sort of thing that appeals to me and, at first blush, the characters are neither likeable nor interesting.

Like Ga-Rei Zero below, Koi Kaze sets up the viewer in order to upset their comfortable take on what is happening. Unlike Ga-Rei Zero, where it is done largely for effect, Koi Kaze sets out to have the viewer question their beliefs. The scene in the ferris wheel compartment is superb: I particularly love the moment when the walls fade away, the wind blows Nanoka’s hair and, for a brief moment, you can see the woman in the young girl. Despite the controversial premise this scene suggests that she will follow the path that she chooses.

Voting for: Koi Kaze

Group C-3
Cross Game
vs.
Coyote Ragtime Show

Viewing history: First exposure to both

Is the first episode good enough to entice me to watch the rest of the series: Possibly

Although neither show is the type that appeals to me, both were reasonably entertaining. Cross Game has a lot of heart whereas Coyote Ragtime Show relies on excess to entertain.

Voting for: Cross Game

Group C-4
Ga-Rei Zero
vs.

Viewing history: First exposure to both

Is the first episode good enough to entice me to watch the rest of the series: Possibly

These two episodes are surprisingly similar: both have highly kinetic battle scenes involving supernatural forces; despite the action the viewer is introduced to interesting characters with individual personalities and histories; both end with the viewer wondering what on earth is going to happen next.

With Noein, the central characters are 12 years old. Unless I’m convinced the show is going to be exceptional I’m not really interested. Although the premise of Noein is more intriguing than Ga-Rei Zero and the relationships have greater possibilities (accepting that Ga-Rei Zero has pulled a swifty on the viewer) I’m not so enamoured that I am compelled to watch any more.

Ga-Rei Zero spends most of the first episode with some nicely animated action scenes that really aren’t all that remarkable but ends with a shock that left me staring at the screen in disbelief. I’m so glad I didn’t read the write-up before viewing it. This isn’t the sort of anime that appeals to me but I give it full marks for blind-siding me so comprehensively. I presume the real story starts in episode 2.

Voting for: Ga-Rei Zero

Last edited by Errinundra on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
Group C-1
Le Chevalier d’Eon
vs.
Nodame Cantible

If arguments for Nodame Cantible continue to be strong then I may get around to checking it out, but the write-up and clips I've seen of the first episode suggest that I'd be only mildly interested. Le Chevalier d'Eon, OTOH, is a gripping first episode loaded with all sorts of appeal: style, highly-detailed period trappings, intrigue, mystery, intense action, and a powerful climax. It establishes right away that you're going to be watching something different, especially since it's a dedicated period piece which is not set in Japan (many characters in the first episode, including the title character, are interpretations of actual historical figures), and is a thrill ride to watch.

Group C-2
Neon Genesis Evangelion
vs.
Koi Kaze

No real contest here. As Ggultra2764 mentioned, NGE gives a taste of what it will do in the first episode, but I've never considered its first episode to be one of its highlights. (Although the battle against the Angel at the beginning is unusually intense.) Koi Kaze, contrarily, starts very strong and never lets up. It's rare to see a first episode that is emotionally compelling, but this one can pull that trick off. The Ferris wheel seen which is the episode's highlight is, in my mind, one of the all-time-great non-action anime scenes.

Group C-3
Cross Game
vs.
Coyote Ragtime Show

I am obviously going for Cross Game here, and I'm tempted just to say "watch the episode" for the reason. Granted, it's the inferior of the two on artistry, but its sweet, charming-without-being-gushy approach draws viewers in and its climactic tragedy - and especially the reaction of certain characters to it - hooks viewers firmly by handling it in an understated but emotionally powerful fashion. (And the way it uses its closer to enhance the end of the episode is a masterpiece of execution.) I gave it a 5 in the Preview Guide the season it came out and consider it one of the top two or three contenders in the whole tournament.

Group C-4
Ga-Rei Zero
vs.

Seen both, but not in quite a while. GRZ looks better, but its only other strength - its shocking ending - is easily balanced out by the incredible and beautifully imaginative opening action sequence in its competitor. Neither one seems like a stand-out to me, but since I have to make a decision I'll go with Noein on the basis that its first ep lays the groundwork for its series better, while GRZ's feels more like a gimmick.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Question for those who know the first ep of Nodame Cantabile well. I saw it a few years ago but never got far with the anime because for me it couldn't quite live up to the live action adaptation which I had seen first. One of the reasons for this was the use of stills for the performance scenes; however, I feel as if this might not have happened in the first episode. If someone could confirm whether this is right I would be thankful, since it definitely will play a part in my voting decision but I doubt I'll have the time or inclination to re-watch it.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette Yes, still images are used for the performance scenes, because it is expensive to animate such scenes. From what I know it is as expensive as doing well-animated battle scenes and it's hardly as marketable.

