• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Ribbons Allmark FAILS TACTICS FOREVER.

First, spoiler[he has successfully manipulated the A-Laws into guarding him from a combined assault from Celestial being, the regular military, and Catharon, and then what does he do? He blows up his own forces with a superweapon that the main body of the enemy force is out of range of, thus achieving nothing except possibly persuading the few surviving A-Laws to switch sides?]

Second, spoiler[he manages- with presumably great R&D effort and resource expenditure- to reproduce Celestial Being's Trans-Am technology, and what does he make with it? Kamikaze fighters?! So, the massive cost of the suit's construction- not to mention the cost of creating/training the pilots- makes what is essentially an overlarge, overpriced ballistic missile? Why not train those pilots to FIGHT and maybe actually get more than one kill out of them?]

And third- okay, this isn't as serious as the others, given the circumstances- spoiler[but did he seriously not consider that Regina and Tiaria would be able to pull the same Cylon Resurrection trick he did?]

(On the subject- any Battlestar Galactica fans here? Okay, was anyone reminded of the last episode of that series, where they spoiler[use basically the same trick- ram the Galactica into a landing bay and deploy troops inside to invade the Cylon colony?])

Good episodes, despite the subplot bottleneck they have to deal with- I just wish it wasn't boiling down to "Good guys win because the genius manipulator villain is really an idiot at heart."
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I missed the final episodes, I guess. Did they bother to show the entire ending?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've seen these finale episodes a number of times and I will always remember how lavishly animated these were (along with many other episodes) I just love how packed these episodes were, and I really like the pacing for them.

I know, who got in on that big duel was quite the surprise. spoiler[Like most ofcourse while I expected Setsuna to finish him off, once it got to this point he can't get all the big final battles and both Tieria and Lock-on also had major beef with him so I thought they made a good choice especially with Tieria's equally personal battle for Veda].
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Oh, I missed the final episodes, I guess. Did they bother to show the entire ending?

Final episode is next week, these were the two with the raid on Veda and the Celestial Being.

Even though I'm greatly enjoying that sci-fi has gotten back into broadcasting anime especially as CN backs off compared to when they were really into it and I'm re-watching my favorite Gundam in quite some time (not to mention finally seeing all of Gurren before the dual-language dvds came out), since they didn't take the extra couple of minutes for the important epilogue I'm not too hopeful despite how even more important this is being the real rest of the finale of the story viewers have been watching for 50 episodes. spoiler[Nor do I hold out much hope for them managing to squeeze in the 2010 movie teaser which was a great cap to the series that they're still going to do a little more and try to finish with something big.]

Since the episode 25s of both seasons aired by themselves maybe give those two eps their longer runtime and finish the block for just that week with a movie or OVA that would fit the rest of that time slot for a "special week" or something.
LordofNoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Ok, my concept of time has been seriously damaged as of late, and I didn't remember to post here. Sorry for the late addition!

1: Did ANYONE (who didn't see it before) guess any of these last two? Especially the second to last. I was much more caught up in these two than most any other pair I've seen. Very impressed!

2: Am I the only one that noticed a rather large plot gap? spoiler[It seemed like Tiaria crash landed and next I saw him he was facing off with Ribbons.] I mean, huh? I know it's not too important, but they could've at least showed a small clip of getting from A to B, or even just a camera shot on the empty Gundam, or whatever. Anyway, leads me to

3: I agree the kamikaze fighters were just a bad idea, but maybe they didn't have a choice? It takes skill to pilot Trans Am efficiently, and maybe he was just throwing out pawns with hopes of getting a rook or a bishop? Still, why not at least just have the suits fire a few shots while they're about to crash?

4: Maybe destroying the A-Laws was part of Ribbons's plan? He certainly seems arrogant enough to think he can destroy Celestial Being on his own, and he just wanted the A-Laws in one spot to make things easier. Just a thought.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
LordofNoe wrote:
3: I agree the kamikaze fighters were just a bad idea, but maybe they didn't have a choice? It takes skill to pilot Trans Am efficiently, and maybe he was just throwing out pawns with hopes of getting a rook or a bishop? Still, why not at least just have the suits fire a few shots while they're about to crash?

A wave of nuclear missiles would have done more damage than those kamikaze attacks, and they would have been much less costly and time consuming to build.

It doesn't take that much skill to pilot a Trans Am'ed suit. Setsuna did very well the first time it activated, and of course he had no prior skill with the system. And the Innovators can just program the "clones" with all the piloting skills they need.
LordofNoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
You have a good point, but I didn't factor Setsuna in because of his natural skills with piloting. That's probably a weak point in my thought process.

If you think about it, the kamikaze troops must have had a psychological impact, not to mention getting attacked with your own technology, at least in the beginning. But yeah, none of that really matters. Maybe something lost in translation to dub? Or maybe it's a plot device to prove that Ribbons isn't as above human as he thinks, and even he can make mistakes.

