• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mysterious Girlfriend X (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
One of the things I thought was interesting was the two figures in Akira's room: R. Dorothy Wayneright and the other male figure that I didn't recognize. I'd say that they're symbolic stand-ins for Urabe and Akira, respectively. Watch how their positions change in respect to one another during the episode, and how they eventually end up falling on top of one another. I like little touches like that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
I've barely used it much at all, and I used it because someone else did a few posts up. And I do have a life, thank you, note that I haven't posted in quite some time until recently. But hey, guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're on my ass just for tossing in my two cents.

Two cents? I think you are vastly inflating the value of your contribution. Any chance we can convince you to return to "haven't posted in quite some time?" Don't get me wrong, that thing you do where you turn up in discussion threads of shows you have no interest in because they are ecchi/or weird in some way just so that you scrawl out your dumb little "oooooo, aren't I superior for not liking this material? I think it's cute how you all don't become big, tedious posers like me" is rilly, rilly fascinating, but I'm just deathly afraid that doing so takes away from the precious time you have to bore people in real life.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
One of the things I thought was interesting was the two figures in Akira's room: R. Dorothy Wayneright and the other male figure that I didn't recognize. I'd say that they're symbolic stand-ins for Urabe and Akira, respectively. Watch how their positions change in respect to one another during the episode, and how they eventually end up falling on top of one another. I like little touches like that.

Relevant: the creator of Mysterious Girlfriend X has mentioned multiple times that he intended the manga to be a giant robot story, in which girls are the giant robot.

I think I've repeated that about five or six times on the internet over these past few days, but it's a pretty fascinating detail and since they went as far as to include an Actual Girl Robot in Akira's room, it's probably an important one!
timesteel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
so did any 20th century boys fans notice the Osaka world expo aka Expo 70 poster in Akira's bedroom?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Finished the first episode today, and it was fantastic. Took me a bit to get used to the sound effects, since you don't get that in the manga, but blew through that.

Like how many of the detractors use the word 'drink', when there is no drinking going on. Makes it sound like everyone has beer steins full of spit and drool that they are chugging down.

So let the sucking continue, scissors ahead and all that.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Just a thought: what would happen should the anime adaptation of Yume Tsukai was faithful to the original manga...... After all, Yume Tsukai was far more twisted than Nazo no Kanojo X; if drool-tasting could induce such a big fuss here, I wonder what a story filled with spoiler[underage lesbianism] + spoiler[transgender] + spoiler[lolicon rape] + spoiler[pseudocyesis] + spoiler[necrophilia] (and those were just the first arc), coupled with ancient Japanese mysticism and spoiler[mecha otakudom], could do. Maybe the forum would explode. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Mysterious Girlfriend X already broke the internet. A properly animated Yume Tsukai would probably break the world or something. Also probably anime bloggers would have a field day. Whichever came first!

The difference might be that while Mysterious Girlfriend X is relatively mundane (with spit), there's so much crazy stuff in Yume Tsukai that the viewer might be numbed by it. It's a bit like how Kaori Yuki's classic manga Angel Sanctuary is a mess of religious and social taboos, but somehow the whole thing is bearable because there's just so much there that everything that should be blasphemous or debased is just taken in stride.

Then again, everyone has different tolerances for different things. So perhaps it's a moot point?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 2
I am enjoying the BGM, the strangeness does get my attention, but not so much that I feel overwhelmed.

He definetly did the right thing when she asked about the dream, if a girl asks spoiler[about a sexual dream about a girl just act cutesy and say that it is a secret.]

And so they spoiler[now both have the bond, does that mean he has to stick his finger inside her too?]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Poor old MC is headed for a really nasty case of Blueballs-itis. And future therapy bills. Scissorella be cuh-zazy maximus.

Eh, it's all in good fun, though.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Totally didn't think she'd be using saliva in that house. I mean, she was naked after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Poor old MC is headed for a really nasty case of Blueballs-itis. And future therapy bills. Scissorella be cuh-zazy maximus.

Yeah, that's pretty much the entire manga. And it gets worse.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Tuor of Gondolin said
Quote:
the two figures in Akira's room: R. Dorothy Wayneright and the other male figure that I didn't recognize

The other figure is Cait Stith from Aria. King of all cats. There seems to be a cat motif through the show.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Dude, your girlfriend just variably teleported from your arms, subsequently fashioned a humanoid target--which she presently reduces to confetti--with the scissors she draws from her pantsu, taking--from teleport to sheathing--all of 10 seconds...and you're not at all concerned about the fact that she can perform such a feat? "I shouldn't have grabbed her like that, but still...That wasn't something worth drawing her scissors over. I'm her boyfriend."] This show has some elements I like, but unless the kid's intended to have the sagacity of a male mantis...I don't know. I mean sure, the pubescent male is renowned for his libidinal blinders, but this is a little much.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Well, this is what happens when you use your hanging brains to think as opposed to the ones sloshing around in your skull.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... I think the reason I'm loving this show so much is how much it reminds me of my first high school relationship (don't ask).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18