• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Team/Org Tournament: Guide Write-Ups

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Gin, Hana, and Miyuki, Tokyo Godfathers, three homeless people from the streets of Tokyo, their lives forever change when they find a baby abandoned near Christmas and do everything in their power to reunite the baby with her parents.

Disallowed, and this is exactly why I wanted to use the "must have a formal name" requirement. We are not going to have in this tournament just any group of three people who work together for some purpose. They have to have a sense of group identity, and these three don't.

Basically, if you have to name a not-formally-named group by using the characters' names, then the group doesn't qualify.

The Shadow Girls from Revolutionary Girl Utena are disallowed because they spend too much of the series as only a duo.

rainbowcourage wrote:
I would like to vote against The Organization from Claymore on the grounds that we know next to nothing about them. I would like to vote against The Soldats for a similar reason-though we know more about them, they are so shrouded in mystery throughout the series that I don't feel there is sufficient support for them.

So in other words, most secret organizations in anime are going to fail by your standard?

I don't agree with your logic here at all; both series may not tell us everything about either, but offer plenty enough to merit their inclusion. It should be undeniable that both The Organization and the Soldats show a fierce dedication towards their purposes and a powerful sense of identity and mystique.

EDIT: Child's Toy from Kodocha is a TV show, not a team or organization. Let's not go there, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I can go through with secondings in a bit, I guess, but I should probably first nominate a couple I don't see here yet:

The Mabudachi Trio, Fruits Basket -- A minor inclusion, but a deserved spot, because these three gots personality! (Something kind of lacking in some of these nominations...I mean...well...the Knights from Lain? I don't even remember any important characters therein, although they are more of an "organization," they're not real memorable.) Anyway, point being, these three goofballs complement each other well and stood fast beside each other in a family where strife and fear were normally the ties that bound within the Sohma.

Colonel Mustang's squadron, Fullmetal Alchemist -- Gotta hear me out on this one, I think. Since sub-units of government organizations are allowed so long as you can tell who is in them and who is not*. Mustang's men (and woman) definitely have individualized skills, are loyal and valuable to him, have personality and memorability, and are defined as a group. I definitely think they would be included. There's even a scene or two where they're called on from all across the eastern territory to follow the colonel in an ambitious move back to Central that pretty much defines what their roles are and how badly they want to come with him.

*All the "good" military characters save for Armstrong and Hughes, basically. More specifically: Mustang, Hawkeye, Falman, Havoc, Breda, and Fuery.

Kira Investigation Task Force, Death Note -- (By which I mean the one L runs with Soichiro, Aizawa, Matsuda, Mogi, etc. Not Near's American equivalent.) Despite the snake in their midst that they...aren't real good about rooting out, this bunch is diligent, diverse, and a major part of the story, so they're at least worth mentioning.

Quote:
also, question, The Digidestined, there are 5 distinct groups, should they be supported as such, or just the Digidestined as a whole, regardless of which show they came out of?

I would say all or either of them regardless, but because the groups and their dynamics were so different in every season, one should probably be picked for when debate arises.

Out of all five seasons...the fifth season's group should be totally ignored, it was a bowl of self-centered teenager cliches who worked independently a lot of the time.

The third season was also very different in that each digimon and his partner's relationship was stressed instead of the group and the group wasn't really much of a cohesive one, with characters based on and more reminiscent of Evangelion, so no.

That leaves season 1/2 (relative same cast) and 4. Either one works because season 1 or 2 is FAR more well-known and they had a good diverse bunch o' friends thing going, but if you want to get technical on which group complemented each other the best and was strongest, it's actually season 4. There were no digimon partners in that season, just kids, and they were all pretty annoying, messed-up little brats at the beginning and eventually became better, actually likable kids by the end, all of it based around friendship and making one another better. Corny, but a better group. Just throwin it out there.
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
The Mew Mews, Tokyo Mew Mew - a group of five girls infused with the DNA of red list (in danger of extinction) animal species. Formed by Ryou Shirogane and Keiichiro Akasaka, they're led by Ichigo to fight against aliens attempting to reclaim the earth.

