• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Edo Eights and Heartbreak

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
heh, that's an interesting take on Vash... I may have to rewatch again, but I my impression of him was that the goofball part was actually the act, and that was what he was trying hard at. I always though that the moment he bacame serious was the moment that he allowed that cool and ultimately dangerous demeanor to show through... mayhap it's just me.

OTOH, Girls Bravo is quite an amusing guilty pleasure, without the pain of a Mahoromatic, and a bit sweeter than To Love Ru... though I like that one too. I was well and truly amused that when they bring Fukuyama the lech back to the older sister Maharu who is desparate to find a husband, he is dismissed out of hand.

I would also agree that more of the setting should have been Seiren. In FACT that could be the idea for a heck of a show, where wars are fought over men.
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Trigun was the first anime that actually influenced me to watch more anime. Having watched Fushigi Yuugi, Vampire Hunter D and Sailor Moon, I wasn't impressed or interested enough to watch any more anime. However, I was forced to watch Trigun and ended up enjoying the series a lot. That was back in 2000-2001 - I still love rewatching the series. It definitely doesn't have the best animation quality but it's more of a character driven show (kind of like Irresponsible Captain Tylor one of my favourite series still). I don't know if my opinion about the show would be the same if I've never watched it all the way back then and only viewing it for the first time now. Rewatching the series does give me a nostalgic feeling.

Besides everyone's opinion is different regarding what show they think is overrated anyways. I don't know if there can even be an objective overrated list for anything. Personally I think Evangelion is overrated - laughable pseudo-philosophy (usually that stuff irks me having been a philosophy grad), a whiny 14 year old kid with daddy issues piloting a giant robot, I've watched it twice and twice not impressed.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
@yuna49: Don't forget that, unless something has changed, only the older PS3 models are backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. AFAIK, the feature was dropped from the slimmed-down models.

I think there is some sort of software patch that you can download from PSN that lets you emulate PS2 (not sure about PS1) games on a PS3. I never really paid much attention to that download though, because I have an older model that actually runs all the older games.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
@yuna49: Don't forget that, unless something has changed, only the older PS3 models are backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. AFAIK, the feature was dropped from the slimmed-down models. I'd definitely second the Ratchet & Clank games though, and add that knowledge of the first few games isn't necessary to enjoy the Future line.

Recent models of the PS3 will play at least some PS1 games. I've actually tried this with Final Fantasy VIII. And Sony sells PS1 games for download onto your PS3 or PSP. My PS3 manual denies any ability to play PS2 games, however. I haven't bothered testing this.

I don't want to turn this into a game recommendation thread. I will recommend trying out as many of the free downloadable demos as you can stomach, and as your network can handle.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The show also loses points in my book for having two small girls approach the protagonist in episode one begging to marry him.

I wish the show took place on Seiren,
Call me crazy, but I think there would've been a lot more incidents like that if the show had taken place on Seiren. I can't even remember that much Tomoka or other loli fanservice, as they concentrated mostly on Kirie, Miharu, Lisa, and Koyomi. And those marriage requests are a random one-off joke, hardly enough to condemn the series imo.

TC-man wrote:
I have watched both seasons of Bravo Girls, and I think it should get the Rental Worthy rating because there are quite some likeable characters in it, while the show has that particular good feel of the late 90s/early 2000 romance comedy anime shows. I think people who can't get Japanese jokes/sense of humor should not watch this, and the English dubs are horrible (in my opinion), especially when the English script and English voice-actors are exaggerating things in order to make the show funnier, but it's obviously not. Don't get me wrong I don't hate dubs at all. Some are pretty good, but some (such as the ones in this Girls Bravo) are plain horrible.
Different senses of humor, I guess. Back when I saw Girls Bravo in fansubs, I thought it was a pretty meh/average show. But it only took a few random clips of the English dub to convince me to buy the boxed set. The problem isn't people not getting Japanese jokes; it's that the Japanese jokes in Girls Bravo are comparatively lame. Most of the dialogue is standard anime dialogue we've heard dozens of times before, not that the fansubs or the "No English native speaker has touched these" New Gen DVD subs help the matter. But by changing, adding, or subtracting various elements, the dub script livens things up and brings out more of the raunchy comedy. Does it make things funnier in all scenes, for all people? Maybe not, but it's a lot better than a faithful/straight dub would have been.

