• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime About the Performing Arts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
Idols are not counted as performing artists?

Other forgotten gems: Detroit Metal City (about death metal and probably best comedy anime ever), Nitaboh: Tsugaru Shamisen Shiso Gaibun (story of inventor of new shamisen playing style), Sero Hiki no Gōshu (Isao Takahata take on orchestral music and fairy tales).
TropicaliaSoup

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
Lots of stuff in this list that I want to check out. And I'm going to add to the chorus of Nodame lovers. Your Lie in April is really good melodrama but I'm personally more invested in stories like in Nodame Cantabile that I can relate to. Then again Your Lie in April is more visually interesting. I'd say it really comes down to how much I adore the characters in Nodame.
Cielito_Lindo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Cielito_Lindo wrote:
What about Nodame Cantabile??? Perhaps I'm too old...
That was the first one I thought of as well. The whole list could have been filled with shows involving music, so I understand the rationale for keeping it, K-ON, Kids on the Slope, BECK, etc. off.

I FORGOT ABOUT BECK OMG - you're right, both BECK and Kids on the Slope should have made it here.
SnowCentaur

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Are only TV shows and movies can be nominated, or OVAs as well?
If so, I would like to commend Mitsuwano (about 3 Maiko-in-training girls learning how to perform the traditional Kyōto dance, called odori) and Aki no Kanade (taiko drumming)

About the Survey:

In the end I chose Accelerator's ability, but I was unsure between that and the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception (both Kara no Kyōkai's Ryōgi Shiki and Tsukihime's Tōno Shiki possess this ability; grants its user the ability to see the "Life Line" of anything - buildings, cars, people, poisoned parts - and cut them).

Thank you, I came here to ask for a taiko anime, and you had already posted one Very Happy Have to watch it sometime.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
This is a pretty good list,but there are a lot of performing arts anime that weren't included on this list like "Kaliedo Star." Although,it was used last week,this would have been far more appropriate on this list than the other one.
Fuzzy Proxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
I still keep wishing the second season of Glass Mask wold get released on DVD Crying or Very sad

You and me both. I marathoned the 2005 version last year on Crunchyroll, and was sad when I found out that the first half sold so poorly that they wouldn't release the second. It's a shame, since a lot of the most dramatic content happens in that second half.

Moroboshi-san wrote:
Idols are not counted as performing artists?

Idols could probably get an entire column all on their own, and music in general does have a slot in Your Lie in April (despite the obvious musical style differences).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Other forgotten gems: Detroit Metal City (about death metal and probably best comedy anime ever)

(That's a bold claim from someone with an Ataru Moroboshi avatar...)
thofheinz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely have dropped NANA into that list, not so much as a show filled with music but as a story shaped by a kind of music and its impact on the people living its lifestyle.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
because of this article i checked out your lie in april as the manga is also coming out this month from kodansha USA and had slipped under my radar. its now on my wishlist having now seen a few episodes of the anime.
aisuru113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
Since when is Kabuki ancient? Its old for sure and defiantly old for arts accessible to the common citizen but its not ancient. Bugaku is ancient though no one in their right minds would make an anime about it.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm also in the large group of fans waiting for Sentai Filmworks to release the second half of Glass Mask. Alas, it'll come out when the manga does (which is probably never).

It's such a shame, as the second half is overall better than the first. Sad
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:

I'm also in the large group of fans waiting for Sentai Filmworks to release the second half of Glass Mask. Alas, it'll come out when the manga does (which is probably never).

It's such a shame, as the second half is overall better than the first. Sad

That's always the peril of "it gets better later on" motif - there may not be a chance for "later on" if they don't make the "early on" good enough to grab enough buyers.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Chappers wrote:
Since this seems like a good time to ask, and the article didn't answer my wonderings, have there ever been any anime in which opera plays a part (pun not intended)?

One feels the two would actually go together rather well, considering that both thrive on particularly dramatic storytelling, well-worn tropes, and so on (and the interest being as much in the execution of the idea as the quality of the idea in the first place). I just don't think I've ever seen, or heard of, something that came anywhere near opera, whereas for ballet, for example, Princess Tutu is utterly immersed in it.

Nodame has a character who's an opera singer, but she only shows up a couple of times.

For the record, the only thing Your Lie in April has over Nodame is that it's the more recent of the two, and that shouldn't be a judging factor. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3