• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love, Not War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that the reason the Oasis opening is only on the first ep of Eden of the East is because Funi would have to pay additionally for every use of the song. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it makes as much sense as anything.

As for me, I'm very glad it was included. My copy of Eden of the East just shipped today, and while no opening probably wouldn't have meant no sale considering how much I love the show, I doubt I would've pre-ordered in support if they hadn't included it at all.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Randomly decided to look up the EotE OP one day and fell in love with it so I was happy to see that it was going to be on at least the first episode. I then watched the episodes Funi put up and my god, I really don't like the replacement song. Totally doesn't fit the mood or match the images as well, really makes me wish I could buy the original OP on itunes (I mean, I found other Oasis songs on itunes, why not this one?).
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your comments re; Hetalia. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with it. Honestly, I do understand why some people would be offended, but a lot of those people take it too far. If it bothers you, don't watch or read it and be on your way. That's fine. Just stop attempting to hold moral high ground against fans of it. It's just a cartoon.

Also your analysis of the dub's accents is spot on. A lot of fans seem to misunderstand their purpose. These accents weren't meant to be good accents. They were meant to be inaccurate and bad. But then there are people who are into the series because they they find the characters hot, so of course they won't like their ~kawaii bishies~ speaking in obnoxious mock accents. Personally, it was the biggest hope of mine when the license was announced for the dub to have intentionally terrible accents.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
First eps of most anime usually leave a lot to be desired because they usually are trying to hook the viewer into watching the series. At least with Hetalia it's just 5 minutes so one can easily justify watching 5 eps which equal that same 25 minutes one would surrender to any other title before judging it.
Unless Funi cheated, the sub jokes are pretty close over-all to the dub jokes. The dub jokes actually seem to not be as offensive as the Japanese a couple times & seem dumbed down a bit-relying less on actual history. There is a segment on the extras disk where Funi includes the notes explaining the events touched on in the various eps, conveniently listing the ep the note refers to. The director comments are interesting because he pretty much goes ep-by-ep explaining what he was going for. It was very interesting they did the previews for America's Storage whatever (closet?) in English as though they were a preview for an American movie, but the actual dialogue in the episode was in Japanese.
I would really have preferred that Japanese extra rather than the bandana, Funi! I would love to have the closing theme done by the various Japanese actors.
Daisuke Namikawa is adorable as Italy.
The show works for me because it's not mean-spirited. The jokes are more between friends than nasty slurs hurled at someone one is trying to hurt. It's sort of the dif gals can call a friend a bitch in a teasing sort of way but not really mean it while when someone else uses the word it's very much an insult. Germany may resent Italy's propensity to make white flags, but he runs over to save him after receiving a strange phone call in the middle of the night when Italy's sleeping over with Romano.
I say Funi should have gone for a quieter dub & shopped this one to the History Channel. They could use some lightg-hearted filler in the middle of their WWII documentaries.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
If for some reason Oasis only wanted them to use it on the first episode (which seems weird)

Actually, I doubt that whomever negotiated on behalf of Oasis only wanted the song used once. How music licenses tend to work is that producers are charged "per use." So clearly, it is cheaper just to pay for one use as opposed to 11 (the number of episodes). My assumption is Funi didn't think it was worth ponying up the extra cash to be able to use the song in every eppie.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or is the price point on Hetalia kind of archaic? I don't see anyone else complaining about, but I dunno $35 retail, $21 at the cheapest for 130 minutes? Seems a little off.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
If for some reason Oasis only wanted them to use it on the first episode (which seems weird)

Actually, I doubt that whomever negotiated on behalf of Oasis only wanted the song used once. How music licenses tend to work is that producers are charged "per use." So clearly, it is cheaper just to pay for one use as opposed to 11 (the number of episodes). My assumption is Funi didn't think it was worth ponying up the extra cash to be able to use the song in every eppie.

