• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Omg this show had nothing to do with what it was advertised to be about, a quest to destroy evil. Instead they've been stuck in this gd temple for who knows how many episodes and I'm SO SICK OF IT. I've never wanted to find a marketing person and punch them so much for the misdirection. This mystery would be so much more interesting if they were on the road and needing to act as a team to fight monsters, not knowing which of themselves they could trust. The team dynamic when it actually mattered would be a great story. As it is though, this is static and boring and a poor choice of how to tell a story. I'm done.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
The problem with Nachetanya being the imposter is that it doesn't explain why she let Adlet out of the prison in the first episode. She could have easily just left him there and gone off to meet the other braves on her own. None of them would have been suspicious that way and she could have just joined up with them. I might be wrong, but her being the imposter just doesn't feel quite right. My money's still on Maura, even more so after seeing how determined she is to kill Adlet considering how much evidence there is that he isn't the imposter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ebv2406

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I was so sure Maura was the 7th, she still show sign of being it but Nach really became suspect N°1
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
@ Videogamep: Several of them have had ample opportunity to kill one or more Braves off and have not. I think the whole idea was to sow distrust and discord among them rather than just wipe them out. So 7 were needed to get that rolling.

I tell you what, regardless of who the 7th is, this generation's Braves are in a heap of trouble. If Maura's the 7th, then one of their crew is a multiple-personality airhead backed by her jealous boyfriend. If Nacho is the 7th, we're left with depressed, grieving boyfriend and megalomaniac Maura probably in charge of the group. Then we have psycho swampchild, neko assassin, and a half demon with self-esteem issues and explosives. Adlet is the only one of the group that seems even halfway sane and sometimes I wonder about him.

This is not a group I'd want to go with into battle against an all-powerful Demon Lord. What was the Flower Saint thinking when she chose this lot? Or are these the leftovers after Flamie killed all the good ones?

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
#PROTECTFLAMIE2015
As an avid reader of the books, I was looking forward to this episode more than any other. Nachetanya's freak-out, Maura's dick move, Adlet's confession (which was noticably more direct in the anime), and Flamie proving just how huggable she is, thanks to a great performance by Aoi Yuki, all of them were executed superbly and I wasn't disappointed by any of them.

What I am disappointed by is all the bad frames and animation in the second half of the episode.

Like this.

https://i.4cdn.org/a/1441478002550.jpg

I swear, Adlet's hand looks like a bear paw in that shot. Shocked

I've been forgiving so far, but it's an enormous shame that an episode filled with so many pivotal character moments was also filled with so much QUALITEH~. Felt like all the great material came at a cost. Laughing

If I'm remembering the order of events right, next episode should reveal the answer to the mystery.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Unlike the reviewer, I'm more convinced it's Maura. Nachetanya lied, but so did Maura.

The way I saw Nachetanya's lie was more about convenience. She wanted the fake to be anyone but Adlet (whom she believes), so she made something up against Hans to get Goldov to follow her. Maura sent out a hit job on Adlet and hoped he would die quickly. She didn't want a lot of explanation. Plus, I'm sorry, does anyone remember she held the key? Sometimes it's the obvious things that nobody is talking about that bug me. Her companion was Chamot, and there's not a lot of reliability in terms of seeing through deception from Chamot.

Maura is the one that nobody expected because she's the sensible one, the wise one, the one that should be the force for good, and frankly after seeing her powers in action I'm more convinced she's probably the culprit (she's got more than one).

Nachetanya is blowing up in this episode though and she's a fairly convenient pawn in the 7th's scheme from what I can tell - she'll kill Adlet.

Maybe I'm wrong and the reviewer is right - frankly this could end up being the type of show that just makes Chamot the 7th because...who saw that coming? And that'll be disappointing - although I will laugh if it's Chamot. She really is the one nobody is expecting and to have her be the mastermind would be pulling something straight from the ether.

Last edited by ZiharkXVI on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the confession kinda cheapened things out a bit. Getting to know her and both sympathizing with each other was really nice, and they do have chemistry together, but love at first sight is just silly. I'm glad Flamie reacted the way she did, though, and pretty much everything from there onwards was done pretty, except the animation, as par for the course.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Omg this show had nothing to do with what it was advertised to be about, a quest to destroy evil.

