• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of 2023

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:22 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Thankfully we've already established that this wasn't a review Lynzee was doing, so that's not an issue

Um sure, but surely you would need to articulate why it was the worst anime this season?
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
Pretending something doesn’t exist doesn’t make it stop existing. The people writing aren’t children and can hold multiple thoughts in their heads, and that includes talking about real life issues through the medium of anime, both in the shows and their production. If you want a child’s version of reality that ignores that there’s plenty of spaces available to you.

Really don't see how that's "child’s version of reality" to be honest. I also don't understand how not reviewing a show on it's merits but instead continually having to refer back to or continually bringing up the mangaka's conviction really helps. Can't imagine a critic writing a review about a Roman Polanski film for example, and then reading the review were it mentions nothing about the film and just goes on and on about his indictment for rape and nothing else. Fail to see how this would be helpful to the readers. The alterative to that would be not to review his films at all.

As already stated this isn’t a review so guess you don’t have to worry about that! If a film critic put out their best/worst of 2023 and put The Palace with the explanation being they haven’t seen it, and won’t because of his crimes, and that every film of his the industry continues to fund will of course be the worst for this heinous callousness and injustice, then yeah I would totally agree with that critic on their year end piece.

Last edited by ATastySub on Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:31 pm Reply with quote
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
OMG REBECCA picking Otona Precure as her pick for the entire year was BEYOND ASTOUNDING!!! I really loved the show but thought no one else would. Especally NOT a professional critic! Thank you Rebecca!

It's completely deserved. Looking back on the comment I made here I might have come off too harsh but Rebeccas reviews for Otona have been a constant joy, so I hope she keeps doing Precure reviews into the far future.
Also it hit with it's intended Japanese audience, in regards to that "thought no one else would" comment.
juaifan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:00 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
I can almost understand the sentiment, as immature as it ultimately is, but there's something deeply sad about people with 10+ year accounts play this silly game. They don't want to talk about it, and therefore vehemently try and make everyone not talk about it either. Because if nobody is talking about it, it may as well not exist.

That might be leaning too much into armchair psychiatry when a simpler answer is people are just tired of it at this point. It has been 7 years so if someone's been here for longer than that they've probably seen it all at this point.

That being said I think it's perfectly fine to bring it up here since it's an article specific about people's personal grievances with anime in 2023. I've seen people bring the topic up in general Rurouni Kenshin news threads and those posts tend to get deleted for derailing the thread or being off topic since it's not relevant to a Kenshin-themed cafe or a casting announcement. I'm someone who personally has no issue continuing to support Kenshin still and even I think if there was ever a time and a place for complaining about stuff you don't like in anime it would be the thread about complaining about stuff you don't like in anime. That's kind of the point of vent threads.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
killjoy_the wrote:
Thankfully we've already established that this wasn't a review Lynzee was doing, so that's not an issue

Um sure, but surely you would need to articulate why it was the worst anime this season?

Yeah, that's why she did, when she named it as her worst. Because it made her the most disappointed, not just in the show, but in the industries that create the work she enjoys watching, reading, and writing about. I don't know how much simpler it has to be broken down for it to penetrate your skulls, but that's it.

Children were abused for Watsuki's pleasure, and the industry responded by giving him a new show so that he could reach a new audience, and make more money that he can probably spend on DVDs of children being abused. That's disgusting.
PrawnIcecream

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:58 am Reply with quote
I boycott Israeli products, I wouldn't bother critiquing Hitler's paintings if they sold. I would boycott Weinstein's films if Hollywood didn't boycott him already. As a grown man with a daughter I wouldn't want my consumption paying for the roof on that filth's head. There was and will be an infinite number of creators being born in human history, spawning even more literature and art. Rurouni Kenshin is not even close to being special, losing it in the annals of history is a far better option than letting criminal elites in industries thrive.
oilers2007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:18 am Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
Children were abused for Watsuki's pleasure, and the industry responded by giving him a new show so that he could reach a new audience, and make more money that he can probably spend on DVDs of children being abused. That's disgusting.

It seems like the the only people being hurt by this mentality are everyone but the creator and anime industry itself. While Watsuki and everyone else are skipping down to the bank, almost all of the English dub VAs were pressured into donating their paychecks to charity in order to lessen the backlash they were receiving once they got identified as the voices. They're essentially doing the work for free now unless they bow out next season (if they legally can) and even after doing that they're still being criticized so they've effectively changed nothing. At some point I have to wonder if this is all worth it.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:35 am Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
It seems like the the only people being hurt by this mentality are everyone but the creator and anime industry itself. While Watsuki and everyone else are skipping down to the bank, almost all of the English dub VAs were pressured into donating their paychecks to charity in order to lessen the backlash they were receiving once they got identified as the voices. They're essentially doing the work for free now unless they bow out next season (if they legally can) and even after doing that they're still being criticized so they've effectively changed nothing. At some point I have to wonder if this is all worth it.