Gah, I always over-analyze anime. In the end, not the best of ideas, to be sure, repelled so easily relative to the battle actual pilots would have caused.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Well, that gap you mentioned involving Tiaria was most likely a result of "editing for time" from SyFy. That's my guess.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Well, that gap you mentioned involving Tiaria was most likely a result of "editing for time" from SyFy. That's my guess.

If you are talking about what I think you're talking about, then it was missing in the original broadcast as well. Tieria somehow got into VEDA without us seeing how. Which is fortunate in a way, because VEDA would have been heavily guarded and there's absolutely no way Tieria should have gotten in there. So my point is that not showing us how he did the impossible will go down better amongst the viewers than showing us get through fortified doors and the inevitable guards.
LordofNoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm......that makes sense, I guess. I still think it would have been slightly more pleasing to show the aftermath of Tieria's actions, like just panning across hallways with dead guards, or the blasted panels of locked doors. In any case, it probably would've been too much to show the impossible actually happening.

Countdown till last episode: 3 days, 8 hours, and 16 minutes!

Yes, I can't wait. Got a problem with that? Didn't think so Laughing
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Alright! I liked the ending. I'm looking forward to an uncut, unedited viewing when I get the DVDs.

So now I patiently await Mobile Suit Gundam OO Destiny Very Happy
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow they actually handled the broadcast of the final episode as well as they could have given their time constraints with the commercials breaks, and better than I expected.

With the cuts for time in some of the action they actually nicely aired the entire ending and used the entire 11:00-11:30 time-slot running directly into the next show without any commercials in between.

A superb batch of episodes for the dub as everything ramped up, ending with excellent vocal performances from the cast during the finale in my opinion. I think they really came through during the key moments of the series. Can't wait for more of the dvds to come out to pair the dub with the full untrimmed episodes.

Still can't wait until 2010 for the new movie Smile I still wouldn't be surprised if they do a sequel after that given that popular shows left open for them are getting more sequels these days.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Wow they actually handled the broadcast of the final episode as well as they could have given their time constraints with the commercials breaks, and better than I expected.

With the cuts for time in some of the action they actually nicely aired the entire ending and used the entire 11:00-11:30 time-slot running directly into the next show without any commercials in between.

Maybe they heard the complaints about the way they handled the ending of season 1 & actually did something about it? I was dreading another shrunken, sped-up epilogue - it was a nice surprise...

They didn't even do the "shrink the video into a little box, mute it's sound & put up another little video box pimping "El Superbeasto"... again..." thing.

About the only thing they could've done to fit in even more footage would be to reduce the number of commercials -or- skip over the opening song. Either would've been acceptable to me.

The ending wasn't bad either, kind of nice to hear "Daybreak's Bell" make an appearance too.

I do wish Syfy would have shown the last 3 episodes last week instead of leaving just the one for tonight...

Quote:
Still can't wait until 2010 for the new movie Smile

Agreed... I get the feeling that the movie isn't going to be a complete squash-job & may end up being akin to "Endless Waltz"? I guess there are spoiler[already going to be new Gundams for it]?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
Maybe they heard the complaints about the way they handled the ending of season 1 & actually did something about it? I was dreading another shrunken, sped-up epilogue - it was a nice surprise...

They didn't even do the "shrink the video into a little box, mute it's sound & put up another little video box pimping "El Superbeasto"... again..." thing.

Yeah it was nice to see.

B-503_MIA wrote:
About the only thing they could've done to fit in even more footage would be to reduce the number of commercials -or- skip over the opening song. Either would've been acceptable to me.

The ending wasn't bad either, kind of nice to hear "Daybreak's Bell" make an appearance too.

Yeah they did all they could, I certainly wouldn't have minded skipping the OP atleast for the finale but I too like that they atleast "worked on the problem" for the finale so that those seeing the ending for the first time got the full payoff. I had loved them bringing back the original OP song for that part.

B-503_MIA wrote:
I do wish Syfy would have shown the last 3 episodes last week instead of leaving just the one for tonight...[/spoiler]

Agreed, the build of the drama and action was really fulfilling watching the last 3 episodes in one sitting when I watched it that way in the fansubs.

B-503_MIA wrote:
Quote:
Still can't wait until 2010 for the new movie Smile

Agreed... I get the feeling that the movie isn't going to be a complete squash-job & may end up being akin to "Endless Waltz"? I guess there are spoiler[already going to be new Gundams for it]?

Yeah it's an all-new movie though I wouldn't be surprised if they did those later too.

Just noticed this link to new details: New info on the spoiler[new Gundams ] for the upcoming movie, apparently translated from the recent Gundam 00 “Next Mission” event that seems to have taken place back at the end of August.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I am liking the dub. I do hope Canada dubs the Gundam Unicorn series since most of the dubbed Gundam has been done in Canada.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20