Team Japan, Medabots - The Japanese National Robattling team for the World Championships, supposedly the best three robattlers in Japan; Ikki, Koji and Space Medafighter X. Space Medafighter X being a secret persona, several people ended up playing his part, including Henry, Karin, Erika, Samantha, Sloan, and Spyke.

501st Joint Fighter Wing, Strike Witches - a squadron of magical girls capable of using a Striker Unit to fly, similar to an aeroplane. They fight to defend the Britannian home islands from an enemy force known as the Neuroi.

The Magical Girl Squad, Tweeny Witches - a trio of girls dedicated to finding a way to bring harmony with magic and protect the sprites used to cast it, whilst coping with the destruction of the world and the collapse of the political system.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
nominating
The Six God-Generals, Tales of the Abyss (please note, I am going by what happens in the game here, I can't imagine these guys didn't make it into the anime though considering that it was a 26 episode series and they are the main villain group). Their leader, Van, and the six members directly called the god-generals, they are one of the main villain groups in the game/anime. Van's objective spoiler[is to rebuild the world so that it no longer needs to be bound to the score, which is said to fortell the fate of everyone in the world, wether they like it or not] and of course try to prevent the Hero's group from saving the world.

Keroro Platoon, Sgt. Frog, a group of frog-like creatures from another planet, they have come to take over the earth and build Gundam models. Some of their plans to take over the earth or severely annoy the Hinata family (who's house they have set up base in) are more successful than others, but they won't give up until they've taken over the planet!
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm nominating the following groups

The Deloyer 7, Fang of the Sun Dougram - A guerilla organization rebelling against the Earth Federation on the planet, Deloyer.

okyo Metropolitan Police Special Vehicle Section 2, Division 2, Mobile Police Patlabor - A special division of the TMPD that deals with crimes involving construction robots called labors.

Seconding the Knight Sabers, Gekkostate, and NERV
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:
-Social Welfare Agency (Gunslinger Girl)- I'm gonna disregard my voting for Section 2 since they're a sub-section of the SWA since I wasn't sure if the agency would have been allowed since it was a large-scale organization.
-ParaKiss Label (Paradise Kiss)- A group with great teamwork and communication between one another towards developing their fashion project.
-The Knights (Serial Experiment Lain)- Held plenty of influence over activities in the Wired and the series did enough to keep you guessing just what they truly were.

Nominating:
-The I-Jin (Read or Die OAV)- A group of genetically-enhanced clones of famous historical figures spoiler[that attempted to eliminate the entire human population through a "suicide symphony" musical piece composed by Beethoven.]

I'm also in question over the nomination of the Digidestined since there are five different versions of the group formed through the show's seasons, three of which take place in different continuities than what the two Digimon Adventures seasons had.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skylark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll support:

Black Knights from Code Geass - had a strong identity and sense of purpose.
Black Lagoon Company from Black Lagoon - kicked a lot of ass
Debris Section from Planetes - each character led to the success of each operation
Gekkostate from Eureka Seven - did their best to save the planet and did it both stylishly and while kicking mass ass
3 Section from Pumpkin Scissors - come on, one of their members can be shot directly by a tank and short range and KEEP DESTROYING IT. Yet they're always doing more peacekeeping-type jobs and trying to support those less fortunate.
SOS Brigade from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - great entertainment, good character balance.
Team Rocket from Pokemon - sure, why the hell not! These guys were my favourite back in the day.
Dai-Gurren Brigade from Gurren Lagann - ass-kickery, yar. Who the hell do you think they are??
Millenion from Gungrave - Ruthless mafioso's led by a quiet, peaceful man who likes fishing, playing golf etc. The company is host to the best sweeper ever, Brandon Heat.

Nominating:

The Organisation from Darker than BLACK. Hei's team specifically may not have had a name, but this company had dark dealings throughout the series, with it's hands deeply involved in the use of contractors for profit and gain. This might be a little far-fetched because we only ever see Hei's team operate, but I really think _something_ from Darker than BLACK should get in this one because they were such an god-damn effective team.