But I think this disadvantage is outweighed by the fact the comedy fits much better. I remember that when I watched Nodame live action, I found the cartoonish comedy disturbing. It didn't sit well with me. Chiaki mistreating Nodame to make her wash herself can be considered comical in anime, in a live action not so much.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Mini-game results.

TheNakedBeast has managed to catch up to Ggultra, with Tris and WhiteHairGirl filling in the 3 and 4 spots behind them, and then there's a huge tie at 5th (7 people).

And while Key may not have been at all surprised by the outcome this round, Aria was among the more heavily favored shows to advance past the first round, which makes for our largest upset so far.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not ready to vote but I just rewatched noein and then looked at the synopsis on the nomination page and thought it could use a rewrite, as about 90% of it is information you have been given no clue about.

Synopsis: In the near future,In some barren weasteland of undetermined nature, a violent battle(?) takes place between the dimension La'cryma (protector of humanity) and the dimension Shangri-La, bent on the annihilation of all space-time. some guys in tattered robes flying or falling through the sky and what seems to be a praying statue that looks vaguely Buddhist that is also falling, one of the guys, named Kurasu, seems to disappear with it in some sort of implosion. A group known as the Dragon Calvary is dispatched through space and time, searching for the only thing that can stop the invasion: the Dragon's Torque. In the present,. Elsewhere, in a normal town, rumors about ghosts seems to refer to sightings of these people in tattered robes showing up there as well and twelve-year old Haruka and her friend Yuu, are contemplating running away from home when they meet a member of the Dragon Calvary named Karasu (Crow). He believes that Haruka possesses the Dragon's Torque and claims to be someone they both know fifteen years in the future...mutters something about a "Dragon Torque" as he pursues Haruka- which might have something to do with a weird dragon chain thing that materializes around Haruka's neck when time stop at one point. At the end of the episode Yuu demands to know who Karusu is, Karusu, startled seems to realize something about the "dimension" he is currently in and tells them both that "I am you (Yuu")

I think you might see the problem I'm going to have with this episode. The synopsis as given is good- if even a portion of the crossed out information was actually given. As it is... mystery is good, but this comes off as pure obfuscation. Haven't watched Ga Rai Zero yet though so I can't say I won't vote for it but I wanted to mention that as the episode was fresh in my mind.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I literally yoinked that from the MAL page, and tried to remove the more spoilerific things, but I really only spent a few minutes on the whole synopsis. A majority of the effort was spent on the reasons why it's good first episode. I figured that it was the more important part.

EDIT: And I should have read the post more closely before responding. This was something that didn't need to be replied to. Razz
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Group C-1
Le Chevalier d’Eon
vs.
Nodame Cantible

Viewing history: I own Le Chevalier d’Eon on DVD; not watched in over 5 years. 1st time on Nodame Cantabile.
I bought all of Le Chevalier back in 2007 as singles (I have the paper slipcovers on all), but only ever watched the first volume.

Both were entertaining, but with one character to focus on instead of two, Le Chevalier d'Eon did a better job of giving you a feel for the main character, as well as provide an astonishing amount on information, introducing all the players, without feeling too overwhelming. The artwork was gorgeous as well. I am finally motivated to finish this one off.

Nodame Cantabile, was delightful, I will certainly continue, but outside of the music, and Nodame's quirks, I found little else that it would compete with Le Chev based on the first episode.

Vote for Le Chevalier d'Eon

Group C-2
Neon Genesis Evangelion
vs.
Koi Kaze

Viewing history: All of Eva is at least a once a year watch for me. Koi Kaze was a fairly recent view via Netflix.

Eva is one of my top five series, but the 1st episode is nothing special. For me, the anime really begins at #16 Splitting of the Breast.
Koi Kaze's first episode was good, I recall seeing the affinity of the characters grow before the episode ending shocker.

Not a tough vote for me, Koi Kaze.

Group C-3
Cross Game
vs.
Coyote Ragtime Show

Viewing history: Saw Coyote Ragtime via a Newtype preview disc, and unfortunately made a buy decision. First exposure to Cross Game.

I remember watching the first episode of CRS and being dazzled, action, body count, over the top plot twists.... In ways it might be the best first episode ever! Still impressive on a rewatch, promising a fun a rewarding rest of the series.... Ever buy something you hate? That said, if this episode had not been nominated, I would have nominated it.
It is paired against a powerhouse. It looks cutesy and shallow at first, but by the end, you realize what has been set up.
Out of all the firsts so far, I let this one run 5 episodes before I had to move on to 2 others in this bracket.

