• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Patlabor Video Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the Patlabor OVA series originally get licensed by Central Park Media 10 years ago?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

If they didn't feel the release could produce at least a competent bluray, they probably wouldn't try.

I suppose that's really what this all comes down to, in the end, so I'll trust that your conclusion will be effortlessly proven correct in due time. I'd be more than happy if that were the case.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I actually almost picked up a good bit of Patlabor on dvd not too long ago. Glad I didn't. I actually buy most things blind, so this will be a good way to do it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope they can grab the films next, on BD. DVD would be worthless, the massively expensive but incredibly discounted limited edition collector sets are still floating around.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that's good news. I already have a copy of the original Patlabor OVA, but a Blu-Ray does seem tempting to double-dip with, and it's good to see more people will be exposed to this fine franchise.

If they ever get the movies, it'd be neat to have releases of the first two with both English dubs (Manga Entertainment, Bandai Visual) on them. Neither dubs are perfect, but both have their pluses and minuses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:
I was watching the ovas of this last night (I have the imported blu-ray disc which I bought last October)
Dare I double dip? :)

YES!!!

I've had my OVA/TV1&2/New OVA BD boxes since July '11, and I look forward to double-dipping if ADV (or the Japanese) doesn't mess something up in production.

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Didn't the Patlabor OVA series originally get licensed by Central Park Media 10 years ago?

A Google search of rightstuf shows the release date of TV DVD 10 as 8 Mar 2005. Hmmm... ANN's review of TV DVD #1 was posted 29 Apr 2002.

Maybe ADV can get some good artwork for their release. CPM's covers were pretty hideous in overall design. ;_;
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
This happened because I found the original OAV collection for $25 a few months ago, isn't it? Wink

Oh well, this is cool because Patlabor is a great franchise which actually holds up pretty well, and it's nice that more people will get a chance to see it.

I dunno if I'll double dip, considering how much scavenging I had to do to get everything already, but I'll definately keep an eye on how this release pans out.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Maiden Japan is really becoming quite a new force, aren't they?
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Today was an awesome day for reissues, with this and Cobra being licensed by Nozomi. I've got everything but The New Files, but I heard that those were terrible. If they rerelease the movies, which should be in every anime fan's collection, that would be a nice cherry on top!
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

A Google search of rightstuf shows the release date of TV DVD 10 as 8 Mar 2005. Hmmm... ANN's review of TV DVD #1 was posted 29 Apr 2002.

Maybe ADV can get some good artwork for their release. CPM's covers were pretty hideous in overall design. Anime cry

CPM released the series on VHS in the late 90's intitally, with those hideous covers. Ugh.
Tochiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope they can grab the films next, on BD. DVD would be worthless, the massively expensive but incredibly discounted limited edition collector sets are still floating around.

You do realize that the Japanese BD releases for all 3 movies have English subs, right? They look great too!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Tochiro wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

You do realize that the Japanese BD releases for all 3 movies have English subs, right? They look great too!

They don't have the dubs though, and I'll second that opinion that a new BD release should contain both tracks for a definitive collection. I expect this OVA be dubbed, as that audio track already exists. If they get the films next, I'd hope they included them together, possibly even the third one for completion's sake.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
Ahh, now this is an interesting license.

Continuity-wise, how does the OVA stack up with the two movies and the TV series? I take it the movies are different from the TV series according to earlier posts.

Shenl742 wrote:
This happened because I found the original OAV collection for $25 a few months ago, isn't it? Wink

Make sure you find Cardcaptor Sakura for cheap, then! Chop chop! Razz
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
Giant_Robo_28 wrote:
Today was an awesome day for reissues, with this and Cobra being licensed by Nozomi. I've got everything but The New Files, but I heard that those were terrible.

Really? Any specifics? If you were happy with the TV series, I don't think that you'd be disappointed with the New OVAs. It's pretty much more of the same sort of content, and time advancing.

Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Continuity-wise, how does the OVA stack up with the two movies and the TV series? I take it the movies are different from the TV series according to earlier posts.

The original OVAs are in their own timeline, usually partnered up with the P1 and P2 movies. The TV series and New OVAs ("New Files") are together on their own timeline. Although I haven't thought about it too deeply, I don't see any reason why the Patlabor 2 movie can't be the end of both continuities. Is there something obvious that I'm overlooking?

Quote:
Shenl742 wrote:
This happened because I found the original OAV collection for $25 a few months ago, isn't it? :wink:

Make sure you find Cardcaptor Sakura for cheap, then! Chop chop! :P

It used to be that buying an expensive used release caused that title to get license-rescued. Now it only takes spending a mere $25?!? ^^
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

You can't take all the credit - I bought a used copy for $40 a few months ago...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4