Chronos from Black Cat. I can't believe they haven't been nominated yet; the numbers kick so much ass it's not funny. Well organised, secretive and deadly, with the most effective assassins on the planet.

The Bebop from Cowboy Bebop - very unfortunate bounty hunters, supremely awesome at their job, yet can never make enough money to keep their stomachs happy.

Afternoon Tea Time (? not sure if this is correct) from K-ON! - always working together for the common dream of hitting the big time and playing at the Budokan.

Dragon Cavalry from Noein - these guys travel through parallel worlds from their own home-world of Lacrima to keep all the worlds safe from one who would try to bring them all together (and thus destroy them all). They are a ridiculously effective unit with incredible powers, and aside from anything else just look awesome.

That's all I've got for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
When I nominated the Digidestined, I meant for it to be 5 separate nominations with the same basic idea and goal for each (i've only seen the first 4 season, but they all boiled down to saving the digital world and their world by some strange connection), so that way people could vote for or against some Digi teams, but not others. Obviously, my laziness in writing that came out wrong, I know all 5 can't be in the tourney anyway, so I'd figure the top 3 sets would get in and the other two wouldn't (since it's three per franchise).

The only hiccup here is the Adventure 1 and 02 groups, which I'd like to think of as separate, but could be counted as one massive group over two different shows at the same time (due to the first digidestined team all being in the 2nd series as well), so I guess that'd be up for debate. I say they're separate because they are two different shows with different digidestined sets (even if 02 is a sequel show and two of the digidestined followed over), but I understand arguements for the other side on this one.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
When I nominated the Digidestined, I meant for it to be 5 separate nominations with the same basic idea and goal for each (i've only seen the first 4 season, but they all boiled down to saving the digital world and their world by some strange connection), so that way people could vote for or against some Digi teams, but not others.

Oh okay, I see. I guess if I had to pick three...

...you know, I think only seasons 1, 2, and 4 had very much of a group identity. Season five was a bunch of obnoxious disjunct punks and in season 3, any kid could own a digimon if he earned the right and not all of them worked together, and they never considered themselves much of a team, which I think was the point of that particular season. Anyway, seeing as two of season 2's five main characters were also mains from season 1, and the college-age returning characters were almost as important and definitely part of the "new" team, I'd count season 1 and 2 as the same group in one big ole continuity.

Season 4, being in a COMPLETELY different continuity but much more team-focused, also deserves a mention, though. I mean, team unity could not have been a louder, preachier part of that season. They were basically the power rangers, but with deeper, more interesting personalities. (For a kids' show, that is.)
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:
The Guardian Council, Shugo Chara - Similar to a student council in that they help plan, organize, and run school-wide events, the Guardians also are required to locate and restore X-eggs (and later ?-eggs) of children whose dreams are being crushed, exploited, or stolen. While early on, Amu is just about the only one who can actually do anything about the eggs, late in the first season, the other guardians get a boost in power that allows them to take a more active roll. Beyond this, the council are great friends with one another, eagerly providing advice and emotional support to each other.

Chupacabra Research Club, Negima!? - Initially formed by Asuna to investigate the supposed presence of the mythical creature in the wake of a series of vampire attacks, the club soon becomes a front organization for everyone who knows about Negi's magical abilities. The club assists Negi in dealing with the evil fairies that appear and recover the portions of the star crystal. After this is accomplished, the club is tasked to investigate the nature of the crystal and search for a way out of the false Mahora academy in which they become trapped.

Muroe Kendo Club, Bamboo Blade - Though only loosely a team sport (in that matches are still between individuals), the girls (and guys) of Muroe High School's Kendo club provide each other with much needed moral support and valuable training. They are able to identify the weaknesses present in each other, and then work together to overcome them.

