• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Set in America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sugarwater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the Red Garden staff visiting New York for research? They even had a blog for their visual research at one point.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Nice list, although I am kinda sad Eden of the East's DC didn't get a mention. Also, Steins Gate had a bonus episode in LA, with the convention center in impressive detail. As for anime of the year, I may be against the grain, but I leaned towards Date a live, Haganai Next, Beyond the Boundary, and Railgun S. In the end it was Haganai for me.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I am currently quite enjoying Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, which takes place in America. And it's based on a VN, yay!

I have not seen a single anime that came out in 2013. I'm always at least a year behind, to let all cream rise to the top.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I feel vaguely guilty about having generic taste but I ended up voting for Attack On Titan. Although a large part of that is I've STARTED a lot of shows this year but I'm really bad at FINISHING things, so...it was that, or Flowers of Evil, or Free! (which are the shows I've finished from this year so far), and I really enjoyed Flowers of Evil and Free! for very, very different reasons, but Attack On Titan was the one I think I enjoyed the MOST. So far. I have a feeling I'll probably have another favorite once I start catching up and really kick myself over having voted for Titan later but oh well. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
sugarwater wrote:
No mention of the Red Garden staff visiting New York for research? They even had a blog for their visual research at one point.

Perhaps because, although the landmarks were drawn reasonably well they were misplaced. I belong to an anime club that used to meet in NYC to watch anime. It's been a few years so I don't remember specifics but I do distinctly remember city residents in the meeting laughing at how they had things next to each other that did not belong that way.

Due in part to our no longer having anime showings and more to the ridiculously huge backlog I have, although I watched a lot of anime in 2013 I did not watch a single episode of any show listed in the poll, so of course I'm not voting. Almost everything I watched was on physical media except for a few fansubs (the last season of Hidamari Sketch and the second season and OVAs for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni).
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I voted for The Eccentric Family. Admittedly, I rate that and Flowers of Evil equally as best anime of the year, for different reasons.
ajr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of shows out there I still haven't seen (especially from 2013), but I believe the old OAV Mad Bull 34 takes place in "New York" too? re:next week's poll, I really wanted to vote for A Certain Scientific Railgun S, but had to give the top spot to Attack on Titan, which is actually pretty well-written despite it's popularity. On the other hand, if I'd seen HunterXHunter or Space Brothers I'd probably have voted for them.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Nagi no Asukura seeming as I would already rank it within my top 10 series, where exactly will depend on how the rest of the series pans out.

Glad Baccano! topped the list, cracking series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
What people actually voted for Son Goku as a great anime father?

Sure, he loves his sons, but uh... he's a brain damaged fight addict who regularly puts his family and allies in harm's way because he wants to fight strong guys. He only agreed to marry Chi-Chi because he thought marriage was food and just kind of went with it.

Unless you're watching a lot of the English dubbed version of DBZ, you're probably not going to get the impression that Goku is a top notch father.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I can only pick one show for the poll, sounds complicated. Several shows are still airing so those are all out {I like Log Horizon and Outbreak Company but the poll is about the shows I liked from this year}.

Anything focusing on quality animation or bold images is right out. Yes, you got money or a good designer, I get it.

Devil is a Part Timer is a show I really enjoyed from start to finish but I didn't rewatch any episodes and I don't feel the need to revisit it any time soon.

My Romantic Life Snafu is a show that got a lot better on its second viewing, a show of vague motivations and hazy conversations. There may or may not be a love triangle and who would be the focus of it.

Henneko was a love story disguised as a harem.

Servant x Service is a show where I reviewed episodes midweek, simply because everything was just so fun. Voice acting, writing, the character animation and even the location.

Servant X Service, that's the one I guess.
EastN3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I always wait a year or two to watch current season anime, so I can avoid the inevitable junk shows. Even so, I did watch Attack on Titan due to incessant nagging on the part of my friends. So ultimately I voted for that
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I also think Eden of the East should have been on list, but you never can get them all Smile

I voted for Little Busters Refrain but I was tied with Attack on Titan I just felt LB needed some love Smile I appreciate the effort into making the 2013 list! That is HUGE!
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
give anime in america saw red garden, chrono crusade, & of course baccano got the dvd on it yea sure set it america give different side of story.

hmm pick for 2013 anime give mention list if pick a lotof those well in way go with

Vividred Operations aka strike witches meet power rangers.
The Devil is a Part-Timer! aka from demon lord to mcdonald worker.
Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! aka female wrestling anime YES YES YES.
Muromi-san - mermaid anime big ha ha ha to watch.
DxD s2 - yea waiting for dub & s3 for it.
Freezing s2 - same thing now want a dub
symphogear s2- singing madoka is back give too much oh yea s3 on way.
blood lad - vampire otaku series.

overall so many to mention yea long list to pick.
spoony

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A long chase scene following the Chicago turnpike is one example of research that went into the series' creation.

Ha, I am from Chicago and I was like "Wtf is she talking about?" I looked it up--you mean the tollway! I think this is a regional terminology thing, which is a relief because I thought I was going to lose my Chicagoan card. I must watch this show now.

In the poll, I voted for Attack on Titan. Not the most original choice, I know, but it's the show that kept me coming back every week whereas for the others I could skip a few weeks and then binge watch later.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised Tiger and Bunny wasn't listed. It takes place in a fictional New York City, and it's also one of the only anime I've ever seen that features a racially diverse cast to reflect that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4