If you read the series synopsis, you would've known this. There's also the fact that the OP clearly shows 7 Braves instead of the prophesized 6, so you should've suspected something was up. Frankly, it's your own fault for not knowing.

sunflower wrote:
This mystery would be so much more interesting if they were on the road and needing to act as a team to fight monsters, not knowing which of themselves they could trust.

If a second season happens, something tells me you'd like it more. It keeps the mystery aspect of the series (not the same one that's covered here, a different one), while moving the whole "defeat the Demon God" plotline forward.

sunflower wrote:
As it is though, this is static and boring and a poor choice of how to tell a story. I'm done.

Your loss. Cool

Videogamep wrote:
She could have easily just left him there and gone off to meet the other braves on her own.

Well, Adlet is crafty, and she knows this. Operating under the assumption that she's the fake, it's likely that she thought Adlet would've easily been able to escape prison on his own so there would've been no point in her doing that (and he points out in the first episode that he could've broken out by himself). It also seems like the 7th explicitly wants to gather the Braves together and get them to distrust each other.

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Best episode so far, but GOD the animation was so awful. I laughed so hard at Adlet hand by the end of the episode. I'm pretty sure this things will be fixed for the BD/DVD, but it's still unbelievable.

I freaked out at Nachetania's freaked out. I thought demon paws or wings or awful CG monsters would appear from her month. Now I'm more sure she's the fake.

So Adlet and Flamie, huh? They look like a nice couple indeed, but although is somewhat impossible, I hope they don't focus for these finals episodes that much in their love relationship unless they build up pretty good character development.

5 stars for this episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
frankly this could end up being the type of show that just makes Chamot the 7th because...who saw that coming?

She was pretty high on my list for awhile, but her battle against Hans and Adlet convinced me she's just a stupid, overpowered, homicidal child. If she were the 7th, she could have deflected the questioning and sown some more seeds of suspicion instead of throwing a hissy fit.

The only person who seems to be off everyone's radar is Goldov, whose name I'd swap in your quote. He did have all that time off alone to get turned to the dark side, but mostly I just don't see how he could have pulled off some of the things required, unless he just got lucky that Nacho sent Adlet on ahead before he could suggest it, like Hans brought up the sealed-room first. That's too much lucky, so I will be disappointed if it's him, unless they do some powerful 'splainin'. Smile

killjoy_the wrote:
love at first sight is just silly.

Oh, c'mon now, the first thing he saw her do was reunite a puppy with its mother and set them free. How could he not fall in love? Wink

Still, if I had been in Flamie's boots, he wouldn't have gotten the second sentence out before I unloaded on him. Is there any woman here who would have fallen for such a declaration under those circumstances? oO
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
frankly this could end up being the type of show that just makes Chamot the 7th because...who saw that coming?

She was pretty high on my list for awhile, but her battle against Hans and Adlet convinced me she's just a stupid, overpowered, homicidal child. If she were the 7th, she could have deflected the questioning and sown some more seeds of suspicion instead of throwing a hissy fit.

The only person who seems to be off everyone's radar is Goldov, whose name I'd swap in your quote. He did have all that time off alone to get turned to the dark side, but mostly I just don't see how he could have pulled off some of the things required, unless he just got lucky that Nacho sent Adlet on ahead before he could suggest it, like Hans brought up the sealed-room first. That's too much lucky, so I will be disappointed if it's him, unless they do some powerful 'splainin'. Smile

I'll admit Chamot was never on the list for me just because of the way she looked. Never even considered her. It'd be a screwed up anime to have the kid suddenly flip full evil on us - people are suggesting Maura is too cliché, but really the crazy Nachetanya is just as cliched. Chamot is the character that bucks the norm. Goldov I still haven't copped out since honestly I suspected him pretty heavily for awhile. He loves the princess and wanted to be there. Plus, I wouldn't put it past him to have made some weird deal with the Demon King. We just don't know enough about him to do really talk about him at length.

