• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Utawarerumono: The False Faces

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
The only redeeming point of this season was... since there will be (probably) a sequel, you need to know from where the story came from. I liked Utawarerumono too much (including the game) to hate this one beyond reason.

As the reviewer said... what a waste of potential but I will still keep it in my collection awaiting for the continuation, hopefully by the end of this year we'll get an announcement.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
After the last episode well it simply ended in a way as the whole anime was over this whole 25episodes just meh. The 1st season was by far allot better and i really wish they would have used the old characters more and give us some more action and story building. While this 2nd season simply didn't gve anything mostly just easy going episodes with comedy,fanservice stuff, we got some interesting stuff later on but well that was all short. We had the potential war between tuskuru and yamato but that ended quite quickly which really sucked because it could provide some epic fights. Also this 2nd season left tons of things unanswered which i some of it already forgot but well lets say one of it that out of no where insane power from Kuon which simply happened and thats it ye most us know its probably some mystery power duo Haku the one from 1st season, but thoose that didn't watch it befor will probably have no clue what the heck happened.
Anyway i could go on for more but overall a very dissapointing season, i do hope they make a 3rd to kinda finish what they already started so we have some sort of closure....and hopefully then we see all of the characters from S1 and S2 really more together in the 3rd season perhaps.
McMillan&Wife

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Incorrect about Haku talking about warring with other countries like Tuskuru. He's talking about warring with countries on the level of Atui and Lulutie's dad (who do have separate countries/states but part of Yamato), and the capital with the 8 pillar generals. A civil war in Yamato is happening. They are trying to get Oshutoru who they keep accusing as the killer based on flimsy evidence. Oshutoru has massive popularity, combine this with Haku's knowledge from a much more advanced society and human genetics granting him Color of the Conquerer like mental effects, Haku will be able to command an army pretty well.

It'll be lame and stupid if the emperor is not really dead because there is no way he predicts this happens. Honoka is also supposed to be missing. And Entua was supposed to be a key character near the end. But anime staff completely wrote her out.

Half of the next game will probably be dealing with Yamato. The third games trailer which also came out has Kuon talking about defeating Yamato which indicates Tuskuru takes advantage of Yamato's internal strife and puts pressure on them.

And after that it's on to Tuskuru. The anime heavily downplayed it, especially in the last episode but Haku cares more about his brother and the human thing then Oshutoru's wishes. Which he does care about.

Also, I should add that it was Nekone's fault that Oshutoru died. In the game, the fight between Vurai and Oshutoru ended in their Godzilla fight where they were repeatedly punching each other and having a real fight instead of budget beamspam. As Oshutoru godzilla was knocked down, Vurai was about to give off a finishing blow, Nekone intervened and cast a spell to shake Vurai off, as she did that, Oshutoru shot a light cannon from his arm at that moment revealing he had a finished right there to finish off Vurai without him knowing. of course, vurai then aims at Nekone and Haku (the twins were not present here) so Oshutoru blocked the attack head on and then pierces a hole right through vurai before falling off a cliff. Then Oshutoru turns back human, gives a speech as he's crumbling to dust and hands the mask to Haku. It was much sadder and beautiful than what the anime did. Nekone thinking it was her fault that Oshutoru died adds to the gravity. Anime ruined it.

And Kuon was much more upset about Haku dying in the game, admitting she loved him, her witsuworchester sauce powers activating and killing yamato soldiers as she's walking back home. The anime skipped this and instead just had her blow up a piece of town in episode 23.

And to answer the question on who the anime is targeted too. It's targeted to people who will buy false mask the game and preorder the two hakuoro. Two Hakuoro is doing real well on preorder ranks right now.

For the record, as someone who played the False Mask game, I find False Mask a lot better than the first one. Haku is a much more interesting character than Hakuoro and he and his brother's story makes their perspective much more appealing. Also more politics in this one than the first. The anime ruined Haku by literally removing every instance that Haku has been useful and strategic outside the bug fight in episode 3.

Last edited by McMillan&Wife on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zilan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This anime was made to sell the current and future games. Simple as that. But i absolutely loved it. My favorite show of the winter.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
This anime was made to sell the current and future games. Simple as that. But i absolutely loved it. My favorite show of the winter.

I wish I could share your enjoyment of this series.. major letdown.

I posted this in the other thread.. I was really disappointed with this series, I enjoyed the first season, the OVAs and even played the original game.

This series went nowhere.. and took its time doing so.. I had some hope when some characters made Cameo appearances.. but then it was back to the blah.

This was bad enough that I don't want to play the new game.. and I think this killed any chances for any further sequels.

