• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seljuk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Loving HSotD, and will be till it's over. Big fan of the manga, have been waiting so long for this.

I really really did not like Ookamisan. Rehashed. If you're going to be cliche, you need to rely on execution. I was bored most of the episode. Aside from the cinderella scene, this show was a waste of my time. Still giving it three episodes, but I'm surprised it got the reception it did here (well, from Theron mainly, as I hold his taste in rather high regard). Gia's review holds much truer to my opinion.

Also really enjoyed Amagami. Despite the horrible story setup, all of the girls are nice and refreshing, with mostly God-tier VAs. Can't get into the underclassmen's VA, but oh well.
Also really liked the 'help the shy girl out, get the flag on the senpai's route' decision. It's like I'm really playing a game where you go for one character and get someone else's route!
A perfect relaxing summer show if you ask me. Can't wait for sex hair's route.

Last edited by Seljuk on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Occult Academy this afternoon and got a real kick out of it. I'd agree with Zac's review of it wholeheartedly, though I'd maybe give it a 4 or a 4.5. I don't think it will be enough for me to renew my CR subscription, though. Maybe if they get a bunch of other awesome shows, but so far this season looks to be both weaker than last season, and Viz and Funi are getting their paws into this streaming thing too.

High School of the Dead... I was unsure of, Zac's review seemed pretty descriptive, and I don't think it will interest me. I too am a little burned out on zombies.

Keep 'em coming, guys, I love your preview guides!
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Will the anime industry ever get past perverted fanservice? Looks like I'll be avoiding most of these shows, but Occult Academy still seems interesting.

See the thing here is, this stuff was never not there, it just wasn't popular 5 or 10 years ago, then all of a sudden, EVERYTHING has to have ecchi, like moe, these things weren't even really genre's, they were just used as character traits or for comedic relief, now all of a sudden you can't seem to get away from it, and while its all dandy and good in some cases, its become way over-saturated, you end up saying more often then not now a days "Oh look its this anime again,woo panty shots and jigglies"

I'm watching HSotD for Zombies, Hopefully they don't do to this what they did with Needless
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I'm going to say that I like the Nura manga but the first episode of the anime was somewhere between awkward and awful. It skipped around over half a dozen chapters, didn't explain anyone well, and had too much exposition to explain too little.

(This is from someone who has not read the manga)

Well, considering this adaptation is going to be only 24 episodes of an ongoing JUMP manga, one probably should have expected that this will either be completely different from the original or at least have Gecko plots and ending.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
High School of the Dead
1) Sure, there's a metric boob-load of jiggling T&A – some of it borderline gross since the high school chicks getting ripped apart by the undead are frequently in suggestive poses as they're being eaten alive,

2)there is not a single story beat or character or even a scene in here you haven't seen in every other zombie-related thing ever.

These two things really bothered me about that show. I guess this just further proves that zombie stuff that takes itself seriously does not -and can not- get along with me. I was hoping that this one would just be ridiculous for the sake of being ridiculous, but nope, I really felt that I was supposed to take this seriously.
And on zombies: I don't get it. They're the most boring and mindless thing you can put in any horror tale. If you're going to have hot chicks with weapons kicking ass, at least give them something interesting to fight.

Case in point: Occult Academy. Maya's hot and stoic, reminds me of Natsuki Kuga from Mai Hime, and they give her a nasty demon-spirit body-possessing thing for her to fight. Now that is interesting. I actually got a big glee when spoiler[Maya wielded the fire-axe and took the head off of her dad's possessed body.] I'm glad to see this one getting the best scores so far, since it is thus far, the best one.

Eh, I don't feel like talking about the rest of the shows I've watched thus far right now, I'll do it later.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I agree about Nura. I was so bored. The beginning was good I was more interested in this Yokai form or whatever than this boring kid. If I had those powers, I would use them! I'll stick around since I heard people say this is good but the animation and lack of explaination of anything does not leave me hopeful.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
eaglesdome810 wrote:
While watching "Highschool of the dead" I kept thinking to myself. "Why is the ecchi even needed for such a show?" But again I don't read manga so my fault.

That's like eating a strawberry cheesecake and thinking "Why is the strawberry even needed for such a dessert? The cheesecake already tastes good just by itself..."
Rakkan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
That's like eating a strawberry cheesecake and thinking "Why is the strawberry even needed for such a dessert? The cheesecake already tastes good just by itself..."
Except he's complaining about the cheesecake. *rimshot*
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's zombies, it's people getting chewed to death, it's bloody action, and it's plenty of undergarment-flashing and breast-jiggling, all wrapped into one fast-paced package laden with energy and atmosphere. And it kicks as much butt as you were possibly hoping for and maybe more. Sure, it has some minor flaws; it is predictable, and the bit with the BFFs was heavy-handed, but the overall execution is too good to deny and the technical merits are fairly sharp, too.

