• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 84% of Japanese College Students Have Never Read Dragon Ball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If the poll is anonymous, then there's no reason to hide.

That is a very native english spèaker thing "Oh, it is anonymous, then I will tell you everything" Shocked

Quote:
Plus DB is an all-ages icon now, like One Piece - nobody would shame anyone who has read it.

I do not think so, even here in the west you will not give the latest DBZ movie as a present to an adult unless you know the recipient is a big fan, unlike say, the latest Avengers movie, which could be a nice present for your average adult. One Piece is in a category by itself, beyond even DB at its prime.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

That is a very native english spèaker thing "Oh, it is anonymous, then I will tell you everything" Shocked

Quote:
Plus DB is an all-ages icon now, like One Piece - nobody would shame anyone who has read it.

I do not think so, even here in the west you will not give the latest DBZ movie as a present to an adult unless you know the recipient is a big fan, unlike say, the latest Avengers movie, which could be a nice present for your average adult. One Piece is in a category by itself, beyond even DB at its prime.

Maybe in Japan but I definitely wouldn't give a manga volume of either DB or One Piece to your average adult in another country. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Then again I wouldn't give them the latest Avengers movie either. Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The demand for Dragon Ball's still around here. A couple of years ago, I donated volumes 1 to 16 of Dragon Ball (the Viz versions, with 1-8 pre-censored) to a thrift shop. They were priced at $2 each, and the next day, they were all gone.

Thatguy3331 wrote:
I'm sure years later will come down the line and the same thing will happen to Naruto and One Piece, sure they'll be remembered but it'll be in an entirely different context like me knowing of the Peanuts or something like that. It's was the big reason why as much as I hated the notion of "the big 3" I was really interested in seeing what would replace them since they're practically dying out (yes make your One Piece will go on to the end of time jokes but while I like it I feel like it's lost it's relevancy having become a franchise vehicle looking outside of the manga.)

I'm particuarly concerned that One Piece will fall to the same fate, especially its monstrous length with seemingly no end in sight. At least The Simpsons and Sazae-san are episodic and you can jump in and leave anywhere you want.

mangamuscle wrote:
Maybe they should have thrown them a curve and asked instead what a Piccolo is.

It's a woodwind musical instrument.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how often Dragon Ball anime airs in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was an episode of DB in syndication every day. Not much of an incentive to read the manga at that point.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Araki wrote:
Lyzee goes on to claim Dragon Ball isn't that big anymore. Well, check out Toei/Bandai last financial reports, and the last movie box office, and come back again..

I made no such claim. The only claims made is that younger generations aren't interested in Dragon Ball (i.e. it' s no longer a 'gateway' anime) and apparently the older generation didn't pass the series on to their kids.

Obviously the show is still big, just not with the college-age demographic.

Ignoring that Dragon Ball had a fairly faithful and very popular TV adaptation (thus eliminating the necessity to seek out the manga), I don't think that's at all true. If you were originally a child when Dragon Ball was in serialization (1984-1995), you'd be in your mid/late-20s to mid/late-30s now. Today's Japanese college students aren't the children of those kids.

Яeverse wrote:
Dragonball is pretty old and only appeals to old people its not relevant or good enough to be read over Naruto to people of this gen. Kishimoto reinvinted the genre and did more than Toriyama has done so its clear why people wouldnt be into Dragonball manga in 2015.

Rolling Eyes

Dragon Ball's manga ended 20 years ago, so it not being as relevant today as it was in 1993 isn't news, but I guarantee you that Dragon Ball is more relevant today than Naruto will be in 20 years. Why? That series has sold worse than Dragon Ball despite running for 30 volumes longer and coming at a time when manga was far more popular in the west. Its TV adaptation universally receives lower viewership in both Japan and North America. Other than a period in the late 00s, its video games sold worse than Dragon Ball ones. Even the theatrical features make less money.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm in college and I've never read the Dragon ball manga but I have watched the entire Anime series including Kai and GT but even I agree 400 students is a low number they should have asked more. Confused
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What are they even teaching in colleges these days?!

