• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk Anime Project Launching

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1220

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Third AD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWibBuWvZbA

Casca is apparently moving her lips so i think the idea those could be made just for the commercials is a little sily.

I dont understand the criticism over the 2nd ad. I think it looks wonderful , the angles and the amount of frames. Yes Zodd leaving looks a bit odd but everything else looks great.

CGI with 2d draws can be used really well. GITS SAC used it alot.
Tarris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Not for sure if it is fake but this seems real. Anyways the youtube of CM 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfYAsuz7Q5E
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Third ad looks absolutely fantastic. And I agree, it does look like Casca is talking to someone. And the Behelit at the end gave me chills! I can't wait for the other commercials, I wanna know what this project will be and when it will be released! And since Casca was talking, this was another scene from the Golden Age, likely after she fell into the river and Guts took care of her. Each ad just gives more and more proof that this is a 100% total reboot. They've shown things from Golden Age all the way to the Millenium Arc. There's no way all that material could be covered in a movie or in a game. This has to be an OVA or a new TV series.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Ah right, the Berserk arc where Casca trades in her clothes for her new leaf outfit.

Hopefully those leaves are only for the commercial and not a sign of how many punches this new project is going to be pulling. Otherwise we'll be seeing a lot of leaves. And walkie-talkies.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Haha I've been checking Youtube every hour waiting for this. Give us some new material!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Ah right, the Berserk arc where Casca trades in her clothes for her new leaf outfit.

Hopefully those leaves are only for the commercial and not a sign of how many punches this new project is going to be pulling. Otherwise we'll be seeing a lot of leaves. And walkie-talkies.

well to be honest i could care less if they censor the hell out of it. the plots the important thing here, plot and characters, if they don't fudge that up, i don't care
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
A heavily censored Berserk doesn't sound very compatible with what the essence of Berserk is.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
A heavily censored Berserk doesn't sound very compatible with what the essence of Berserk is.

because Berserk is, at its heart all about the sex, violence, nudity and gore right?
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:

because Berserk is, at its heart all about the sex, violence, nudity and gore right?

You do need to admit though, that without the sex, violence, nudity, and gore, that it'd be a very difficult venture to tell Berserk's story faithfully >.> Like the Troll arc. I imagine that'd be a VERY different adaptation if it's censored heavily. Hell, some of the most vital scenes in the series are rapes. Guts got raped, Griffith raped Charlotte, Griffith raped Caska... again, it's be very hard to tell Berserks story faithfully without those things.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
But it is possible to tell the story, including the important and horrorific events that occur, without going into quite the level of... detail the original manga did with depicting such things.

A heavily censored Berserk? Yah, that wouldn't really work. A moderately censored Berserk? The first anime was pretty much that, and it was pretty popular.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
guitarist52692 wrote:
animehermit wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:

You do need to admit though, that without the sex, violence, nudity, and gore, that it'd be a very difficult venture to tell Berserk's story faithfully >.> Like the Troll arc. I imagine that'd be a VERY different adaptation if it's censored heavily. Hell, some of the most vital scenes in the series are rapes. Guts got raped, Griffith raped Charlotte, Griffith raped Caska... again, it's be very hard to tell Berserks story faithfully without those things.

you can still have those things, just not as graphically, showing it explicitly isn't going to change its overall meaning, with the exception being the spoiler[Griffith raping Caska scene].

i'm not saying that i dislike the more brutal elements of the series, i'm saying thats not the reason i watched/read it.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:

... Have you not actually read the manga?

Because yeah, a hell of a lot of it is.

spoiler[The very first panel of the manga is of Guts (uncharacteristically, before his identity was firmly established in later volumes) sticking it to some female apostle, and then blowing her head off with a bloodthirsty smile on his face a page later. This is Berserk.

Guts' initial explosive anger whenever anybody tried to touch him stemmed from Gambino making a quick buck by selling him for a night.

Casca's entire character is defined by rape. She idolizes Griffith because he saved her from that fate, and her personality from that point on is all about becoming a capable warrior to distance herself from that weak little girl who couldn't protect herself (and to aid her savior). She is constantly placed in danger of rape the entire course of the Golden Age arc, first during the 100-Man Slaughter and then during the extremely graphic attack by Wyald. When it's Griffith of all people, as Femto, that finally enacts her worst fear upon her, along with everything else that happened during that event, it destroys her mind. Even after that she's still rape target numero uno, occasionaly even by a distraught Guts himself. So, uh, yeah. Sex and rape plays a huge part with Casca's character.

Then there's Farnese and her very dark side concerning her sexual nature. While maybe not as important as Casca's, it's still a defining part of her character.

A massive sex orgy is what caused the Count to start down the path towards becoming an Apostle. Slan is an extremely sexual character. The entire downfall of Griffith during the Golden Age, aside from being distraught by Gut's departure, is caused by his night with Charlotte. After the King of Midland finds out, he in turn tries to have a night with her... Even Griffith isn't above whoring himself out. Rape and sexual torture is rampant in this series.

As for violence? lol. Come on. Not even just violence, but the ridiculous depictions of evil and depravity. The bottom line is that the entire world of Berserk is one of unspeakable evil and horrific, depressing events that people are forced to succumb to. Miura is constantly throwing as much of this stuff as he can into that world so that when Guts endures it all, and manages to overcome it, he becomes even more the hero and looks that much more badass.

So... yeah. The sex, violence, nudity and gore is an overwhelming part of Berserk's world and clearly a large part of what defines it.]

Mad_Scientist wrote:
But it is possible to tell the story, including the important and horrorific events that occur, without going into quite the level of... detail the original manga did with depicting such things.

A heavily censored Berserk? Yah, that wouldn't really work. A moderately censored Berserk? The first anime was pretty much that, and it was pretty popular.

The original anime didn't shy away from the nudity, and even that cut out spoiler[Guts' rape, and the entire (very sexually violent) encounter with Wyald]. IF this new project feels it necessary to throw a crapton of leaves onto Casca during the most sexually-innocent moment in the story, then there are probably going to be a lot more omissions than what didn't appear in the original anime.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Re: Leaves: Perhaps indicative of the now tried-and-tested method of increasing DVD/Blu-ray sales?

Walter wrote:
Rough translation of the kanji in the title (胎動) is "Fetal Movement" or "Quickening."

Again indicating that a new project is in the works.

Last edited by Sven Viking on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:

The original anime didn't shy away from the nudity, and even that cut out spoiler[Guts' rape, and the entire (very sexually violent) encounter with Wyald]. IF this new project feels it necessary to throw a crapton of leaves onto Casca during the most sexually-innocent moment in the story, then there are probably going to be a lot more omissions than what didn't appear in the original anime.

Well, I think it's fairly clear that those leaves are probably just there for the commercial, as tons of animes have absolutely no problem showing nudity (though sometimes not in the broadcast versions).

It just wouldn't make sense to try to sanatize Berserk to the level of "no nudity even in innocent situations."
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree about the lip movement, by the way. If this was test animation, it seems like a strange choice for testing lip-sync, and they've shown a lot of different scenes now when you include the two extra leaked shots. I'm now guessing that not only is there a new series, but it's already part-way done. Hopefully we'll get confirmation at the end of the advertising campaign, or soon after.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 15