• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:CREATORS

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that whatever happened between Setsuna and Sota was kind of like a lovers' quarrel. Even if they weren't together, it probably was still something like that. And the emotions around those kinds of conflicts tend to be different than regular anger or fighting. So Setsuna probably felt betrayed in a different kind of way by Sota, and that's reflected in Altair's view of him. I guess what I'm saying is Altair might hate the rest of the world, but not Sota, even if she thinks he was shitty to Setsuna.

And it does seem to me that she is the manifestation of a revenge/power fantasy, something that would be normal for a person to have and maybe beneficial for them to express through something like creating a fictional character, but in this case it's actually really bad since their anger has turned real and assumed a powerful form, not to mention the fact that Altair's creator is no longer around to try to talk her down.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
It seems to me that whatever happened between Setsuna and Sota was kind of like a lovers' quarrel. Even if they weren't together, it probably was still something like that. And the emotions around those kinds of conflicts tend to be different than regular anger or fighting. So Setsuna probably felt betrayed in a different kind of way by Sota, and that's reflected in Altair's view of him. I guess what I'm saying is Altair might hate the rest of the world, but not Sota, even if she thinks he was shitty to Setsuna.

Yeah, in light of what Sota apparently did (or believes he was responsible for?), I do find it curious that Altair hasn't sought him out again. After all, she knows exactly where he lives. But what you say here is supported by Altair's scene back at the end of episode 3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mckg1

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
I am really surprised about re creators. totally came out of no where! Loving it !
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Yeah, in light of what Sota apparently did (or believes he was responsible for?), I do find it curious that Altair hasn't sought him out again. After all, she knows exactly where he lives. But what you say here is supported by Altair's scene back at the end of episode 3.

During that one-sided conversation,Altair's ambivalence towards Sota and Setsuna's feelings take second place to her revenge.Some part of Shirotsumekusa (gezz Sota) may also have some influence on Altair.
Altiar's plot deals with bringing together the right number of Setsuna's favorite characters,at the right time & causing max damage,so going after Sota now would spoil the revenge(and we would have no storyteller).

Also I'am considering that Sota is telling us this story,and he states right off that he is not the MC but "she" is.Which at first led me to believe his sister but now I'am down to three candidates-Altair,Setsuna and a distant third Selesia.

Would not be surprised if Shirotsumekusa emerges from Altair to save Sota and the world from Magane.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Some part of Shirotsumekusa (gezz Sota)...

Souta wasn't responsible for that name (white clover, I think?). The character was from an established game (Eternal Wars Megalosphere - have they found the author of that yet?).

The longer this goes on, the more I doubt I'll buy Souta's involvement in drawing the character or contributing to her creation. It's hard to imagine that he could have forgotten his input. I'm finding it hard enough to believe that he forgot she was apparently instrumental, in whatever way, in Setsuna's suicide.

Now, if it turns out that her suicide had to do with losing his friendship or something that had to do with him but not the character, that I could buy (and MUP is just taking revenge for her creator's despair), but I really don't expect that to be the case at this point.
Mojave

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:28 am Reply with quote
While I loved the latest episode, the reveal of Altair's motivations does leave me a little disappointed. It basically turns her into a cheap, angsty teenager full of melodrama and utterly lacking any perspective outside her own. There are very few people in the history of the world who have been wronged so deeply that it would justify the level of rage Altair is showing, and Setsuna's backstory doesn't even come close to that level. It's a very cheap reason to invade another world and attempt to end it.

And it leaves me a bit worried for the rest of the series if something as important as the main antagonist's motivations can be so petty. I'm still quite hopeful because the series has been fantastic so far, but Altair's motivations are a big red flag to me that the series might not actually pull this complex narrative off. I hope I'm wrong, but this was the first major crack in the series I've seen.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
^
I disagree that it's a red flag at all, as a lot of other details and approaches seen in the series point to that being the point: that this is a selfish power fantasy/persecution complex running amok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RedPilgrim90

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I have decided to buy the BD with this last chapter.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:
And it leaves me a bit worried for the rest of the series if something as important as the main antagonist's motivations can be so petty. I'm still quite hopeful because the series has been fantastic so far, but Altair's motivations are a big red flag to me that the series might not actually pull this complex narrative off. I hope I'm wrong, but this was the first major crack in the series I've seen.

Even if her motives are that petty, I get the feeling that there's more to this situation than is immediately apparent. We still don't know exactly how MUP managed to manifest in "our" world, for instance. I suppose its possible that Setsuna's emotional anguish at the time of her death was the immediate catalyst (note that the initial "radio burst" reported a few episodes ago and the apparent time of Setsuna's disappearance, i.e. her suicide, appear to coincide), but what made her death any different from, say, the suicide of any other distraught teenager? Why did her death result in the appearance of MUP, and not anyone else's? Is it possible that MUP herself is being manipulated, by some as yet unseen entity?

