• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai to Air on TheCW4Kids on Saturdays

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darksharingan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Stefnick wrote:
Hoorah, now I'll be able to watch the series, I don't get Nicktoons.

I realize how a lot of people feel about 4kids anything, but I'm seriously happy for this news, hopefully, the broadcast won't be any (too) different from Nicktoons. (though I guess I wouldn't really know.)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? This is a nigtmare beyond words. Having it on Nicktoons and Naruto Shippuden on Disney was bad enough but DBZ to 4 crap kids of all things??? Are they trying to deliberaterly ruin anime for US hardcore otakus. Cause if they are attempting to draw them to the sub version online , then they are sure doing it cause no thanks to 4kids most of them watch subs only and this will make it even worse. Just like with Shippuden this TV broadcast is another "avoid like the plague" cause knowing 4kids, they'll give the massive edits that they give to anime every time.

One Peice and Shaman King horror the sequel much??? and worse is that just like with OP and Shippuden , streamers are gonna rip the eps and illeagly stream them.

I don't know what the hell Funi is doing but if they don't cgane this decision soon, it's gonna end up like Geneon as well as Central Park Media & ADV Films.

SIX FEET UNDER!!!

First of all, 4Kids does NOT own the rights, they're just airing it and that's it.

Secondly, yes 4Kids is a crap company, but to complain about edits here that you're gonna see on almost ANY other station is pointless.

Thirdly maybe 4Kids edits are severe compared to most companies, but just like in the first point, they do NOT own it, therefore when the DVD comes out, everything removed on TV will be restored.

Fourthly, ALL shows get edits, not just anime. Prison Break has TV edits, Hell's Kitchen has edits, movies shown on TV have edits, so don't think Cartoon Network or Nicktoons would do any better.

Fifth, this is in a way a good thing. Kids love 4Kids, so this is a chance to bring back anime to the peak it had a few years ago, kids will watch it, buy the DVDs which will contain uncut versions and they'll grow up to be anime fans and anime will make more and more money which results in MORE anime being produced in Japan.

Sixth, Naruto Shippuden on Disney Anime hyper was NOT a disaster, those were edits that Cartoon Network would have made anyway, so it's not unwatchable and the DVDs are out with the show UNCUT!!

Basically, stop complaining about TV CUTS because EVERYTHING is cut and later restored on the DVDs. BUY THEM if you want to watch them uncut like everyone else does because 4Kids only does PERMANENT EDITS to shows THEY license (anime that they dub and distribute like YuGiOh and Digimon and do not release them uncut)
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:

Basically, stop complaining about TV CUTS because EVERYTHING is cut and later restored on the DVDs. BUY THEM if you want to watch them uncut like everyone else does because 4Kids only does PERMANENT EDITS to shows THEY license (anime that they dub and distribute like YuGiOh and Digimon and do not release them uncut)

I agree with your points completely, but I just thought I'd point this out - 4Kids doesn't, and never had, anything to do with Digimon. That was Saban, and now, Disney.

And it may just be my nostalgia goggles, but I don't think Saban did anything near as bad to Digimon as 4Kids did to some of it's shows.

I'm almost thinking that one guy's first post was just a prank now, as overboard as he was. Then I remember how a lot of my fellow DB fans are...*sighs*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dakaran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
It's about time anime gets back on TV. You need airing time a LOT to get the new gen of fans. The net is powerful but don't underestimate TV. ;p What's not shown is going to become forgotten.

Btw 4 kids was awesome when I was young, channel 34 in canada fox tv every saturday full morning of anime from 7 am to 11h30 am. Razz
darksharingan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
darksharingan wrote:

I agree with your points completely, but I just thought I'd point this out - 4Kids doesn't, and never had, anything to do with Digimon. That was Saban, and now, Disney.

And it may just be my nostalgia goggles, but I don't think Saban did anything near as bad to Digimon as 4Kids did to some of it's shows.

I'm almost thinking that one guy's first post was just a prank now, as overboard as he was. Then I remember how a lot of my fellow DB fans are...*sighs*

Yeah but isn't Saban defunct right now leaving the newer digimon series in the hands of 4Kids? Look at Digimon Savers.

Last edited by darksharingan on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is good news for folks who don't have the Nicktoons channel.

Don't expect any more or any fewer edits for content based on the announcement. The Nicktoons site clips shows Saban-like edits for things as innocent as an old man drinking beer. But think of it as a free preview of the DVDs/Blu-Rays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
....Man and this is supposed to deter piracy?
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:

Yeah but isn't Saban defunct right now leaving the newer digimon series in the hands of 4Kids? Look at Digimon Savers.

Saban is defunct, but like I said, it's now in the hands of Disney, not 4Kids. Disney bought out Saban, so it owns anything that Saban used to, like Power Rangers, Digimon, ...Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation...er, did I mention they have Power Rangers? Yeah...we'll just go on pretending that 3rd show I mentioned didn't exist, k?