Group C-4
Ga-Rei Zero
vs.

Viewing history: Own and have seen both, but will be revisiting.

I expected this one to be a hard choice for me. I had remembered Ga-Rei-Zero to be a full 23 minutes of carnage, action and mayhem, and it delivered. If it is your type of thing, you would certainly continue.

As a series overall, I enjoyed Noein. Outside of the opening fight in this episode, not so much. Like Ga Rei Zero, at this point, you have no idea what is going on in the show, shadowy figures, domineering mom, airhead mom, responsible girl, studying student, ditsy girl, jock student, tomboy girl, sexy investigator/journalist, and scumy looking private detective. I would be interested in going on with the series, but nothing great here at all.

Vote for: Ga-Rei-Zero for at least giving a full episode (the fights) of what were the best points of both.

Last edited by Gewürtztraminer on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Yeah, I literally yoinked that from the MAL page, and tried to remove the more spoilerific things, but I really only spent a few minutes on the whole synopsis. A majority of the effort was spent on the reasons why it's good first episode. I figured that it was the more important part.

EDIT: And I should have read the post more closely before responding. This was something that didn't need to be replied to. Razz

I had a feeling that it was grabbed from somewhere and I should have mentioned that your second half does admit to the vagueness and does a pretty good job of defending it- whether it works or not Wink

I just watched Ga Rai Zero and up until the ending twist noein still had a chance to still win, but after that... less of a chance. Still have to think on it though.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Group C-1
Le Chevalier d’Eon
vs.
Nodame Cantible
voting for: Le Chevalier d’Eon

I REALLY want to vote for Nodame Cantible, and I kind of wish I could vote against Le Chevalier d’Eon, but both desires are based on my impressions of the shows as a whole, not the first episodes. I have not watched Nodame Cantible, but everything I've heard about it makes me think I'll really enjoy it and I've had it in a "rainy day anime" category, a show I save for a time when I've just watched too much crap and want to watch something anime-affirming again. And the first episode does nothing to dissuade me from thinking I won't really enjoy the show... and may continue watching it now that I've seen the first. It's a very good episode that presents characters and humor I think I'll really enjoy, the episode is structured with great economy and can almost be considered a stand alone story (How the strange girl fell in love with the uptight guy)- but I feel my impression is bassed largely on the fact that is "made for me"- I'm not sure it would impress someone not predisposed to like it in a similar way.
On the other hand, Le Chevalier d’Eon is a show that I dropped before the halfway mark, around the time they "say farewell" to Queen Elizabeth of Russia, but it was mostly because I came to hate the characters and decided I couldn't care what happened to them- plus, the character animation got worse and worse as the vocal performances in both languages remained listless and flat. These are not problems with the first episode- no, in fact the first episode is absolutely fascinating and fully prepared me for a show that I thought would really like. The main character seems likable, the historical background is fantastic, the animation at this point is crisp (except for what I think of as "goldfish mouth"- where mouth's when talking only open and close like a goldfish), the background art and attention to detail is absolutely exquisite, the mystery is very interesting and the little we get to see of the monster fighting in this episode is awesome and scary. Okay, maybe the slightest inkling is had that I may not like the characters in the show but mostly this is a fantastic first episode that will probably have my vote in this bracket until it goes against Cross Game, or further if CG gets knocked out.

Group C-2
Neon Genesis Evangelion
vs.
Koi Kaze
voting for: Koi Kaze

From recent comments I thought that it might be possible that people were having problems judging NGE in the opposite way of my D'eon problem- people couldn't view the first episode by itself because of the knowledge that it gets better. But after rewatching it again for the first time in at least five years I see that's maybe not the problem. Watched by itself it actually seems like the show could be a somewhat conventional mecha show. It has good action, it looks good, but the "angels" could, at this point, just be regular monsters of the week and though he has a Tantrum it is not yet clear just how unconventional and unwilling of a pilot he will be. In short, it's a good episode- but doesn't do anything extremely noteworthy- you have to wait for more episodes to see those sorts of quality.
Koi Kaze though, you know pretty quickly this could be something special. The guy is so dumpy and normal, his job is not some usual office work, he's a grown man who lives with his father, but he has such an instant connection to this young girl, that we can feel and it's that emotion that really resonates with you ore than any monster attack- the confusion and embarrassment he get s from his interaction with the girl and that tearful conversation in the ferris wheel feel so completely genuine. The only way you have a problem with this episode is foreknowledge of the plot of the show and refusal to believe this will be an honest exploration of the concept and not exploitation of it.

