• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Ender's Game Author Praises Cowboy Bebop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I think that CB is an anomaly in terms of how much praise it actually GOT from US fans and how it didn't grow stale until its 3rd or so year of reruns on Adult Swim. It's a great show, plus it's an odd show, and it's certainly indicative of a certain place, time, and attitude.

The fact that it got a long time in the sun still makes me smile, and at the same time nobody's broken into my secret bunker and stolen the DVDs yet, so I can always re-watch it. It is too bad that sci-fi anime hasn't flourished lately, but let's face it: you can make the stereotypical "moe" show on a shoestring hobo chili budget.

I'm glad sci-fi is for angry nerds again. Great. NO SQUARES!

I'll abstain from any more comments re: Card, but I'm sure William Gibson (won the same awards!) likes Cowboy Bebop plenty himself.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Matriel wrote:
xBTAx wrote:
Because it's going to come up eventually... I love the Ender's Game series. They're some of my favorite books. But... I'm not really a fan of Card himself anymore due to some of his political views that he's become very vocal about. Mad

Yeah...he just lost a huge amount of respect from me as well. Thanks, xBTAx, for sharing that or else I would have been completely ignorant of his activism.

Basically he's a really religious Mormon. You'd never know that from reading his fiction. I don't particularly agree with his personal politics, but that hardly detracts from his work or his views on, frankly, things that have nothing whatsoever to do with his politics, like, oh, Cowboy Bebop.

well Card, did write a book where the main point of view character was a writer for a computer game company in the 80's, where he was a Mormon, had a family and whatnot (based on his family at the time). it was a pretty terrible book, only mildly interesting for its technology around video games. "1 day computers will have a megabyte of RAM!"

I've read Ender's Game, Xenocide and Ender's Shadow, pretty good books, I have some problem with Cards writing style as he doesn't really explain what things looks like, so its hard to get immersed.

all this talk of Cowboy Bebop and Firefly is kinda ironic considering this (or was it last?) weeks ANNcast. Though i will say one thing, CB is much better than Firely, just based solely on execution, CB is "shot" like a movie while Firefly feels like a cheap tv show. I don't hate Whedon or Firely, its just Firely isn't the better of the two.

speaking of Whedon I just recently watched all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on netflix, which i'm a little ashamed to admit, i really liked. and while it may be a soap opera i think its writing is fantastic. I actually enjoyed it more than Firefly, which felt like it needed more time before it would become something truly great.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Shay Guy"]
The Nagabuchi wrote:
I I believe to be the oldest anime I've ever seen, the Gundam 0079 movie trilogy.

Don't worry. There are still those among us who respect the classics.

Gundam's not that old, the trilagy was just the 80s, animes been around a bit longer than that. still good older stuff out there from the 70s and below, like Harlock or Galaxy Express. but any who a new fan even considering watching somthing old is a super rare anomaly, I see less and less people who even know what Cowboy bebop is at anime conventions, calling Cowboy bebop a modern anime or even an example of representative modern anime is wrong. There isn't that much sci-fi being made anymore, or even in the late 90s. Cowboy Bebop is a strange case, now or then.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There isn't that much sci-fi being made anymore, or even in the late 90s.

Maybe there isn't much good scifi being made--I agree that there isn't--but there is definitely a beaucoup of sci-fi anime being made. We just had 2 shows last season that were in the genre. If you're saying that there ratio of sci-fi shows to other genres is lower now than it was in the cyberpunk era, that might be true, but there's no dearth of sci-fi titles...unless you're looking for good ones.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
Card compares it to the Joss Whedon live-action television series Firefly, wondering if Whedon's show was itself inspired by the anime.

Sheesh, not THIS again. This implies that Firefly was somehow less than CB, when it was far, far greater.

I think he's just saying Firefly came after Bebop, so maybe there was some inspiration there. I don't think he's saying anything about which is better.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
There isn't that much sci-fi being made anymore, or even in the late 90s.

