• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN to Stream 1,000+ Anime Episodes Throughout Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
se7en- wrote:
that is just. sad.. for international viewers like us that is...

Proxies are very useful tools for situations like this. I seriously doubt there will be any objections given a viewing helps build ad revenues and reduces the use of fan sub sites.

While it's a shame these region restrictions are causing hell for the industry, this shouldn't be the burden of those who want to legally contribute to anime.

Google will be your friend here.

Proxies, for those curious, are not illegal to use. They simply mask your IP address so that ANN's servers don't know you're coming from Denmark as opposed to California.

I am offering this advice with a caveat: I do not know how the staff of ANN feels about proxies. We'll know if this post is deleted.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
ANN is practically Hulu but solely for anime. I might check it out but I prefer watching my anime non-streaming.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but think my $20 made all this possible Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Since there's no mention of it, I suppose the player is Windows only?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Is Pretty Cure going to have the same subtitles Toei keeps using for its US streams? Because they leave something to be desired.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Since there's no mention of it, I suppose the player is Windows only?

Nope. Quoting from the page source, the message displayed if the browser does not support the player:
Quote:
ANN Video Player requires Flash Player 9.0.115.0 or higher.

So as long as you have Flash player 9.1+, you're copacetic. Windows, Mac, Linux, Android 2.2 ... as long as the browser or system supports Flash video streaming.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
So as long as you have Flash player 9.1+, you're copacetic. Windows, Mac, Linux, Android 2.2 ... as long as the browser or system supports Flash video streaming.

Which means no iphone or ipad but whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
st_owly wrote:
First question: Will things be region locked?

Sadly, most of them will be. We're usually only given North American rights (and in the case of Remi, only US rights). Often times our rights come from North American companies like Funimation, so they don't even have International rights to give us.

We always try to get rights for as many markets as possible, but it's hard.

The economy of the Internet is such that, with a few exceptions, regular global streaming is still several years off.

-t

It's sad indeed, Tempest. I have a friend from Italy who grew up watching anime, she and I would talk about anime almost on the daily basis. Italy is one of the 2 European countries (the other is France) that's been exposed to anime for a long time (these 2 countries have been exposed to anime since late 1960's). I'm glad to see anime is mainstream in those 2 countries. But here's the sad part. Italy is not picking up anime that we would have. For example:

-Shakugan No Shana (Italy has a fansite for this anime, the only exposure to this anime is fansubs)
-Kaze No Stigma
-Darker then Black (the manga has been picked up for the Italian market)
-Fate/Stay Night (one of the game Fate/Unlimited code came out in Europe (including Italy), but they never license the anime. They could have help promoted the game if they did that.)
-Air
-Kanon
-Clannad
-Air Gear (This anime is well known in several European countries like UK, France, Germany, and Spain. Italy never pick up this anime)
-mecha anime like: Gundam 00, and STRAIN: Strategic armored infantry. Italy is the biggest importer of mecha anime.

For a country that love anime, they're not exactly picking those anime up. What's up with that?
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see ANN running the stuff that Funimation streams. Funimation uses Hulu and Hulu doesn't allow anything outside the US even if it is legal. I have to wait until it shows up on their YouTube channel, and that can be weeks behind the streaming.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
tempest wrote:
st_owly wrote:

Sadly, most of them will be. We're usually only given North American rights (and in the case of Remi, only US rights). Often times our rights come from North American companies like Funimation, so they don't even have International rights to give us.

The economy of the Internet is such that, with a few exceptions, regular global streaming is still several years off.

-t

It's sad indeed, Tempest. I have a friend from Italy who grew up watching anime, she and I would talk about anime almost on the daily basis. Italy is one of the 2 European countries (the other is France) that's been exposed to anime for a long time (these 2 countries have been exposed to anime since late 1960's). I'm glad to see anime is mainstream in those 2 countries. But here's the sad part. Italy is not picking up anime that we would have. For example:

-Shakugan No Shana (Italy has a fansite for this anime, the only exposure to this anime is fansubs)
-Kaze No Stigma
-Fate/Stay Night (one of the game Fate/Unlimited code came out in Europe (including Italy), but they never license the anime. They could have help promoted the game if they did that.)
-Air
-Kanon
-Clannad
-Air Gear (This anime is well known in several European countries like UK, France, Germany, and Spain. Italy never pick up this anime)
-mecha anime like: Gundam 00, and STRAIN: Strategic armored infantry. Italy is the biggest importer of mecha anime.

