• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures Acquire Live-Action Robotech Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
May the Robotech movie be as good as Speed Racer was (and I mean that with all sincerity - I loved the HELL out of Speed Racer. It ranks up there with the Robert Altman Popeye and the Rocketeer as best comic-to-movie adaptions ever set to film).
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

This is the kind of live action film most Robotech fans want. I.E. a live action Macross with Valkyries and Battlepods and the whole shebang.
Unfortunately it's also the only thing guaranteed the live action film cannot be, can never be. So think more in terms of a live action of Mospeada/Southern Cross/The Sentinels than Macross.

While BW has left HG alone for the last couple of decades you can bet your ass if money is to be made (and blockbuster films have that tendency)they'll come down hard on HG/Sony and whoever else is going to make money off of their property. The Macross storyline and characters belong to BW. HG cannot sell those rights to Sony for a live action adaptation cause they never had them in the first place no matter what the geniuses at HG proclaim.

Quote:
May the Robotech movie be as good as Speed Racer was (and I mean that with all sincerity - I loved the HELL out of Speed Racer. It ranks up there with the Robert Altman Popeye and the Rocketeer as best comic-to-movie adaptions ever set to film).

Or it would end up like Doom or better yet like I, Robot which had only the name of the novel. The Robotech live action will not be what most fans expect it to be.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:07 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
It's not plagiarism if they're allowing this.

I said, "almost outright plagiarism" I never said it was plagiarism.

And since I saw no mention of Big West, Studio Nue, or Tatsunoko, it could be very well classified as such since Harmony Gold was not the original creators of the Macross, the mechs, the aliens, and alien ships and other aspects of Robotech. Let's not forget that the article does specifically say that Harmony Gold was the "original creators". So the only option Harmony Gold has to avoid being sued is for them to completely reinvent Robotech from the ground up and not use anything from the original three series, which ironically is what made Robotech.

Personally, Sony should do a proper Macross movie with the original creators and give HG a friendly wave.
EvilOmar78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
I'm excited about this. I always thought Robo would make a good live action movie. I know that Carl was very particular about his Robotech and wouldn't let anyone else run with the show, but since he passed away a few years ago this probably gives people more room to be creative.

I'm one of the few people that liked Robotech more than Macross, I guess. But, I've read all the novels and comics. I don't see why they can't work with the Macross crew to make this into an amazing experience. Guardians of the Galaxy proved that you didn't have to be Star Wars or Star Trek to make a successful space movie. And I agree with Taylor, that Valkyrie Fan Project gave me some morning wood!
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote
This is could be seen so many lights. Another future failed project. Given Warner Brothers was willing to back 2007 effort. That effort murdered the animation reboot of series all together.

Bitter feelings on my end, let them do the project. Let fail in box office. Then you'll get devalued franchise they won't try anymore.

I'm sure unfortunately, Harmony Gold, who by large and large are legal copyright trolls made sure they were financially and legally protected from any fallout of this next attempt to make movie franchise.

I can see why Sony went with this, its only big-scifi franchise yet to be successfully tapped that "in there salesman minds" become next Star Wars. I personally don't think so. Let box office/Red Box decide out come, only then we'll know if HG will get black eye they so sorely deserve of pain they inflicted on the fan base their trying distance themselves from to start a new.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The entertainment trade news source Variety reported on Wednesday that Sony Pictures has acquired the live-action film rights to the Robotech property, and "views the project as a potential film franchise."

Is it me or everyone here forgot this part of the article?

This Robotech movie project doesn't seem predestined to become a straight adaptation of the original (whatever definition you give to the words adaptation and straight), but the exploitation of an existing franchise into another, new IP – at least, this is how I understand it...

In other words, Sony will not go head on against anyone, even if their lawyers are good enough to make BW/SN's sweat hard. Because they're smart and have plenty of ressources at disposal, I believe they'll try to reinvent Robotech, possibly in doing a fairly generic reinterpretation resulting into something similar to Pacific Rim and Battleship or even Transformers: bad aliens invade Earth, brave heroes ripost with transforming mechas – sueing onto this appears very unlikely, it's far too much commonplace.

