• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Unlicenses Naruto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonSlayer_Relick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"We began to feel uncomfortable with the idea of making piles of cash from the show," a Viz representative told ANN. "After several parent advocacy groups showed us the error of our ways, we felt it was the only logical decision."

That wasn't at all subtle OR convincing. ANN might as well put a giant seizure-inducing sign over this article that reads: "Hey! This is a prank! It's not real at all! Did you fall for it? You fell for it didn't you? Ha ha ha!"

Honestly, I think Pokemopolis had a more convincing prank.

Happy April 1st, minna-san!
DragonSlayer_Relick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by DragonSlayer_Relick on Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I didn't see the talking hamster part till you people pointed it out. I did think it was odd, though, when it said something about moms being against it. They'd know about Naruto? I thought that was odd.

Last edited by .Sy on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
space clam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Sam.: wrote:

Naruto is kinda a touch subject right now. I wonder how many saw this as a hoax? or how many smaller websites linked you a false news source on this. Next time think of the long term consequences, instead of the short term amusement

All the more reason to do the prank. I so desperately wanted to see the mountains of screams and outrages at this happening... I think it would have been funnier to say something like, "Following the success of the Tenjou Tenge editing scenario, we felt that releasing edited Naruto would be in the best interest of all. No plans to release it unedited, ever."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
LightNightmare148

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Lol that was funny. Laughing

Although the one from last year, or two years ago about Dragonball AF being made and it was coming soon to Japan or whatever really REALLY freaked me out, I was so hype being a DB Fan myself. I fell for the whole prank. I even called all my friends that watched DBZ right away. And it turned out it was all a joke lol. I was so pissed, but it's funny now that I think about it. Very Happy
Sam.:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
To Nagisa,

sorry but i'm not an internet/anime nerd like you anymore. I have moved on to more important things in the life. Grow up, anime is not everything and it won't get you anywhere in life. Jeez!!
Anyways, it might have been an obvious joke for you, but not for me. Yeah I know, i'm out of the loop. That's why i visit this site. I guess the regulars caught on to it pretty quick. Anyways, i don't care anymore. i'm already over it. I was just mad about it for a few minutes, but now i think its funny. i don't care. At least i'm not a freaking geek like you with a million posts. BTW Nagisa, do you have a life?

I was just giving you some feedback and my opinion... in my previous post back on page 2. Also, on a side note, to clear stuff-up for 'Mr. strong minded Nagisa'

Nagisa wrote:
By the way, what in the hell does "But sorry don't make a dead man alive" mean anyway?

--: it means that saying "sorry" doesn't make a dead person alive or only saying a simply sorry will not bring him back to life. it means: one can not kill a man on accident and say they are "sorry". That doesn't cut it. Therefore, The quote "But sorry don't make a dead man alive". It's kinda oblivious dude. You need to hang out in the real world once in a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
Note: Pulling the "You're a loser for being on the internet a lot" card on the internet itself just does not work.

For the love of all that is holy and whatever, people, steel yourself on March 31st and prepare for this. Getting outraged over falling for a silly joke leads to...well, I guess we already know. Not quite Marvel vs. Capcom 3 levels of backlash, though - people have been bitter about that one for years and some who don't already know what it is still fall for it.

Back to this one: While pretty obvious, it reminded me of the petition to get Viz to unlicense Naruto a while back, which is simply hilarious. So I guess I was amused by it in a way!
Ataru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote

sorry but i'm not an internet/anime nerd like you anymore. I have moved on to more important things in the life. Grow up, anime is not everything and it won't get you anywhere in life. Jeez!!

Me too. Forget the internet, anime, and video game! I got cancer to cure. *Smokes a whole pack of smokes, pops in Ghost in the Shell TV LE 5, and passes out drunk like every Friday.*

Relax Jr., it's a joke, a prank if you will, and not a very good at that, heck 1Up did wrost. The moment it said "Uses money to invest in talking-hamster research", something should have clicked. It's right up there was last year Dragonball AF being made. Relax, tomorrow anything will the be to normal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sam.:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Note: Pulling the "You're a loser for being on the internet a lot" card on the internet itself just does not work.

yeah it does... what are you talking about dude. I have facts.

Nagisa averages about 5.47 posts per day. That's about 5 posts on ANN per day. That's freaking ridiculous… and it definitely qualifies him as ANN bum or a person with no life. Dude 5 posts a day. Dang! Plus his posts are usually long too. In contrast to mine.

