• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
Idk how to feel about episode 25...

It seems they could of done the episode somewhere mid-season instead especially with the Hayate/Frejya moments. Meanwhile, I am glad to see Makina survive. Wonder who plans to save Mikumo though. They are literally using her as a weapon of war, which seems to be working.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
The arms merchant dude said "I hear that the person Lady M made their debut around that time as well" (50 years before the end of Frontier if I understood it correctly). Misa was a cranky military officer or something, not an idol, right? This is from fansubs so there is the possibility of it being a bad translation. I dunno.

The alternative reveal is that Lady M is a daughter or grand daughter of one of the "legendary characters" as to be an appropriate parallel to Mirage.

That has been an ongoing theme of Delta is trying to find your own path when you have a "historical heritage".
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
From what i got from Episode 25 was that the merchant drop hints of who Lady M could be.
spoiler[I think its possible it's Minmay. Max and Miraya are in their 70s. Minimay is younger than them, like perhaps 7 years younger.

That said, Lady M being Misa Hayes won't leave as big of impact on things as would Lynn Minmay would be. If you any you seen the old and original Do you Remember Love film, you can hear the Protoculture song sang by Lynn Minmay being played in the background. The captain of the Macross for Chaos had reaction to the Merchant's comments as in disbelief. He arguably only one of Delta's crew would be knowledgeable wand would still care about Lynn Minmay since she was living person his time verse historical figure lost with a doomed fleet. Another point, the producers were interviewed about the show, when question of Hibiki (rick) and Misa (Lisa Hayes) would be involved with Delta, their response was they weren't interested in exploring their story. They didn't mention at all Lynn Minmay. She already was shown once in the flashback episode in the Do You Remember Love? version of Macross. (not the tv show version).
Another point: This is very musical focused scifi show, having Lynn Minmay do a comeback would go well with aims of sell music cds which is sadly primary focus of this show's backers.

Aside from that, it's hard to say what going on. Freyja may die at end of the show, but may make recovery somehow through protoculture's technology. Frankly with destruction of the NUNs fleet, it spells doom for the New UN Spacy government. It be interested how the universe coups without dictatorship from Earth government.]
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
3 days away, any predictions or things you would like to see in the final episode? Mine would be...

prediction: Keith defects, joins chaos in beating the big bad. Hayate and Keith shakes hand and let bygones be bygones. This would suck for Messer, killed for no reason and a missed chance for justice.

One or more heroes from Chaos dies.

things I would like to see: One massive macross, 7, frontier (maybe plus) crossover. The return of Minmay (should she turns out to be Lady M)

An upgraded VF-31 (its the final battle for crying out loud, don't hold back)

Hayate choosing the winner of his heart (assuming Mirage and Freyja are still alive in the end)
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:16 am Reply with quote
VicViper_Mk2 wrote:
Hayate choosing the winner of his heart

I think he has made his choice already.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
you're right, I guess that was the whole point of the DYRL scene. Mirage kinda gave up pretty easily. It looks like she won't be following her grandparent's footsteps. A shame, had every potential to be a winner.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:06 pm Reply with quote
VicViper_Mk2 wrote:
you're right, I guess that was the whole point of the DYRL scene. Mirage kinda gave up pretty easily. It looks like she won't be following her grandparent's footsteps. A shame, had every potential to be a winner.

I think she has bit more to go to be able to equal partner in a relationship. She needs to be more courageous in her pursuits.

I perdict:
Freyja dies and transcends into one of those light beings that influenced Roid.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Finally, at long last, Macross tradition has been broken!

Good finale. I thought Frontier's final battle was better, but Delta has put more emphasis on character rather than battles, so the character resolutions are all great. Some unanswered questions but they weren't that important anyways. Definitely become my favourite Macross series.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Final episode

Ok, even though I'm going to use the spoiler tag, I should still give you a heads-up in case you don't want to spoil it. My god where do I even begin

spoiler[ No crossover (if you consider its length its just not possible) aside from the memory flashbacks.

VF-31 finally gets the super attachment, and after roughly one minute of use its discarded (yes I know it doesn't work inside atmosphere) such a waste.

Macross Elysion fires its Macross cannon again, a total of 2 times throughout the series. Its aether attack isn't nearly as flashy as its frontier counterpart. Overall Elysion was way too underused.

No fire bomber, frontier, or any other macross song other than one verse of DYRL, at least its something.

Walkure's songs are very disappointing. Singing old songs. This is the final battle and they couldn't sing something more intense?

Mirage is so silly. Hayate confess to Freyja, but Freyja is all indecisive, so Mirage confess to Hayate as well (the guy is so thick-headed that only now did he realize?) but does so only to send the message "if you don't take him I will" to Freyja. Man, middle of the final battle and they have time for this triangle romance nonsense, in spirit form no less.

The aerial knights defects, at least its something I predicted that came true.

This whole battle is so one-sided, its like watching the final episode of Gundam Seed Destiny, the heroes comes out without a scratch, unnamed mooks falls by the dozen. It could also go in the history books as one of the quickest final battle in Macross history.

This Star Singer stage superweapon isn't nearly as intimidating as the Vajra queen or Goh Boldoza's flagship.

