• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mysterious Girlfriend X (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd watch a second season if one was made, but I don't see an urgent need for one, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:01 am Reply with quote
gravnakle wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has heard if there is going to be a second season of this show. I would like to see more fully developed characters. Any takers?

We still don't know why Urabe is a weirdo - seeing her interact with her parents would be illuminating - but generally I think the characters were developed pretty satisfactorily. Even their relationship was fine; they are a confirmed, solid couple by the end.

While I would almost certainly watch a second season, it isn't necessary to have one.
gravnakle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
While I would almost certainly watch a second season, it isn't necessary to have one.

I appreciate your feedback and information. Now that I've had time to digest the events that transpired in the series, I would have to agree with you.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Very late to this party; I apologise profusely.

I'll just get it out of the way: I decided to partake in this because I happened upon some promotional images for it. Images that were very... sensually enticing. That, and I guess I have a thing for visually "dark" or sombre female characters, which was perhaps one reason why I partook in Dusk maiden of Amnesia (and probably the actual reason why I decided to try WATAMOTE this season), a show that aired at around the same time and probably eclipsed this one for me, due to its arguably less bizarre premise. Which is not to say that I dislike bizarre things, but Mysterious Girlfriend X sounded like the sort of bizarre that is impossible to take seriously. Just more weird shit coming out of Japan, in other words.

My pre-viewing perception hasn't changed much after seeing the first episode. It's still a show about the eldritch power of drool to induce the narcosis of love, which, in this mythos, may or may not be based more in physicality than most people tend to believe. At its core, this is definitely some kind of ecchi, or based in it, given its hentai-level attention to both the visual and aural experiences of something as seemingly tame as spoiler[sucking on one's finger]. However, though all this, Mikoto seems to be a curiously provocative, yet restrained character. I can appreciate her avant-garde approach to romance, which has her taking strictly-defined baby steps, while, at the same time, spoiler[musing very openly about her belief that Akira will be her first sex partner].

It's almost schizophrenic in its delivery, and probably a bit dramatic for my tastes, but it's definitely interesting, maybe even more so than Dusk... was. I hope so, because while Dusk... was by no means a bad series, I ultimately found myself unable to justify owning it since it really didn't stick with me, as avant-garde and attractive as Yuko was for a ghost.

I have high hopes for this one, and I definitely want to see more.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
Oh! I forgot to mention that I jizzed buckets when I saw those Big O figures and the "Star Mars" poster.

The froth is strong with this one.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
I can appreciate her avant-garde approach to romance, which has her taking strictly-defined baby steps, while, at the same time, spoiler[musing very openly about her belief that Akira will be her first sex partner].

Actually this is one of the more conventional things about Urabe. Most girls that age don't see having a boyfriend as an warrant to immediately have sex and more often than not push back and insist things go slower (more incrementally) than the boy usually wants. It sucks to be a boy sometimes.

What remains a mystery, as dtm42 above alluded to, is just how Urabe came to be formed the way she was. My best guess is that a lot of this is as mysterious to her as it is to as it is to Akira. But she never gets enough solo screen time to provide any answers.

Speaking of Clueless Boyfriend Y, what is most disappointing in the whole show is his refusal to press the issue at all, other than a couple of really clumsy (even for a CBY) body grabs. When he first got together with Urabe he attempted to kiss her but never again. You would think even a CBY would think to ask her what would happen if they transferred saliva at the same time that way. As Blood- would say, dickless.

At least they wrote in a lot of other interesting things to watch, so the above doesn't matter that much. So in spite of all that I rate MGX in the excellent category.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Speaking of Clueless Boyfriend Y, what is most disappointing in the whole show is his refusal to press the issue at all, other than a couple of really clumsy (even for a CBY) body grabs. When he first got together with Urabe he attempted to kiss her but never again. You would think even a CBY would think to ask her what would happen if they transferred saliva at the same time that way. As Blood- would say, dickless.

Absolutely 100% correct, Mikoto is awfully quick with those scissors...

But yeah, that's his fear. It's not a normal fear, she's not a normal girl.

Ok, let me spell this out why we don't havne many if any of her POV: For Mysterious Girlfriend X to be Mysterious Girlfriend X, Girlfriend X has to be ... unknown.

Or mysterious, sure, be unoriginal.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Ok, let me spell this out why we don't havne many if any of her POV: For Mysterious Girlfriend X to be Mysterious Girlfriend X, Girlfriend X has to be ... unknown.

I have no problem with mystery, but for it to be any fun there has to be someone trying to figure it out. CBY doesn't. The closest he gets is wondering what her boobs feel like (now that's original) but he never takes any action.

In contrast, the other cute gal in the show, Oka, figures more things out about Urabe in one day than CBY can manage in months. But Oka doesn't steal the show and we are left with a mystery and no way to pursue it. It isn't that the mystery must be solved but it should be at least played with.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well all right then!