Special Services Division, Heat Guy J - Despite the Divisions lack of manpower and tight budget, it is very efficient at getting its job done. It handles illegal robots, a serial bomber, a mob organized financial scheme, a mysterious terrorist threat, and more. At one point, when the main character gets kidnapped and his partner is in for repairs, the secretary embarks on a risky rescue mission that turns out unexpectedly well for someone with no combat training.

Oh, the 3+ members don't all have to be named members anymore? Awesome, that means I can nominate:
Hotel Moscow, Black Lagoon - A ruthlessly efficient criminal organization. Unlike other gangs, it is comprised of professionally trained former Soviet military officers and soldiers. Led by Balalaika, they are feared and respected throughout Roanapur. Technically, Hotel Moscow is an international organization, but each branch is able to operate mostly independently, and Balalaika's is the only one we see do much of anything.

So, I take rule 3
Quote:
Must not be a national-scale political or military entity, although subdivisions of such entities – such as individual military units, departments, or sections – are allowed. Groups whose main identity is as a family unit or race are also not allowed.

means I can't nominate Operation Happy Family from Kyoran Kazoku Nikki? They're not related by blood with one exception (and that wasn't intended to happen, but Kyoka makes her own rules) but their meant to act as such.

Supporting:
The Paper Sisters, R.O.D. the TV They compliment each others skills in combat and on various assignments, and also provide emotional support (and share financial burdens... mainly the cost of books).
The Crew of the Outlaw Star, Outlaw Star - An eclectic group with a variety of talents, they work together surprisingly well.
The Crew of the Nirvana, Vandread - Despite starting with members from two opposing factions, they come to work together exceedingly well, and teamwork is regularly required in order to survive and accomplish their mission.
Debris Section, Planetes - Everyone has a specific job to do, and they all do it well. When the situation looks bad, they stand up for each other.
Ala Alba (aka White Wing), Negima OVAs - Highly capable individuals who know each other well enough, they barely have to communicate to support each other (as the gateport incident should show).
Ouran High School Host Club - Surprisingly close and tight-knit for a bunch of rich pretty-boys.
Lagoon Company, Black Lagoon - They have to be good at what they do to survive in that part of the world. After Revy gets over her initial rejection of Rock, team interaction gets better as well.

What's the name of the special forces unit in Moribito? They have a name, right? Someone should nominate them. I would if I could remember what they were called.

Against:
Coil Denno Detective Agency, [/i]Denno Coil[/i] - Of the main group of characters, I recall only maybe two of them (not counting the grandmother) were actually members. Prove me wrong, and I'll remove this vote, but I believe the "Detective Agency" isn't really very much of a group at all.

The SOS Brigade, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Really? Are you all just being ironic? The four members who know the true nature of the club are keeping its president in the dark out of fear. Kyon is reluctant to do ANYTHING, ever, and constantly bitches about the activities, Haruhi, and Itsuki. Yuki takes no initiative unless it is immediately necessary, deferring to Kyon on anything else. Mikuru is essentially useless, and what information she has that might potentially be useful is inevitably classified. Itsuki is pretty much always friendly and helpful, but this tends to only benefit Haruhi, while at the same time completely pissing off Kyon.

The Organization, Claymore - Firstly, the interaction between soldiers is terrible. The level of respect between any two Claymores is dependent entirely on their own perception of each other, and as discipline is apparently not a part of the initial training, it is hardly uncommon to see them fighting each other as fiercely as they fight Yoma or Awakened Beings.

Secondly, the apparent inconsistency in the Organization's mission. Their tasks outwardly is to eliminate Yoma that threaten villages (for a fee) or the organization itself, but that they are inconsistent in their enforcement of the never kill humans rule (Teresa was condemned to death for slaying murderous, rapist bandits, but Ophelia seems to have been able to kill whomever she wanted with no repercussions).

Thirdly, the general treatment of Claymores as expendable at best, and dangerously knowledgeable at worst. They treat what would appear to be their greatest asset with contempt, in general.

The manga goes into more detail about the actual intentions of the shadowy parts of the Organization, but the anime leaves only the barest hints for speculation as to its true goals.