On the other hand i average about 0.47 posts per day, which is significantly less than his average. I post only about "3 times" in a week, where as he would post "35 times" in a week. Thats just crazy. Doesn't he have life or what? Morevoer, his total posts amount to a whopping 3237. In contrast to my 133 posts.

Hence I prove that he is a geek. Well I don't care either ways.. don't bother me anymore. Bye I'm out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
Grow up,

You're the one crying about someone making a joke at Naruto's expense and you're telling me to grow up?

anime is not everything and it won't get you anywhere in life. Jeez!!

Exactly, so why are you getting so upset when someone makes a joke about it?

Anyways, it might have been an obvious joke for you, but not for me. Yeah I know, i'm out of the loop. That's why i visit this site. I guess the regulars caught on to it pretty quick.

Being "out of the loop" has nothing to do with it. The reference to hamster research in the subheadline should've been a blatant enough giveaway, though actually reading the article (provided you...do have any sort of grasp on the language) would've similarly betrayed its joking tone.

Had you simply read it, you'd have gotten it, whether you're in the know or not.

Anyways, i don't care anymore. i'm already over it.

Which is why you're taking personal shots at me instead of being the bigger person and turning the other cheek. Awesome.

BTW Nagisa, do you have a life?

Lesse...I have a pulse, my brain is functioning, I'm breathing...apparently I do.

You need to hang out in the real world once in a while.

Oh, so your sorry-ass sentence structure is somehow related to my social life? Wow...that's a new one. Good to know, I'll make sure to telepathically send you extra "grammar waves" at the next party I go to.

That's about 5 posts on ANN per day. That's freaking ridiculous… and it definitely qualifies him as ANN bum or a person with no life. Dude 5 posts a day. Dang! Plus his posts are usually long too. In contrast to mine.

So I'm articulate with my words and I find a lot of things to talk about. Where's the proof that I spend any more time online than you and don't get out?

On the other hand i average about 0.47 posts per day, which is significantly less than his average.

So...you find less things worth discussing. How does that prove you're on less than I am?

I post only about "3 times" in a week, where as he would post "35 times" in a week.

Your grasp of "on average" is a bit dodgy, I see. "35 times per week" is by no means set in stone. Hell, I don't even remember a week I was ever quite that talkative.

Morevoer, his total posts amount to a whopping 3237. In contrast to my 133 posts.

I've been around longer, and I find more topics of interest to discuss. That's still no proof I'm necessarily online longer than you are.

I'm verbose. That doesn't mean I don't get out regularly with friends. Your logic fails at that point and promptly crumbles. Unless, of course, your point is that a "correct" lifestyle is one where you opt against any form of linguistics beyond only the basest and most rudimentary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LazerBlader

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:58 am Reply with quote
bah. I find it kinda dumb nowadays to do pranks on April Fools Day. People WILL suspect when you try a prank on this day. I do pranks whenever I feel the situation is perfect.

Then again if you do it today and its sorta mean people won't take it too seriously ^^'
ThePhatBishounen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:15 am Reply with quote
Aw man that means now 4kidz can't license it... Now I'll never see badly done pirate/ninja crossover episodes!
space clam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda oblivious dude. You need to hang out in the real world once in a while.

That's ironic....

Nagisa wrote:
<long rebuttal>

That's why you're one of my favorites; now if only I could do that in real life....

Call me crazy, but don't most people disregard post counts, seeing as how they're indicative of little, sans how much/little a person has to say about any number of subjects? It's not inconceivable that I'm on the Internet *more* than Nagisa; it's just that I spend more of my time in StarCraft, or maybe a meteorological output database than in ANN.

Sam. wrote:
Nagisa averages about 5.47 posts per day. That's about 5 posts on ANN per day.

Did it ever occur to you that the average isn't indicative of how many posts were made per login interval? Given how much I post each time I come here, my per-login average might be in upwards of 8 posts. Assuming one logs in each day, how daunting is a 5-post-per-day average? I don't post here as much as others because I don't have as much information to bring to the table (of regular discussion) that many other people here do.

Common sense, it cures more than you know...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I personally found this prank over at Toonami Infolink to be much funnier than this one, and a lot more realistic as well (until the punchline).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4