Howard Wang donated a portion of his paycheck to charity, as did Bill Butts. None of them are working for free. What is this hyperbole while you question if it's "worth it?"

Edit: Yeah, after googling for ten minutes, I found that three actors donated to charity. Howard Wang, who donated a portion of his earnings (around $ 600), Bill Butts ($150), and Yong Yea (over $800). The only one of the three actors who donated all of their earnings to charity was Yong Yea, who voiced Jin'e Udo. So, again, I ask: why the hyperbole? Howard Wang definitely made more than $600 off of his role as Kenshin, so why are you claiming he's working for free?
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:06 am Reply with quote
PrawnIcecream wrote:
I boycott Israeli products. . .

That's your choice if you want to go there, but that's a hot button topic that has no direct relevance here. Just a general notice that any attempt to spin discussion in that direction in this thread will be treated as off-topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JustMonika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:16 am Reply with quote
I'd say KamiKatsu was one of the best of the year for certain. Just most people didn't get it.
T3rmidor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:18 am Reply with quote
Always amussing to see how many mental gymnastics an understandable opinion can generate Rolling Eyes Like I always find funny the thing about separating the art and the artist when people exposing that view are the first ones unable to handle criticism toward the creator of their favourite piece of art. I like some artistic products made by shitty human beings, and I find pretty understandable if someone is unable to enjoy then due to the circustance surrounding then. And heck, that worst of the year is a pretty open term: for me personally Heavenly desilusion would be a candidate yet some folk think it was pretty great (Kingdoms of Ruin however take the cake for worst show)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:48 am Reply with quote
TandooriJones wrote:

It's completely deserved. Looking back on the comment I made here I might have come off too harsh but Rebeccas reviews for Otona have been a constant joy, so I hope she keeps doing Precure reviews into the far future.
Also it hit with it's intended Japanese audience, in regards to that "thought no one else would" comment.

For what it's worth, I didn't feel your comment was too harsh - you added some context from the Japanese side that I didn't mention. And thank you again for your kind words. I hope I get to keep reviewing Precure too!
PrawnIcecream

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:23 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
PrawnIcecream wrote:
I boycott Israeli products. . .

That's your choice if you want to go there, but that's a hot button topic that has no direct relevance here. Just a general notice that any attempt to spin discussion in that direction in this thread will be treated as off-topic.

Understandable. Which is why I only made a passing mention to draw parallels. Nowhere am I saying boycott what I boycott. But products can not be isolated out from it's producers was my point.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:35 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I voted for a couple of shows that aren't dominating the news.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/55153/Yuzuki-san_Chi_no_Yonkyoudai
Great characters facing a difficult life ahead.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/54301/Overtake
Much more about relationships than F4 racing. Episode 9 is a standout.

I'm a little surprised https://myanimelist.net/anime/50613/Rurouni_Kenshin__Meiji_Kenkaku_Romantan_2023 hasn't gotten more play. I never saw the original but thought this version was pretty good. Looking forward to the upcoming Kyoto arc.

indeed.

NO ONE HERE IS SUPPORTING THE ACTIONS OF ITS AUTHOR!

though a remake was going to happen.

also it seems the jp community is different when it comes to best and worst for 2023!

Greboruri wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
The ‘quality of the show’ does not matter in the face of an industry that chooses to support pedophiles when there’s so so many alternatives they could’ve done. Tell me, how good does a show have to be to excuse pedophilia for you? What’s your bar on harming children to your entertainment? Do you find that question as repugnant as I do? Then why are you demanding it of Lynzee?

Then why doesn't this site just refuse to report on, review or even mention any Watsuki manga, or any adaptions of his work? I mean if you don't want to support that mangaka, then blacklist him. It does seem like a reasonable thing to do due to the reactions you have to his work.

that would have been the better option. blacklisting any mention of the series instead would have sent a far stronger message

tintor2 wrote:
Yes! Thorfinn made it! Cool

best best female character for me would be a 4 way tie between Hime from yuri is my job, yaioi from dark gathering, suletta from G Witch & yufie from tenten kakumei!

best males are a tie between thorfinn & Helck (I am surprised that series did not even once get a mention at all)

whereas worst male characters of 2023 are easily a 4 way between cid (eminence in shadow), rudeus (jobless reincarnation S2) & naofumi (shield hero S3) and the worst female characters are ainspha & rae
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:31 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
best males are a tie between thorfinn & Helck (I am surprised that series did not even once get a mention at all)

I'm not. People started to lose interest in that series when it spoiler[isolated its two main characters away from everyone else and the main plot for an extended period of time], and that was before the series descended into a tedious 6½ episode long flashback.

Besides, Helck wasn't even the best character from that series. Vermilio was far more interesting and likable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16