• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Big Ones

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
I know that I have no interest in Lupin III. I tried but it is everything (except overly moe) that I don't want in anime. I also tried the "different" Fujiko Mine series and disliked that as well.

Quote:
Maybe if TMS takes my advice and goes for a pro-Occupy angle for a future installment, Lupin might have a shot, again.
lolwut? You mean those Occupy Wall Street guys?! If so, while I'll agree that Lupin needs to be improved I don't think that having him publicly defecate on police cars is the way to go about it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:10 am Reply with quote
Echo:
Quote:
I tried but it is everything (except overly moe) that I don't want in anime.

Yawn. Rolling Eyes

[EDIT: I'm only allowing this one through because the AMV linked to here is pretty funny. - Key]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I stopped worrying for the most part about what other fans want. From what I see, most anime fans are shallow fans and they won't be in the hobby 3-5 years from now let alone 10 years. I've seen a lot of cosplayers in the local area but these are not deep fans. They'd be cosplaying other things if the anime designs weren't more interesting than most of the domestic product in the US is..

I feel much the same as you. I don't really care what others think or want. As Justin pointed out about the character designs, people judge far too easily based on visual aesthetic. True, if a piece of crap is a piece of crap, then it's not going to look pretty in any way possible, but even things with bizarre or ungainly characters (CLAMP's anatomy, Shin-chan) turn out to be better than they look.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote
Nothing that old produced on a TV budget ever looks good 30 years later. Even Hollywood movies made barely over 10 years ago look like total shit by our standards today. Watched the first Harry Potter movie lately? It looks like it was made for a film school senior project. Die Another Day also looks like crap. Eventually we'll all think Avatar looks hokey.

But if you ignore the visuals and listen to the original Gundam audio, you'll realize why it is such a classic. The performances by the original cast haven't aged a day. The performances in most series that old feel dated, but Gundam does not.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nothing that old produced on a TV budget ever looks good 30 years later.

I am gonna call bullshit on that one,there are plenty of old things that look good even by today's standards ,including old Lupin 3 TV series.Some stuff has happened over the years that changed the way anime looks,but the processes that are used today to create animation haven't changed since the beginning of the animation.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:22 am Reply with quote
I'm gonna call bullshit on that. Back then it was all hand drawn, hand colored, with hand drawn backgrounds, which has been replaced almost entirely with hand drawn or computer assisted drawing drawings, computer coloring, and CG backgrounds. And that's ignoring the 3DCG used in almost every series.

And of course, some cheaper programs are almost entirely computer generated... ie, South Park or Kamiusagi.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
I am watching Aim for the Ace from 1973 right now and despite being old it looks beautiful to me.

The story is a bit melodramatic but then you can see how modern anime developed. The "do your best" theme permeates this anime as it does many modern sports series. And as for the style well you can see the influence on Shoujo.

I think that is whats fun about watching classic series. But you do have to look at it in the context of it when it was made.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm gonna call bullshit on that. Back then it was all hand drawn, hand colored, with hand drawn backgrounds, which has been replaced almost entirely with hand drawn or computer assisted drawing drawings, computer coloring, and CG backgrounds. And that's ignoring the 3DCG used in almost every series.

Aaaaarghhh.......
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
As for FUNimation, they did have newer Lupin specials.
Most of what they release was stuff from the 1990s, and they were releasing it in the mid-2000. Yes, back then we had a bigger gap between what was released in Japan and what was released in in North America. But why release 10 year old specials (some of which were ugly and/or baaaaaad), when you have stuff like First Contact and Return the Treasure, which were only 3-4 years behind Japan?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Anime is an unforgiving medium, and its fans are worse. Very very few anime shows/films can cross the ages without problems. But most of the time a show is anchored in a specific time as its audience is. Trying to recreate an audience 10-20 years later for an old show is akin to mission impossible. That's why you see remakes done so often.
Sadly, things weren't always that way. Take Yu Yu Hakusho -- it started airing in Japan in 1992, yet managed to be a hit here in the early 00s. But then you have today's fans already beginning to reject the entire 00s decade, despite the lack of any significant paradigm shift coinciding with the decade break as happened with the cel -> digipaint transition in 2000. (I sure don't recall the 90s being completely rejected when I got into anime in 2003.) If current trends continue, we'll see people dropping 2-cour Fall 2019 anime en masse midway through the instant the clock strikes midnight on January 1st, 2020 Rolling Eyes
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I think that has more to do with availability then anything else. In the early 00s most fans only had what companies brought over or what was shown on TV. Nowadays you get shows day and date with Japan. With new stuff available all the time, there's hardly a reason to look back 10 years for a good show.

It's no different with American television. It's not like people are skipping the latest episode of some new prime time show to go back and watch something that aired 10 years ago.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

It's no different with American television. It's not like people are skipping the latest episode of some new prime time show to go back and watch something that aired 10 years ago.

Many of those shows are still on syndicated reruns though, so there's clearly an audience.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I am watching Aim for the Ace from 1973 right now and despite being old it looks beautiful to me.

Bolded and underlined the important part. You are in a very small minority.
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Awesome insight as usual Justin! So, who wants to go dumpster diving with me in Japan Anime hyper. I did go shopping in the clearance section at Gamers one year in 2006 and got TONS of awesome deals. like entire boxes of trading cards for 1000 yen for like 30 packs!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Many of those shows are still on syndicated reruns though, so there's clearly an audience.

Sure there is an audience, but the real question is "how many of those are ready to spend $$$ to buy an old tv show". People are more inclined to watch whatever passes on tv as long as it is free.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6