• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Of Openings and Endings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toyNN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Yup same here - was able to also get a couple of 5$ CDs from Angela too that were a Geneon license.

For newer stuff I use YesAsia.com where you can get some CDs at better prices that CDJapan and shipping is free for orders over $45. Just got the OP for The World God only Knows and Otome Yokai Zakuro along with a few other things to get the free ship.

I also listen to 918thefan.com anytime for their nearly 100% asian/anime playlist.

here-and-faraway wrote:
Over the past few years I've purchased just about every $5 soundtrack they have in Rightstuf's Bargin Bin. I know that didn't do much to support the soundtrack industry, but I sure love listening to them. Haibane Renmei, Kamichu, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, and especially anything by Yuki Kajiura are my favorites.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I buy import anime CD's. I don't have much of a problem with the price, CD Japan has a nice points system that takes a not-insignificant amount off the cost of CD's for frequent purchasers (usually at least canceling out the cost of the lower-grade shipping).

My current pet peeve with anime CD's is that the actual soundtracks themselves (i.e. containing mainly background music) rarely have the full versions of the theme songs anymore, forcing you to buy the CD singles (or hoping that they'll come out with some kind of "best songs collection" eventually, like the nice 2-disk set I have for Minami-ke). I have around 25 to 30 soundtracks from the 1990's and not a single one had just the TV-size version of the theme songs. I understand why the Japanese record companies want to promote the sale of singles, but it's still annoying to have to buy 3 different CD's just to get what used to be on just one CD back in the 1990's (sans B-sides & karaoke tracks, I know).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
My current pet peeve with anime CD's is that the actual soundtracks themselves (i.e. containing mainly background music) rarely have the full versions of the theme songs anymore, forcing you to buy the CD singles (or hoping that they'll come out with some kind of "best songs collection" eventually, like the nice 2-disk set I have for Minami-ke). I have around 25 to 30 soundtracks from the 1990's and not a single one had just the TV-size version of the theme songs. I understand why the Japanese record companies want to promote the sale of singles, but it's still annoying to have to buy 3 different CD's just to get what used to be on just one CD back in the 1990's (sans B-sides & karaoke tracks, I know).

The OST only having the TV-size theme songs has been common as long as I can remember, although I think Geneon would try to get the full size version put on when they released the OSTs in the US since they didn't release the singles.

Another option is to get an iTunes voucher from Japan, which I tried recently with J-List. The problems being, as I discovered, that what with the poor exchange rate and retailer markup it works out as double the price per track, and all the tracks I purchased were DRMd. Also, no music from any Aniplex series is on iTunes due to Sony.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
^ Maybe I was buying CD soundtracks of the "wrong" shows in the 1990's, because absolutely every soundtrack album I have (many Tenchi Muyo, many Sailor Moon, several Gundam, Evangelion, Utena, You're Under Arrest, Cardcaptor Sakura, Fushigi Yuugi, just off the top of my head) has the full versions of the songs. A couple (Cowboy Bebop and DNA^2) just have the opening theme song, I guess to promote the purchase of the second soundtrack album. The only 1990's soundtrack album I have that has the TV-size songs is the 2nd Cardcaptor Sakura CD soundtrack, and that's an end-of-album bonus in addition to the full-size versions.

I wouldn't use an iTunes voucher as I'm a total physical media guy, even for music. (I don't even have an iPod.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fabe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Just wanted to mention, AOL Radio has a J-Pop station that plays anime theme songs. I don't think you can download of course, but you can get ring tones.

Last.fm also has soundtracks, just type in "anime" and you'll get them. Of course, it's random so people shouldn't get too excited. "Fuwa Fuwa Time" from K-ON! is playing right now. Very Happy

Emerje

There is also Japan-A-Radio.they have a hour long anime music program. http://www.japanaradio.com/#/page/home
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing about Geneon and OSTs is that according to the ANNCast where they discussed Geneon in detail, that portion of their business was actually making money! (unlike the anime side)

Now, just because Geneon was making money doesn't mean that they were making much of it, and Geneon is a music licensor in Japan, which likely helped them get stuff to release here much cheaper. So unfortunately, I'm not sure that it would be at all wise for anyone to try and release OSTs here again. Also, IIRC, the problem that the Geneon folks had was that to some extent the Japanese side was pushing for them to sell certain OSTs, whereas it was a different set of OSTs which was selling. I'd have to go re-listen to the ANNCast to be sure of any details though.

