• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Atelier Ayesha's English Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Atelier games are like half visual novel, anyway. If you want a game that doesn't have a lot of focus on voices and text you're looking at the wrong game to make those complaints about.

And yes, I'm pretty much an RPG player, so I do want plot. Doesn't matter how good the "Gameplay" is if I couldn't care less about the story or characters like with so many of those big Western titles these days.

You just admitted you're a sheep. You're not a gamer and you weren't born when Sonic 2, Genesis and Mario were around. These games had no plot, but execeled in the most important thing. Gameplay. Sonic 3 is one of the best games of all time for its high speed gameplay. Stop playing video GAMES if you're not focusing on GAMEPLAY.

I don't really care what you think, I play the games I enjoy. In the end, we just have different ideas of what makes a game fun: I enjoy exploring fantasy worlds, interacting with and building characters and turn based/strategy gameplay. Thats all a lot more fun to me then just some linear action game.

And actually, Genesis was my first system. I mainly played Shining Force and Phantasy Star on it though.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Stop playing video GAMES if you're not focusing on GAMEPLAY.

Not all games are action games. Where do you get off calling people "sheep" just because they don't like the same games as you? I was playing text adventure GAMES long before Sonic was conceived.

There is a troll standing before you.
Exits are to the North.
>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
So far, I'm pretty happy with the dub, as I expected I would be. Very annoyed at the unvoiced scenes though and still very not happy at not having the Japanese audio available. At least I own the Japanese version of the game, but it will be quite a while before I'm able to actually play it.

OtakuKitten wrote:

Thanks so much! I think I might track down Totori and wait for the reviews of Ayesha. Although since I will have to buy used copies of the first three I might buy Ayesha anyway. Laughing

I've only just started, but for what its worth, so far I think its a good entry point. Better than any of the Arland games in some ways (in terms of being beginner/Atelier-newbie friendly; overall will have to wait until I'm finished or at least much farther in the game). Mainly because of how the synthesis works, which removes the randomization of item quality and traits of the Arland games.

The game also has the loosest time limits yet (your limit for everything is basically "before the game ends in the 3rd year) and you get more for the items you synthesize and for less time.

However, I'm under the impression combat is harder and will require the use of items more than previous games, and my first few battles support that. I feel much weaker than I did in previous games, even at the very beginning.

DavidShallcross wrote:
After the first hour, I think I had seen combat once, consisting of throwing a bag of potpourri at a critter.

Same, I was surprised that I played over an hour and played exactly one (and mandatory) battle. The game's intro phase takes a lot longer than the Arland games. Granted, I tend to multi-task (check Twitter and other internet stuff) while I play games, which extends the time. What took me an hour and twenty minutes might take most people more like 30-45 minutes.

The scenes tended to be entertaining though. It was quite fun once I was able to go out and start gathering, synthesizing, exploring and opening up new places. As expected, I don't mind at all at the loss of the 2D portraits when the character models look this nice. Maybe the next game will actually do something resembling lip-flap timing. It doesn't even need to be exact, just not 2-3 never-ending animations.

On that note, I love Wilbell's level-up laugh animation.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:
Stop playing video GAMES if you're not focusing on GAMEPLAY.

Not all games are action games. Where do you get off calling people "sheep" just because they don't like the same games as you?

Gameplay certainly matters to some extent but it is most certainly not the ONLY thing that matters in games. It is an additional area unique to this medium that the creators and, uh, experiencers (to use/make-up an all-encompassing term) must be concerned with but it does not necessarily replace things like narrative and characterization.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3