• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Swim Gauges Interest in Bringing Back Toonami

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
NeumanProductions wrote:
Especially as television standards have changed some series could get by unedited. I mean, does anyone actually pay attention to what happens and is said in Adventure Time. Standards have lowered themselves and that is the reason of 4Kids' issues when it comes to edits because that's what they are seen as by the hardcores. But they are not able to hold their children base anymore and that is why they are fading away. CN has the chance to embrace a more mature kid and young teen audience.

Sorry, but what? Nothing in Adventure Time or any of those shows even comes close to the uncut stuff in shows that aired on Toonami. Standards have definitely not loosened up, even Hamtaro wouldn't be able to run uncut. And that's the main problem. Look at how bad Naruto was butchered on Disney X.D. In actuality, the reverse is true: they've only gotten more restrictive as time has gone on (Flowing and static blood was okay in Dragonball Z back in the day, but not today. Kai was edited a lot more than it was on Toonami)

Though given there's Pokemon and Beyblade and Bakugan on CN, kids will know of it and get into it just fine in that regard. There'll still be badly dubbed and edited children's anime as long as there's toys to sell, and they can get into that way.. but what made Toonami special was it was people's only real exposure to anime in the old days, and that's not really needed anymore as Mr. SickVisionz shows us.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Though given there's Pokemon and Beyblade and Bakugan on CN, kids will know of it and get into it just fine in that regard. There'll still be badly dubbed and edited children's anime as long as there's toys to sell, and they can get into that way.. but what made Toonami special was it was people's only real exposure to anime in the old days, and that's not really needed anymore as Mr. SickVisionz shows us.

There most certainly is a need for it as many have said and stated over and over again, and now it's just gotten to the point of beating a dead horse because all the people who are so inadvertent to toonami (for some baffling reason) are playing blind and deaf to all the great supporting arguments to why toonami coming back would be a good thing. It says a lot that anime on tv was virtually non-existant before toonami and in its wake it has become scarce once more. I really feel like people are ignoring the thing toonami was able to do that no other network/programming block has been able to do since: it made anime look cool and accessible to people who weren't die hard fans and it did it seemingly effortlessly. That's pretty incredible if you ask me considering the lot of our R1 dubbing companies for the most part have not been able to market their licenses in such a way and have all but given up trying. Sure there will always be anime with associated toy/card game tie ins that little kids will eat up like cake, but honestly that to me isn't much of a gateway. There are tons of kids who grew up on stuff like robotech without even knowing it was anime never giving anime a second look until toonami came along and gave them some meatier anime to fill their unsuspecting appetite. That was their gateway. I sincerely doubt kids to any great number will grow up watching pokemon on saturday mornings and end up even so much as a casual fan in the future. Give them something to grow up with like toonami and suddenly the likelihood of that happening goes up incredibly.

And only because I feel like it hasn't been stated enough, a revival of toonami probably will not mean very much to a current fan who watches everything streamed and simulcast. Toonami adds nothing to their viewing practices. That's fine. But toonami coming back wouldn't be to add to these sort of fans viewing needs. It would be for the new generation what it was for our generation: a really cool block of awesome shows to tune into every week. If that's not your cup tea then that's fine, but can we all just please stop trying to rationalize why a block as awesome as toonami coming back isn't a good thing? I mean seriously, it's toonami, if it fails to be what it was that sucks and all but I wouldn't admonish them for trying considering how great it was. Also nostalgia blocks are apparently something that can work (should I go to the 90's are all that example for the nth time? No point the people who really need to hear about it aren't listening Rolling Eyes ).
jakeass2008

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
#BRINGBACKTOONAMI <----TWITTER .: DUDE I LOVE TOONAMI , I WOULD PAY ADULT SWIM $99999999999999999999 OF MY CASH AND COLD HARD EARNED MONEY SO I CAN WATCH TOONAMI WITH MY KIDS ,AND ENJOY A BLOCK OF SAT NIGHT CARTOONS THAT WERE ALWAYS GOOD AND OLD SCHOOL , NONE OF THIS NEW KIDS SHIT , ITS THE REASON WE ALL STAYED TUNED , AND ITS THE REASON WE ALL ARE HERE , I DON'T THINK U WOULD OF PUT UP , such a big argument and statement , if u your self weren't so damm caught up in the excitement your self my good sir , but my point here is that I AM part of this anime community u are referencing to right now and i have internet , i have many movie channels , i have $ to buy drugs and food and what ever I want to keep me happy , but when toonami was on this sat I stopED doing all of that SHIT above and more just to do this: is what i did until toonami went off the air that night , so what i can accept that it might come back like some deformed monster that i just want to shoot , but hay at least we can dream and do this right , this time around , with everyone's help .
Quote:
like that one time : Remember That time when Goku borrowed all of your energy to form the Spirit Bomb to defeat Buu? he need your help again! #BringBackToonami
hay i want Toonami so bad , i am willing to donate money to them for free $$$$$ for freeeee $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

yes i am going to throw money at it and love every min of it!
shut up and take my money!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
It says a lot that anime on tv was virtually non-existant before toonami and in its wake it has become scarce once more.

