• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime DVDs More Expensive Than Western Animation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
I took just economics in my senior year of high school, and it covered this. You know how they say as the price falls, more will buy, or as the price goes higher, less will buy? If there's inelastic demand, it means no matter what the price, about the same people will buy it. Like one thing people have an inelastic demand for is gas, no matter how high the price goes up, people still buy it because they need it. Groceries are another thing people have inelastic demand for, as the price goes up or down, sales don't dramatically increase.
And if those examples throw you (what if you drive less/slower, or eat more Cup Noodle and less steak?), consider Super Bowl tickets. You can't make more money by selling them cheaper, because there are only so many seats in the stadium, and there's no real competing product (if you want to see the Super Bowl, a World Series ticket is not an alternative). So jack up the price until you can't sell out, then drop the cheap seats by a dollar...

Anime is similar. Drop the price to a quarter, and my parents still won't buy a Bakemonogatari box set.

Anime is also dissimilar, in that I've never seen Robert or Shawne buzz by in a Bugatti, nor have I seen Funimation or Sentai's corporate jets landing at MSP (nor even Kyoto Animation's, or Aniplex of America's). Super Bowl ticket prices may fund ridiculous $20-million athlete salaries, but anime just seems to fund other working schmucks like me.

Mikurotoro wrote:
wouldn't a big factor in this be that anime has to be imported from japan so the price is to cover the shipping costs whereas cartoons don't have to be imported? however i do think it would be interesting to see how it is the other way around like how expensive cartoon DVD's are in japan!

That has no effect on licensed shows; they aren't shipping the material over 1 disc at a time from Japan; it just gets sent once. (Heck, they might just send it all electronically, though that can be more expensive & time-consuming than putting a hard disk drive on a plane, if you're sending enough data. The company I work for has to ship large amounts of engineering data to our customers, and it's courier-carried encrypted HDDs. Internet is too slow.)

Funi's BluRays are pretty much all stamped "disc made in Mexico," so shipping costs and import duties are apparently insignificant compared to labor and materials costs.

And you can compare prices between amazon.com and amazon.co.jp, if you're curious. (Example: Disney's Frozen, $25 in USA (marked down from $45, heh), 3480Y in Japan. 3480Y ~= $28).
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
wmderemer wrote:

I remember working in a Suncoast store in the 1990's and having to watch the disappointment on people's faces as we told them the new release that just came out that day on VHS that we didn't have in stock that they wanted us to order would cost them $100+...or they could check back in about 6 months time & it should be available at a realistic price. Wink

Ah, another former Suncoast worker. Those were the days heh. I remember being the customer in the early 90's with my parents. Then later I got to be on the other side of the counter telling people the same thing when dvd's started replacing the vhs tapes heh. I will say once dvd's took over that employee discount got me a lot of anime and imported heavy metal cd's.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
Personally I find the Anime DVD/blu-ray prices in North America pretty reasonable especially the Limited Edition DVD/blu-ray combo pack from Funimation an entire 12 episode series for 69.99 is a bargain compared to Japan and if you really look around the Internet you can find said series for 45 bucks or less So it's all good ITS ALL GOOD!!! Cool
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Initially VHS tapes of recent movie releases were all high priced, in the $70 to $90 range. Most were sold to video rental stores which seemed to pop up on every block. When Tomb Raider came out on tape they decided to try a much lower price point. It reportedly sold so well that it became obvious that for main stream stuff this was the way to go.

Don't you mean Top Gun? I remember that one was an early priced-to-own VHS tape, although I was only around 12 when it first got released on VHS so I can't say I was paying all that much attention to VHS prices at the time.

Actually, at the time, most of the movies we "owned" were just taped off First Choice (the precursor to Canada' Movie Network) on free preview weekends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
If it's Top Gun, then that makes a lot more sense. I was born in the mid-80's, so my movie-watching began in the early 90's.

mangamuscle wrote:
Nowadays is no different, grab any anime disc you have bought and in the fine print in the back cover it will say it is for domestic use only, further down it will say you have no right to use it to copy, edit, recruit, lend or public exposure (as in, any anime convention).

Oh yeah, that made me think about how even when you're screening something for a school, you have to get permission. I'm sure there are a ton of cases of doing it secretly though. I doubt Disney gets much money from every math class showing Donald Duck in Mathmagicland every year.

I did have a class in college where anime was screened on a biweekly basis, and it was done under the table like that though. No one complained. We got to see Paranoia Agent!

ShanaFan852 wrote:
I took just economics in my senior year of high school, and it covered this. You know how they say as the price falls, more will buy, or as the price goes higher, less will buy? If there's inelastic demand, it means no matter what the price, about the same people will buy it. Like one thing people have an inelastic demand for is gas, no matter how high the price goes up, people still buy it because they need it. Groceries are another thing people have inelastic demand for, as the price goes up or down, sales don't dramatically increase.