This was... interesting, in a good way. This is basically a slice-of-life with a restrained, but pronounced erotic side to it, which separates it a bit from most in its genre. What I found most appreciable was the general level-headedness of the characters, who feel like the youthful high school children that they are, yet also retain an air of intelligence about them. There is a conflict of interest here or there, but it is handled without any forced comedy or annoying high school drama, thank god.

Which is not to say that it isn't funny sometimes, especially when spoiler[Oka is busy pulling Urabe's chain.] Speaking of whom, the titular "Mysterious Girlfriend" certainly delivers on her title. She is particularly stoic for most of the show's run, but that, I suppose, only makes her moments of warmth and vulnerability more smile-inducing. It's a definite breath of fresh air to find a female character who genuinely loves, cares for, and is considerate of, her significant other without crying (or, in this case, slobbering) all over us about it like most lovestruck female characters do in anime. I don't necessarily agree with all of her principles, but she is certainly well-balanced and solid, and she puts you on the edge of your seat whenever she starts asking Tsubaki to do things.

Unfortunately, I can't really say the same for the object of her growing affections. "Clueless Boyfriend Y" would certainly be an apt title for him, since he is constantly on the defensive. It's a shame that, in stark contrast to Urabe, he carries himself much like your typical adolescent male lead in anime who is faced with a racey situation: clumsy, loud, stupid, and overly apologetic. Honestly, does the common male in Japan really scream out their girlfriend's name and suddenly attempt to throw his arms around her in faux romantic fashion? Is this commonplace or something? I know one or two things about feeling, or wanting, a profound connection with the one you love, but goddamn, you could exercise some restraint and some noise control. You'd think he would get used to her methodologies after a while.

Still, to his credit, he is unusually self-aware for his character trope--probably his saving grace.

The only other slight problem was the drool as a plot device, which is both its appeal to uniqueness and its Achilles' heel in that it starts to feel woefully out-of-place after a while. The creators did a phenomenal job at doing all that they possibly could to make it seem convincing, but ultimately, whenever Urabe (or whoever) sticks a finger in someone's mouth and then puts it into someone else's mouth, the first thought that comes to mind is, "WTF, Japan, seriously...!" Thankfully, certain disturbing extremities that were established early on, such as spoiler[Urabe's saliva regurgitation episode], were dropped in favour of a classier approach.

Still, I have to admire how well this was delivered, especially for what it is. I gave it an 8 out of 10 (Very Good status), and gladly added its blu-ray to my order that also included Ghost in the Shell: Arise, saving me some money on shipping for both, as a bonus. Awesomesauce! Very Happy
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I have no problem with mystery, but for it to be any fun there has to be someone trying to figure it out. CBY doesn't. The closest he gets is wondering what her boobs feel like (now that's original) but he never takes any action.

In contrast, the other cute gal in the show, Oka, figures more things out about Urabe in one day than CBY can manage in months. But Oka doesn't steal the show and we are left with a mystery and no way to pursue it. It isn't that the mystery must be solved but it should be at least played with.

I didn't have a problem with the differences in the relationship compared to the friendship; To put it bluntly, Oka brought out Mikoto's inner masochist while Akira plays the masochist to her sadist. Of course Oka would have the easier time, she made Mikoto her own personal toy.

Akira likes being dominated, pint size Oka likes being controlling {so cute}, Mikoto's likes ...

Yeah, there is one scene where Akira takes the lead and spoiler[ it almost culminated into their first sexual experience. He backed down, not because she was unwilling but because she wasn't explicit about her desire to continue on from basic petting {For my money, she knew what 1) being alone together in her bedroom 2) while her parents were out and 3) allowing Akira to grope her added up to. I give props to Akira for backing down in a situation that felt a bit too much like date rape. Or even he realized that they has reversed roles somehow and didn't enjoy it as much}.]

The rest of the time, Mikoto's in full control and she already told Akira they will have sex eventually. It is amazing how well you can control a guy that way. Especially if you temper it with negative reinforcement such as destroying the background with random precision.
Timesplitter 01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Yeah, there is one scene where Akira takes the lead and spoiler[ it almost culminated into their first sexual experience. He backed down, not because she was unwilling but because she wasn't explicit about her desire to continue on from basic petting {For my money, she knew what 1) being alone together in her bedroom 2) while her parents were out and 3) allowing Akira to grope her added up to. I give props to Akira for backing down in a situation that felt a bit too much like date rape. Or even he realized that they has reversed roles somehow and didn't enjoy it as much}.]

spoiler[How would you react if a girl started crying while you were forcing her down to the ground? Of course later we learn it was something else that made her cry but any kind hearted guy would have backed off. Plus I remember her saying something that if he went any further than he had she would have not forgiven him or something to that effect. (I would need to watch the anime again to be 100% sure). ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 18 of 18