.... just stating the obvious.
TD912

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Urrrgh. So I watched this until the very end, hoping for some kind of redeeming plot elements to appear, but there really weren't any. They spent the first 2/3 of the show introducing some characters and had them mess around in a slice-of-life sort of way, then when the actual story appears they don't really take it that seriously which makes the show feel half-baked. I can't really relate to Haku at all, since he's been portrayed as a generic lazy but semi-smart guy that just "goes with the flow" for most of the series, but then we're supposed to be shocked and care about him when he witnesses the whole Godzilla-mode Vurai thing and whatnot. I'm actually amazed they managed to stretch this show out into 25 episodes.
Alkeia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to point out that Raikou is not the most obvious assassination culprit, he's just an opportunist. Woshisu is by far the most suspicious, as he was the one to initially bring up the possibility of Oshutoru poisoning Anju, and requesting the search on his house. He likely would have had time to plant fake evidence for it, too.

I'm not sure about anime viewers, but the general consensus of those who played the game is that Woshisu is fishy.

In all honesty it was a terrible adaption of the game so I can understand the anger towards it. The game acts as a bridge to the third, and in itself has a lot of boring moments too, but is more engaging in the actual plotline in my opinion. But anime unfortunately mostly exists as a promotion. Though considering its popularity and the high chances of a third season, I find it odd they changed so much from the ending.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I completely and utterly disagree with you opinion of the series as a whole (as I seem to do with most reviews on this site).

Offer a review and criticing something does not mean you have to always be negative. It is getting really annoying seeing nearly every show nitpicked and trashed for negatives every week. Either this site needs new reviewers or just more reviewers per show to offer different opinions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
^ You've only written critical comments (about the reviews and the website) yourself. How about you say something positive about the series, instead of just "I disagree with the reviews"? What in particular do you disagree with? Why? What did you like about the series that it did well?

They're never going to have more than one reviewer per episode, so instead of complaining about that, use the forum to counter the reviewers' opinions with your own.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I disliked it quite as much as Jacob did in the end, but... yeah.

I really liked the beginning of the series and the first several episodes were quite enjoyable, then the quality started going up and down in the middle, and the end has just been an uninteresting slog. Silly fujoshi antics just make me roll my eyes, but plots that only progress because the good guys make objectively stupid decisions make me angry.

I'll probably still give the next season a chance (assuming they make one), but I may have to just settle for re-watching the first few episodes and thinking of what could have been.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:

Offer a review and criticing something does not mean you have to always be negative. It is getting really annoying seeing nearly every show nitpicked and trashed for negatives every week. Either this site needs new reviewers or just more reviewers per show to offer different opinions.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/snow-white-with-the-red-hair/.90304 - Consistenly received positive reviews through both seasons.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/grimgar-of-fantasy-and-ash/.97557 - Generally positive reviews throughout mostly getting Bs.

animenewsnetwork.com/review/showa-genroku-rakugo-shinju/.97567 - Very positive reviews. I think only a single episode ever received less than an A-.

ANN does give positive reviews of shows. It just turns out that U2awarerumono wasn't a good show.
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
Tbh, this anime adaptation was pre-destined to not be good. U2tawa's game is much longer than U1tawa's (around 10-15 hours longer). And the amount of episode is almost the same between the 2 seasons (25 for S2, 26 for S1). That means that the anime had to rush and skip even more elements & details than for the 1st season. Add to that the fact that U2tawa's anime director hasn't even played the game from what I've heard, and you get a big mess of an adaptation.

VN adaptations (just like LN adaptations) have as their main goal to showcase elements from the VN or LN and promote it, as, if you enjoyed enough what the anime showed, you can follow up by buying the game to get the full story with all the details. U2tawa's anime is just that. It's more like advertisement... which I will admit is just plain sad, as I've heard U2tawa's game is amazing and even better than U1tawa's.

Let's just hope U2tawa's game gets an english translation now...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
the issue is that the anime (both season) feels like there is so much wasted time in between key moments. the entire first season was basically character introductions, barely anything else of real significance happened. season 2 had more going on but still had a lot of time during episodes where nothing was really going on. then there is a rush to fit all the key plot elements in the remaining time.

I understand them wanting to stay faithful to the VN but they really needed to focus on making the anime a good and coherent series first.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Ughhhhh.... This was such a struggle to get through. Haku is easily the most whiny character I've seen in years. Idk how people are supposed to like him. It was painful seeing them use Karula to say she approves of him, who is like the exact opposite of Hakuro. All the girls are randomly super strong fighters which came out of nowhere. Kuon makes sense but all the others had no justification behind them being so experienced in war. Kuon actively participating in the invasion against her homeland and fighting the people who raised her for no reason was ridiculous and ended her run as a character I could root for. The Tuskuru "war" gave me hope that they were pulling a gundam seed destiny on us, which I was pulling for real hard. We got a tiny bit of that and then everything went back to normal. Will not watch a 3rd season if Haku is still the protagonist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16