Anyway, Savers actually had a pretty good dub as far as Digimon dubs go. I don't think there was anything that badly edited, save for the bomb Digimon into an orange...which counts for a ton of bad edits all on it's own actually.

Back on topic, I may watch the 4Kids airing just to see how the advertising is handled differently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I eagerly await the new theme song.
darksharingan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
darksharingan wrote:

Saban is defunct, but like I said, it's now in the hands of Disney, not 4Kids. Disney bought out Saban, so it owns anything that Saban used to, like Power Rangers, Digimon, ...Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation...er, did I mention they have Power Rangers? Yeah...we'll just go on pretending that 3rd show I mentioned didn't exist, k?

Anyway, Savers actually had a pretty good dub as far as Digimon dubs go. I don't think there was anything that badly edited, save for the bomb Digimon into an orange...which counts for a ton of bad edits all on it's own actually.

Personally, I didn't like the Digimon Savers Dub, the dialogue was too cheesy and felt like it was aimed at little kids when the Japanese version felt like it was targeting the same age group as Naruto.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anime fans just like to complain about ANYTHING related to anime in America. I mean, this is NOTHING like what 4Kids usually does. They actually have the guts to air DB to kids.

They complain about EVERY dub being bad including that of FUNimation and ADV which is so untrue, they do amazing jobs. These whiners can't act any better and can't even understand Japanese so it's impossible to tell if they are good or bad actors. It's all the stupid IT SOUNDS COOL IN JAPANESE THAT IT MUST BE GOOD ACTING attitude.

They complain about TV stations that license to broadcast anime which is not the same as actually licensing the rights to the anime itself.

Please, complain about things that matter, like the permanent cuts some companies make like the horrible treatment that Japanese Transformers has gotten. They took badass war-themed Transformers and toned down so much that they became corny. Me being a fan of G1, I find the RiD and Unicron Trilogy Japanese versions amazing.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Well hmmm this is probably for the better.
I mean it was one of the Dragonball Z shows that aired around 3:30 weekdays on Cartoon Network that attracted kids, hopefully this does its job as well.

Seeing how Sentai Filmworks/Section 23 is "starting" to dub some of their titles, this hopefully could be some kind of recovery for the anime industry. A long road to recovery I might add, but I don't care how many shows (that are aimed for younger audiences) it takes for kids to get back in anime, but hey if it works it works.
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Although I'm happy that "Dragon Ball Z" is coming back to U.S. T.V., I personally think CW4Kids could have considered showing the censored cut Cartoon Network and YTV showed of "Dragon Ball Z" before instead of having to make an censor edit of the 2009 "Dragon Ball Kai" cut. I mean, "Dragon ball Kai" is merely "Dragon Ball Z" shortened down and remastered.

Hopefully, bringing "Dragon Ball Kai" on CW (a mianstream network) will help accomplish what "Dragonball: Evolution" failed to do: help "Dragon Ball" get into U.S. mainstream
maribeasteva2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Looks like 4Kids is trying to get back in shape after their drop in sales/ loss of huge amounts of money.

Hopefully this will help them survive from being bankrupt Exclamation
darksharingan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:

Hopefully, bringing "Dragon Ball Kai" on CW (a mianstream network) will help accomplish what "Dragonball: Evolution" failed to do: help "Dragon Ball" get into U.S. mainstream

I really don't think that was the objective of DBE, but if it was it just shows what idiots these guys in Hollywood who wrote it and cast the actors are.

Fact of the matter is this, anime is popular in its own right, it needs not other mediums to push it into mainstream because it doesn't blend in well outside animation, games and comics. And the one show they had the perfect chance to break the barrier with was Transformers but unfortunately they screwed it up big time. They had to get that idiot Michael Bay to do it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
DBZ Kai is already an edited version of DBZ (let's not mince words here - it is edited), so obviously the DB franchise is not that sacrosanct.

Maybe CW4Kids should put "steam clouds" over the naughty parts like Japanese TV networks. do, haha. Laughing

Tomibiki wrote:
....Man and this is supposed to deter piracy?

No, free TV isn't supposed to deter piracy (because they're both "free" - so it's a wash). Collectible home videos do.

darksharingan wrote:

Fact of the matter is this, anime is popular in its own right, it needs not other mediums to push it into mainstream because it doesn't blend in well outside animation, games and comics. And the one show they had the perfect chance to break the barrier with was Transformers but unfortunately they screwed it up big time. They had to get that idiot Michael Bay to do it.

Transformers is not anime, and they successfully got it into the mainstream. More Joe Public know about it than, say, Speed Racer, which is a pretty faithful adaptation of its namesake (not to be confused with Mach Go Go).

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
At least it won't be butchered to hell like when it was originally on TV, but I do have to admit that I was expecting a CN debut. Ah well. The Blu-Rays will be uncut so I'm good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5