• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chocobos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
It may not be an anime, but a very good animation.
Mortal Kombat Legends
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:48 am Reply with quote
I just finished Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory (TV), which ended with 10 episodes. It is a rather ecchi series, where despite even its joke around censorship doesn't back away from showing the whole nip, and has a lot of implicit downstairs too. In some ways it is less problematic than other fanservice series, with the fact the women are generally college aged adults. And in other ways problematic as the principle male character is a kid, and sure has a lot of accidentally inappropriate interactions.

So, it isn't really a loli centric fanservice show, but occasionally dips itself into what might be shota fanservice, in fact I think that there is an implication of the women enjoying shota stuff. To completely out myself as a degenerate, I can note things as problematic if there were chances of it being more formative with certain attitudes, like stop exposing this poor kid to your genitals. But also a little fun, like I really enjoyed the parts where he was put into costumes, even crossdressing when trying to sneak into the all girls college.

My rating would be Decent (6/10), I didn't really lose my time watching, I might have even enjoyed me some fanservice, but I probably am not going to try and convince others that there was much more than the fanservice. Maybe that I liked the 12 year old main character, and there was a bit of a turn away from usual gender tropes.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I just finished [b]Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory (TV)...

Did anyone else expect Serene Hozumi to start talking about her Super Cub? Yuki Yomichi uses the exact same voice for Serene as she does when Koguma is acting as narrator.

All throughout the show, I kept thinking, SOMEONE buy Sutea Koroya a cooling vest.

Kept my interest enough to watch all the way through (unlike some some highly touted shows of the past), but there was no character memorable enough for me to miss.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
I just watched the Star Wars: Visions mini movies, which are generally all about 15 to 20 minutes long, but there is 9 of them, so I only really registered afterwards that I just watched an over 2 hour long anthology movie.

For the record, I am a fairly big Star Wars fan, which I know isn't exactly unique. Not that I have seen all the animated stuff, except for the recent Bad Batch, but a lot of the games have been my thing. Generally Star Wars with anime is going to be my thing.

Looking at other comments, I do agree with a general consensus that there was way too much of a reliance of Jedi vs Sith stories, which does just generally feel like a bunch of studios/creators finding out that they could make a Star Wars anime had them all wanting to do the Jedi thing. A Star Wars fan of a reasonable level should understand that there is a sort of poetic element to the Jedi samurai thing that popped a few times in the short films, that the franchise was actually inspired by old samurai movies, so really it is coming around. It was sort of paid off already in a particular episode of the Mandalorian TV series that leaned heavy into the samurai influences. And The Mandalorian series is kind of also the perfect example that Star Wars stories can be told without relying so heavily in Jedi vs Sith.

Each of the episodes probably could be looked at in depth for elements, but I am probably going to make some generalities that I liked repeated appearances of the different aliens of the canon, although a furry bunny girl was a new one. Music had some good additions. Being a big Trigger fan, that was something I was looking forward to, and I liked both the over the top one, and the more subdued one, the first one essentially did the Trigger thing of ending in space in a ridiculous matter spoiler[(riding on top of an X-wing with in hyperspace and using a giant sabre to chop a destroyer in half)].

My rating is Good (7/10), it is worth seeing.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I just finished My Next Life as a Villainess X. It had a very heartwarming climax just like Season 1, and I love the new characters! Katarina/Maria is still OTP.

I'm also watching Futari wa Pretty Cure and almost done with it! It's so good! Pretty Cure really is the perfect anime franchise. Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure is still awesome also, and Manatsu/Laura is the second OTP of the year.

Speaking of OTPs, The Aquatope on White Sand continues to be both soothing and hitting on the heartstrings, and I ship Fuuka/Kukuru so much. Wonderful side characters, too.

Kageki Shoujo!! is excellent and I believe there's only one more episode. Ai and Sarasa are wonderful characters and so are the other first-years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:50 am Reply with quote
I just finished Remake Our Life, finishing on its 12th episode. Now, this would not have been my original plan to talk about this series when it finished, originally there was a discussion in the Series Discussion section, but for whatever reason it seemed to disappear, and a search for it does have it show up, but says that it doesn't exist anymore. A shame, because I had talked about it a bit.

Anyway, character goes back in time and decides to take a more creative choice of career, does pretty well with it, but hints of cracks. The cracks apparently shine through when he spoiler[goes forward in time, and the people that were meant to be big people in the industry, and he went to school with, stopped doing their art because he made them all feel like they were nothing without his project management of them]. It kind of hit a bit weird, that we were following him as he thought spoiler[that he killed the enthusiasm of people who would be geniuses, before he kind of got some different perspectives that what he worked on might have create some other geniuses]. And in the final episode when he seems to have spoiler[despite having a good life and seeing things are not hopeless, even sees his wife return to the art she loved, and still for whatever reason decides to go back in time].

Honestly, I am a little confused over the meaning of this last bit, where I thought that there was a message about, no one should be blamed for thinking they stopped a genius from existing, just because they did something well. That some responsibility should rest on people managing themselves, even if you want to push for people not to give up, but then it kind of slides back from that in the end. The weird feeling I had was that it was some sort of idolisation education, returning to that point, when I also thought that it was kind of cool that the series actually moved past that.