The first has to do with the anime boom. Along with shows like Pokemon, it was the first real exposure to anime America has had. That's never going to be recreated because America is already exposed to anime. It's like chickenpox, or the gold rush, it's only going to happen once. America will never have that first contact ever again.

The second is because of marketing and network share reasons.

Quote:
Sure there will always be anime with associated toy/card game tie ins that little kids will eat up like cake, but honestly that to me isn't much of a gateway. There are tons of kids who grew up on stuff like robotech without even knowing it was anime never giving anime a second look until toonami came along and gave them some meatier anime to fill their unsuspecting appetite.

Robotech came on in a time before the internet. People are no longer sheltered from foreign influences anymore. No one growing up in this age is not going to know the shows they're watching aren't anime or it comes from Japan. Not when even the simpliest Google search is going to enlighten them.

And that's the main flaw with your argument, you're looking at this as if this is still the pre-internet and pre-anime boom days, when it's not. Those two things alone make the world of difference

Quote:
That was their gateway. I sincerely doubt kids to any great number will grow up watching pokemon on saturday mornings and end up even so much as a casual fan in the future. Give them something to grow up with like toonami and suddenly the likelihood of that happening goes up incredibly.

Tell that to the YouTube videos (full episodes, AMVs, toy reviews) of stuff like Beyblade which get millions of views. They're perfect gateways for kids into the medium.

(Heck, no Toonami video on YouTube even has 1/4th the viewers those stuff has.)

No one's saying Toonami shouldn't come back, just that all the people expecting lightning to strike twice are in for a rude awakening. Especially if it's limited to Adult Swim where little kids aren't going to be primarily watching it. And let's be honest, if it does come back, more than likely it will be a 'nostalgia block' like you keep mentioning. What good for exposure does airing old 'nostalgia' shows have do with getting new people into it? Let alone on a place kids won't see it anyway?
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote
jakeass2008 wrote:
wut?

What?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
Gundam Wing, hands down! Have to show reruns of Gundam Wing before anything else. Gundam Wing is one of those anime at its very best.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Toonami and the airing of anime on Cartoon Network did more to create new anime fans in the US than any single other thing in the last 15 years. Heck, maybe ever. They shouldn't have canceled it in the first place.

What a few out there are probably still thinking.

Quote:
BUT.

There's that "BUT"...

Quote:
The current attitude of Cartoon Network towards anime is one of general hostility. One look at their Adult Swim promos over the last several years is all it takes to realize this. The few anime they still broadcast has been very late on Saturday night, and even those are the few titles Cartoon Network paid money for the broadcast rights (as opposed to being paid by the publisher to broadcast it).

It's certainly something I took notice on much, much earlier.

Quote:
Let's say they get over themselves in that regard. They're still not going to have the merchandising and home video rights to the anime they show, the way they do with all of the original programming they make. That was more or less the catalyst for why they stopped bothering with anime in the first place. But let's say they're not bothered by THAT either. Well, there's still one more giant hurdle they'd have to accept, and that's this:

Dedicated anime fans don't watch anime on US television anymore, haven't for years, and aren't likely to go back to doing so.

See what happened people?

Quote:
Oh sure, we haven't had much choice in the matter. But now that we're doing it, now that simulcasting is the expected norm, there's no going back.

Which can be seen as the big middle finger going up I suppose.

Quote:
The huge online enthusiasm for anime has always been there. It's not like this is a sudden revelation to anyone. What struck them was how many people were willing to translate their online support into actually watching TV, and if you ask me that's not something that will last very long among the established anime fans.

No doubt the lesson I learned early on.

Quote:
I'm not saying Cartoon Network should not bring back Toonami. They totally should. But they need to understand two things. First things first, there absolutely must be online streams of the block for the shows and the interstitial materials. Second, no obscure time slot stuff where only the faithful will tune in. Toonami introduced new fans to anime because it was running on weekdays after school was out. The existence and prevalence of DVRs is irrelevant, as setting it up to record a show is something you do once you're ALREADY invested.

Certainly. You just sorta need that hook.

Quote:
Then and only then, once all that stuff is in place, does the vital issue of what shows do they actually run come into play...