Maybe there isn't much good scifi being made--I agree that there isn't--but there is definitely a beaucoup of sci-fi anime being made. We just had 2 shows last season that were in the genre. If you're saying that there ratio of sci-fi shows to other genres is lower now than it was in the cyberpunk era, that might be true, but there's no dearth of sci-fi titles...unless you're looking for good ones.

But great ones are definatley still being made. I'm watching Dennou Coil right now and it's fantastic. Sure it's 4 years old, which is a bit of an "eternity" ...

but I don't really believe in taking a certain era and making a cross-section of it to determine if "good" stuff is being made. Because good stuff it's ALWAYS being made in my opinion. Even if those young'uns seem to flock to Haruhi (and is that a bad thing?)

More on topic, Cowboy Bebop was the second anime series on DVD that I've ever owned...never realy liked it all that much.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
Card compares it to the Joss Whedon live-action television series Firefly, wondering if Whedon's show was itself inspired by the anime.

Sheesh, not THIS again. This implies that Firefly was somehow less than CB

How does "inspired by" imply "lesser than"?
giao_su

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Card’s comment on the music in Cowboy Bebop struck a resonating chord* with me. After watching Cowboy Bebop, I began paying at least as much attention to the music as to the plot, acting and design in anime.
If Yoko Kanno is in charge of the music, I shall watch (and listen to) the anime. Also, about two episodes into Blood+, I had a similar “Wow!” response to Mark Mancina’s score.
I am impressed by the attention to music in many anime, including some otherwise mediocre productions.
“And now for something completely different. . .”
On this side discussion about the institution of marriage†, Card's position, the position of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and the positions of other opponents of same sex marriage are all based upon homophobic assumptions.
Although some folks will argue that opposition to same sex marriage does not imply homophobia, I have never seen such a case. All the arguments I have seen are weakly supported and ultimately collapse back to their homophobic assumptions (e.g., if we allow adults of the same sex to marry, then we must allow adults to marry children; same sex marriage will promote an “unnatural” lifestyle (homosexuality).
The best (IMO) “I-am-not-a-homophobe” argument is that we should not “experiment” with redefining such an important social institution as that of marriage. Acceptance of this argument requires that we ignore historical evidence of the desirable outcomes of such “experiments.” Human society has benefited from, not just the redefinition, but the abolition, of important social institutions (e.g., slavery, autocracy).
Even marriage has been routinely redefined for centuries. The last major redefinition was the state-by-state abolition of couverture in the U.S. during the 19th century (although one component of couverture, prohibiting spouses from testifying for or against each other, survived until the late 20th century).
Couverture was a common law doctrine in the United States and England where a married woman could not own property, enter into a contract or sign other legal documents including a will, obtain an education or employment against her husband's wishes and, if she was employed, a woman could not keep her salary for herself even if separated from her husband.
To my mind, the abolition of couverture was a much more fundamental change to the meaning of marriage than granting equal protection under law‡ to same sex couples by removing the prohibition of same sex marriage.
I apologize for responding to the off-topic portions of prior posts. I shall certainly understand if the moderator chooses to remove my post.
----------------
* Sorry, a little problem with loose association here.
† Groucho Marx: "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?” Sorry again. Another pesky loose association. Must get my meds re-evaluated.
‡ For forum members not familiar with the U.S. Constitution, the Equal Protection Clause is in Section 1 of the 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, one of my favorite authors likes my favorite anime. Pretty cool. Cool

I'm still working on reading through the Ender books. I'm sort of going back in forth between the main series and the Shadow series. My only problem with the books is some of the "I know that he knows that I know that he knows that I know" that goes on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the guy that write a great sci-fi story really like Cowboy Bebop. He should try watching other anime like Ghost in the Shell, and some other good Sci-Fi anime.

From the way he praise Cowboy Bebop and become fascinated by anime. I wonder if this mean that we may get a anime adaptation of Ender's Game. That would be cool if he approve it, I always thought Ender's Game could work as an anime. I also recalled this novel was translated in Japanese, although I don't know if the Japanese like it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3