The Aasu Sisters, Puni Puni Poemi - Well, they're horribly ineffective at what they do, and I think they're a violation of rule 3.

Dragon Cavalry, Noein - To Your Other Self - The Cavalry is beset by deserters and betrayal, assuming they haven't died, first. Granted, most of the deserters end up working together with the main cast, but they're not members of the Dragon Cavalry anymore at that point.

Last edited by Dorcas_Aurelia on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I also nominate the Black Knights because they fought for Japan's indepedence even if revolutionaries/freedom fighters are a form of terrorism. I will nominate also the Cyborg 009 team because they were one of the earliest teams in anime (1960s) and the creator would later create the Super Sentai series. Also, because the main voice of Cyborg 009 (two episodes Derek "Ken from Digimon" Stephen Prince was the voice but these were episodes 5 and 9) was Joshua Seth. Seth was the voice of Tai. I've read and agree Tai is the best of all the Digidestined Leaders.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Against

Bebop Crew, Cowboy Bebop - Because of what Key said in This Post:

Key wrote:
The crew of the Bebop is not any sense a "team" or "organization," though. The series makes it clear that they are merely a group of disparate individuals who happen to come together for a while. Rarely do they ever work as a unit, so they would not be a good fit for this tournament.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Dragon Cavalry, Noein - To Your Other Self - The Cavalry is beset by deserters and betrayal, assuming they haven't died, first. Granted, most of the deserters end up working together with the main cast, but they're not members of the Dragon Cavalry anymore at that point.

I don't really think that's a fair accusation. The team had been working together for a long time before coming across the actual Dragon Torque, operating effectively. Hell, even Karasu only deserted spoiler[when he found out that the Torque was his own lost love in a plane of existence very, very similar to his own.] Even after he defected in an attempt to save her, the rest of the team did their jobs with ruthless precision. Eventually it became evident that he was right, but even then it was essentially the same team operating for the same goal (to stop Shangri-la from taking over).
guet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Seconding:
The Band of the Hawk Berserk
Gekkostate Eureka Seven
Nerv Evangelion
Section 9 Ghost in the Shell
Team Urameshi Yu Yu Hakusho
The Slayers Slayers
The crew of the Outlaw Star Outlaw Star
Terra RahXephon
The Yorozua Gintama
The crew of the Silvana Last Exile
The Game Club Higurashi
The Lagoon Company Black Lagoon

Nominating:
The Strawhat Pirates/ One Piece: You can't have a team contest without including this band of misfits, the loyalty and teamwork shown by the crew is the true soul of the series.

Hellsing/ Hellsing: Rivals to the Vatican while guarding England from the nazi and vampire menace, Sir Integra's order of warriors is a natural fit for this contest.

The Kamogawa Gym/ Hajime no Ippo franchise: Makunoichi, Takamura, Aoki, Kimura and those who help train them are also a good fit in my opinion, underneath all the comedy there is a team dynamic all centered around this gym and the struggle to be champions.

Shibuya Psychic Research/ Ghost Hunt: Naru's crew of supernatural researchers is also a good fit. While they don't always see eye to eye, there is still a strong team interaction where each member brings unique skills to the table to help solve supernatural cases.

The Anti-Earth Union Group (AEUG)/ Gundam Zeta: Consisting of some of the most classic heroes and anti-hero's of the entire genre, if any team deserves to make the cut from this massive franchise it should probably be this one.

Strategic Military Service (SMS)/ Macross Frontier: A private military orginzation that must get to the bottom of political corruption while defending against an alien threat, the SMS is also the home of the later version of the franchise-famous "Skull Squadron".
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Seconding

Ouran High School Host Club
The Paper Sisters, R.O.D. the TV
The Children of Befort, Fantastic Children
Black Knights, Code Geass franchise
The SOS Brigade, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Kaleido Stage crew, Kaleido Star
Team Urameshi, Yu Yu Hakusho
Slayers’s team, Slayers franchise
The Guardian Council, Shugo Chara
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 25