Group C-3
Cross Game
vs.
Coyote Ragtime Show
voting for: Cross Game

Everyone has heard the opinions, Coyote Ragtime Show does get worse, I agree completely, it does. I also agree though that the first episode is nice-looking, (mostly) a lot of fun that presents a great action piece and teases some really strong characters. I do spot one fault that might clue you in to upcoming problems if you notice, and that's a touch of tonal inconsistency. Most of the episode feels like a simply fun crime caper about a prison break. Take out the sci-fi elements and replace the constantly eating busty lady with a guy in a trenchcoat and it could be a Lupin scenario... except when the initially humorously attired android maid come down and... start slaughtering people. They don't just "defeat" them, they mercilessly slaughter prison guards who are just doing their jobs, or are even fleeing for their lives... I guess they attempt to play it off as "fun" because they're robo-maids, but a week after contemplating the slaughters in Elfin Lied and Deadman Wonderland, it's hard to not see them as senseless violence in show that otherwise uses bloodless crime.
Cross Game though, is perfect. I even love the idiosyncratic character designs, particularly appropriately cute for these characters as children. And it outdoes even Koi Kaze in genuine emotion and ultimately touching sadness.

Group C-4
Ga-Rei Zero
vs.
voting for: Ga-Rei Zero

I've already expressed my problem with Noein above, it's just so annoyingly vague, but the decision for a victor here was still close. It may be vague to the point of obfuscation, but they are very interesting teases, and I have watched the whole series to try to figure out what they could mean, and becasue I like the SoL aspects of the show as well. Still, the losers from the above matches would rank above both of these IMO.
Gai-Rai-Zero may have solid, stylish action but it seems as standard to me as an EVA/Angel fight, plus the twist of the episode does come off as harshly manipulative and as I argued against Tower of Druaga so memorably, I don't like show bluffs. But damn if that isn't one hell of a powerful twist and while we have been denied the interesting cast that we've already been introduced to, I have faith that it will be a very important event for what comes afterwards.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Howdy. Super late jump in here, hope ya don't mind. Missed the last 2-3 tournaments and I was going to pass this one up until the next one but I figured what the hell, why not jump in. FYI just to be clear my choices are going to be based on which show grabbed my attention better first and foremost. Secondly which I feel does a better job of getting you interested in seeing more of the show. I'm sure that's probably the jist of the purpose of this tourny but I'm just making my reasons clear for my selections. Just looking briefly as past winners so far it's also clear to me I need to remind myself only focus on the first episode of the series. So here I go...

Group C-1
Le Chevalier d’Eon
vs.
Nodame Cantible

Voting for: Chevalier d'Eon

Well between the two I felt d'Eon grabs viewers a bit more. It's a visual treat to say the least. So that right there makes ya stop for a second to take a look. Once you take a look you start a show that gets right to business as they say. You have a first episode that doesn't waste time getting started. It goes from 0-60 in a few seconds and keeps up the pace. As Ggultra said (despite voting against the show) you also get intorduced to d'Eon and see right away what he is willing to do. No taking 4-5 episodes to really show the main characters depth or even just a hint of it. I liked Nodame and it was nice but for me d'Eon had more impact.

Group C-2
Neon Genesis Evangelion
vs.
Koi Kaze

Voting for: Koi Kaze

At the risk of sounding like a parrot NGE gives a taste for sure but to me it failed to give that wow factor. It did at first feel like another mecha show to a small degree. Sure the angel fight was intense and was nice to see from the get go. You see this Shinji kid has some issues (Lord does he ever...imagine if they gave you a full Shinji right away?) and it looks like this will have some nice drama to it beyond the action. It did get me interested I won't lie. But again for me IMPACT is one of the keys and Koi Kaze gave more to me. Right from the start you are shown one of the key elements to the whole series. It grabs you emotionally from episode one. If you're going to watch the show then right away you're emotionally challenged shall we say. That's big to me so it gets my vote.

Group C-3
Cross Game
vs.
Coyote Ragtime Show

I think Key and Ggultra said it best so more parroting. Sorry lol. I think liek with Koi Kaze and NGE's matchup you have a battle of style vs emotion here. You have 2 very different shows with very different first episodes battling. If you're basing your vote on style then CRS wins easily. I think NGE would win too if that were the case for your vote. For me though once again it's IMPACT. CRS does a great job of getting you interested no doubt. With the style and action you at least want to see 1 or 2 more episodes to see what the fuss is all about. However, while Cross Game may not have the action or style of CRS it has just as much impact in the first episode. I think a bit more actually hence my vote. Like with Koi Kaze if you like the first episode you're emotionally invested from the start. You have an emotionally packed first episode that gets your butt in the seat and keeps it there. After the episode is over you got to see more. I think more often then not drama and emotion will beat out action and style if they're equal for a first episode in terms of impact. Not always but often. Did here at least.