And because they have high budgets for marketing and promotion, there is no reason that the public doesn't fall for it once again: I don't see why this project should fail more than any other recent blockbusters. As for the fans, of Macross or of Robotech, we all know the producers can't care less, so why expect something faithful to begin with?

My point is, we may finally get what some people want for a while now: a new Robotech, whatever meaning you give to "new" or to "Robotech" or even both...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
https://deadline.com/2015/03/star-trek-3-idris-elba-robotech-sony-michael-de-luca-1201398788/

• 1980s sci-fi anime series Robotech is being fast-tracked for the big screen by Sony. The studio acquired rights to the toon with an eye on developing it as a worldwide franchise.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Will this ever die, it was a compromised release back in the day, because of some stupid rules. But now we don't need or want it anymore.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
https://deadline.com/2015/03/star-trek-3-idris-elba-robotech-sony-michael-de-luca-1201398788/

• 1980s sci-fi anime series Robotech is being fast-tracked for the big screen by Sony. The studio acquired rights to the toon with an eye on developing it as a worldwide franchise.

The latter statement has a distinctly Harmony Gold filter to it.

That immediately invalidates all the "Who cares about the 80's series?" complaints, as that pretty well guarantees that's not what we're going to get. Rolling Eyes
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
As I expected, people talked less about the movie and more about how much they hate "Robotech." If you don't like it, don't effing watch it. I want Funimation or Viz to get the rights to "Shaman King," but you don't hear me whining about it. Unlike "Macross," most of the anime dubbed by 4Kids don't have an excuse not to get picked up by better companies. They've done nothing with the shows for years and 4Kids is practically dead.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
They just have a name. That's the issue here. They bought a name. Not the transforming F-14 designs, not the Zentraedi, not Minmei, nothing. All they have is a name.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
They just have a name. That's the issue here. They bought a name. Not the transforming F-14 designs, not the Zentraedi, not Minmei, nothing. All they have is a name.

Exactly. And for all we know, it could be a direct adaptation of "Macross," but just using the "Robotech" names.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Exactly. And for all we know, it could be a direct adaptation of "Macross," but just using the "Robotech" names.

They have the name Robotech but it cannot be a direct adaptation of Macross because the story, characters and mecha rights do not belong to Harmony Gold. Hence they couldn't have sold/license them to Sony.
I don't understand what's so difficult to grasp. HG has the rights only to the animation of the Macross 1982 Tv series. The painted cells that's it. Nothing more.

So what Sony will do is start a franchise called Robotech with none of elements that most Robotech fans like. No Minmei, no Hikaru Ichijo, No Misa Hayase, No Claudia LaSalle etc... No Valkyries, no Destroids no Zentran. No nothing.

It'll be a film like Pacific Rim. Giant robots, maybe even transformable robots but nothing that can be traced back to Macross.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
They have the name Robotech but it cannot be a direct adaptation of Macross because the story, characters and mecha rights do not belong to Harmony Gold. Hence they couldn't have sold/license them to Sony.
I don't understand what's so difficult to grasp. HG has the rights only to the animation of the Macross 1982 Tv series. The painted cells that's it. Nothing more.

HG has the rights to the name Robotech--which, after all, they made up themselves--and the generally associated story concept of transforming spaceships fighting some alien fleet, and maybe music playing some pivotal role in the strategy, that was an extension of the shows they licensed to dub.
Anything more specifically Macross than that--like which ships, who flies them, who they fight and which songs the Minmay-equivalent sings--is verboten without original permission, which is why they're allowed to make up new crap like Shadow Chronicles, and pretend they made it themselves, because, basically, they did.
And that, we can guess, is what they sold Sony. If it wasn't invented for the 80's dub, it legally doesn't exist.

HG's legal grasp of Robotech vs. Macross is rather like the Saban Sailor Moon, which had bought the name and merchandisable character designs, and was only allowed to make up crap that would legally fit within those frames.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6