• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Aggregator to Close as OpenManga Plans Launch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic_Vegetto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
BMO wrote:
OpenManga NEEDS a big series otherwise it will flounder like Manganovel did. The reason Crunchyroll is doing well with their new business model is because they landed Naruto.

The fact that the companies VIZ/Shueisha (and possibly other publishers) laughed in their faces makes me worried for the future of such a promising platform. Their announcement is difficult to decypher but it sounds like all OpenManga will provide are the works of up and coming no-name amateur / indy mangakas.

Sounds like a gamble to me, will be interesting to see if it works or not.

I have to agree. They would need a Big Series to really get their website running otherwise it won't succeed. Heck, you wouldn't even need a bunch of series. Just get 1 Big Manga out there and have the rest of the site with small time manga and it could actually work. But even after it does officially open, we would have to wait some time to see if it'll really succeed.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
ANd this advances my legality reading Seto No Hanayome how, exactly?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
And so the first one falls. I wonder who's next. MT? OM?
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
This sounds soooooo shady. Especially considering how Japanese publishers tend to be with their stuff, I doubt they're going to get any well known mangaka on this site. If anything, they're gonna have amateur mangaka or ones that are otherwise not that well established, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't know if that will make for a successful site. But who knows. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this, but for now it just seems like something's a bit off.

First thing is, hosting manga is so much cheaper than hosting anime that if they were able to build a flash manga viewer with a few streaming ads, they could get more revenue with far fewer hits than the big manga sites.

Second thing is, if they crowdsource translations from existing scanlaters jumping the fence to the legal side, their upfront overheads are extremely small - if the royalties are per view, its a business model that may be able to survive quite comfortably on much fewer views than a site that paid for translation.

Third thing ... this is the internet. If they get a collection of niche "hobbyist translated" manga, and the name publishers are working on their own version, then a legal aggregator site would not need to host the material themselves, but could just aggregate.

Indeed, if CR worked out a deal with Viz to get a tentpole manga, and if OneManga had an embeddable player with its monetization built in, CR could well do the aggregation to mutual benefit all around.
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I could never really like MH. I first thought Good Riddance.

I actually think in a way, not landing a big-name mangaka can be a good thing. We all know manga, and anime especially, has been in a kind of stale-mate and we haven't had the next big thing in a while. To be safe, japan's just been releasing what they know sells, even if it's crap. Right now, when the big name titles start wrapping up there's nothing to take its place. We also know things can't stay the way they are, and publishers are struggling to make what they can.

Really, we just need a clean sweep through everything we know and just start again with a blank slate. Scanlators first came about because there are a lot of hidden gems that will never see an english audience. OpenManga, if they do it right (and I'm not convinced if they can or not), is a great way to give those gems a chance. The only difference is there's no one reading the Japanese raws going "This is great! More people should read this!" and we'll just have to find out the hard way. We're all starving for new, daring content anyway. They don't need a big-name mangaka for it to work, they just need one of those 70 artists to come up with the next big thing.

But I guess that's what everyone's been needing, really...
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
ANd this advances my legality reading Seto No Hanayome how, exactly?

Not much immediately. If they do well enough to convince Square Enix to come on board, bob's your uncle, but it normally takes a year or two for an innovative venture like this to prove themselves. Whether they are on the leading edge or the bleeding edge can only be found out by trying it.
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
"The wheel of fate is turning"
"Rebel 2"
"Action!"

I doubt I won't like any of the things the website will releases. This can also be an opportunity to revive long forgot mangas that we need a better release of.

Also this can backfire with the nature of manga itself. 1 chapter a month, that's crazy!, but I will wait, will you?
kurosabato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
1 is gone, 29 to go !!
silver_deeds wrote:
They don't need a big-name mangaka for it to work, they just need one of those 70 artists to come up with the next big thing.

I like the idea, but if the next big hit came from them, I think the artist is gonna run to sign a contract with a big publisher (and I dont blame him)
tenebrusmke79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
ZeroDemio wrote:
Also this can backfire with the nature of manga itself. 1 chapter a month, that's crazy!, but I will wait, will you?
Where in the article on either site does it say that a release will only be once a month? There were no statement as to what a timeframe for a release would be on either this site or the page referring to the Open Manga article on the MangaHelpers site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
These don't have to be independent mangaka. From what I understand, most mangaka retain ownership rights, and only grant print rights to publishers. If they haven't given their e-print rights away, then they may grant them to whomever they wish.

I would expect that those are a standard part of contracts for modern series, but for slightly older series when those weren't even considered, which might be less than a decade old, the mangaka would be able to do as they wish.

This is what has happened in the e-book world for those authors with older novels. Many just want their stuff read and sign up with smaller e-houses to get it out there.
kurosabato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
These don't have to be independent mangaka. From what I understand, most mangaka retain ownership rights, and only grant print rights to publishers.

I Think is not 100% true, at least, when the titles are to be sold to another country, the sale is made by the publisher, and not the author, and is becouse the publisher not only owns the print rights, but the "distribution" rights and how is distributed.
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
kurosabato wrote:
1 is gone, 29 to go !!
silver_deeds wrote:
They don't need a big-name mangaka for it to work, they just need one of those 70 artists to come up with the next big thing.

I like the idea, but if the next big hit came from them, I think the artist is gonna run to sign a contract with a big publisher (and I don't blame him)

Yeah, that's why I'm not really convinced this will work. I see OM as a solution to all of us who just want our manga fix. But right now it's not big enough to function by itself. If the rest of the Manga Industry doesn't catch up soon, with all the manga we love that's already been released, to help bridge a connection, this idea will fail.

Edit:
sunflower wrote:
These don't have to be independent mangaka. From what I understand, most mangaka retain ownership rights, and only grant print rights to publishers. If they haven't given their e-print rights away, then they may grant them to whomever they wish.

Sure, they still have their rights to what they've drawn, but it depends on their contracts. Things change once your story actually gets published. If you've already got a decent working relationship with somebody would you really leave them for a beta-community online that might or might not score?

Last edited by silver_deeds on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuskus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
People have always talked about a manga version of Crunchyroll to stop scans. Let's hope it works.
kurosabato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Tuskus wrote:
People have always talked about a manga version of Crunchyroll to stop scans. Let's hope it works.

The problem is this:
Quote:
In the wake of that document being spread, representatives from MangaHelpers were able to set up and meet with executives from some of the largest publishing houses in the industry. We were allowed the opportunity to present the idea that publishers and fans, artists and their consumers could work together in what would be a 2.5 hour meeting. Ultimately, there were too many walls and too many preconceptions to overcome for that plan to work. In the end we were, jokingly, told that if we wanted something like this to exist, we would have to publish our own magazines and series and go from there.

They have to start from zero, with zero publisher support, and if the ideia work, they problably goin in.
Safetygirl0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
This is the same group that got attention last year for trying to contact Viz to "work together".

There was a leaked presentation as well, I won't link to it here since the only links I can find are on scanslator blogs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8