• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: All of Z Gundam, 2 Gundam UC Trailers Now Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Question(s):

I've just started with Mobile Suite Gundum (2 eps in and liking so far), is it worth watching this series all the way through? Are there fillers that should be avoided? Does Z Gundam tell the same story?
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Mobile Suit Gundam is, in this mecha fans opinion, one of the better shows that came out back in the early 80s. Zeta Gundam is MSG's sequel series, that only features a few returning characters, and tells a whole new story.

As for story arcs in MSG, there isn't really a part to skip, but you may want to avoid Time Be Still and Sayla's Agony. Bored Zeon soldiers planting bombs on the Gundam and everyone pretty much standing around, watching Amuro disarm them for maybe five minutes. Sayla's Agony is pretty much "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Quest for SALT."

Other than that, if you have a Tomino mindset, you should have a pretty good time.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks so much.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Thanks so much.

Although for re-watching purposes, the Movie Compilation Trilogy does a very good job of excising the important bits, and reworking the animation and music.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
You mean the unimportant bits.

The original movie trilogy does a good job of portraying the movies as their own entity. It doesn't even feel like they pasted together bits of the series most of the time. They smoothen things out, and focus on the Newtype angle.

My only complaint was the removal of the Odessa attack and M'Quve's launching of a hydrogen bomb.

I only wish the Zeta movies had been done as well. Whoever decided turning a fifty episode series into three ninety minute movies was a good idea needs to rethink their career. Unless it was Tomino himself, in which case, he's just nutty that way.

Then again, despite how awful, those movies were quite successful, and showed just how strong Zeta still is even decades later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I meant excising the important bits from the show.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Confused now. Anime smile + sweatdrop ... So I shouldn't watch the movies because all the important stuff is take out, or I should because they are animated better? Which series shouldn't I watch?
Question
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Excising means cutting out. What important parts did the movies cut out? The search for salt?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
Nevermind. I'll just believe FaytLein. He seems to know what he's talking about.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Excising means cutting out. What important parts did the movies cut out? The search for salt?

Not to digress, but let me explain some confusion about the English language:

To excise: To cut out unwanted parts and discard them.

I think walkjsdhfkjsdh meant to say "extracting:"

To extract: To take out only the part that is needed.

So in other words, the movies "Extract the important bits from the TV show" or they "Excise the unneeded bits from the TV show"

i.e. they are a good way to watch the series more quickly than watching the entire tv series. Most everyone has that opinion.
kusanagi-style

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Is there a place I can watch the original US Gundam series? I have the DVDs but I am missing 3 of the OOP ones..it would be awesome if I could watch them online
Crunchy roll has them on stream right now.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The original movie trilogy does a good job of portraying the movies as their own entity. It doesn't even feel like they pasted together bits of the series most of the time. They smoothen things out, and focus on the Newtype angle.

My only complaint was the removal of the Odessa attack and M'Quve's launching of a hydrogen bomb.

I only wish the Zeta movies had been done as well. Whoever decided turning a fifty episode series into three ninety minute movies was a good idea needs to rethink their career. Unless it was Tomino himself, in which case, he's just nutty that way.

Then again, despite how awful, those movies were quite successful, and showed just how strong Zeta still is even decades later.

I always felt that Zeta was overrated due to the fact that a ton of people believe that True Art is Angsty, with the Titans being fairly one note instead of the well developed Zeon, and Moon People that Tomino's other series have given us, and the incompetency of the Earth Federation is nothing short of staggering. Tomino was having a massive breakdown and it shows.
krpalmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:53 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I always felt that Zeta was overrated due to the fact that a ton of people believe that True Art is Angsty, with the Titans being fairly one note instead of the well developed Zeon, and Moon People that Tomino's other series have given us, and the incompetency of the Earth Federation is nothing short of staggering. Tomino was having a massive breakdown and it shows.

To be honest, I don't know if it was somehow a product of the bad feelings surrounding the missing theme songs and inaccurate subtitles of the original box set, but I had ambiguous feelings about Zeta Gundam when I first watched it myself. (Or, perhaps, I'd been oversold on it by the people who'd got to see it in the 1990s and 1980s to think it was "perfect," the supreme accomplishment of anime...) The Titans did indeed seem like just "the heavies" to me, and not always "competent" themselves. As well, I kept getting the feeling that episodes would have developments that seemed significant, but within a few more episodes they wouldn't seem to matter.

Since then, I've not only rewatched the series twice more but also bought the DVDs with the improved subtitles, and maybe I have started to pick up on the plot a little more. Certainly, too, I wouldn't begrudge anyone else their own enjoyment of the series. I suppose, though, that standing out against the established opinion in this case is something I just sort of do...
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'd love to buy the Gundam UC blu -ray, even if only to support blu rays in america but that price is way to high for what I'm guessing is one episode.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Well, I agree that the Titans are not the most nuanced antagonists, but if you think the Zeon were any more ambiguous, you don't remember the original series that well. Aside from a few honorable people, like Big John, or Ramba Ral, the Zeon were also a bunch of lunatics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4