Okay, the phrase "inelastic demand" makes sense then. Anime must be on the other side from gasoline or groceries then: Whereas many people will buy gasoline or groceries regardless of the price, few people will buy anime regardless of the price.

wmderemer wrote:
Yup, Alan nailed it.

Basically, VHS tapes were 'rental' priced ($100+ each) to discourage your average Joe Six-Pack from buying it outright, and rather, going to his local video store to rent it instead as part of an agreement between the studios & video rental stores. You could then either buy a discounted, previously-viewed VHS from said rental store a few months down the road, or finally buy it outright, new, at a regular price a few months after even that...it was generally 6 months after it was released to rental that the movie made it out to retail at a $20 or so pricetag

If the consumer could buy the new-release movie for $20 or less, like they can now, why the hell would they go to a store & rent it?

I remember working in a Suncoast store in the 1990's and having to watch the disappointment on people's faces as we told them the new release that just came out that day on VHS that we didn't have in stock that they wanted us to order would cost them $100+...or they could check back in about 6 months time & it should be available at a realistic price. Wink

Huh, I was completely unaware of that system. The $100+ tapes...were they advertised in any way? I always assumed, from that age until now, that companies would just release a tape about 8 months to one year after a movie came out for $20 or so. I figured that people would go out to rent a tape because it was $5 to rent, a quarter of the price of buying the tape. That being said, the local video rental stores never seemed to have any releases ahead of time--by the time they appeared in the New Releases section of these Blockbusters, they're already at $20 to buy. Or is L.A. special due to its proximity to Hollywood and it bypasses the $100+ system completely? (I never actually visited a video rental store until about 1994 though.)

My father preferred to record everything off of TV though, which I guess is the next tier down in price, quality, and wait time. I think the only movie he ever actually owned a non-TV-recording tape of was Jurassic Park, and that was partially for me. (It was obtained for $5 where most other places had it for the usual $20, and the tape quality was terrible, so maybe it was a bootleg.)
CR85747

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Oh yeah, that made me think about how even when you're screening something for a school, you have to get permission. I'm sure there are a ton of cases of doing it secretly though. I doubt Disney gets much money from every math class showing Donald Duck in Mathmagicland every year.

Disney actually has a division that sells videos to schools, and one of the titles is indeed Donald Duck in Mathmagicland.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
Justin is right about Maoyuu not fairing well because, according to someanithing.com, it averaged 2912 units with a total of 3514, including re-releases. t brought in about $943,434.14.
geishageek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Brand wrote:

I think the thing here is with streaming you can watch all those one and done series and not have to buy them. As you know back in the day if you wanted to watch a series you just had to take the chance on it and buy it (or maybe borrow it from a friend). Now you can watch it first and then if you really like it buy it. But I am going to guess most people watch a series only once. So, no need to buy DVDs.

Not sure if that was a thing. Before our recent streaming age, you usually watched your TV show on TV/Cable, and then decided to buy it if you were a fan. Some may have bought the DVD before watching the show, but I would have thought that would be the exception and not the rule. Who knows though, I could be completely wrong..

This was not how it worked for me and I am sure for many others as well. The only anime exposure we had was on Toonami, Sci-Fi's Saturday morning anime block and some older Nickelodeon titles that they never advertised as anime, or if you were lucky, knew someone who had or could get vhs fansub tapes at the time dvds became big. If you wanted more than what was currently airing on those channels, you had to go to places like Suncoast and my favorite Media Play and just pick stuff off shelves that looked interesting. Media play had a whole corner section dedicated to anime at the time so there was plenty to choose from.

Blind buying in the days before digital fansubs and streaming (the bad old dial up Aol days) are a huge reason my collection is a large as it is. I would go into Media Play and spend hours reading the backs of discs to see if something piqued my interest. And each time I would go back to pick up a new volume of something I already purchased, I would add new titles as I went along, usually spending way more money than I wanted in the process. Embarassed
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
@Tenchi

Tomb Raider was the first title I noticed and did get some press at being so cheap. I have no idea about Top Gun, as a former Navy officer I had less than no interest in that show. Laughing

@leafy sea dragon

The two tier system eventually broke down. That may be what you saw or it may have been that LA was special. Keep in mind that US studios were balancing US theater release, foreign theater release, possible prime time TV screening, rental release and home video release. There may have been other formats as well. I suspect some of their scheduling people may have gone bat shit crazy trying to figure how to get the most money out of the process. Shocked

I'm losing it. It was Raiders of The Lost Arc I was thinking of, not Tomb Raiders. Embarassed

Last edited by Alan45 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
This answer begs the question, what will happen as anime becomes more mainstream? ATM The 7 deadly sins is a hit in netflix and like other netflix exclusives, it will be released in disc, probably next year. I bet it will be sold at Target, Walmart and similar mainstream outlets for a price similar to western produced animation series and chances are the company to get the disc distribution rights will not be one that specializes in anime. Something similar has already happen with Jojo season 1, which was released by warner home video. Of course I could be wrong, we are living in interesting times.

