• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Pick the Anime Characters They'd Most Want As Dads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Kirito as dad? That's just dumb.

I'd pick Domon Kasshu from G Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone want Sebastian Michaelis as a dad? Isn't he a demon? He's a bishie, so I'm sure he'd make a hot bf, but not a dad.

Another anime dad: Eren's dad, Dr. Jaeger! He's neglectful *and* abusive!
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
No love for Gendou Ikari?

I was seriously going to post this too haha.

So basically by the end of all these fan polls we'll all have our own imaginary anime family.

I wouldn't mind having Rei Ayanami as a third cousin twice removed!
Kurohei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Akio as your dad wouldn't mean much unless Senae is your Mother. You need both. They have the perfect duo going on.
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
LEGOF wrote:
OK, why would anyone want Kirito to be their dad? Also, how in the hell did he place over Akio?

Kirito seems like a nice guy who'd actually look after his children. Not, y'know, choose to be dead rather than be with them or beat them up regularly.

Don't you think that'd be a bit better?
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
-Kirito
-Sebastian
-Levi on the female list

Whoop! That's the anime community for you. Eh, somewhat expected when I clicked on this.

Anyways, I agree with Minato. Akio's a great pick. But how the hell is he on the list but not Tomoya. I guess people are just looking for comedic value in their father. Tomoya went through so much that he'd give great advice.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd want Tuxedo Mask as my dad. No lie.
Kuro-Law

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Kirito??!?? Someone kill me.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
In all fairness for Goku, he's a good father when he's around but when he dies it's just incredibly inconvenient. And him choosing to stay dead was because he realized he was essentially an attraction for doom and despair. I mean his actions as child unwittingly lead to Android and Cell arcs happening in the first and him just being on Earth created a catastrophic chain of events.

And as far him making Gohan fight Cell, which is often the evidence used the most to call him a bad father, people never look at it at every angle. Goku knew Gohan was much stronger than him and even had greater reservoirs of hidden power. People always gloss over the fact that Cell said if no one could beat him at the Cell Games, he'd kill everyone, so if Gohan doesn't fight Cell, Earth is finished. And Goku started before the Cell games even started he had chance against Cell. What would you do in his position?

The only thing I'll criticize Goku for was giving Cell a senzu bean, it's one thing to have immense faith in your son but that was going too far.

Personally, I'd love to have Goku as a father, because he's so cool, relaxed and laid back, and genuinely the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He's also the best person you ever learn martial arts from. Oh, and Saiyan DNA. Smile
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
notice that we have the super hard time, because the removed family is the most common trope in Anime? Many kids are just out and out orphans, but it's rare that the father is the only one around...

That's one reason I like Issin [Shiba] Kurosaki. even early on, when all we know is that he is a goofy crazy father, but still he trained Ichigo for a reason. Couple to a very complicated past...

The way I look at these lists, most people just don't have enough to work with, because the vacant [or out of reach] father is often the story line's catalyst...

So who's the best father figure?... that's prolly more usable, in many ways. some of them substitutes... Like Kakashi represents Minato... and is also one of my favorites.

and how much of being a father or a father figure, is about keeping your kids from self destructing, while getting out of the way... so that they can grow.
UberAnimeFan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Why would people want Goku as their father? Even ignoring the fact that he's a LITERAL idiot with super strength, who could probably snap a, non-saiyan, baby in two by accident. Even ignoring those facts, he abandoned his children like twice throughout the entire series...Just why?
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
At least Ging wasn't on here. And people Kirito or Goky are bad fathers, yeesh.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
UberAnimeFan wrote:
Why would people want Goku as their father? Even ignoring the fact that he's a LITERAL idiot with super strength, who could probably snap a, non-saiyan, baby in two by accident. Even ignoring those facts, he abandoned his children like twice throughout the entire series...Just why?

He may be an idiot, but he's also insanely nice and forgiving. Hell, there's every chance that any other child would abuse Goku's laid back and relaxed to do some rebellious crap knowing Goku is not the sort person that believes in punishing your child in any way.

And he didn't necessarily "abandon" he just didn't want to put the world in jeopardy by him just being on earth, because for a very long time that was the case. And on the second occasion, his children were adults by that time. Hell, Gohan was a scholar who was married and had a child.

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lusbox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Akio was definitely the first one that popped into my head.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Akio was definitely the first one that popped into my head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6