• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I was encourage to search up the attack names (Scorched Earth and White Knight) and found interesting stuff. I'm really enjoying this show, interesting take on economics and might be helpful for my class next year.

spoiler[So, not all people commit suicide once they run out of money. That's... somewhat better in a sense, I guess. The professor is right, when they mention "future", it's really vague. I thought it would meant just the Entre's life but it's not. It can affect the people around the Entre.]

And Mysu's name reminds me of marshmallows for some reason. Mashu (pronounciation)... Ma-shew... Marshmallow. Scorched Earth... Campfire...

Anyways, I'm really liking this show. About the episode count, it's a Noitamina show, so it's usually around 11 episodes.
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
its kinda like a good show mixed w/ Yugiho.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
The way things work out is kinda messed up. I could see losing out on the context making the dealer sterile or something, but to spoiler[retroactively erase his living kids from reality, how messed up is that? When did they sign up for that? When did his wife?]

It also seems that the punishment fits the amount of money you have, so if you only lose a little money you would maybe lose a girlfriend or something, while if you lost millions of dollars worth you could lose your entire family, maybe everyone you knew.

Anyways, they really need to step up the combat sequences, make them longer lasting, more involved, and have more of a sense to them, so that the viewer can tell what's happening and why. Without making the rules clear it's hard to get invested in the matches, because you can't "play along at home". Some things they've made clear, but there's still a lot of "mush" in the systems.
chachaboru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote
i like this anime....
it first caught my attention because of it's art...
then i watched it then find it interesting....
i felt sorry for the main character(forgot his name, sorry) when he found out the girl has a boyfriend, lol...
i also like how they use money to fight.... it's really unique and cool....
egoist

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Anyways, they really need to step up the combat sequences, make them longer lasting, more involved, and have more of a sense to them, so that the viewer can tell what's happening and why.

I don't see the fights getting extended because every episode is already packed with occurrences. The fact that noitamina wants to pack everything in 11 episodes really annoys me because that kills the potential of most anime with ongoing plot lines. So far the anime is doing great, but if we had 13 episodes instead of 11 we'd already be seeing improvements starting with detailed fights and more character development.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they'll ever get around to fixing the fights. It doesn't look like they're the most important part of it... I'd say they drop them and focus on the bigger picture, or perhaps use them only as a sort of secondary tool for showing the impact of whatever changes are occurring in the FD. I guess more or less what they already are doing, except I think they still spend too much time on them.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 4 now, and I have to wonder at the difference in Mikuni's strategy in the first two fights we've seen from him.

In episode 1, he showed no mercy, and bankrupted the guy who fought him.

In episode 4, spoiler[he manipulated things so that his opponent didn't go bankrupt in the loss. I'd say he was just putting on a show for Kimimaro, but it's clear from the way the onlookers were reacting that Mikuni is known for fighting in such a way.]

spoiler[Was it just because the guy in episode 1 had so few assests he felt the effect on the real world wouldn't be that bad? Did the animators decide they wanted to give episode 1 a dramatic start and not care about the plot implications? Or is there another explanation I'm not thinking of?]
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the first guy's asset was really small that a minimal loss by the old man would have greater effects than the first guy's whole asset. I doubt he's worried about the individuals he fights, but more about the population of the real world.

Anyway, just watched episode 6 and the fighting scenes haven't changed. If I recall correctly, they also cut another fight halfway through and showed it another episode didn't they? I hope so, because this fight had to be the most awesome so far.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
I like their dynamic with Mashu. It's going the right way, though I'm pretty sure he'll soon find himself facing the dilemma - if he goes on to destroy the FD (in whatever way), the asset's going to disappear.
The fights still have nothing to them, but I like the fact that spoiler[they make Mashu's suffering quite poignant.] Though then it was a bit weird, cut to congratulations.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:24 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I just marathoned 5 eps of a new anime! I haven't done that since...well, it's been a long time.

Suffice it to say, this show has caught my fancy.

I'm very curious what the show's "ultimate message" about money will be. Mikuni has some major "bad guy" vibes, His ideas with regard to the Sterling Guild seem...monopolistic to me (economics is a subject that I still have much to learn about). Something just seems off about his methods, both in the financial district and the real world. One guy gaining that much power can't be a good thing.

I want to cheer for Yoga every time he reasserts that he doesn't want money for money's sake, just enough to build a steady life for himself and a family that he hopes to have in the future. What's wrong with that, indeed? People who go after money for money's (well, power, really) sake aren't always able to keep a proper balance in their lives, and modesty is an under appreciated virtue.

The idea that one needs a large amount of money to raise a family or do good in the world is B.S., sorry.

I really want to learn economics from this show, but the fights are confusing and the "consequences" of bankruptcy in the Financial District are unrealistic. I love how the entres bleed Midas currency when they are attacked directly.

Other thoughts:

I really hope that Mushi doesn't remain a tsundere (or whatever she is) for long. Isn't she supposed to represent Yoga's future and will? What does the personality of the "asset" say about the entre?

Mikuni has more than one asset, right? Q and the guy with the animal head? I wonder if he has more.

I have a feeling that there is more to the story of Yoga's parents, there always is.