Anime is several parsecs away from becoming that "mainstream". 7DeadlySin's success and Warner's JoJo release aren't quite major indicators of being "mainstream". (IIRC, the latter only happened because Warner Japan was involved with the JoJo anime.)
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Huh, I was completely unaware of that system. The $100+ tapes...were they advertised in any way? I always assumed, from that age until now, that companies would just release a tape about 8 months to one year after a movie came out for $20 or so. I figured that people would go out to rent a tape because it was $5 to rent, a quarter of the price of buying the tape. That being said, the local video rental stores never seemed to have any releases ahead of time--by the time they appeared in the New Releases section of these Blockbusters, they're already at $20 to buy. Or is L.A. special due to its proximity to Hollywood and it bypasses the $100+ system completely? (I never actually visited a video rental store until about 1994 though.)

Wholesaler catalogs. My Mom was an early adapter/collector of VHS movies in the 80s, and she used to get those in the mail. They were always promoting the latest "first time on video" releases that were coming out, so you'd see something like King Kong or 2001: A Space Odyssey on the front cover being advertised for like $99.95 or whatever the new release price was. Those were the releases targeting the video stores. And a year later that same release would be down to $29.95 or $19.95, and that's when Mom would buy the ones she wanted.

It may also interest you to know that a similar "dual price point" model still exists today with e-books. I work for a public library, and the way e-books work in the library world is that we buy a certain number of licenses to a title, just like we'd buy a certain number of physical books. So if we buy ten licenses for an e-book then ten of our customers can have that e-book borrowed at a time; everyone else has to wait until one of them gets "returned". And to buy a hot bestseller the publishers typically charge us around $75-$100 per license, versus the $10-$15 you as a private customer would pay to buy it for your Kindle (and unlike the video store we're lending it to you for free, so we're not going to make up that cost). And lest you think that since it's electronic we'll have it forever once we've paid, we don't. Most of the ebook publishers only allow libraries a set number of checkouts per license (typically around 25-30), and after that we have to pay again if we want to keep it available for people. We don't pay overinflated prices for any other types of materials - in fact, we can usually get books and DVDs from specialized library vendors for less than retail price since we buy them in bulk. It's just the electronic items, ebooks and e-audiobooks, that are so expensive.

Last edited by WingKing on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
CasCrow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
I actually seen Tokyo Ghoul manga in the Insirational Christian section of my Walmart. I was surprised and found it pretty funny.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:

It may also interest you to know that a similar "dual price point" model still exists today with e-books. I work for a public library, and the way e-books work in the library world is that we buy a certain number of licenses to a title, just like we'd buy a certain number of physical books. So if we buy ten licenses for an e-book then ten of our customers can have that e-book borrowed at a time; everyone else has to wait until one of them gets "returned". And to buy a hot bestseller the publishers typically charge us around $75-$100 per license, versus the $10-$15 you as a private customer would pay to buy it for your Kindle (and unlike the video store we're lending it to you for free, so we're not going to make up that cost). And lest you think that since it's electronic we'll have it forever once we've paid, we don't. Most of the ebook publishers only allow libraries a set number of checkouts per license (typically around 25-30), and after that we have to pay again if we want to keep it available for people. We don't pay overinflated prices for any other types of materials - in fact, we can usually get books and DVDs from specialized library vendors for less than retail price since we buy them in bulk. It's just the electronic items, ebooks and e-audiobooks, that are so expensive.

I never knew libraries had to pay so much money for ebooks! That's ridiculous! And audiobooks in general are expensive no matter how you get them. I'm visually impaired, and it's very hard to get decently priced new audiobooks--CDs and downloads seem to be priced at a premium, and Audible costs $14.99/mo just for the subscription fee, which only gets you one audiobook a month. If you want any more, you have to pay for it separately. Libraries are great, but only for a limited amount of time, which always seems too short for books that can be 30+ hours long.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Quote:
The less nerdy parts of the DVD/BD sales landscape is a little behind in transforming to a collector's market, but in a few years, they may look more like the anime market: slightly higher prices, and more limited editions, aimed at collectors.

Hope not. It would be a sad day.

You're telling me. I've been shelling out a small fortune for anime bluray/dvds lately (most of them on sale). Last thing I need is them jacking the price up even more for collector's editions that I don't want.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Personally I find the Anime DVD/blu-ray prices in North America pretty reasonable especially the Limited Edition DVD/blu-ray combo pack from Funimation an entire 12 episode series for 69.99 is a bargain compared to Japan and if you really look around the Internet you can find said series for 45 bucks or less So it's all good ITS ALL GOOD!!! Cool

Funimation does bluray/DVD sales right. "Buy this series on Blu-Ray and get the DVD version for little to no extra cost!" They know how to sell their products the right way, versus someone like Aniplex which will charge the same price for Blu-Ray exclusive only (I know someone said I should be grateful for the "cheaper" prices here in the US but when it costs me $135 for Madoka Magica on Blu-ray ON SALE, that's ridiculous for twelve episodes of anything).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4