I see, that shows you how little I know about how licensing music works; I figured it was just a bulk fee for using in the series period. Though I suppose if this got a TV run (hey, it could happen! maybe! probably not!) then yes, they'd definitely want a per-episode fee. Makes sense, thank you! Smile
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Is it just me, or is the price point on Hetalia kind of archaic? I don't see anyone else complaining about, but I dunno $35 retail, $21 at the cheapest for 130 minutes? Seems a little off.

It's a Season. Season are usually around $30 on sale.
The issue is they're 5 minute eps so it seems like less on the back of the box, but it seemed like it took me forever to manage to watch it since I kept getting interrupted.
Plus the extras are about as long as the show. There are 4 segments of the director talking about the show (starts with the 2nd dvd, but I assume the commentary on the closing title probably took the place of the first commentary). This isn't the usual general talk about the show--he goes thru the script & storyboards & talks about why he presented it in the way that he did so you're not just getting 130 minutes.

And it is so worth it if you are a history buff. The director talks about the various regular skits-the island, the telephone, the conferance, the training, chibitalia-which carry on their little stories. It sounds stupid when described-WWII lite or maybe WWII friends style-but it works because it's NOT just WWII, it's the history between the countries. Chibitalia discussed how Italy was kicked around by its neighbors. We get a humorous view of France's "victories" over the centuries. We get China meets Japan & watches him grow, but Japan treats him coldly. We get underlying hostilities between England & America over their past. We get France begging England to marry him because he's broke from the Suez Canal in the 1950's. We get a snippet of the American Revolution. It's more mostly WWII, but also whatever catches the attention of the author in a historical sense.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I watched Eden of the East on Funimation on YouTube and I always wanted to buy it (on regular DVD of course ^__^). Its just as the Columist says; it keeps me wanting to find out what happens next and the realism of the show makes me curious if the events taking place could actually happen.

But I'm not sure if I should wait for the (inevitable) giant boxset which would include the two seasons AND all of the movies (possibly Dubbed) or if I should buy them piece by piece.

I might buy them separately but does anyone have any recommendations or advice?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I watched Eden of the East on Funimation on YouTube and I always wanted to buy it (on regular DVD of course ^__^). Its just as the Columist says; it keeps me wanting to find out what happens next and the realism of the show makes me curious if the events taking place could actually happen.

But I'm not sure if I should wait for the (inevitable) giant boxset which would include the two seasons AND all of the movies (possibly Dubbed) or if I should buy them piece by piece.

I suppose it really comes down to how long you're willing to wait. I know Right Stuf has the set on sale for $33 for a couple more days.

Personally, I'm wondering it it's worthwhile to go for the Blu-ray. With the current sale, the Blu-ray is only $3 more, so I might just go for it anyway.
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
I've already watched three episodes of Eden of the East and I was left completeetly uninterested. I'd consider that "giving it a shot". I don't think I'll be buying (or watching) the rest of it.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

I suppose it really comes down to how long you're willing to wait. I know Right Stuf has the set on sale for $33 for a couple more days.

Personally, I'm wondering it it's worthwhile to go for the Blu-ray. With the current sale, the Blu-ray is only $3 more, so I might just go for it anyway.

Thank you for the advice!

Sadly I don't have Blu-ray Sad (if I did I might spend the $36 price tag).
But I will wait until the price goes down a little bit more on Right Stuf and wait until the rest comes out! ^^
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Let's ask Early.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why people lost interest in Eden of the East. I love a show with a little mystery in it. Eden of the East was really good, even if I feel like it's not finished with telling it's story at all. I also felt like it came up with an ending as if it was in danger of cancellation.

I would love a season 2, but how do they carry on from what was stated in the ending?

Speaking of endings, I DARE anyone to tell me that Eden's ending animation isn't cool. I don't care what you think of the anime itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BaconMushroomMelt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I don't get why people lost interest in Eden of the East. I love a show with a little mystery in it. Eden of the East was really good, even if I feel like it's not finished with telling it's story at all. I also felt like it came up with an ending as if it was in danger of cancellation.

I would love a season 2, but how do they carry on from what was stated in the ending?

Speaking of endings, I DARE anyone to tell me that Eden's ending animation isn't cool. I don't care what you think of the anime itself.
It actually ended with two movies if you didn't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4