Group C-4
Ga-Rei Zero
vs.

Voting for: Noein

To me on some level this feels like style vs style of different sorts. Visually I think GRZ has the edge but it does feel a bit....bland. As in not very original per se. Sure the ending is the hot point but overall it doesn't stand out as much as Noein does. Both have action but I think Noein did a better job of posing questions you want to see answered. It did a better job of really piquing your curiosity to keep ya watching. I have not watched all of GRZ honestly but again this is about first episodes, not the full series.

Sorry if I parroted a lot of what others said but I think people already said the key points I would've brought up anyways. Would be fun to see a Koi Kaze and Cross Game matchup.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Group C-1
Le Chevalier d’Eon
vs.
Nodame Cantible

I knew nothing of both shows and both managed to intrigue me way beyond my expectations. Le Chavalier d'Eon shows off some really great visuals, Production I.G. at its best. The story had me right from the get go and brought in alchemy and hints to some incredible conspiracies which are both good signs for me. But then it began to stumble over its own feet. I mean, the pacing was insane! Even if I didn't mean to watch the rest of the show, I would have to, if only to make sense of this episode's second half.
And that's what Nodame does not do. It's not crammed full with mysteries and shocking events but instead sports interesting characters. I've basically fallen in love with Nodame right off the bat, simply because she is the exact opposite of so many staple anime girls in other romantic settings.
I also agree with what SpasticMinnow said, that the first episode of Nodame can almost stand on its own. Yet it still urges me to continue it.

Vote for: Nodame Cantabile.

Group C-2
Neon Genesis Evangelion
vs.
Koi Kaze

I love NGE. Having said that, it is indeed true that the series only gets to its heights later. The first episode almost does everything right but it does so in a typical action-show-way: disaster, chaos, a fearsome enemy. It's all there, hints of conflict and open questions...BUT, how good is the first episode of Koi Kaze?! I didn't care during the opening minutes but found myself pulled in slowly but surely. Although there are no real emotional rollercoaster moments in the first episode it subtly declares where this is going. And I suspect that it's going to be a depressing and very uncomfortable place. Still though, sometimes you just have to pull through challenges like this.
Also, Koi Kaze gets HUGE credit for not going down the cliché siscon route with moe this and that and creepy fanservice moments. If that would have been the case, I wouldn't have lasted a mere 5 minutes.

Vote for: Koi Kaze.

Group C-3
Cross Game
vs.
Coyote Ragtime Show

Just finished watching the Cross Game episode. This has to be one of the best first episodes that exist in anime. I was a little put off by the look at first but before I noticed it I was smiling and rooting for Koh and Wakaba. The moment he talked to his parents about the Cafe and Batting Center being closed I didn't want to believe what would happen next, even though I knew better. I don't think I will be able to forgive Mitsuru Adachi for this. Ever.
Coyote Ragtime Show on the other hand was all sorts of flashy and gutsy fun. I think I'm going to continue this series since it has a nice old school sci-fi-anime feel to it but right now I am not really in a state of mind to go into details about the first episode. It would have stood a chance against a lot of other competitors but in this match-up there can only be one winner.

Vote for: Cross Game.

Group C-4
Ga-Rei Zero
vs.

Kind of a tough decision, but for the wrong reasons. I've seen Ga-Rei Zero and I actually thought it was a good show. But I had definitely remembered the first episode as being better. Except for the brilliant ending scenes, it is actually not that good. The animation looks stiff during some of the action scenes and the CG is a catastrophe. The design of the huge monsters...I don't even wanna talk about it.
It was my first time seeing something from Noein and I am...yeah well, I don't really know. At times, the art style seems really unique and at other times just crude, like a sketch comedy. Same thing with what's going on. I try to go into as many episodes as possible of the series I haven't seen so far with as little knowledge as possible and I didn't know anything about Noein. Honestly, I don't think I've learned too much during the opening episode. Parts of it feel like it could be some really awesome summer adventure, like the Goonies or Stand By Me. But the rest, mostly the parts with the mysterious guys in grey, feels uninteresting and too messy.
But in the end, I feel like the first episode of Noein at least is more ambitious than its competitor even though it's on the edge of failing completely.

Vote for: Noein.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 43