• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wow... I think I actually like Rumbling Hearts.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
The ending was indeed the most fitting ending RH could have had. Personally, I would have disliked it if it turned out any other way.
And no, its not anything like ~After Story~, there's no cop-outs in RH's conclusion Razz ...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, whenever you do finish Rumbling Farts...er, I mean Rumbling Hearts, PJ, I guarantee you'll be bawling like a baby! Not like me, I was all manly and stuff, with no tears at all running down my craggy cheek. :wink:

Rumbling Farts, okay that made me have a good laugh. A couple of years ago, I saw an episode of this online when Funimation first released this (2006), but wasn't all that impressed.

The only show I'll watch with the title of Rumble, is School Rumble. The manga is decent, but the anime is hilarious and exceptionally enjoyable. Plus having Luci Christian playing spaztastic Tenma also helps.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
It's been a few years...this series was something of an interesting emotional experience for me, in that the ending was essentially what I wanted it to be, but the road to the resolution was perhaps a little too melodramatic and left me conflicted. So much so that I ended up watching Godannar right afterwards in order to restore some semblance of balance, as out of place as that might seem on the surface.

I almost wish that the epilogue was a little more uplifting...especially after doing some research into the original game and how it handled the situation in the route that was eventually chosen as the anime's main (but not only) source. In the end, Rumbling Hearts isn't exactly what I'd call a bad show, even if the protagonist was certainly very annoying you could somewhat understand where he was coming from, just one that's not an easy watch. To this day, I haven't actually re-watched it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, whenever you do finish Rumbling Farts...er, I mean Rumbling Hearts, PJ, I guarantee you'll be bawling like a baby! Not like me, I was all manly and stuff, with no tears at all running down my craggy cheek. Wink

As much as I have my weak spots, this show didn't hit them. The fact a love triangle existed in the first place (and thus the fact it must somehow be resolved) is the source of my problem with the story. spoiler[One way or another, an undeniable amount of meaningful passion resultantly counts for nought at the end, as one participant removes themselves or tries to find non-romantic compromise. Haruka's use of the children's storybook to do so did not satisfy me one bit, and had she conversely retained her desires for Narumi I'd have found the ending too sombre to appreciate the happiness, and yet too happy to succumb to the catharsis. I find that this sort of ambivalence doesn't equate to pertinence.]
To draw a contrast, I'd like to express how well I found SaiKano had similar entanglements but managed to avoid any 'triangular pitfalls' in its conclusion. However, such a show achieved this through brutal means unsuitable for the current title in question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I actually checked out this series again on Funimation site. I haven't done that since the show was first released. Needless to say, I am still unimpressed. Even though I've skimed through all fourteen episodes.

There were only two points about this show I really like. The fact the main cast were eighteen to begin with and its pretty obvious, but the fanservice was quite welcomed as well. I am not going to lie, typically I don't like fanservice, unless the characters are 18 or older.

I do agree with Nightjuan though, the ending should have been more uplifting. There certainly was a oportunity for that. Even neon genesis evangelion had a more postive ending than this show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I think it could be argued that the ending was positive - especially if you were rooting for the particular pairing that prevailed. The other point of the triangle ended up spoiler[successful in her chosen field] so that can't be considered a bummer, either. However, considering all that had happened spoiler[which made reconciliation among the friends impossible], a certain "downer" vibe at the end was unavoidable.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
To a certain extent I could agree with that last statement, but from I can recall it wasn't exactly impossible nor baseless for the ending to present things in a better light, after the fact, even taking into consideration what had just happened between the three main characters. I don't think the picture was ever going to be perfect, by any means, the show had already been too melodramatic for that, but ending things on a slightly more optimistic note at the same time wouldn't have been that hard to do. Adding a couple of scenes to the epilogue, for example, would have worked.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Happier endings are never "hard" to do. In fact, there is enormous pressure on films, TV shows, etc. to do exactly that because that's what most people want. I, on the other hand, appreciate when a show goes a little bit against the grain and doesn't provide that unalloyed feel-good ending that people seem to endlessly crave. Stuff happened in Rumbling Hearts that couldn't be undone. So yeah, the makers could have come up with a more upbeat conclusion, I guess, but I don't think that would have been true to the material.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Happier endings are never "hard" to do. In fact, there is enormous pressure on films, TV shows, etc. to do exactly that because that's what most people want. I, on the other hand, appreciate when a show goes a little bit against the grain and doesn't provide that unalloyed feel-good ending that people seem to endlessly crave. Stuff happened in Rumbling Hearts that couldn't be undone. So yeah, the makers could have come up with a more upbeat conclusion, I guess, but I don't think that would have been true to the material.

