• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Gen Fukunaga: Tokyo Ghoul Season 3 Set for 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Ferax wrote:
i feel bad for the mangaka men getting his work butchered for a 3rd time

Uhhh... but Root A was specifically written by Ishida Sui as a sort of alternative version of the story. Literally he wrote it that way
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Ferax wrote:
i feel bad for the mangaka men getting his work butchered for a 3rd time

Uhhh... but Root A was specifically written by Ishida Sui as a sort of alternative version of the story. Literally he wrote it that way

Actually, he didn't. It was promoted that way, but that's not how it actually happened. Last month, it was revealed that Ishida wrote a several hundred page draft of how he wanted Root A to go, but Pierrot basically threw it away and did their own thing.

I don't have a link to the drafts, but I know you can find them really easily.
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

I don't have a link to the drafts, but I know you can find them really easily.
Right here:http://imgur.com/a/DW1C2
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:

Oh hey, those were revealed several months ago. Didn't know about those.

I was actually talking about the ones from a few weeks ago. I found some of them here. http://sunset-tower.tumblr.com/post/129424575942/thank-you-so-much-for-you-post-about-the-anime
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Oh hey, those were revealed several months ago. Didn't know about those.

I was actually talking about the ones from a few weeks ago. I found some of them here. http://sunset-tower.tumblr.com/post/129424575942/thank-you-so-much-for-you-post-about-the-anime
Ah i didn't know more got leaked. It's really sad when you consider what could've been. Again if people enjoyed the second season more power to them, but for the vast majority of the fanbase it was awful. Am all up for original routes, so long as they're good. In this case it was just plain old lazy.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't the second season all anime original content after an anime original ending of the first season? I guess with how popular this series is, a third season shouldn't be surprising. But how is this going to work?
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
If Tokyo Ghoul season 3 is really happening, I'm curious as to what exactly are they going to do with it. Both seasons skipped and changed a lot of the content from the manga and if season 3 is based off of TG:RE, the current arc involving Tsukiyama is gonna make zero sense since the anime cut out his character development.

Unless season 3 has an original story, then oooooh boy. I'll just wait for more information about this before I pass my judgement, but I'm hoping it won't be anything like Root A.

Last edited by Z-Raid on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Fort starters some of you need to calm down a bit. Also, please refrain from the "fixed" misquoting of other people's posts routine. It's very disingenuous and honestly just downright rude. Either quote someone properly or leave their post alone.

Speaking of quoting 810704 and ThatGuyWhoLikesThings can you please watch the excessive quoting? You guys were going 4 and 5 quotes deep with your posts. I edited them for you. You can see our policy on excessive/over quoting here. Thank you.
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
[
Actually, he didn't. It was promoted that way, but that's not how it actually happened. Last month, it was revealed that Ishida wrote a several hundred page draft of how he wanted Root A to go, but Pierrot basically threw it away and did their own thing.

And Pierrot said that they wanted to do a faithful adaptation but the higher ups (the manga publishers) didn't want to, so they did root A with Ishida instead.
people blaming Pierrot for nothing, smh
chito895

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
BWLJ wrote:

As a stand alone thing the anime is pretty good (...) The only thing I could see as pissing people off would be that season one ended without completing an arc. But even that was just a cliffhanger.

What I really didn't like about this adaptation is that it couldn't stand as a solid anime for ANIME only viewers like me. It just threw so many elements and questions and left them unsolved. Characters were not developed at all (it literally forgot about Touka and Kaneki and most of Anteiku during Root A). The focus went to the CCG agents, and there were lots of them, most of them were not that important to the story.

Then, who was Rise? What happened to her? Is she alive? Who is Arima? Who are those mummy-masked girls? Tsukiyama ended up being a burden instead of another character. And then that cliffhanger at the end of Root A. Although that season finale was incredible good as a stand-alone episode, it was not a good ending for the series, and for the second time they ended up in a really bad note.

I checked the drafts that Ishida sensei wrote for Root A, and seriously, they sounded amazing and would've resolved very good problems I had with Root A, like Rise and the development for Kaneki.

I'll check the manga to solve these problems and get the development I wanted since Root A started (and thanks to this reviewer from YouTube, I know I won't be disappointed), but a good adaption would've solved them without me going check the original source.

Anyway, I'd like to see a new season. Fortunately, if it's true that there's going to be a new one, my problems may disappear.
roserocksrapidly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love Tokyo Ghoul, all I can do is cringe at the thought of a third season. They've already fucked it up enough, making a third season is just digging the series' grave.
macattack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Uh . . . sorry to be the bearer of bad news here.

https://twitter.com/Rialisms/status/653412130364854272
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:

As far as our newsteam can tell, the press release with Gen Fukunaga's quote that we used as the source for this article isn't a "satire article." The press release is linked to directly from GameSamba's website, and GameSamba's Twitter and Facebook accounts also link directly to that press release with Fukunaga's quote. Additionally, when we contacted Funimation regarding the quote they did not tell us that the press release was fake or satire.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
macattack wrote:

As far as our newsteam can tell, the press release with Gen Fukunaga's quote that we used as the source for this article isn't a "satire article." The press release is linked to directly from GameSamba's website, and GameSamba's Twitter and Facebook accounts also link directly to that press release with Fukunaga's quote. Additionally, when we contacted Funimation regarding the quote they did not tell us that the press release was fake or satire.
you can say what you want ANN but the facts are there,Monica Rial said no season 3 how you going to fix this ?
xMemorie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
Cunning Linguist wrote:
xMemorie wrote:
Pierrot... please don't... just give it to Madhouse... please.

Madhouse would probably be worse, they'd do one season and make fans worldwide lose all hope for a 2nd.

If anything give it to a dedicated studio like JC Staff or David Production

First of all, Madhouse stays true to the raw material and adapts properly. Second is, the Tokyo Ghoul manga is already finished and knowing Madhouse, they would just adapt everything in one season with estimately 60-70 episodes. My third point is, dedication doesn't mean quality. JC Staff is an average studio, with average animation, even though they stay true to the content, this studio and Tokyo Ghoul wouldn't fit together. As for David Production, I can't say much about it. I tried to get into Jojo, but dropped after the 6th episode. It just wasn't for me. To get to the point, I'd say Madhouse, Production IG, or Bones would be the best studios for Tokyo Ghoul.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4