I don't know, I will just give my rating; Good (7/10), its worth seeing, I just don't quite get the note it wanted to finish out on.
Chocobos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Super Heroes Dragon Ball and am dissapointed. Episode 39 is the final episode, but it doesn't look like the ending at all and is no different to the previous episodes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Re-Main wrapped today, and I was quite pleased with how it all turned out. Really, the ending was perfect. I was kind of wondering what they'd do mid-season when spoiler[his memories returned but he forgot his present (not sure that's how amnesia works...) and it turned out his past self was a total asshole and he was back to being that guy.] But I have no complaints about how they handled the story from there. I'd watch another season, though I don't expect it to get one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:22 am Reply with quote
I also finished Re-Main. In my opinion, the forcing amnesiac into sport he used to be good at, was going to be kind of a finicky point, as it was more interesting following the guy trying to get a handle of things. And while it did manage to make me like the character, I would almost say it was kind of upsetting when spoiler[he lost his current memories and reverted to the jerk he was before the accident]. It was making me like the show less, and missing the way things were before.

My rating is going to be So-so (5/10), because honestly it didn't really grab my attention that much, being quite often on the bottom of my watch list.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
I watched Peach Boy Riverside but I watched it in chronological order. I quite liked it. I feel like it's cut from the same cloth as something like Akame Ga Kill where it sort of has this edgelord vibe to it, but it doesn't go too hard in that direction. While it has a character like Mikoto there for some cool violence and murderous anime expressions, the actual main character is someone who wants to rid the world of conflict. It had pretty decent animation and cool fight scenes. The show flowed naturally in the chronological order and I get a distinct feeling that the decision to air the show out of chronological order came out at the last second. Mikoto's motives and mentality in particular slowly develop as the story goes on so I'm not certain, but I feel like his character would feel really inconsistent when watched in out of chronological order.

Now I'm watching Demon Lord, Retry for some reason. It's so bad. The story feels really aimless. Yet, I can't really explain why, but I sort of like it. It has that weird charm that some of these lame LN adaptations have. The characters are paper thin but so silly. There's a holy priest who is a chuuni and keeps muttering the usual chuuni shit about her dark powers while casting holy magic. There's a character named Shrimpfry Butterfly who has a sister named Oysterfry. So dumb, but sort of funny.

I definitely plan to watch Remake Our Life at some point so Dusky giving it a good rating seems like a good sign.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
The show flowed naturally in the chronological order and I get a distinct feeling that the decision to air the show out of chronological order came out at the last second. Mikoto's motives and mentality in particular slowly develop as the story goes on so I'm not certain, but I feel like his character would feel really inconsistent when watched in out of chronological order.

Yep, one of my complaints of the show in how it was in release order was how confusing it was that characters were on so many inconsistent levels of development, that it was really hard to figure out what a character was meant to be like at any episode. Extra confusing was with Sally herself where her power level weirdly varied by episode and the awareness of others to it.

The only positive I could really think of was a certain vagueness to the Oni side that could keep you on your toes of the priest guy's motives, which I think played with what order it was in.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I was in the mood for a good otome anime so I rewatched Meiji Tokyo Renka. It's definitely become my favorite otome show. The guys are all likable to the point where I flip flop on who I want Mei to be with and Mei is adorable, especially with the slight lisp. That, and, out of all the otome anime I've seen this is like the only instance where the MC actually chooses a guy, gets to declare I love you, and has a kiss scene between the two.

Quote:
Now I'm watching Demon Lord, Retry for some reason. It's so bad. The story feels really aimless. Yet, I can't really explain why, but I sort of like it

This was my experience with it as well. Honestly, I feel like it mostly has to do with Kenjiro Tsuda voicing the MC. The whole thing (minus Yukikaze) was so bizarrely entertaining that I'd probably watch a second season of it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote
I've been watching Tsukimichi. I sort of like it. It's kinda amusing and light hearted, just dumb fun. To me, Tomoe is star of the show. I feel like for a LN isekai story like this with an overpowered protagonist Tomoe has unusual amount of agency.

I also watched To Your Eternity. Definitely going to be a top 5 anime for the year. The last arc was a bit weaker than the rest. I felt like the writing started relying more on contrivances to get to next plot point. But it was an excellent show otherwise. I really liked the opening.

I've been thinking of catching up to some of the new Fall season shows. But I've kinda gotten hooked on Muv-Luv's visual novel. Tsukimichi has kinda been on hold because of it too. I'll probably follow the new Muv-Luv Alternative anime but since I just beat Muv-Luv Unlimited I think I'll just first play through the Alternative visual novel and then catch up to the anime, see how it stacks up to the VN.

Anyway, I guess that means playtime's over. Time for despair. I'll see you guys on the other side. Bye-bye.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Finally finished The Duke of Death and His Maid. I know that a lot of people were put off by the sexual harassment (which imo was a cheap gimmick to garner interest), but it's actually a charming show with a likable cast of characters and an interesting story. The cheap looking CGI even had some charm to it. I'm happy that it's getting a second season and will probably get the manga once it's starts getting released.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Been going through some 2021 back log and ended up dropping both shows.

Super Cub-Didn't like a single thing about it. I only watched the 1st episode and found it boring.

Odd Taxi-This is definitely an unpopular opinion, but even after 5 episodes I couldn't get into this. I thought the plot was interesting, but not enough to continue watching characters that I feel indifferent about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1044 of 1062