• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami on [adult swim].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
So rather than air stuff an adult audience will want, Toonami will air kids shows and shows incapable of getting an adult audience because of the personal taste of a few. Gotcha.

Like Hypeathon said, you're probably already watching the stuff you like elsewhere, so why do you care? Toonami is geared toward casual fans, not hardcore otaku. Could they do better? Sure. But this is probably the best they can do for now since they're sharing a channel with Cartoon Network and don't have a high budget. Either way, it's not likely they'll air anything you like but you're probably already watching it elsewhere, anyway.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
That's the thing though. For a block that's supposed to be targeting casual viewers,they are getting the most obtuse, niche stuff only hardcores would care about rather than anything casual. And kids shows. They should be trying to get more casual viewers, but as the ratings clearly show, Cashern Sins and Eureka 7 appeal to only hardcores...who have seen them before. Casual fans are therefore left to snap off their TV after the Cleveland Show ends.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
That's the thing though. For a block that's supposed to be targeting casual viewers...

Dude, you didn't even answer rinmackie's question! Why do you give a f***? So the shows on the block and the block itself isn't subscribing to your definition of "causal viewers"? Why in the right freaking mind does that piss you off so much that you feel like automatically soapboxing and picking fights with anyone who has an opposing opinion in any Toonami-related thread in the forums about it?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I was referring to casual anime fans!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
That's the thing though. For a block that's supposed to be targeting casual viewers...

Dude, you didn't even answer rinmackie's question! Why do you give a f***?

Perhaps we like to see the block succeed? But the way it's being handled by CN/AS, it looks like the Twitter Campaign some months back looks nothing more than the idiocy of some Advertising Executive who looked thru the archives, saw how Toonami was popular back then, and using his "book smarts" he learned in some pricey 6 figure college, figured such an idea could prop up the ratings on AS Saturday Nights. But with a piss-poor budget and a crap selection.

Hypeathon wrote:
Here is something on the Toonami 2012 Facebook page that aummarizes what kind of programming block Toonami was, is and will be.

Oh for fu......

Look, the main issue on this board is the Anime shows. I could care less if they showed old Thundercats or Chuck Norris Karate Commandos or hell, WMAC Masters!! However, that graphic does show how out of touch AS is with the fans it seems.

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
So was I. The type of fan who enjoys watching anime but will ignore boring obtuse material like Casshern Sins and Samurai 7. Like how a UFC fighter wore a DBZ scouter to the.cage on live TV and spoke about DBZ in the interview after winning. the guys who will sit down for action but ignored Moribito in droves.

As for why I care, well, I like having a block I can watch, and it doesn't seem like it should be that hard. Then someone decides airing kids shows and the over 9,000th rerun of Bebop is a good idea and actively sneers at those who disagree. It's dialog, not soapboxing, which is seems those that are defending the block do whenever someone insults it even slightly.

And for the record, WMAC masters? Just air whatever fight card is on AXS TV this week.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see this new Toonami succeed, but I have plenty of outlets for anime so I don't need it to succeed either. It isn't where a lot of people would want it to be at the moment. But, I remember that the original Toonami wasn't all that great at the start before either. Thundercats (original version), Voltron, The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest (a show that has been revealed that they didn't really want), and some really old and dated action shorts from the 1960s. I'm pretty sure that it was like that for a year or two.

So now we have Toonami back and it hasn't even been a good 6 months yet. Once again, it isn't where I or a lot of people want it to be, but it is doing what it can with a shoestring budget. Seems to be a lot of focus on the negative around here. Claims that it is failing even though it is getting better ratings than the Adult Swim anime block that it replaced. I'm no TV ratings guru, but I think they're doing pretty well given the timeslot they are locked into. Plus, they are trying changing things up and keep it fresh to a degree so I'll give them a small credit for that. All in all, this just need some time and fan support to grow. Rome wasn't built in a day as they put it. So kick back, relax, and try to actually enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
So was I. The type of fan who enjoys watching anime but will ignore boring obtuse material like Casshern Sins and Samurai 7.

Okay, time out. Casshern Sins is one thing since clearly has its flaws, but this is my first time watching Samurai 7. I missed its run on IFC, alright? And right now, I'm really digging it. My friend is probably digging it. Everyone in the talkback threads on Toonzone is digging it every week. Reghardless of whether I'm a fanboy or not, I would heavily disagree that the show is boring and obtuse. So let's cut that out for a moment. Chances are not everything you've watched that felt bad in whatever way it was may not translate the same to other people, alright?

Quote:
As for why I care, well, I like having a block I can watch, and it doesn't seem like it should be that hard. Then someone decides airing kids shows and the over 9,000th rerun of Bebop is a good idea and actively sneers at those who disagree.