Let me be clear. I appreciate bittersweet endings but some work better than others. However, I'm not talking about changing the entire resolution into something equally happy for everyone so that any remaining difficulties would be completely overcome through the passage of time or anything like that...just modifications to the way the ending was presented to the audience, specifically the epilogue. Like I said, adding a scene or two would do.

I'm not talking about changing the status quo all the way back to the beginning or anything similar. As it is, the animated epilogue is actually trying to be upbeat, considering the circumstances, but it feels like it was cut just a bit short of what it was trying to portray. And not without reason, as it turns out, since this is in fact a game adaptation and not an entirely original series. Consider this nitpicking, if you will, but that's how I felt and still feel.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
And your feelings are as valid as anybody else's. As it happens, I was very moved by the epilogue and it worked on me as I'm sure the creators hoped it would work on some people. And thanks for taking the time to explain your point in more detail, I now have a better understanding of what you were driving at.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And your feelings are as valid as anybody else's. As it happens, I was very moved by the epilogue and it worked on me as I'm sure the creators hoped it would work on some people. And thanks for taking the time to explain your point in more detail, I now have a better understanding of what you were driving at.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. If there's anything that makes any conversation worthwhile are the differences of opinion, as long as they're handled through respectful means. Not to mention that if everyone shared my views on everything the world would likely be even more insane than it already is, but that's another matter. Laughing

I wouldn't say the epilogue failed, overall the intended message was communicated decently enough, just that it left me a little wanting in a couple of specific areas, which inspired me to go look into the original work and so on. That gave me the answers I was looking for.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Well, whenever you do finish Rumbling Farts...er, I mean Rumbling Hearts, PJ, I guarantee you'll be bawling like a baby! Not like me, I was all manly and stuff, with no tears at all running down my craggy cheek. Wink

Well, I finally got around to finishing this, and I have to say, I didn't even tear up.

Bummer. I was hoping for something which would.

spoiler[Takayuki ruined the entire series in terms of wanting a "crying" moment or two. Wow, I wished this guy had been the one in the coma, thus ending the series. Don't get me wrong, it's a good show, but there's only so much of this "OMG! I'm freakin' feeling sorry for myself and hurting everyone around me!" attitude I could take.

Hearing those train bells was a plus, but sadly, nothing came of it. Oh well.]

The waitresses made this show, hands down.

spoiler[At any rate, I'll just have to wait for another good show in which the story didn't try too hard to make those moments to tear up/cry.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Ah, PJ, truly you have a stony, dark heart...

...I bet you were hoping that Tiny Tim was gonna buy the farm, dintcha?
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
^you know, as much as I liked the show and its ending, I didn't tear up either. But quite a few other shows and movies have gotten me all teary-eyed, so my heart's not entirely hard Wink
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, PJ, truly you have a stony, dark heart...

...I bet you were hoping that Tiny Tim was gonna buy the farm, dintcha?

This is going to sound odd, but the last statement reminded me of the Subway's(a sandwhich shop in case you don't know) commerical of five dollar foot long.

But I saw the ending and found it more darker than it needed to be, but not sadning at all. I am a guy and I've seen much worse than this to even remotely shed a tear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12