We're only in episode #8, so there's still plenty of room for additional revelations and plot twists. I suspect we have yet to hit the "oh snap!" moment of this series, the part that turns everything in on its head.
RedPilgrim90 wrote:
I have decided to buy the BD with this last chapter.

Ditto. Its rare for me to decide this early on that I want to buy a series, but unless they completely screw things up I'm buying it as soon as it comes out.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
man i have my eyes peeled for any re:creators figures that might start popping up on th market.
Hoping to get one of MUP with her Unlimited Blade Works-I mean floating sabers/swords active
or Yuuya with his stand err persona I mean guardian ghost um the floaty thing that hurts people
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quote
I watched ep 8 again and some things stood out on the second viewing. Altair had said some odd things about Setsuna in her rant. She isn't even a first level Creation (she's only second level), but the way she talked about Setsuna made her sound more like a Creation than a Creator as well.

Altair's primal scream about Setsuna, combined with the fact that we learned in this ep that Setsuna's name is probably a pseudonym, has me wondering if spoiler[Sota, Setsuna, and Altair are simply different aspects of the same mind in the Jungian sense: the superego, the ego, and the id.]

With the above in mind I read the lyrics to gravityWall again and they started to make sense spoiler[if you assume that the song is about a frustrated author with progressive disassociative personality disorder.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty interesting theory, and I think you might be on to something. Smile I've been wondering about the significance of the countdown leader for Setsuna's suicide, and in light of your idea, it makes me wonder if it was implying that spoiler[that was just a video and not something that actually happened irl, i.e., if she's actually a character/pseudonym/alternate personality of Sota, he got jealous of his own creation's success and then upset when that started unraveling with the plagiarism accusations, so he decided to kill her off with a story of her suicide. But no one seems to realize she's dead except him.] Heh, wild mass guessing is fun. And it still doesn't explain why he didn't remember Altair straightaway.

I've also been looking at the timeline we've been given and it raises a few questions.

8/23/2016: EM/RF spike (or whatever); Setsuna's suicide

11/10: Meteora knocks over Camp Jujo and steals weapons

11/17: Selesia crosses over; sky battle with MUP and Meteora

11/18: 2nd EM/RF spike; Yuya and Blitz fight in park

11/20: Takarada kidnapped by Alicetaria

11/25(?): Rui and Gigas Machina cross over; meeting with govt. committee (basing this on it seeming like Sota looked up Altair after going home from the meeting, and he's still at it when Selesia drops by (her phone shows the date). Magane might also have crossed the same night.

So it seems like the 2nd EMP occurred after Selesia crossed, rather than preceding it or being concurrent. And there don't seem to have been spikes for anyone else (unless that spike was for Yuya and/or Blitz crossing), though maybe we just weren't informed. I wonder what MUP has been doing since August, and when Meteora crossed? Was that also concurrent with her creator's death? And I wish I knew when they met Matsubara, because it's not clear to me if that happened before or after his fight in the park. Best guess is 11/19 for the Selesia v Mamika battle, since next day after Selesia's arrival is too soon to have gone to the zoo and set up a meeting with Matsubara.

Also, I hadn't realized that Altair's source was a video rather than a manga or text fan-fic, so maybe the leader was just a metaphor related to her origin.

One other thing I noticed was that Altair seems to be shooting for a particular number or a particular cast of crossovers before launching her final plan (which was her stated reason for backing off the first battle after Meteora got involved). I would think if it's the latter, they'd all be like Sota's favorites or something, except he didn't recognize Blitz at first. So why these characters in particular, or why does she need a certain number?

Sorry, no conclusions here, just rambling thinking out loud. Smile
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I've also been looking at the timeline we've been given and it raises a few questions.

8/23/2016: EM/RF spike (or whatever); Setsuna's suicide

11/10: Meteora knocks over Camp Jujo and steals weapons

11/17: Selesia crosses over; sky battle with MUP and Meteora

Thanks for the timeline. I wonder why is there a gap between Setsuna's apparent suicide and the first appearance of the Creations?

While listening to gravityWall I had noticed another possible clue: spoiler[The song starts with one voice, then splits into two voices, then three.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
I wonder why is there a gap between Setsuna's apparent suicide and the first appearance of the Creations?

I figured MUP came through back in August, since that's when the sightings started being reported. We don't really know when anybody but Selesia, Rui and Magane crossed over for sure. I had thought that she might've been gathering characters, but she's brought over 3 in the last week alone, and Meteora seems like she's only been here a little over a week before that. Yuya doesn't seem like he's been here for very long either. So I'm thinking everyone has crossed in the last 3-4 weeks, which leaves 2 months of Altair (Alter? Wink) doing who-knows-what.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Alright so they did kill off Mamika and of course Magane takes advantage of that to spread some lies. A bit of a downer episode though at least Meteora figures out what is happening and Sota admits to knowing Setsuna. I was starting to get a bit worried about how long that was going to stay a secret. Magane is certainly a chaotic character and she is basically a female Joker. Even after finding out that Altair is trying to destroy the world she wants the creations to fight each other because she finds it amusing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 33