• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED... wow!... Destiny... WTF?!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
BES Null Core wrote:
Destiny has an unconventional approach to its narrative that is much more interesting than the norm.

Yeah, as in making the "protagonist" a whiny, little brat with almost zero regard for anyone other than himself, and then having the writers take a piss and dump on everything the recurring characters from SEED had fought and died to accomplish.

A whiny, self-centered brat as the protagonist is not unconventional, given the number of satirical statements being made that such a characterization is standard for giant robot series. An unlikable protagonist has been used so often that it may have displaced the traditional hero as the largest cliche. I have explained what the unconventional approach is and will not repeat it here.

As for the second part, obviously the peace will be shattered if there is to be another conflict. The fact that the work of the characters in Seed was undone is hardly surprising.

Nerv1 wrote:
So basically its just a terrible re-hash of Seed with even more annoying characters?(Like Code Geass R2 but only worse)?

Seed:MSG::Destiny:Zeta
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Nerv1 wrote:
So basically its just a terrible re-hash of Seed with even more annoying characters?(Like Code Geass R2 but only worse)?

Not a re-hash, but a continuation, and a completely needless one at that.

BES Null Core wrote:
Destiny has an unconventional approach to its narrative that is much more interesting than the norm.

Yeah, as in making the "protagonist" a whiny, little brat with almost zero regard for anyone other than himself, and then having the writers take a piss and dump on everything the recurring characters from SEED had fought and died to accomplish.

There's even a clone of Mwu La Flagga in this one, who at one point "happens" to remember everything his counterpart did, which completely negates spoiler[ his death in SEED].

I recommend you save yourself the trouble now and just browse this thread for the spoilers.

That wasn't a clone, the flashback clearly showed him surviving the attack.

Neo Roanoke and Meer Campbell were the only good things about GSD after the first episode since Neo was hilarious, and Meer actually did have a sad story.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
guet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
BES Null Core wrote:
As for the second part, obviously the peace will be shattered if there is to be another conflict. The fact that the work of the characters in Seed was undone is hardly surprising.

It's not so much the fact the the characters work was undone. It's that the personal growth the characters made was undone.

Athrun is a perfect example of this. Even though he "knew what was worth fighting for" by the end of the first season, Destiny ignores this and starts him down the same path all over again, and does it much worse the second time around.

There is some entertainment to be found, but the annoying and frustrating changes, plus shoddy production values outweigh the merits of the series in my opinion.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Wow, thanks for the refresher. That makes it even worse now.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Wow, thanks for the refresher. That makes it even worse now.

He makes the impossible possible

It's just that the Director has taken that literally.
Sidhardha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
Geez, i really dont get all the criticism Destiny initiates. Well, i probably am biased as SEED and then DESTINY were my firsrt GUNDAM series - and Wing, Zeta e.t.c all followed after, but i enjoyed most of it and still would rank it abowe the current runing poor Gundam 00.

Of all Gundams i seen, Seed/Destiny still are my favourite - THE gundam. And while other parts sometimes had better story, or quality; for me THE Gundam series - is Seed/Destiny.

And tell me i am biased since it was first Gundam i seen, while for most of current people around it was Wing.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
guet wrote:
Athrun is a perfect example of this. Even though he "knew what was worth fighting for" by the end of the first season, Destiny ignores this and starts him down the same path all over again, and does it much worse the second time around.

You have given a perfect example of the fallacious criticism of Destiny. Read what you've written: Athrun "knew what was worth fighting for," not "who was worth fighting for." The two are not equivalent terms. The fact that he spoiler[took ZAFT's side initially in the new war] does not constitute a character regression or development. In no review did the critic actually address whether spoiler[ZAFT in the second Bloody Valentine War acted as it did in the latter part of the first Bloody Valentine War.] The issue is critical if one wants to use Athrun as an example of character regression, but it cannot be established as true, because it isn't.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
Wow....SEED D discussion...hooboy.

While SEED was moderately good, D was a travesty, not so much in giant robot fashion, but in characterization. Shinn starts out as the protagonist, but when Kira and crew comes back, all attention switches over to them leaving a story about a troubled youth who grows to learn that war...y'know SUCKS, to Kira basically saying "You have the right to believe and do what you want...but if me and Lacus don't agree, I'll use my super powers to change your minds."

Its the love affair the writer has with Athrun and Kira that drives the show down, with her refusal to have them seen in anything other than the most positive light out there, even to the point of after a huge battle, one character gets a magical button that saves his life. And lets not even bring Mwu into this, that ALONE should make anybody cringe.

This is all my opinion anyways, but if you like robots and don't give a crap about characters, go ahead and watch. If you want coherant plots and characters, run away.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
This is all my opinion anyways, but if you like robots and don't give a crap about characters, go ahead and watch. If you want coherant plots and characters, run away.

I like my giant robot series to have giant robot fights. This did not disappoint. If I want exciting character development, I can watch something else.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
If you want coherant plots and characters, run away.

If only you could blame the Tomino Syndrome. But the guy had nothing to do with the SEED series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
I like my giant robot series to have giant robot fights. This did not disappoint. If I want exciting character development, I can watch something else.

Not to be mean or anything, but you have incredibly low standards. The battles in SEED Destiny weren't even that well done beyond the energetic opening seven episodes. For a Mecha Anime, if things like plot, character development and the like are ignored or ridden roughshod, then it should at least have exciting battles. It couldn't even do that, for the most part.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
OnanRulz wrote:

Not to be mean or anything, but you have incredibly low standards. The battles in SEED Destiny weren't even that well done beyond the energetic opening seven episodes. For a Mecha Anime, if things like plot, character development and the like are ignored or ridden roughshod, then it should at least have exciting battles. It couldn't even do that, for the most part.

I don't know if I'm making sense when I say this, but from the few times I've seen Gundam fights (like on eps of Wing, or even YouTube clips of random Gundam battles), from a purely aesthetic standpoint, the fights don't seem very fluid or well-animated. Maybe it's because they're more "tank-like" than the super variety of robos, but Gundam fights look herky-jerky and awkward to my eyes.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I got around to watching it today and I have to say, I"m already disappointed with the show. The spoiler[death of Shinn's family in the first couple of minutes made me laugh my ass off and the stealing of the 3 new Gundam units made me realize that the plot is gonna be almost exactly the same as Seed(only from the ZAFT point of view). ] Plus the martial arts high-jackers was extremely silly, even for a Gundam series. Maybe I should just stick to watching 00
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
OnanRulz wrote:

I'm a simple man when it comes to robot-on-robot violence.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Wow....SEED D discussion...hooboy.

While SEED was moderately good, D was a travesty, not so much in giant robot fashion, but in characterization. Shinn starts out as the protagonist, but when Kira and crew comes back, all attention switches over to them leaving a story about a troubled youth who grows to learn that war...y'know SUCKS, to Kira basically saying "You have the right to believe and do what you want...but if me and Lacus don't agree, I'll use my super powers to change your minds."

I'd be inclined to agree with you, if the other side of the argument wasn't Shinn, one of the best wielders of the Idiot Ball in fictional history (an easy-to-set-off Berserker Button doesn't exactly help either). Honestly, if someone like him was running freely, it wouldn't be long before everyone was yelling for some restriction to this "freedom" thing. When Kira came to steal the show, I was like, "thank god, I'll take a God Mode Sue over this moron ANY DAY."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13