• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Okami Pinkos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
What region are those DVDs from? The red circles, and the green triangles...is it UK? Australia?

You have a cute little set of figures.

Judging from the MVM logo on the Love Hina dvds, I'd say it's probably UK releases.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, red circles and green triangles is UK. I have a few of those. (Recently imported the UK issue of Tokko - what a crock that was!)

zensunni wrote:
I hate to belabbor the point, but

Naaaaaah, you love it! Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:56 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:

My main point is that the tone of the boards is set by the editors and moderators, and with this type of rude, snarky way of treating someone who pointed out an error sets the tone for beligerent and rude behavior in general. But now I will do Zac suggests (since evidently being polite and appreciative of the fact that an error on the site has been corrected thanks to a user's comment is equivilent to being servile in his world and would be ridiculous) and drop it.

We'll never understand eachother if this is how you choose to interpret what I say. Good lord, man.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
You don't have to react to this post, because the discussion is mostly over, but I'm going to add the opinion of a Japanese major on the romanization subject.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
"Okami" and "Ookami" are very, very, very much not the same word.

They can be. These long vowels simply are frequently dropped in practice. I suppose because they often look awkward, are difficult to type in case of macrons and are of not much use.
Either way romanized Japanese words often cannot be 100% clear. Even if you keep the Oo, there are at least two different words that would be spelled "Ookami", so you still have to guess from the context and if you can do that, you don't need the long vowel either.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
All of them, however, use something over the "o" to indicate long vowels.... at least some of the time.

All of them have a way to represent these vowels, yes. But again, in practice, they often are ignored. I never counted, but I've seen very few street signs in Japan that use them, not to mention city names like Tokyo or Kyoto. I guess they simply make words more unnecessarily long and confusing for people unfamiliar with Japanese, while those familiar enough to tell the difference don't really need them anymore.

I use macrons in academic papers, but skip them for "daily usage". Romanization is flexible and in the end, all of it is just an approximation, the only "correct" spelling is in Japanese characters.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

Either way romanized Japanese words often cannot be 100% clear. Even if you keep the Oo, there are at least two different words that would be spelled "Ookami", so you still have to guess from the context and if you can do that, you don't need the long vowel either.

Well yes, obviously. That doesn't change the fact that Okami and Ookami are not, in fact, homonyms. Thats the entire point! Its like Yuki and Yuuki, for example. Frequently conflated, but two totally different words and totally different names.

Or to use an English example, Aaron and Erin are not the same, even though to many people, they sound quite similar. Very likely Aaron would not like people writing his name as Erin, and vice versa for Erin.

We are provided multiple methods of cutting down the confusion, so why are people so resistant to using them? And yes, the Japanese are terrible at this. No, that is not a defense of bad romanization practice.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:59 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd avoided reviewing [Ookami-san] at first because I confused it for some other fox deity-based titles like Kanokon, Inukami!, and Our Home's Fox Deity. Can you blame me? [/quote] Not really, though it should be noted that foxes and wolves aren't the same thing. And some of the blame should fall to Funimation and/or the Japanese licensors for using the title they did, instead of "Wolf and 7 Friends" or something like that. But then there'd be confusion with Spice and Wolf...

Quote:
Unfortunately, Ōkami-san turns sour every time it resorts to clichés, tropes, and anime standards.
I see this line of criticism in a fair of Shelf Life columns, and just about every time I feel like pointing out these:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreNotBad
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheTropelessTale

Saying "it's bad because it has tropes" isn't a valid criticism, at least not with the generally-accepted meaning of the word "trope."

Anyway, I do agree with the Rental Shelf rating, as Ookamisan suffers too much from 12-Episode Manga/LN syndrome. "Let's introduce the characters, include the obligatory beach/swimsuit episode, throw in a couple of dramatic conflict arcs, and then not conclude any of the main story or character/romantic elements."
Shows like that may well be entertaining while they last, but they feel like empty fluff afterward. At least Ookamisan had the JC Staff Toradora! team, some clever fairy tale elements, and a great Japanese voice cast. (Protip: imagine Kuroko Shirai from index/Railgun using her teleportation abilities to spy on everyone and provide the narration.) I'd say the best part was the flashbacks in episode 6 into Ryouko and Ringo's past, particularly Ringo calling out Ryouko on the latter's sleep-talking.

I only caught a bit of the dub; while I make no statements about its overall quality, I do have to wonder why they had to preserve "Okamisan" instead of just using her last name.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I'd say the best part was the flashbacks in episode 6 into Ryouko and Ringo's past, particularly Ringo calling out Ryouko on the latter's sleep-talking.

Ringo was, in general, a very interesting character. I would have liked to see more exploration of her feelings for Ryouko, as unrequited as they clearly were.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Or to use an English example, Aaron and Erin are not the same, even though to many people, they sound quite similar. Very likely Aaron would not like people writing his name as Erin, and vice versa for Erin.

I can attest to Aaron hating it when people spell it Erin. Or Aeron. Or Aron. Or Eron. Or Aren. I've seen it all.