If they can still see....

Soundmonkey44 wrote:
@JOE: It's Adult Swim asking people want a revivial or not, so odds are it would take the place of the Current Saturday Night Adult Swim broadcast, er that is to say it would be TOM on Adult Swim instead of regular CN, so more like the old Midnight Run.

In other words, this is a nostalgia kick. It's not going to be a weekday afternoon thing that made Toonami what it was for those out there who still went to school, it's more of a look-back and remember sort of thing despite being handled through different hands (we've all been there).

Ggultra2764 wrote:
With plenty of means to watch anime online nowadays, much of the original charm from watching anime on TV (i.e.: Toonami) has been lost since many folks would much rather watch a title when they can online instead of waiting on whichever time slot that Cartoon Network puts it on,

I do have the loss of patience that has eventually crept into our lives these days. People practically commit suicide if they don't get what they want since no parent has the nerve to tell them the same principles I was told in my time.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Among anime fans though? Who is going to watch a few year old show on a weekly basis when they can easily find it online instead?

It brings it all back to my theories of what this whole online thing has done to us as a public. Eventually we'll all come to realize the disposable impermanence that has settled in and will never obtain the responsibilities or common sense that I use to see from the big picture.

Yes, I wanted to wait a whole week!

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
2.) Nostalgia blocks seem to do pretty well if marketed right. Nick's The 90's are All That, seems to be holding up.

No doubt they did a fine job skipping over my generation with that! Crying or Very sad

Quote:
3.)They could probably use a mix of new and old, and it wouldn't have to be exclusively anime, I remember Toonami airing Powerpuff Girls, Justice League, and some other American shows.

Don't forget Reboot (and that newbie Jonny Quest thing that sucked).

Quote:
4.) Mona Marshall is horrible as Ryoko. She sounds like every annoying pre-pubescent male character in anime ever now.

I don't suppose they'll ever bring back "Celeste Burch". Razz

doubleO7 wrote:
bglassbrook wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
You gotta appreciate that they revived TOM as we all last loved him (the pre-bastardized thomas the tank engine one)

Yeah, brining him back as v2.0 was easily the highlight of it for me.

Not to nitpick, but they actually used the 3rd version TOM.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/sparkprime/TOMevolution.jpg

Well, at least it's not the silly-faced version.

Last edited by StudioToledo on Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sketchor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Nobody should expect a second anime boom from a Toonami revival but there are a few things people expecting so little of Toonami on Adult Swim that people should consider.

First of all, this is not building an anime block from the ground up in a slot where anime does not already air. The midnight anime block on AS already has a decent amount of viewers. Most premieres get around 400,000 viewers 18-34, around 600,000 viewers 18-49 and 900,000 to over a million total viewers. Bleach does even better than that with ratings on par with everything except FG, AD, Robot Chicken and the Boondocks despite those shows airing in better slots. The anime reruns pull in between 200,000 and 300,000 around the 1 am to 6 am hours. Those are the ratings they get with little or no promotion. Imagine if they acted like they gave a crap, those ratings would easily increase.

Now consider casual viewership. ASA is downright repelling with it's nicher than niche shows and intrusive "comedy" bumpers. Toonami by name alone already gets way more interest and people who don't typically care about anime enjoyed Toonami and that is the real value of Toonami. It may be of no worth to sub watchers or dub fans with money but it is a sure bet it will drum up more sales from consumers who don't know what they like because they have not seen it. Streaming doesn't make enough money and DVD/BD sales require some level of exposure when they are not even in most retailers.

Do you guys want the US anime industry to do better or not? Toonami can potentially make that happen better than everything available now or at the very least it helps a very insular fandom reach out and hook new people just for being visible to them.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
It says a lot that anime on tv was virtually non-existant before toonami and in its wake it has become scarce once more.

The first has to do with the anime boom. Along with shows like Pokemon, it was the first real exposure to anime America has had. That's never going to be recreated because America is already exposed to anime. It's like chickenpox, or the gold rush, it's only going to happen once. America will never have that first contact ever again.