This isn't really a true mystery anime since honestly one episode later and some new person could be the fake just as easily - like Goldov. This anime is much more about the psychological aspects of this group. All of them are tossing around crazy theories (and in a world of magic, we really can't be for certain any of these people didn't create the barrier). We check the boxes off the characters that believe in Adlet, the hero. Hans? Check. Flamie? Check.

Is why I didn't believe it was Nachetanya. She always believed in Adlet.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I tell you what, regardless of who the 7th is, this generation's Braves are in a heap of trouble. If Maura's the 7th, then one of their crew is a multiple-personality airhead backed by her jealous boyfriend. If Nacho is the 7th, we're left with depressed, grieving boyfriend and megalomaniac Maura probably in charge of the group. Then we have psycho swampchild, neko assassin, and a half demon with self-esteem issues and explosives. Adlet is the only one of the group that seems even halfway sane and sometimes I wonder about him.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about someone who needs the people around him to acknowledge that he's the strongest man in the world in order to stay stable... (And needs to constantly restate it to keep himself convinced...)

To be honest, I think Hans seems like the most sane of the bunch. He's a pragmatist and a killer, but he doesn't seem crazy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
It'd be a screwed up anime to have the kid suddenly flip full evil on us

But she already has, several times now. She wants to torture people, was champing at the bit to kill Flamie and had to be physically restrained twice from doing so, has already "accidentally" killed an opponent in a match, threatened to kill everyone but Maura, offered Hans a deal to kill Adlet while she watched, had to have a major threat from Maura to keep from killing Hans while alone with him - if that's not full evil, I don't know what you call it. Childish evil? Playful evil? Homicidal maniac evil? Smile All of that, plus her sweet face (when she's not throwing dangerous side-glances at potential victims) put her pretty high on my list until it just seemed like she was way too open about being evil, and was instead merely stupid and psychopathic.

@ Darkmagick: I'd say Hans is high-functioning crazy. Smile He even admitted that he lives in darkness.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
It'd be a screwed up anime to have the kid suddenly flip full evil on us

But she already has, several times now. She wants to torture people, was champing at the bit to kill Flamie and had to be physically restrained twice from doing so, has already "accidentally" killed an opponent in a match, threatened to kill everyone but Maura, offered Hans a deal to kill Adlet while she watched, had to have a major threat from Maura to keep from killing Hans while alone with him - if that's not full evil, I don't know what you call it. Childish evil? Playful evil? Homicidal maniac evil? Smile All of that, plus her sweet face (when she's not throwing dangerous side-glances at potential victims) put her pretty high on my list until it just seemed like she was way too open about being evil, and was instead merely stupid and psychopathic.

@ Darkmagick: I'd say Hans is high-functioning crazy. Smile He even admitted that he lives in darkness.

Yeah, I guess I should clarify evil. I meant calculating villain, not just immoral psycho. The 7th is a villain. Chamot is merely dangerous with a side of crazy - she isn't pretending and she doesn't seem to be plotting. You know exactly where you stand with her - which is to say if you are not Maura you are a plaything. Actually there is a lot of crazy on this team.
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
This is a light novel spoiler. From now on, please mark source materials as such. -Galapspoiler[Mora's 100% not the seventh, confirmed in Volume 2]

Okay, I've said my piece. Now on to the actual problem this episode had: Mora's attempt at killing Adlet. In the novels, it was Flemie the one that was gonna kill him (seriously, she was REALLY, REALLY ANGRY after his confession), and Mora stopped her. She actually sounded a little bit more... smart... in the novels. Instead, we get this... angry-driven fool. This is NOT the Mora Chester that was promised

Also, Nashetania snapping wasn't... great. Like... she was supposed to start running off like a madman, mumbling things like "I trusted you... I am gonna kill you now... I trusted you but you deceived me". In the anime, tho... it looked and felt forced.

Now, the problem with this anime is... we'll never get 6+ seasons of it. And the novels take their sweet time delivering their plot twists and dialogue and details and... I just don't see it happening. Like, maybe, MAYBE they can get a second season with 13 episodes that can cover the second and third arc... maybe... but I don't see a third season happening spoiler[specially since Rolonia shows up in this season's last episode and gets everyone going "HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE SEVENTH!"]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 28