Zalis16 wrote:
At least Ookamisan had the JC Staff Toradora! team

Eh, they don't share as much staff in the noticeable positions as you think. Director, writers, composition, [chief] animation directer, character design, and music are all different. They share some key animators, but that's about it as for "key roles" go. It doesn't help that Haruko Iizuka really, really aped (don't mean that as a bad thing) Masayoshi Tanaka's character designs and their animation styles are similar. At least, they're apparently similar, since I don't have much exposure to her work, though the whole show looks like Masayoshi has a big hand in it to my rookie animator-spotting eyes. Hironori Tanaka and Masayoshi also have kinda similar animation style, and Ookami uses Hironori a lot, so it looks a lot like Masayoshi is heavily involved (at least I kept thinking he was).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raneth

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:46 am Reply with quote
I've been watching Space Brothers, and I love it so far, but yes, the pacing is a bit on the purposefully slow side. It's debatable whether or not that's bad in this case, though-it artfully builds a lot of tension with its pacing, IMO, that makes the show suck the viewer in. It makes me really, really want to know what happens, and I haven't reached the point that it frustrates me yet.

Then again, I kind of require my shows to leave me hanging a lot-if too much is resolved at once, I get bored, and won't be able to get up the motivation to watch more episodes. So far, Space Brothers is doing a good job keeping me watching.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I can attest to Aaron hating it when people spell it Erin. Or Aeron. Or Aron. Or Eron. Or Aren. I've seen it all.

That's a different case, though. We're not talking about how to write Japanese words / names in their "primary script" (which the latin alphabet is for the names you mention), but in an approximated mostly-phonetic transliteration mainly intended for people unfamiliar with the language. There is of course no need to debate how to spell such words in Japanese characters.

However, Japanese people do use a variety of transliterations for their own names. They chose whichever spelling they prefer for whatever reason, and many of them drop the long vowels. (f.ex. I only know of one person using Ohkawa, but many other Okawas. And I've never even seen Otani spelled as Ootani etc.)
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, Ōkami-san turns sour every time it resorts to clichés, tropes, and anime standards.
I see this line of criticism in a fair of Shelf Life columns, and just about every time I feel like pointing out these:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreNotBad
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheTropelessTale

Saying "it's bad because it has tropes" isn't a valid criticism, at least not with the generally-accepted meaning of the word "trope."
Generally, I think it's implied that the problem is it isn't doing anything interesting with the tropes. It throws them out there because it's expected to have them, but it's like they're there to fill space rather than for actual execution. No one complains about a trope being presented in an interesting way.

I liked the concept behind Ookami-san, and tried to stick with it, but ended up dropping it halfway. It just wasn't doing anything that interested me.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I spy a booby mousepad. X3

Is that the snow-girl from ROSARIO+VAMPIRE? I don't remember her being that big. Pretty nice collection for just 5 months. The Nymph figures are way cute and I love the wallscroll(though my favorite is Astrea.)
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For me the break-out performance is Terri Doty as Alice Kiriki, the club's uptight workaholic secretary. (I haven't heard Doty in other shows, apparently.) Her voice is uniquely memorable and absolutely perfect for the character.

.........WHAT?!

Okay, I'm all for difference of opinion and the like, but this statement.... just..... AAUUGGH. Mad

I'm sorry, but no. I listened to this dub, and Terri Doty just really is NOT that good of an actress. She sounds completely lifeless, wooden, and bored, as if she was just reading the lines straight from the script page. There's no emotion or feeling at ALL in her voice. The rest of the dub is perfectly fine, but for you to focus on the WORST actress in it and call her performance a "break-out" quite frankly makes me think you really don't know what good voice-acting actually is.

Geez, this statement, along with the rest of your staff saying things like "the Redline dub is lifeless", "Darrel Guilbeau is perfectly fine in Durarara!!", "the Madoka dub was great", and perhaps the WORST offender, "the Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal dub gets an A", gives me the honest impression that you people wouldn't know a good dub if it bit you on the butt. Confused
Bob from Accounting

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
And as for Space Bros. it sounds like serious drama, and I just don't do serious drama. So, a pass on that one.

It's not a serious drama. It's very lighthearted, really. Mutta is too silly to ever let his story get angsty. :)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
I'd say the best part was the flashbacks in episode 6 into Ryouko and Ringo's past, particularly Ringo calling out Ryouko on the latter's sleep-talking.

Ringo was, in general, a very interesting character. I would have liked to see more exploration of her feelings for Ryouko, as unrequited as they clearly were.

There's subtle, not so subtle and just not there. For example, Bamboo Blade has the two older female club members who have no interest in any male characters. However, the part that spoke to me was the bit near the end where one girl pushed the other girl onto her bed, ran her hands down the other girl's arms while telling her how special she was. Ok, explains a lot...

In comparison, Ringo and Ryouko are just friends. How did you get unrequited feelings here? Ringo was playing matchmaker for both her friends/playthings throughout the entire series. I myself wouldn't have minded seeing Ringo's type though I'd imagine it would have to be someone more manipulative than she is.

Maybe you're confusing this a bit with ToraDora?

Anyways, I felt Miss Wolf and Her Seven Companions {Why just translate half of it?} was worthy for my shelf. It's cute, sweet and a little short but not too maudling. Like every good fairy tale, there's a dark twisted edge just lurking under the surface.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6