The boom didn't create itself. Pokemon might have been a small piece of the puzzle, but add in stuff like DBZ and Sailor Moon and suddenly the picture is starting to complete itself. Guess what programming block DBZ and Sailor Moon aired on? No big surprise here, the answer is toonami. If the boom was single handedly thanks to Pokemon, people would still be flocking to that show like flies to a bug zapper and all the movies for the show would have all been released in theaters and not just the first 3. No one is looking for a recreation here. Of course the fact that it was successful once doesn't mean it will be successful again. It also doesn't mean it won't be. Oh, and your chicken pocks analogy is silly and doesn't really pertain.
Quote:

The second is because of marketing and network share reasons.

elaboration needed...
Quote:

Robotech came on in a time before the internet. People are no longer sheltered from foreign influences anymore. No one growing up in this age is not going to know the shows they're watching aren't anime or it comes from Japan. Not when even the simpliest Google search is going to enlighten them.

you would be surprised. Many people who watch tv casually and just for fun, just as those young boys and girls of the '80s watching robotech, aren't interested in knowing every little detail about the show. They likely won't google the show and won't really be that intersted in how "foreign" it was, they'll just be glad for the good entertainment.
Quote:

And that's the main flaw with your argument, you're looking at this as if this is still the pre-internet and pre-anime boom days, when it's not. Those two things alone make the world of difference

No I am not. It is you who is coming at this issue from the wrong angle. You're looking at this issue through the lens of a die hard anime fan who's online presence has increased as more and more of the medium has transitioned to online outlets like simulcasts and streaming. Those are great outlets for current fans who are already in the community and thus can easily find out about all these new avenues. I'm looking at this issue from the lens of a new fan who probably doesn't know anything about anime outside of maybe pokemon and probably sees it as something weird or childish. Such a person isn't going to easily find themselves at a place like crunchyroll, the animenetwork, or even ann for that matter and if by some stroke of luck they did they'd probably quickly leave considering the mentality I described above. What something like toonami could do for those people that all the online streaming outlets combined could not is make anime accessibly to them. I believe someone talked about a classmate of theirs growing up who does not care for anime but tuned into toonami because how well the programming block was packaged. I've said it before and I'll say it again: toonami made anime look cool. Not just to people who were already fans but people who weren't fans at all. Nothing else since has been able to do that, and that is the major point of my argument that you have been ignoring.

Quote:

Tell that to the YouTube videos (full episodes, AMVs, toy reviews) of stuff like Beyblade which get millions of views. They're perfect gateways for kids into the medium.

How many of those kids grow up to watch more anime and become actual fans of the medium and not just those shows as kids? I would wager not many.
Quote:

No one's saying Toonami shouldn't come back, just that all the people expecting lightning to strike twice are in for a rude awakening.

I don't think many people are expecting that. I'm not even expecting that as I stated in my previous post, if it does come back (a tweet on toonami's twitter after the #bringbacktoonami movement bodes well for that outcome) and it fails to catch on and then bites the dust again, that's tragic but I'd be glad to have it back even for a little while. If they're willing to gamble it (which considering the response of the movement, it appears less of a gamble than people like you would lead to believe) there's no harm in trying and that's the second point I've been trying to drive home. The third point that has been equally ignored as my first point is even if toonami is only brought back as nostalgia block and not a block to attract new viewers with new shows, nostalgia blocks have been shown to be something that can work (the 90's are all that). Don't think I have the energy to keep beating this dead horse.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
OK, for one thing a lot of people seem to assume that Toonami would just be installed into [as]'s current Action block, when there's no real confirmation of when it would even air.

[as] aired it as their April Fools thing, in possibly the only place they could easily take the time. Adult Swim and Toonami were both produced by Williams Street.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
OK, for one thing a lot of people seem to assume that Toonami would just be installed into [as]'s current Action block, when there's no real confirmation of when it would even air.

[as] aired it as their April Fools thing, in possibly the only place they could easily take the time. Adult Swim and Toonami were both produced by Williams Street.

it's the only thing that makes sense. ASA gets the lowest ratings than any other night of AS, wouldn't you try and replace a low rating night with something else that could potentially get you higher ratings? The april fools day toonami broadcast gave ASA some the highest ratings they've had in a long time. When would you propose toonami to take place? Don't bother saying any timeslot that isn't adult swim because remember AS and CN are completely different entities sharing the same channel.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
How is there current anime block not Toonami without the Toonami branding? It's a bunch of action-oriented anime playing for 2-3 hours. It's not like you can garner much attention playing older shows ad nauseum.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
How is there current anime block not Toonami without the Toonami branding? It's a bunch of action-oriented anime playing for 2-3 hours. It's not like you can garner much attention playing older shows ad nauseum.

Cause Toonami aired in several different flavors, namely first as an afternoon block, then the "Midnight Run," and then as a Saturday Night block where [adult sh!t] runs now.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Williams Street just acknowledged fan feedback on the Toonami issue:

At the time of this post the original "Want it back? Let us know." message was retweeted 14,428 times, according to twitter.

OWNED
jakeass2008

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
THEY ALREADY TALKING ABOUT IT ON THE ADULT SWIM TOONAMI FORUM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16