Quark wrote:
I dunno, I've been an anime fan for 13 years, and honestly, I have NEVER seen [characters shouting fireworks company names] in an anime before. And I've definitely seen more than 10 anime series. Giving an example would definitely not be futile. I'm honestly curious as to what series include this.
Steel Angel Kurumi (1st season) is the first time I remember seeing it, and ADV did in fact have a note explaining it in the DVD extras. There's also a scene in Kowarekake no Orgel that has it, and I know I added a note (in a fansub version that was never released afaik). The most "mainstream" example I can think of is in Bleach, somewhere in the 020s-030s Soul Society Arc episodes. At one point, Kuukaku Shiba sets off explosives while yelling Tamaya/Kagiya. Those are the specific examples I can recall of the top of my head, but I know I've seen it enough (mainly in summer festival episodes of various eroge/harem-type anime) to be a bit sick of it.

EDIT: Also Hanaukyo Maids La Verite, ep 04 @ 08:10 (even paused it to edit this post)

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
trigun is a classic because I've shown it to non-anime friends and they liked it right away. it's funny in the beginning and has a great dub. erin's opinions are really strange sometimes. i wonder if she realizes she doesn't think the way most people do. vash tries too hard to look cool while spike's coolness is effortless? what?
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Quote:
I mean, did you know that in Edo Japan it was common to shout the name of the fireworks manufacturer while watching a fireworks display?

Anyone that's seen more than maybe 10 anime series knows this. It's been done so many times that it should be common knowledge. I could give examples if you'd like, but frankly it almost seems like an exercise in futility. It's not nearly as rare as you seem to think it is.

I dunno, I've been an anime fan for 13 years, and honestly, I have NEVER seen this in an anime before. And I've definitely seen more than 10 anime series. Giving an example would definitely not be futile. I'm honestly curious as to what series include this.

Yeah, I've seen way more than 10 anime shows and I spent all of yesterday (ok, not really) trying to think of one anime other than Oh! Edo Rocket where this happened. I can think of lots of fireworks scenes but all I remember characters saying is 'kirei~' or something like that.

I watched Trigun long ago and it was okay but I wouldn't watch it again. And yay for an Aussie shelf collection! Madman has a shelf collection section in their anime update bi-monthly booklet, but they never show close ups of the shelves which is disappointing.

Now to make some time to watch my Oh! Edo Rocket DVDs Anime smile
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
heh, that's an interesting take on Vash... I may have to rewatch again, but I my impression of him was that the goofball part was actually the act, and that was what he was trying hard at. I always though that the moment he bacame serious was the moment that he allowed that cool and ultimately dangerous demeanor to show through... mayhap it's just me.

Nope. I felt the same way after watching the "Diablo" episode; even though I'm not done with the series yet, I always thought that Vash was "playing dumb" ever since episode four, maybe earlier.

Even though the DVD doesn't have many extras, I don't mind. Some people just enjoy watching the show, although I wouldn't mind any concept art or an interview with the creator.

animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/38452/img_0944.jpg
Wow...where did this person find, not only the TV series, but also the two Cardcaptor Sakura movies? And on DVD no less!!!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Trigun is, of course, the show that made voice actor Johnny Yong Bosch a star. He does a fine job as Vash. The dub script is also a nice adaptation of the sub script that keeps the intent but not the verbatim dialog. It's on par with the finer dubs Funimation has been putting out lately.

Bullshit. Animaze's Trigun dub is better than pretty much every dub Funimation's ever done, with the exception of Baccano.

Funimation might measure up to the typical Animaze dub in a few years, but most of the time they're laughably inferior to most Animaze productions.

