• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Parasyte -the maxim- (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love Ryouko Tamiya spoiler["I'll use this child as a shield!"] She knows what babies are good for! Laughing

Glad that spoiler[Uda and Joe are back! They add much needed levity to Shinichi's psychological downward spiral. Plus, he (they) kidnapped a guy while wearing shades. Badass!]
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
spoiler["I will use that baby as a shield" proceed to hold up baby above herself, where it neither protect her heart or head…

That PI really wasn't very good at his job, there are rumor about parasite online (even the technique to detect them as leaked) yet he never even thought about it...]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And just as Shinichi is changing, so is Migi.

Migi seems to be improving but Shinichi seems to be as dense as ever. He can't seems to absorb that he is now involved in events greater than himself. Yes it is traumatic to have your mother killed (and worse have to kill her doppleganger) and yes it would be maddening to have another parasyte mock him about it. But he lets it take complete control of him. You got a tough deal dude but it is time to grow up now.

The co-existence thing I have been mentioning back from the 2nd episode or so. Ryuuko-parasyte will never win any awards for Miss Congeniality (and don't even mention Mother Of the Year) but no question she is on the right track. It was stupid of her to alienate Shinichi since he could not only would he be a powerful ally for that but he and Migi have a strong vested interest in seeing her succeed.

But Shinichi is too caught up in my-mom-died-and-my-girlfriend-doesn't-understand. Too much even to think a moment about the infant's welfare. Bleh.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
But Shinichi is too caught up in my-mom-died-and-my-girlfriend-doesn't-understand. Too much even to think a moment about the infant's welfare. Bleh.

What is Shinichi supposed to do? Steal the baby? His only option then would be to give the baby to a nearby hospital (he is just a teenager whithout even a mother or girlfriend to try to convince to care for the infant) and Ryoko can locate him using normal channels and take him since she is the biological mother. If he blows her cover she will travel far and change identities. If he blows her cover in public chances are there will be another blood bath to cover for her escape. Trying anything could make Ryoko simply eat the baby to stop Shinichi from locating her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 14

And a theme of this week was that they are changing.

They actually did what I considered the spoiler[best idea from last week. Migi's intimidation] was awesome, but in the moment you realise that spoiler[Migi has indeed changed, there seemed to be small parts when Shinichi was healed, it stopped being as robotic]. Now Migi seems to have spoiler[shown the ability to sympathise to some degree, even if it said that does not share such abilities, Migi probably would not have even understood before what it said].

Ryouko has also changed for how terrifying (and sometimes humorous) she can seem as inhuman, there spoiler[were things like her laughing]. That is what you call an emotion. Some seem to think she is spoiler[becoming an actual evil monster], but I wonder if Shinichi spoiler[looking like he wants to kill out of anger is actually being a real monster]. It looked pretty clear in some ways that the reason to bring the spoiler[baby was specifically because he would not try to attack her since she has it, holding the baby up saying it was a shield felt more symbolic than her actually putting it up as one].

As a final note, I really think she should take a spoiler[parenting class].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
@ Haruhi Toy - well of course Shinichi is changing for the worse. That's the point the show is making. He isn't acting dense simply because of external things spoiler[like having to kill his Mom-parasyte who almost killed him.] His consciousness is literally being changed from within due to mixing with the consciousness of an alien parasite. Not sure why you expect he could just overcome this with a jaunty "can do!" attitude.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
His consciousness is literally being changed from within due to mixing with the consciousness of an alien parasite. Not sure why you expect he could just overcome this with a jaunty "can do!" attitude.

I wasn't expecting that exactly, but in spite of his lamenting that his emotions are going away he seems all emotion and no intellect. He doesn't seem to be able to look past the events of today -- all he does is react to what happens right now. No idea of where he wants to be a week from now, much less a month or a year.

That is what Migi does as swell. And Joe apparently. But that seems to be the mindset that is bred into them -- the only exception is the Ryuuko parasyte. I would expect Shinichi to be more like her/it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
He doesn't seem to be able to look past the events of today -- all he does is react to what happens right now. No idea of where he wants to be a week from now, much less a month or a year.

This isn't a situation like he needs to get his grades up and decide what college he's going to. He's fighting for survival with no idea what the enemy will throw at him at any moment, or who the enemy even is. It's not surprising or even really immature that he's spurred to take action on the one thing he's sure about how he feels and what he thinks he should do about it.

Sometimes when your life becomes so overwhelming, all you can do to cope is take it day by day, even if you can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15:
Good episode! spoiler[Business really picked up and seems like Shinchi is even more aggressive than usual. Now we also get a bit of more development with Reiko. I find that interesting considering she is living this life with her child.]

Ending had a good setup for next week. spoiler[I think there was one OST I didn't quite recognize although they used their main OST theme during the first fight. Cool.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Damn, those full parasites sure are cold & cruel.
spoiler[Shinichi's fight with that guy was good.
Guess a regular parasyte is no match for him.
Shame he didn't manage to save that woman.
Kuramori was shocked by what he saw.
He got scared shitless and bailed on Shinichi.
Shinichi got to be the main topic of the parasites conversation.
All in all not good.
New type of parasyte, 3-in-1 deal & deadly too.]

That's gonna be an epic fight!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Best moment of episode 15: spoiler["I have a better mount," while perched on Shinichi's head.] Very Happy

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
This episode seemed more like a lead-in to next week's.

So Izumi finds his answer regarding what to do with the Parasytes, unfortunately for him he might have bitten off a bit more than he can chew.

At least this episode the sideshow that is the spoiler[private investigator] is resolved. Discretion is always the better part of valour.

For the intelligentsia parasyte, her name is given as 田宮 良子 when she was a spoiler[high school teacher] (Tamiya Ryouko) and 田村 玲子 in her guise as a spoiler[widowed single mother] (Tamura Reiko). It won't matter all that much since said organism is really lackadaisical with choice of names. I've chosen the standard way of romanising hiragana.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
For people who have read the manga, roughly where are we at right now? I know there's 10 volumes, and we're through 15/24 episodes, so theoretically we should be right around volume 6, I'd think?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

Well taking on spoiler[someone who is three parasites does bode bad news], but perhaps there is a way he can still fight. Shinichi does spoiler[seem quicker, and perhaps three at once means the host tires quicker].
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 15

Well taking on spoiler[someone who is three parasites does bode bad news], but perhaps there is a way he can still fight. Shinichi does spoiler[seem quicker, and perhaps three at once means the host tires quicker].

I think they were foreshadowing a bit in the episode when they showed spoiler[that the 3-in-1 parasyte was slower than Shinichi and not very well coordinated with its movements. I think this indicates that Shinichi's body is more powerful than the parasyte's since he has the parasyte cells all through his body whereas it just has the head and two arms. Also, the lack of coordination between the 3 parasytes probably means it is more likely to make mistakes and leave openings.] I assume it will be some combination of those things that will allow Shinichi to prevail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 26