• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shiki (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reiko_rage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:08 am Reply with quote
I have never really given a real chance to any animes of this particular genre ... Shiki will be the first, and I'm excited to see how this will turn out.

If anyone exemplified characteristics of a brat or asshole in Ep. 1, I believe it's Yuuki. spoiler[I mean completely ignoring Megumi at the bus stop, not even chatting just to be polite? And then not caring when she dies?? ]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
BMJ wrote:
Quote:
Also, let me get this straight. They call a village-wide search because their daughter isn't home after nine o'clock? Eh.

I'd assume that has less to do with her not being home at 9, and more to do with her last being seen walking up a mountain alone. Who knows, maybe the villagers know more than they're letting on about that house.

I'd assume that it was more that in a town that small no one had seen her for a few hours.
reiko_rage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
^ Also, such a small village at 9pm is probably scary as is, with less night action on the streets and most people going to bed early. So a climate like that, I think, is enough to justify her parents' worry.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

My thoughts: I really enjoyed it. It feels like I'm reading a horror novel; these first episodes are the opening chapters, setting up the anomaly. I'm getting an uneasy feeling, like a seeing a storm on the horizon. Really great atmosphere. I definitely felt creeped out by spoiler[whatever was watching Natsuno outside his window with that rustling/chanting sound effect,] even though he's kinda of a jerk. (Although, I would be wary of a spoiler[memento from the person who stalked me outside my window.])
Wow, Megumi had a really good friend in Miss Star-Pigtails. Shame she didn't see it that way.
I'm glad to see the spoiler[doctor put the dots together regarding the string of deaths, but if someone walked into your clinic with the same set of symptoms of another person who died recently, wouldn't you be more concerned?]

In other news: nope, still not used to the character designs yet.

sacchan wrote:
One of the contributory essays included at the end of the Shiki novel mentions that Ono wrote the story as an homage to Stephen King's Salem's Lot, but the two stories fundamentally differ in mindset, which probably reflect the differences between the two cultures.

Interesting. I can see the connection with the huge cast of characters and the spoiler[vampires]. Now I really want to see where it's going.

Last edited by Player No. 3 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Breaking News!

spoiler[People all over the village are dying from an unknown cause. They all have the same symptoms and the doctors suspect an epidemic. I wonder what is killing everyone.] Oh wait...
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
Breaking News!

spoiler[People all over the village are dying from an unknown cause. They all have the same symptoms and the doctors suspect an epidemic. I wonder what is killing everyone.] Oh wait...

I enjoyed the second episode but this is what I worry about. I am enjoying how they set up the situation and the atmosphere generation but if it turns out to just be a simple spoiler['vampires did it' ]premise then I will be deeply disappointed. Knowing that singular fact ruins the whole mystery. Regardless though, I am looking forward to how the situation unravels even if the outcome is predictable (sort of) and I really like the character designs especially the eye details.
hockey stick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Second episode was definitely creepier than the first one, or maybe it's because I was watching late at night. Many of the scenes, though stylish they may have been, were proper horror in my opinion. I actually like the character designs as well, especially when they make them creepy, spoiler[with the dry lips and close to dead eyes (and not just the eye color).]
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
hockey stick wrote:
Second episode was definitely creepier than the first one, or maybe it's because I was watching late at night. Many of the scenes, though stylish they may have been, were proper horror in my opinion. I actually like the character designs as well, especially when they make them creepy, spoiler[with the dry lips and close to dead eyes (and not just the eye color).]

i agree. although i was disappointed in spoiler[her dying in the first episode] it set up the events of the second spectacularly, imo. Definitely struck my chords this time around.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
So far it's meh. Now, I am not a fan of the horror genre (in fact, I pretty much dismiss most of it), and to my eye this lacks excitement. I don't like the character designs and the fact that everyone has the expression of Serious Cat... Still, giving this a chance to prove itself later, I'm just curious as to the cause of the "illness".
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Enjoying it so far. I actually like the build up. I like the analogy that Player No. 3 made with the horror novel; it feels exactly like that. Not crazy about the character designs though, the eyes bother me and look weird and candy colored. Also the hair styles are strange, both on the characters we've seen, and in in the OP. But so far, really good. I just hope it holds up, since there's really not that much I'm watching this summer.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Player No. 3 wrote:
I'm glad to see the spoiler[doctor put the dots together regarding the string of deaths, but if someone walked into your clinic with the same set of symptoms of another person who died recently, wouldn't you be more concerned?]

spoiler[Maybe if the symptoms were something that might not also be explained by a lack of sleep or a completely non-fatal and common condition, yes, but even so, what is he supposed to do? Put the patient under constant surveillance and hope some clue pops up before she dies for no apparent reason? Without enough information to act, it's also his responsibility to prevent people from panicking, which could be just as deadly, if not more so, than the actual "epidemic".]
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Enjoying the character design (all of it), creepy art, story, plot, and character development thus far.

Besides the many points already discussed...

Anyone else wondering about the same events from 20 years ago? spoiler[Judging by the looks that castle must have been there for far longer than that, and what I'm currently suspecting is that that family visits the village once every several years, so that wouldn't be their first time there.]
Another uncertainty I'm curious about is if there's any supernatural power involved; besides thespoiler[ vampires] themselves, of course. Oh, not knowing the source material can be pretty handy sometimes. Razz
swienke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Anyone else wondering about the same events from 20 years ago? spoiler[ Judging by the looks that castle must have been there for far longer than that, and what I'm currently suspecting is that that family visits the village once every several years, so that wouldn't be their first time there.]

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought they mentioned a couple of times that the castle had been built just recently. Now, it's certainly possible that spoiler[ the castle was built on top of an older place that may be connected to what happened 20 years ago, but at this point we really don't know enough to be able to say. But I'm going to guess that your belief that the current vampires are at least tangentially connected to what happened 20 years ago is spot-on. ]
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I was bored... just don't ask me. Tsun tsun...

Some of it may be inaccurate. But some dates don't match up, and that could be the mystery of the show. Who knows. It's all taken from episode 1 and 2, so nothing about source material etc. Dere dere.

spoiler[Megumi was found collapsed on August 12. The 3 elders' corpses were found on August 6 (although the day 1 of them died doesn't match with the other 2), and the family of vampires arrived on August 9. Villagers discussed about their arrival on August 11. August 13, wife contacts a villager (Ootsuka). August 15, Megumi dies. Episode 2 starts on August 16. August 18, Ootsuka dies.
[Only deaths reported to Ozaki.]

Continuing on episode 2, it's mentioned that 7 died within the past 2 weeks (including the first 3 from ep. 1), although a few minutes earlier it was written onscreen that it was August 22. In this case, 2 weeks doesn't mean 14 days exactly, since said elders died in the beginning of the month (and 3 weeks would be more accurate).

The reason why the guy kept pressing his horn is unknown to me. I'm currently guessing it's either because of a clumsy personality, or his master's order/intent.
The date the castle was built is currently unknown, but there certainly was an old house at the same location.

Vampires? How could the doctor know. Megumi had no visible external wounds, according to him.

During episode 2: that's not a chant, that's the BGM.

The X on the boy's T-shirt... Samurai X?]
Miranox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
In episode 3 they pretty much confirmed that the entire western-house family is made of spoiler[vampires. They even give vague hints about who they're planning to "visit" next. This kind of kills the mystery even more. It will be very disappointing if this ends with a cliché confrontation between the villagers and vampires.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 41