And there you go. That's 'all' that ever needs to be said about this show.

Thanks for realizing this Key, a lot more of the internet could do themselves a favor by doing the same. The show's a harmless adult fun fest and that's all it needs to be.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first episode of HOTD and really liked it, and cant wait for next week. I also hope some one brings the manga states side. It's already being translated into Spanish and Portuguese (I think).

As for the jiggly boobs and panty shots, I like fanservice and thought it was funny. But that's not the only reason I like it. The blood and violence is fun too. Very Happy

edit: Forgot to mention, I'll probably watch Occult Academy when that's available for free. It sounds good.

Last edited by PBsallad on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad you ANN guys have decided to do this! There is so much good content on this site! I am a happy camper.

Unfortunately, most of the shows reviewed so far are aimed at penises, and I don't have one. Laughing

I have Gungrave in my collection, and I've read "World War Z", so I don't need fanservice with my zombies. I'll just re-watch that episode in Samurai Champloo with the wasabi munching zombies. I like wasabi.

Hope, Zac and vashfanatic have all endorsed Occult Academy, so I will definitely watch that. Looking forward to seeing more of Hope in these guides, since her tastes seem more in line with mine of all the reviewers here. Zac is the Anthony Bourdain of anime critics, which IMO, is a very good thing. Anticipating all the reviews to come.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
I think "Ookami-san" is gonna be one of the love it-hate it series. If you liked Hayate S1 you're probably gonna like Ookami. (Imo, she's much closer to Hinagiku than Shana or Taiga). It's a parody and as with all parodies some will get it and some won't. Gia's review of it as simply a high school comedy is in the "doesn't get it camp" (or at least her review is) while Carl's: "Basically it's an excuse to bash traditional fairy tales against anime staples..." is on the "does get it" side.

<shrug> That's the way it is with parodies. As a wise old improviser told me one night during a benefit performance for The Women's Anti-humor League, "[insert verb] 'em if they can't get the joke." (I believe that, too, is a parody)
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
As for Zac's single criticism of Occult Academy, while that opening sequence is frustratingly unconnected to the story (Is it "present day" or "1999"? Is it related to the school?) there is one slight connection. The naked guy at the end seems to be the "Number 6" they showed a picture of at the beginning- as the only one of whatever they're talking about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
OK, dang it, I gave in and watched the first episode of Highschool of the dead and all I can say is it's standard zombie fodder with a bit of an anime fanservice twist...but to be fair it's kind of hard to say there is fanservice because there really isn't any such thing as fanservice in zombie flicks. I mean your newer zombie movies like 28 days later and the like mostly if not only rely on horror, but your classics like zombie, New York Ripper, Door into Darkness were essentially exploitation films where anything goes.

Sorry, not trying to start a discussion on the new school vs. old school in terms of what is expected from the zombie genre, just saying I don't see anything unique yet(as of the first episode) and to anyone who thinks this is over the top as far as sex(sexual in nature) and violence I would suggest they watch a Lucio Fulci film.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Will the anime industry ever get past perverted fanservice? Looks like I'll be avoiding most of these shows, but Occult Academy still seems interesting.

One can seriously hope. I just wish there more "normal" shows that if there was fanservice, it would be tonned down or at least made into a joke (Hare and Guu did this in the first season.)

Also, despite the fact I won't continue to watch Mistdomoe (or whatever it's called.) If Zac reviews it, I am 99% sure that it will be worth reading and downright hilarious. Hope that happens, because Zac has a way of writing that for lack of better words, is pretty awesome.

However, with all due respect and no intentional rudeness, Shin Chan is almost nothing like Mistdomoe. Yes, both have rude humor and to some degree some moe, but ultimately they are different. To be fair though, the characters do look like the same age as Shin and his friends though.

The most obvious difference is their ages. Shin is five and is in Kindergarten. The characters in Mistdomoe are in the sixth grade and are clearly older. Though like I said before, the characters from Mist look like they could easily be Shin's age.

Secondly, as bad as Shin and some of their friends can get, they aren't that annoying to the point of acting really rude. I am sure kicking a teacher (in Mistdomoe) is going slightly over board and that is in the first episode.

Next, somewhat creepy in a sense humor. Naming a hamster a questionable name is one thing, but a barrage of perverted humor can only go so far before it becomes creepy. Especially since it's kids saying it. To me, that sounds out of place when it's done constantly. Obvious, Shin Chan does have some not-so-polite-humor, but it's not constantly and from the episodes I've seen (52 so far) the jokes aren't that extreme or taking it too far.

Needless to say, I daresay both series are quite different. Yes, both series may have humor, but at least Shin face isn't always read (I think the only time it was red was when he was a monkey.)

None the less, this season seems rather lackluster. I do look forward to when Toriko and The World only Kami sam knows comes out. Especially Toriko, food and fighting go well if done right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 24