• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mawaru Penguindrum's dub being directed by... Steven Foster?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
how long are we going to beat this horse? neither of you are going to change your opinions, so why not move on
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
getchman--
But one-half of the entertainment comes from watching them snipe at each other! Wink
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
getchman--
But one-half of the entertainment comes from watching them snipe at each other! Wink

ok, fair enough
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth, tone down the attitude or you get to take a vacation. You want to disagree with someone then go for it, but you are expected to be civil and respectful in the process. This seems to be becoming an issue lately and it's getting old.

Now you may return to your regularly scheduled program.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
penguintruth, tone down the attitude or you get to take a vacation. You want to disagree with someone then go for it, but you are expected to be civil and respectful in the process. This seems to be becoming an issue lately and it's getting old.

I fail to see how I've been either uncivil or disrespectful. At least, any more than anyone else in this thread. I was exposing the tired semantics of opinion debates with some disarming sarcasm. Well, it was intended to disarm.

But fine, I'll bow out of this particular discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
nbahn wrote:
getchman--

ok, fair enough

Wish I could feel that way, if I were not the topic starter and wrote that long-ass post on the first page that I more or less zoned out of a lecture class to write. From my standpoint, it feels like the thread was kinda hijacked... but now, it might not need to continue on that tangent. (So you don't have to leave the thread, penguintruth!)

I really had no intention... no intention at all of casting this into the great old dub vs. sub debate. I like plenty of English dubs myself, and isn't always a huge stickler for accuracy. (Heck, there are some anime that I only watch in English due to feeling no personal "need" or desire to switch on the Japanese track, as has been the case with Wolf's Rain and Cowboy Bebop.) The thing is, though, only certain kinds of dubs will work with certain kinds of shows-- and in the case of Mawaru Penguindrum, if I'd want its dub to carry its message and feeling to me the same way as the heavily theatrical-and-absurd-and-layered-and-symbolic original Japanese vision, vast-majority adherence to the script is a must, with whatever alterations there may be relegated to the purpose of sounding natural in spoken English (and maybe some jokes, but none egregiously out of place in a setting representing Japanese society spoiler[post-1995 sarin gas attacks]).

It's a situation similar with that of Madoka Magica, as the vast majority of dialogue is super-important in the original version of the show-- there are no real throwaway lines after the first episode or two, at least. Thus, it would make sense for a good dub to retain much of that original dialogue or inherent meaning. And in by-far-most instances, Madoka's dub lived up to the task. Mawaru Penguindrum's dub should at least do that much, in addition to trying to give the quality voice performances that should be asked of any dub.

/Forgive me if this post seems at least a couple pages late-- it actually is; I started writing this over an hour ago. BUT, I had a very good reason-- I was watching the Director's Cut versions of Evangelion's episodes 23 & 24 again with my roommate. The original meaning seemed to get carried across effectively in that dub too, I might add!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
....wasn't turning it to a sub vs. dub talk. I watch subs if I HAVE to, meaning...I'll do it there is no English track.

Someone just didn't seem to happy that I didn't care about the original source...which I could care less about the Japanese voices and that script. As long as the show assumes me, it's works for me. And I sure won't be going out of my way to compare the two, if I don't like the English, I won't like the show and I won't go out of my way to view it in the Japanese track.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I fail to see how I've been either uncivil or disrespectful. At least, any more than anyone else in this thread. I was exposing the tired semantics of opinion debates with some disarming sarcasm. Well, it was intended to disarm.

You really think that between your sarcasm, insults, hostility, and just the way you talk in general, you're actually "disarming"? With all due respect, a good number of people you've debated it would probably say otherwise. I mean being serious here, do you bother looking back at any post you've written?
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
As I've already pre ordered the show, and I generally prefer to watch anime in english when watching them on DVD/BD since I don't have to pay as much attention, I will at least try out the dub. That being said I have extremely low expectations.

Accuracy aside, I've only liked a small handful of his dubs, and the rest ranged from meh, to godawful. I might be less worried if this was a slice of life show or something since script changes couldn't do as much to hurt it, but this is kind of show where there's metaphors and abstract dialog up the wazzoo and needs to be as faithful as possible to be done right, and this exactly the kind of show he's NOT known for doing that with.

Well maybe if the cast list looks decent my hope can be brought up a little bit...
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
I agree with Truth, to an extent, although Japanese animated shows like Tenchi in Love's English versions are actually not dubs. In Love actually was in English FIRST. As for the other guy, if the script is not in tandem to the Japanese version, then what are you watching? You're not watching the same cartoon. You're only watching it visually. Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, Big O(both), 8th MS Team, Char's Counterattack and Outlaw Star are ALL Bandai dubs and they have 1 thing in common. They are ALL literal translations of their respective Japanese versions. 90-95% of the dialogue is what they're MEANT to be saying(literally. The 10% is the smoothing out). Those dubs are also above average, in terms conveyance of characters, in terms of VAing, while sounding smooth and having great delivery, because they can KEEP up with the mouth flaps and scripts. You can't have a well acted dub, if the script is terrible. The reason the CB dub is so well liked around the Earth is BECAUSE it's ACCURATE and WELL ACTED. DBZ's dub is the opposite. Truth is right, I'm afraid.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
@ DomonX2:

I really need to point out that you've pretty much argued what Penguintruth goes on being a broken record about without being so harsh, hostile, and sarcastic about it.

Though I do want to point out how you can't have a well-acted dub without a good script as if the only good script is an entirely accurate one, right down to the last detail. I honestly think depending on the story, you can take some liberties with a script if the result is it'll sound better. One recent example of this is the A Certain Magical Index dub. I like how that dub actually made it easier for me to sit through that show. It doesn't fix all of the problems with that show like when it gets whole scenes long-winded in expository dialogue, not that the dub could fix that. But it manages to tweek enough things where the characters sound and act more like they're age and informal. It even tweeks casting actors with characters whose voices make them sound less like one-note characterizations, like with the young-looking teacher.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
As for the other guy, if the script is not in tandem to the Japanese version, then what are you watching? You're not watching the same cartoon. You're only watching it visually. Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, Big O(both), 8th MS Team, Char's Counterattack and Outlaw Star are ALL Bandai dubs and they have 1 thing in common. They are ALL literal translations of their respective Japanese versions. 90-95% of the dialogue is what they're MEANT to be saying(literally. The 10% is the smoothing out).

Yeah, so what if they're literal translations? Would I know that? No because I don't watch the said "original." I couldn't really care how close it is to the Japanese script. As long as I enjoy the English, that's all that matters to me.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
i dont know about the rest of you but i thought the gay robot space train station attendants in the princess Laine-centric episode of season 3 of UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie were hilarious
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
I was singularly unimpressed by 5 Centimeters Per Second; and what he did to Voices of a Distant Star was, in a word, unforgivable.

I find Foster's work on Makoto Shinkai films to be his strongest dubs to date it really seems like he goes the extra mile on Shinkai's Films. I love the dub for Voices of a Distant Star its surprising that some people feel so strongly against its dub.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Look, I fully realize that when it comes to entertainment that reasonable people will disagree about things; what (to me, anyway) is the biggest turnoff of the Voices of a Distant Star dub is when Mikako is speaking to Noboru in the stairwell. A hesitant and shy girl is now bold bordering upon arrogant. I did not like it.

Obviously, reasonable people can disagree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7