• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo to Restructure, Reduce Staff Count from 130 to 30

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
@ Unit 03.5-ish

I wouldn't be sad to see them go either. However there is a reason why pretty much none of their titles break the 10k mark.

I think someones been living under a rock, a very big rock lately.

Strike witches broke 13k zzzzzz.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-03/japanese-animation-dvd-ranking-january-27-february-2
all volumes sold over 10k.

Last edited by zaeris on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if part of their financial trouble is because they were making so many shows at a time? Of course, that's probably part of the reason also that some shows shone (Samurai 7) and others suffered (Speed Grapher).

EDIT: I don't think this will convince enough people to stop downloading fansubs (see: Chicks on Anime Fansubs Pt 2 topic).
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
However the American market is pretty much nonexistant compared to the Japanese. We have the common sense not to pay 50 bucks for 2 episodes and so the amount of money they get off of international licenses in nowhere near as much as say if they had a blockbuster in their home country. As you mentioned with Kyoto, they're not financially secure from international licensing but rather Haruhi and Lucky Star selling out in Japan.
@zaeris
And somebody needs to learn to read. I said pretty much not never.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Funimation will just buy them out next?
zaeris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
adding "none" is the equivalent of saying zero hence no titles as a collective. My reading comprehension is up to date, stating false information is doing you more harm than good. There are better way to emphasises a point more clearly if you wanted to talk about Gonzo's DVD sales as a whole.

Back to some civilized discussion.

The financial crisis is happen, I don’t think the situation is as clear as everyone believed it is attributing the down size of a company to their anime product. As some have pointed out most of Gonzo Success has been in the international market mainly the R1 market. Decline in sales is happening everywhere but whether the otaku market can hold its own is another matter, even if anime is a cult to them spending pattern will change when you have little income to work with. I can see the situation spiraling to other companies given the right push.

Last edited by zaeris on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I don't think this will convince enough people to stop downloading fansubs (see: Chicks on Anime Fansubs Pt 2 topic).

GONZO's recently been streaming all of their stuff, so people really don't have an excuse for getting fansubs of their shows (I'm a believer in fansubs used responsibly for preview-purposes). You still see plenty of people posting "fansubs," but most of them just rip the subtitles from GONZO's online releases.

I'd agree that GONZO hasn't done anything truly impressive recently. I mean, they've done some amazing stuff in the past, but right now only Druaga is worth watching, and I don't think I'd ever buy it (not into the genre enough). I'm looking forward to Shangri-la this spring, though - and it sucks to see that many people get fired.

And people who think that a reduction in production will lead to superior-quality shows are kidding themselves; it'll lead to more "marketable" shows, things that they think are guaranteed to get them a profit: more mecha, more cute girls, etc. Truly innovative shows on the level Gankutsuou will be the first to get the axe.

Last edited by vashfanatic on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
However the American market is pretty much nonexistant compared to the Japanese. We have the common sense not to pay 50 bucks for 2 episodes and so the amount of money they get off of international licenses in nowhere near as much as say if they had a blockbuster in their home country. As you mentioned with Kyoto, they're not financially secure from international licensing but rather Haruhi and Lucky Star selling out in Japan.
@zaeris

Pretty much nonexistent compared to the Japanese market? You obviously have no idea how much foreign sales, majority being North American, are for them. Almost half of their entire sales, if not more, are based on North American sales. Not domestic. Heck, more and more of their own domestic market are importing R1 dvds because they all come with the original Japanese tracks and are half the cost.
krelyan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
And people who think that a reduction in production will lead to superior-quality shows are kidding themselves; it'll lead to more "marketable" shows, things that they think are guaranteed to get them a profit: more mecha, more cute girls, etc. Truly innovative shows on the level Gankutsuou will be the first to get the axe.

I know Gonzo gets a lot of backlash for producing "crappy" shows among the web, but I think it's interesting to note that (likely) their most profitable works seem to be the so-called garbage.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
I know Gonzo gets a lot of backlash for producing "crappy" shows among the web, but I think it's interesting to note that (likely) their most profitable works seem to be the so-called garbage.

Yeah, people have no taste. Smile
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
It's because the people that pay just want to enjoy a show for what it's worth.
Psycho 101 wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
@zaeris

Pretty much nonexistent compared to the Japanese market? You obviously have no idea how much foreign sales, majority being North American, are for them. Almost half of their entire sales, if not more, are based on North American sales. Not domestic. Heck, more and more of their own domestic market are importing R1 dvds because they all come with the original Japanese tracks and are half the cost.
The Japanese market as a whole should do that to send a message.
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
*Heavy sigh* I can't sustain much hope for a production studio that's cutting its work force so substantially. Egad. That's just ridiculous.

And I agree that not all of Gonzo's shows are top-notch quality when it comes to story telling, but their animation standards alone will be a HUGE loss for the anime community. So much gorgeous eye-candy...gone! I mourn the day! Crying or Very sad
Delta26

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Fansubbers have finally killed an anime company. Whether Gonzo can recover from this is doubtful. You lose 75% of your creative staff--you know, the ones who actually create the products--and it's tough if not impossible to get back from that. Only a new influx of cash will be enough to save Gonzo because trying to produce your way back from this is pretty close to impossible.

Contrary to what the other posters in this thread have said, the economy has nothing to do with this. From over a year ago, the following warnings were issued:

animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2007-11-25

animenewsnetwork.com/industry-comments/arthur-smith-open-letter-on-fansubbing

And now here we are. One down. How many left to go?
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Man makes you wonder how others like I.G are managing now? Feel bad for Gonzo to have to sharply cut off their staff like that.
rg4619

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I wonder if part of their financial trouble is because they were making so many shows at a time?

Yes, I think they were trapped into having to make so many shows (no cash flow = immediate downsizing), despite losing more money over time.

Supposedly, Gonzo also took on more financial risk by pouring so much of their own money into original productions instead of remaining at the mercy of production committee partners (who're increasingly squeezing the profits of anime studios).
scortia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic. Only one out of ten Gonzo titles are worthwhile... so maybe now they'll focus on just the one and all the garbage won't even get a chance to come into existence.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7