• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Interest: List of Winter 2011 TV Anime in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
Hourou Musuko Why are there stories like this? Are they really pushing the envelope that much. Or does the new generation love controversial over conventional? Better than Moe I guess.
I completely don't understand what you mean. When someone mentions which of the winter shows they are interested in, and they make no mention of Hourou Musuko, I take the benefit of the doubt that they are just not interested in very slice-of-life young teen drama. That's what Hourou is, just with a bit of a twist. Honey and Clover had a bit of a twist too, along with most anime. So saying "controversial" and "stories like this" are a bit ill contrived don't you think? Anime isn't all robots, ninjas and alien girls.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
So saying "controversial" and "stories like this" are a bit ill contrived don't you think? Anime isn't all robots, ninjas and alien girls.
MOE, incest and transgendered slice of life anime getting the popular vote is what I commented on. It's what popular now. I have no choice but to accept it.

And yes, anime has much more to offer. No one knows this more than I. How much further will they push until no one watches?
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
There are transgendered people in the real world, and they might really appreciate a show that is about them, it's not some fetish (though some fetishes are harmless anyway), it's someone's gender identity, why on earth would you compare it to incest or moe, what you're saying is coming off as prejudiced.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
There are transgendered people in the real world, and they might really appreciate a show that is about them, it's not some fetish (though some fetishes are harmless anyway), it's someone's gender identity, why on earth would you compare it to incest or moe, what you're saying is coming off as prejudiced.

Anything can be a fetish, regardless of whether it's also someone's gender (or other) identity.

Like, say a person raised Catholic, but found the religious part of his childhood extremely traumatizing and grew extremely estranged from his childhood faith. Since then, he had a fetish about Catholic girls as an expression of his own insecurity. "Catholic" isn't usually a fetish, but a religious identity. For that particular person, though, it would be a fetish.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
Past wrote:
So saying "controversial" and "stories like this" are a bit ill contrived don't you think? Anime isn't all robots, ninjas and alien girls.
MOE, incest and transgendered slice of life anime getting the popular vote is what I commented on. It's what popular now. I have no choice but to accept it.
You forgot to mention boy's love and yuri. Rolling Eyes
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
OtakuExile wrote:
Past wrote:
You forgot to mention boy's love and yuri. Rolling Eyes
There's also the factor that Wandering Son is an award winning manga ~ which people looking at the chart may have discovered even if they had no idea before it showed up on the chart ~ and that there is going to be a slice of "noitaminA block voting" which is deciding between Fractale and Wandering Son, which will also boost its vote.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Hourou Musuko is about a boy and a girl each struggling with their gender identities, and trying to cope in a world that doesn't understand their problems.

However the story (the manga anyway) is mostly told with respect to universal expectations of gender conformity, regardless of what some people think or feel about themselves. It is both lighthearted and very realistic, so I think it would be a good anime even for people with an "eww" impression of transexuals, since there are many characters in the story they could relate with and reflect on how transgendered youth are typically treated by society. My hope is that anyone can watch this show with an open mind and gain a new understanding of this phenomenon.
ChazOSkulls

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
*browses through summaries*

Quote:
Oga Tatsumi is a first year in Ishiyama High, the school for delinquents.

Quote:
A normal high school boy Kisaragi Ryuji's peaceful life is turned into...

Quote:
...transfer student to St. Marguerite Academy.

Quote:
Shuicihi Nitori appears to be a shy and quiet preteen boy, when he transfers to a new school...

Quote:
he's given a scholarship and enrolled in a school that specializes in training IS pilots...

Quote:
Aikawa Ayumu is a normal high school boy...

Quote:
Madoka is a kind, friendly, but ordinary second-year middle school girl...

Quote:
A sequel to the series Mitsudomoe, Zoryochu continues the adventures of teacher Satoshi Yabe

Quote:
Junior high school student Nao is determined to make her brother, high School student Shuusuke, see her as a woman...

Do I really need to say anything else? The complaint makes itself. Our medium doesn't seem to understand the word "stale".
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
I noticed the same thing, ChazOSkulls. It's sort of depressing. There's only a couple of titles (yes, "couple" means two) that seem like they *might* be interesting. All in all, kind of bleak for my tastes, and Spring isn't looking much better. Sad
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
This does seem like sort of a boring lineup we've been presented with. That said, I have 3 shows I definitely want to watch, then I'll be casting out 7 lines and hoping to reel in a couple of good ones.

Really interested in:
Beelzebub
GOSICK
Kimi ni Todoke 2
(been looking forward to this one for awhile)

I'll watch the following 7 series until I get bored with them:
Dragon Crisis!
Freezing
Infinite Stratos
Mitsudomoe Zoryochu!
Oniichan no koto nanka this is taking too long
Yumekui Merry
Fractale

I'm not sure how many of those I'll finish, but I'll be happy with 3 out of 7 keeping me entertained.

I'm also going to pay attention to the early reviews of Hourou Musuko. I'm not really interested in it at all but I see from many of the posts here that there are a lot of people looking forward to it. If the reviews of the first couple episodes are pretty good I may give the series a shot. And if they aren't very good or are just average, I won't have to waste my time watching.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:20 am Reply with quote
Nosferatu21 wrote:

As with Oreimo, this one is begging to be abbreviated.

I suspect the result will be OniKoto.
excaliber736

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, as ChazOSkulls already pointed out, most of the shows this season seem to be recycling one aspect or another of the tired old high school theme.

The only shows in this lineup which have got me even remotely interested are GOSICK, because who knows: it may actually turn out to be an interesting horror show, and Hourou Musuko just because its something different.

GET WITH IT ANIME WRITERS. HIGH SCHOOL HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE. *continues ineffectual raging*

At least spring looks a little more promising.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
Past wrote:

Have you even read the series? To mention it alongside moe and incest is kind of insulting.

It is a good series and one of which many within the trans community itself consider good. It is not just out to be controversial nor is it for fanservice in anyway.

Well, I didn't really finish it, but that is definitely the vibe I got from it back when I was reading it.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Nosferatu21 wrote:

The titles are only too long if you don't speak japanese.

MY SISTER CAN'T BE THIS CUTE

and

I DON'T LIKE YOU AT ALL, ONIICHAN!
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
Nosferatu21 wrote:

The titles are only too long if you don't speak japanese.

MY SISTER CAN'T BE THIS CUTE
and
I DON'T LIKE YOU AT ALL, ONIICHAN!
Too long for the Japanese boards to write out all the time ~ it'll be abbreviated. Remember that it was in Japan that Maria-sama ga Miteru was abbreviated to Marimite.

Onikoto seems likely, Onokanka would be too much to hope for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14