For a country that love anime, they're not exactly picking those anime up. What's up with that?
Damn--really? Had no idea about that.

You hear people whining about how bad the shape of the industry is over here, but we should count our blessings--at least we still get plenty of releases over here. IMO, at least.

In other news: Blassreiter's pretty good. Surprised

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
agila61 wrote:

Which means no iphone or ipad but whatever.

iphone+ipad is probably the biggest single mobile market, but not the biggest general browsing market - flash first. CR has iphone and ipad apps, so maybe ANN can work out a deal to license CR's work to get a headstart on ANN iTouch and iPad apps.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Nobody's Boy Remi seems to interest me. Maybe I'll watch it once it comes out in 2 days. I like stories like these.

And I ask this: I wonder if ANN will stream some World Masterpiece Theater titles!?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
And I ask this: I wonder if ANN will stream some World Masterpiece Theater titles!?

There's no built-in audience for WMT, so those'll be hard. (Most fansubbers even abandon them, since their download numbers seldom even achieve triple digits and they quickly grow disillusioned.) I'm not entirely against the idea, but we'd have to figure out some way to get people interested in a significant way. Easier said than done.

Suffice it to say, it's something we can think about a lot more seriously if Remi does well. Smile

agila61 wrote:
iphone+ipad is probably the biggest single mobile market, but not the biggest general browsing market - flash first. CR has iphone and ipad apps, so maybe ANN can work out a deal to license CR's work to get a headstart on ANN iTouch and iPad apps.

iPhone/iPad streaming is on our radar. There's a lot of technical back-end that I haven't figured out to my satisfaction yet. And the first rule of tech is that you don't invest time and money into technologies you don't understand, especially when other people are trusting you with their content.

writerpatrick wrote:
I'd like to see ANN running the stuff that Funimation streams. Funimation uses Hulu and Hulu doesn't allow anything outside the US even if it is legal. I have to wait until it shows up on their YouTube channel, and that can be weeks behind the streaming.

We have a huge backlog of shows from Funi that we'll be posting over the next few months. Once we're caught up Funi will hopefully send us more. Be sure to let them know that we're your preferred way of watching streams! Smile

Jrittmayer wrote:
ANN is practically Hulu but solely for anime. I might check it out but I prefer watching my anime non-streaming.

Our encoding is specially tweaked for anime, so I think our quality looks way better. Smile I hope you'll give us a shot.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
tempest wrote:
st_owly wrote:

-t

-Kaze No Stigma
-Air
-Kanon
-Clannad

Damn--really? Had no idea about that.

You hear peole whining about how bad the shape of the industry is over here, but we should count our blessings--at least we haven't got it as bad as that.

In other news: Blassreiter's pretty good. Surprised

I don't know if the industry in Italy is bad or whatever. I know the recent one was Gurren Lagann and Code Geass (which is no suprise because Italy are biggest importer of mecha anime) I know Italy has been exposed to anime for a very long time much longer then USA. They had more anime then we did back in the past like this anime (which is famous in Italy, and never been seen in USA). But now Italy is not picking up anime that we have. I did notice Italy doesn't have a PSN video store yet (I think their Xbox Live video marketplace is either active or not, I'm not sure. I don't know about Itunes in Italy). I don't know if they have something equivalent to Hulu or ANN. There suppose to be a Animax channel, but it keep delaying for Italy. Anime companies in Italy like Dynit, and Yamato Video don't have video portal similar to Funi's and Viz's video portal. That could be the problem. No video streaming site, No Animax, means no anime license for Italy. Sony really needs to bring the video store, and Animax to Italy so the Italian anime market can start picking up anime for their mainstream audience, and hardcore fan. The manga market however is still strong over there, that's good, but no recent license of obscure anime equals bad and fans want to see those. Anime in Italy do face censorship when trying to broadcast on cable TV. That's why Italy should look into video streaming and bring in Animax for that country, and Sony should bring the video store to them. If they have Itunes and Xbox Live video marketplace, why are they not taking advantage of those.

FireChick wrote:

I like to see those also. I would love to watch those anime from Nippon Animation. Did you know Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata before they work at Studio Ghibli used to work at Nippon Animation and they work on a lot of World Masterpiece theater anime.
krelyan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Any chance with the other ImaginAsian titles like Cats Eye, and The Super Dimension Century Orguss?

I second this. I missed the boat on the ImaginAsian DVDs for these titles and have always regretted it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7