In any case, the fact that you can't generally buy anime OSTs and related singles in the US is by far the biggest hit to my anime budget. It costs far more to buy the music than it does to buy the anime or the manga, even when you're smart about where you buy. amazon.co.jp, for instance, has a base shipping price of 1500 yen (over $15). That's painful. So, I only buy there if I'm desperate. I primarily buy from YesAsia and play-asia and use cdjapan as my backup. But I'd love to find better options. It's all just way too expensive. When I first started importing anime CDs, I made the mistake of not paying much attention to the shipping costs, and I wasted a lot of money that I could have easily saved.

And don't buy them an EBay. It's pretty much a guarantee that they're bootleg. I tend to avoid amazon marketplace for the same reason (for anime CDs anyway - it doesn't have the same problem for other stuff that I've bought). Unlike with anime DVDs, with anime CDs, you can't generally know for sure that you're buying a bootleg before you get it (DVDs tend to have a differing number of discs and different packaging, but the CDs tend to be just straight pirated copies of the originals).

I expect that the vast majority of Americans who want anime music pirate it by downloading it and that many who try to get it legally end up buying bootlegs (often not knowing it in all likelihood). Anyone who's not buying stuff from known, legitimate retailers, really should read piracy FAQs like the one at the Anime Corner Store: http://www.animecornerstore.com/faq.html#1-5 .

In any case, I really wish that I could get my hands on anime music legally and cheaply, but at the moment, those two just don't seem to go together for anime music. At least the price for anime DVDs and BDs has come down.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
^ I haven't used eBay in almost a decade now, due to my credit card aversion (I use prepaid cards when ordering from CD Japan), but, back when I was using eBay, I found it very easy to avoid buying bootleg anime CD's. All you need to do is get the catalogue number of the legitimate Japanese release and use it in your search. I never bought a CD from eBay that wasn't legit.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I have a boatload of anime ost's-mostly downloaded. I have a lot of the Pioneer/Geneon osts. One I tried to get used was the ost from Maho Shoujo Tai (Tweeny Witches)-couldn't find it used from those shopping proxies in japan, luckily someone had ripped it in flac (lossless) and uploaded it and I found it after 3 years of searching.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Don't remind me. I could only get the first volume of the Angel Links OST (lucky find). The second one is impossible to find now (tried the same online store, had it listed but they couldn't supply it) -_-

I'm curious Brian, what dragon books do you know that haven't ended?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Umm...Naruto is more or less in it's last arc so...yeah. I can say for certainty it will end after this because there really is nothing left that needs to be done, and Kishimoto is a decent enough writer to know when enough is enough unlike some people....

I'm still curious as to how Kubo has actually deluded himself into thinking he can run Bleach for 10 more years.

Indeed, Naruto is definitely headed for the end, but Brian can't be expected to follow every long-runner so it's understandable he would assume otherwise. Bleach on the other hand now shows no sign of ending, though I'm hoping the recent spoiler[timeskip] will get the series back on track to what it was in the SS arc days. It will help if the new villain isn't a major Villain Sue like Aizen was.
darcerin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Another vote here for YesAsia.com and CD Japan for music OSTs. I believe if you buy enough in one go, you get discounted or free shipping on YesAsia.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:33 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm curious Brian, what dragon books do you know that haven't ended?

Probably the Inheritance "trilogy".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Now, Ayumi Hamasaki or Koda Kumi......which one to download......?

YOU ARE BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD, and so should Brian Hanson. I hope you're joking, it's EASY to purchase soundtracks and singles from CDJapan, Amazon.co.jp, YesAsia (I've had issues with them in the past so I prefer CDJapan and HMV.co.jp), and even iTunes and AmazonMP3 (which sells DRM-free MP3s) in some cases.

Save up your money and don't be a jerk.

Hanson, shame on you for making it sound like piracy is the only answer. I treasure my collection of physical copies of CDs. I haven't always had the money for it but when I do, I'm really happy to support my favorite artists.

RightStuf still has some of those wonderful bargain bin-priced OSTs as well. Shop around, people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3