The investigator from "the company" mentioned that there are Financial Districts all over the world, and that East Asia has the nicest one (how would she know? She only got into the FD after she transferred to Tokyo). I'm wondering what the other Districts look like, particularly the one connected to Wall Street in NYC. There are a lot of rats there, y'know! Wink (Literally. A scientist once did a study of the behavior of rats in Manhattan, and I believe he used the financial district as his main post for observation).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Finally started and caught up with this series, it has a certain appealing aspect to me directly as I am studying accounting with some ecconomics in it. Strangely I have not really made up much of a mind on certain aspects and characters of the show, well demon girl is appealing, and the whole financial district thing is sketchy. Really creating money out of nowhere out of the control of government can destroy an ecconemy, the district can obviously create the money without much care, but where does the lost futures go?

The whole show likely mirrors how a lot of financial markets of the normal world, the whole asspect of a gamble over a success or loss, but if there is only one clear winner then you have monopolistic controls over market that destroys competition. I am a bit surprised that who ever is in control of the district has not done something to stop the guild that is likely to stunt any sort of growth.

On the topic of Mikuni's other Asset, following the nature of real assets, I wonder if they can be bought and sold.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator Exactly. The "Guild" seems like an old time "Gentlemen's Club," AKA monopolistic groups that set prices in order to reduce competition. That really messes up a. Capitalist system.

And the fact that your "asset" represents your future, rather than say, your house or your car: how do you put value on an unknown? People can invest in your assets' stocks: does that mean you'll have more kids? Get a better job? Become famous? Your supportive Aunty will live to see 130 and be able to take care of herself and support you emotionally throughout?

People who went bankrupt in the financial district so far have had far-reaching personal consequences, so people who increase their assets should be able to find a great spouse, have lots of cute kids and be rest assured that their loved ones'll be healthy and happy. Merely gaining money...it doesn't have to work both ways, I guess, but the system is strange.

If you're right about being able to sell your asset or buy someone else's, than is it possible to buy someone else's asset and wake up in the real world the next day married to his/her spouse? Very Happy

Oh, does anyone know when Viz releases new eps of this show vs. When new eps are shown in Japan? It seems like over a week's delay.'
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
@DuskyPredator Exactly. The "Guild" seems like an old time "Gentlemen's Club," AKA monopolistic groups that set prices in order to reduce competition. That really messes up a. Capitalist system.

It's either that, or he is meant to be a sort of central bank with a whole lot of regulating powers, the fourth branch of government as they like to call it nowadays (as he's buying up the government debt) which is becoming way too powerful. I think his plans might go further than that, though. I would be surprised if he doesn't have a Xanathos Gambit up his sleeve, even if his speech (preferring that people live in this corrupt world than starve in another). Either he achieves total control, and then his model proves unsustainable; or he achieves total control, and then pulls the plug on the bloody thing; or Midas does something to undermine him, perhaps involving other Entrepreneurs. I find the IMF plot line quite interesting as well. Wonder how they will portray it.
However it may unfold, it's a pretty interesting picture they paint, although I'm not convinced they'll keep it consistent. I'm pretty sure the links between FDs all over the world won't be explored (if the series proves me wrong, well, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't think they have the time or will to do this in 11 episodes).
I will also laugh if they include a black swan as someone's asset. That would be smart, but again, not likely.

Anyone found out what the numbers mean? Circulation of Midas currency? Because they are way, way less than their national debt (at over 1 quadrillion yen now, while the number we saw on the coin thing is 'only' at 8 trillion).

The new episode's a flashback, Mikuni's story. Not bad. I'm sure everyone notices spoiler[the similarity between his dead sister and Q, that goes as far as them sharing the seiyuu?] Not a coincidence, surely. Someone please explain to me, though, why every other anime series seems to have some character with frail health who lives in the hospital? I don't know if it's a Japanese phenomenon, I just know that even a day in the hospital in most countries I've been to costs as much as a full trip to a four-star hotel somewhere on the Mediterranean, and I've always wondered how the hell ordinary families can survive while paying for that.
Mashu is love, too.
I presume at the end he saw spoiler[a company that went bust or something. Either way, the consequences of a deal.]
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:

On the topic of Mikuni's other Asset, following the nature of real assets, I wonder if they can be bought and sold.

Well, you can invest in other people's assets, maybe if someone else gets a controlling interest they can claim it for themselves. Or maybe they can be gained via bankrupting.

Quote:

And the fact that your "asset" represents your future, rather than say, your house or your car: how do you put value on an unknown? People can invest in your assets' stocks: does that mean you'll have more kids? Get a better job? Become famous? Your supportive Aunty will live to see 130 and be able to take care of herself and support you emotionally throughout?

I don't think investing in an asset makes it "stronger", it just gives it some added juice in a pinch, allowing you to win a fight. It seems to be that when you lose money in a deal, you loose real world things, but when you gain money, you just gain money, which you could choose to spend on things.

Based on what we've seen, especially in the latest episode, it seems to be an entropic system designed to erode the quality of life on Earth, It's designed so that "the house always wins", and it's far easier to lose non-monetary things than to gain them.

Quote:
I don't know if it's a Japanese phenomenon, I just know that even a day in the hospital in most countries I've been to costs as much as a full trip to a four-star hotel somewhere on the Mediterranean, and I've always wondered how the hell ordinary families can survive while paying for that.

Nationalized healthcare.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Nationalized healthcare.

I know that, they have a pretty good system, but surely, young people staying in hospitals for years cannot be a very common phenomenon. Imagine how much it would cost. I'm simply curious as to why it seems to be such a persistent trope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6