Yes Keith killed Roid and went out in a bang, but its just not satisfying if its not the heroes delivering the finishing blow. (not even some last words to Hayate) Just what did Messer died for? Not a damn thing.

The Animation also seems to be a bit different. as is the voice acting.

Another thing I correctly predicted, though unfortunate, is there's no mention of Lady M! No Minmay. Which would keep in line with Kawamori not wanting to elaborate on Minmay. But why hint to us about Minmay in the first place? What's the point of jerking us around like that. I had a feeling from the moment I first hear of the name Lady M, that they had no intention whatsoever to reveal her identity.

Finally, where is the KISS!!! A kiss seals the deal, is it really so much to ask for?

In the end, to say a 20 minute episode couldn't wrap up the plot is putting it mildly. It has to have a movie (or 2 like Frontier) Otherwise rushed plots like this will spell the end for the Macross series.

In a way, Delta is like the anime equivalent of No Man's Sky, all the rage instead leads to a big anti-climatic ending. ]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Ep 26 finale
spoiler[That was a whole lot of potential put into a ho hum overly expected finale.]

I mentioned this before, I am more looking forward to whatever Movie is produced (assuming this is at least receiving a decent fan reaction) but in the end the modern era of Macross might be on shaky grounds without a much stronger reaction from a comparable Film set up.

It has been Five years since Sayonara no Tsubasa, which is a generation in regards to pop media terms, Macross Frontier premiered in 2008 almost a decade ago and even with the story in it's comparative flawed form still felt like a stronger piece than Delta.

There are a number of elements that could have been used better in the show that we got, and to imply that someone from the original Macross cast was helping our younger crew was an outright waste of time from a story telling stance.

Macross Delta as a whole was technically OK as a watch, but for this viewers experience it was a disappointment.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[Mirage is so silly. Hayate confess to Freyja, but Freyja is all indecisive, so Mirage confess to Hayate as well (the guy is so thick-headed that only now did he realize?) but does so only to send the message "if you don't take him I will" to Freyja. Man, middle of the final battle and they have time for this triangle romance nonsense, in spirit form no less. ]

No, it was more spoiler["Hey look I worked up the courage to confess, so stop being a coward!" Gave Freyja the push she needed.]

Quote:
assuming this is at least receiving a decent fan reaction

Considering Delta characters have consistently ranked highly on Newtype polls and the show itself is on several "best of" lists I'd say the reception is very positive.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
right, bad choice of words, that's what I meant.

Should the movie takes place years after the final battle, Mirage might still have a chance if Freyja kicks the bucket (her hand cancer had progressed considerably)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Normally I'd say if we get a movie it'll be a retelling and not a sequel, but seeing how Delta has been deliberately bucking trends that might not be the case.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
retelling is fine if it aims to address some of the questions that we still don't have answers for, otherwise I don't see what's the point to see a huge condensed version of the tv series all packed into an 1-2 hour movie with a different animation.

Damn you Keith, taking the easy way out. After Messer's death his rivalry with Hayate is so obvious, you'd think it'll all boil down to one epic showdown in the end, but NO. So much for our ace pilot, shooting down a couple of faceless mooks and watches as the situation resolves itself. A very good potential scene down the drain. What a shame.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
The deal with Hayate is that he became a "great pilot" but not necessarily a Great Warrior, an issue with Delta is that it may have gone too far out of its way to humanize the main rival faction, with that unless you were a faceless mook from Windemere you were living on to the next episode.

The show needed to be willing to at least kill off more of the prominent knights if it wanted to play up the card that the indignation the Knights felt was a bit more solid aside from the "atrocities we will get around to expanding upon".

Delta probably needed a half a dozen more episodes and likely a removal of the galactic mind control subplot (as that felt too much like Frontier's grand finale conflict) to smooth out whatever message the staff was trying to present.

When it comes down to it, as a viewer I did not enjoy Hayate's cumulative presence, if the point of Hayate was a storyline about "finding yourself away from your heritage" that was already done in Macross Frontier with Alto and the execution felt better for my experience.
If Hayate's story was supposed to be taken in a different light, I didn't really see it, a good chunk of the side characters were MUCH more intriguing than Hayate.

In the end, I just hope there is a better future for Macross.

*Edit the Finale comparison of Delta and Frontier
In the semi finale of Frontier, it seems our heroes our in a pinch, sounds very familiar when compared to a recently viewed Delta.
A key difference is that Frontier's lead Alto is ALSO one who seemingly is dead, obviously you shouldn't recreate the exact same seen, BUT Delta could have played around who was in peril at the time by putting Keith or one of his fellow knights be killed off as a reason to rebel against Roid's ambitions in place of waiting for the mind control plan to go off.

There is also the music, it is certainly noticeable that they didn't have someone to collaborate on the scale of Yoko Kanno during Delta, but certainly you should of had staff to better edit together a melody mix of all songs already established during the show for the finale.

The issue seems to lie in trying to humanize the main players on both side of the conflicts which results in a half hearted "big finale" as some of the viewers had been rooting for one big showdown between Keith and Hayate.
Even AKB0048 had a finale focused on doing one last concert to reclaim there home of Akibastar, the stakes were very clear and the hurt and pain for the established protagonists could have a clear line of sympathy from the audience, the Delta Finale was a cluster of a mess.

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 20