When you say "someone", who are you really referring to? Jason DeMarco and the folks at Adult Swim or some random fan on the internet who are posing as spokespeople? Maybe I missed something, but Jason DeMarco is still airing Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell and shows that had their run on Cartoon Network because it's easier to broadcast some kind of content that's cheap to hold on to. It's a matter of being practical with their budget.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if you even honestly know or probably suscribe to the fact that late night blocks in a channel don't get the most money for content during the day. I also want Toonami to succeed too. I really do. But.... at the same time, I heavily keep in mind that this is not the same Toonami as it use to be and the block needs to start from the ground up in some ways. I don't really know if you believe there's a budget to the block or not or a strategy to how to run a block without having any big problems, but I believe so and not just because Jason DeMarco said so either. Justin Sevakis said that there's a difference between running a daytime block and a late-night one on an episode of ANNCast. This is the guy who worked at Central Park Media and then decided to start up and run a 24-hour, anime only cable channel. Guess how that ended up for him? You need a good idea on what running a late-night programming block is like, go ask him. Or better yet, ask that kind of question for Hey Answerman and if Brian Hanson decides to read your question, he may get Justin Sevakis to help answer your question.

Look, is Toonami how I want it to be? No. Personally I would like the block to start at 11 or 11:30, but that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen any time soon. I would like for Toonami to air something like Sengoku Basara, Soul Eater, Darker than Black Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Tiger & Bunny, Blue Exorcist, or even Madoka Magica or Gundam Unicorn. I would like it to fully air the Funimation version of One Piece. I would like them to air movies like Redline or Summer Wars or FMA: The Sacred Star of Milos. But I'm not going to seriously pretend that any of those is exactly what Jason DeMarco also had in mind. I don't know nwhat his plans or strategies are and I'm going to pretend to know or set my expectations high about it.

Sunday Silence wrote:
Oh for fu......

Look, the main issue on this board is the Anime shows. I could care less if they showed old Thundercats or Chuck Norris Karate Commandos or hell, WMAC Masters!!

Whether you could care less about what airs that's not anime isn't why I showed that Facebook post. I did it to make it really clear for everyone what kind of programming block intends to be, whether you had something else in mind or not.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
And for the record, WMAC masters? Just air whatever fight card is on AXS TV this week.

Joke flew over your head.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quote
Nah, I get where you're coming from, but damn if mentioning that show doesn't make me feel old. It was like, MMA sanitized for the grade school set.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Alright, cool.

Hypeathon wrote:
Quote:
As for why I care, well, I like having a block I can watch, and it doesn't seem like it should be that hard. Then someone decides airing kids shows and the over 9,000th rerun of Bebop is a good idea and actively sneers at those who disagree.

When you say "someone", who are you really referring to? Jason DeMarco and the folks at Adult Swim or some random fan on the internet who are posing as spokespeople?

I dunno, maybe both? I figure calling you an apologist would be an insult to apologists everywhere. And I have to say, AS (not DeMarco) is to blame for the mess. But when all's said and done, guess who will be left holding the bag?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Please stop the excessive quoting. Just put "@user" or quote the relevant parts. Stuff like this:

Beatdigga wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
So rather than air stuff an adult audience will want, Toonami will air kids shows and shows incapable of getting an adult audience because of the personal taste of a few. Gotcha.

Like Hypeathon said, you're probably already watching the stuff you like elsewhere, so why do you care? Toonami is geared toward casual fans, not hardcore otaku. Could they do better? Sure. But this is probably the best they can do for now since they're sharing a channel with Cartoon Network and don't have a high budget. Either way, it's not likely they'll air anything you like but you're probably already watching it elsewhere, anyway.

That's the thing though. For a block that's supposed to be targeting casual viewers,they are getting the most obtuse, niche stuff only hardcores would care about rather than anything casual. And kids shows. They should be trying to get more casual viewers, but as the ratings clearly show, Cashern Sins and Eureka 7 appeal to only hardcores...who have seen them before. Casual fans are therefore left to snap off their TV after the Cleveland Show ends.

I was referring to casual anime fans!

is fugly. Anymore efforts like that will be edited into deletion, so please stop doing it. Thanks.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
Sym-Bionic Titan is indisputably a kid's show but not "childish" by my reckoning. Not quite at the crossover appeal for older folks that I think, say, Samurai Jack has, but Titan is newer and I have to admit that it features a giant robot beating up monsters. This kind of helps. Also, it was BS how Cartoon Network only ran it once.

Would that they could somehow grab Gurren Lagann next.

That said, beyond the fabulous 1st two episodes, Cartoon Network's ThunderCats show genuinely does not fit here. It's almost Kekkaishi tier right there. Loved the style & animation and what it was trying to do, but the narrative was usually overly simple and too obvious. The show was too "safe" for lack of a better way to put it. It did have some fun moments though.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
@TonyK Fair enough.

Kids shows are a real slippery slope on an adult block. Remember when they tried airing Clone Wars on Adult Swim Action? Yeah, that didn't work out at all. Kekkaishi, similarly, bombed in reruns.

On second thought, WMAC Masters probably would get better ratings than Sym-Bionic Titan with the 18-34 set. It's that or just air SHOOTO. Wink
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
On second thought, WMAC Masters probably would get better ratings than Sym-Bionic Titan with the 18-34 set. It's that or just air SHOOTO. Wink

You could advertise it as "what happens when MMA goes g-rated!!" That would entice stoners right away.

Then again, remember both Toonami Midnight Run and Saturday Video Entertainment System? Those made sense with the programming it had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 16