Nobody dubs anime better than Animaze. Those guys dubbed Cowboy Bebop, Big O, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, three of the greatest dubs of all time. They also did Outlaw Star, Metropolis, Wolf's Rain, Gundam 0080, and Gundam 08th MS Team, solid dubs all.

On the subject of the show itself, I'm really fond of Trigun, even if it's basically Rurouni Kenshin with guns. Actually, I like it better than Kenshin. I should really think about getting it on DVD soon, but I have a lot to get, so I'll be putting it off again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Gee, maybe with my internet identity being what it is I ought to clock in my opinion...? Laughing

Well, I'm not going to even touch the issue of "overrated." I think Evangelion is overrated (its "deep message" is really just pop-existentialism), but it's got fantastic characters and was an excellent and simply brutal deconstruction of super-robot tropes. Trigun is overrated if you consider it an animated masterpiece, which it's not. What it has is a cast of very likable characters (hence all the cosplaying) and a solid set of stories with an interesting central moral premise. The animation itself is... erratic. Sometimes it's great, but oftentimes it's sloppy. Chock it up to the series not being that big a deal in Japan, and not getting much of a budget. It also has a number of truly dud episodes, though the great ones outnumber them.

Still, I love the character of Vash, hence the name. Beyond being my first anime crush, he's an example of why I don't have a simple bad-boy complex. I like character who, to quote the great Johnny Cash, walk the line. If they're bad with a chance of redemption, I love that; but I like even more, characters who are good and constantly presented with temptations to break their moral principles. Think Vash, Dr. Tenma, Yang Wenli. I also love his ability to be both funny and serious. He's just my perfect character. Plus, I love the badass longcoat.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Trigun is, of course, the show that made voice actor Johnny Yong Bosch a star. He does a fine job as Vash. The dub script is also a nice adaptation of the sub script that keeps the intent but not the verbatim dialog. It's on par with the finer dubs Funimation has been putting out lately.

Bullshit. Animaze's Trigun dub is better than pretty much every dub Funimation's ever done, with the exception of Baccano.

Wow, is there really need for the profanity just because someone states something you may not agree with? Holy crap man.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I want those Code Geass art boxes! The R1 Bandai ones suck...especially since R2 has no box to speak of Sad
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Funimation might measure up to the typical Animaze dub in a few years, but most of the time they're laughably inferior to most Animaze productions.

Nobody dubs anime better than Animaze. Those guys dubbed Cowboy Bebop, Big O, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, three of the greatest dubs of all time. They also did Outlaw Star, Metropolis, Wolf's Rain, Gundam 0080, and Gundam 08th MS Team, solid dubs all. .
Since you seem pretty passionate about this, you're gonna be horribly disappointed when you found out this all just your opinion. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Wow, is there really need for the profanity just because someone states something you may not agree with? Holy crap man.

If you're offended by a single, mild obscenity, you need to stay clear of the internet. And books, movies, music, etc.

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Since you seem pretty passionate about this, you're gonna be horribly disappointed when you found out this all just your opinion. Laughing

Captain Obvious, everyone. Hold your applause.

Also, it's not just my opinion. It's plenty of others'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Nobody dubs anime better than Animaze. Those guys dubbed Cowboy Bebop, Big O, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, three of the greatest dubs of all time. They also did Outlaw Star, Metropolis, Wolf's Rain, Gundam 0080, and Gundam 08th MS Team, solid dubs all. .

Actually, it's not just his opinion. Mine and many many others, too. Laughing

In contrast, the only Funi-dub that's even remotely close to an Animaze-dub in terms of quality, kickassness and stuff is,

wait for it,

...Fruits Basket.

Every Funi-dub before and since have been completely sucktacular.

As such and just to be fair, JYB wasn't even the best vocal in Trigun. It was always Wolfwood (Jeff Nimoy). JYB's portrayal was actually pretty wooden compared to his other cast-mates.

Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5