One Piece

I guess they should ask a question of how many read One Piece. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I do not think so, even here in the west you will not give the latest DBZ movie as a present to an adult unless you know the recipient is a big fan, unlike say, the latest Avengers movie, which could be a nice present for your average adult.

The Avengers is not considered to be a good present for a 50 year old in the west. A professor of mine said that these days Hollywood does not make adult movies anymore instead they make that superhero garbage, which are not the kind of movies adults are interested in. My mother who is in her 50's is of the same opinion. I actually agree partially with them, though I wouldn't say that old Hollywood blockbuster movies were adult either (well, the Godfather is more "adult" apparently).

While it is very common in Japan for adults to read Shounen Jump. The massive sales of Shounen manga point out for its cross demographic reach.

Quote:
One Piece is in a category by itself, beyond even DB at its prime.

Not really DB sold more per volume and DB was in Shounen Jump when the magazine was selling 6 million copies per week. Now it sells half of that and declining, hence Dragon Ball was happening at the exact peak of manga popularity (before videogames and internet destroyed the manga market) and also during Japan's peak in relative economic influence, hence explaining its international influence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Mr. Nescio wrote:
This seems to be a very common misconspection of how sample sizes work.

Briefly, if the statistical population is large is compared to the sample size, it is not usually a problem at all to statistics. In the many simple cases, like a series of coin flips, the statistical population is actually infinite (you can flip a theoretical coin infinitely many times), but you can still infer about the fairness of the coin with a finite amount of flips, e.g. much less than 400 flips.

Yeah and also power and large enough sample size (too lazy to check power) but I do agree with what youre saying and I doubt theyd need to or if itd be feasible to even get 1% of the entire population (actually how would they even define college population and recruit all of them in a survey).

Dragonball is pretty old and only appeals to old people its not relevant or good enough to be read over Naruto to people of this gen. Kishimoto reinvinted the genre and did more than Toriyama has done so its clear why people wouldnt be into Dragonball manga in 2015.

Sure a small sample size is "usable" to predict trends, but the bigger the sample the more accurate the statistic. How would you know how many students are enrolled in university in Japan? Easy, Universities do have statistics about that. Just a quick google search told me that there are over 110,000 students enrolled in just three universities in Tokyo (Waseda, Keio, Meiji). And that's just one city, which already has[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Tokyo"] a buttload of universities[/url]. How can an extremely negligible sample of 400 people (and we don't even know in which university or region the poll was conducted) which is a lot less than even 1% of the student body of just ONE city, be considered representative of the entire generation. Both the title and the claim that "DB is no longer really relevant among college students" when your sample is so extremely negligible.

Consider an election poll in which 400 people were asked who they'll vote for and 330 answer conservative candidate A, while 70 said liberal candidate B. Would you see a newspaper claiming A already has the election in the bag with such an insignificant sample? I'm not saying they need to ask every college student out there, but this poll's sample group is too small for the results to be remotely meaningful or indicative of any trend

I'd also say the coin flipping analogy doesn't really make sense for this case because a coin flip is completely random, there is nothing that can determine whether the coin will go one way or the other, while things pertaining human opinion are heavily dependent on a lot of variable. In the election example, you'll likely get radically different results if you ask 400 people in a conservative neighborhood than if you do it in a liberal neighborhood/ a rich neighborhood vs a poor one/ a mono-ethnical neighborhood vs a multiethnical one and so forth.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Have ya been to anonymous J-web boards? Laughing

(Besides, this is just a simple poll, not everything for anonymous.)

mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

The west doesn't matter in this poll. DB is an icon in Japan; say you love it and don't worry about it.

CrowLia wrote:

I'd also say the coin flipping analogy doesn't really make sense for this case because a coin flip is completely random, there is nothing that can determine whether the coin will go one way or the other, while things pertaining human opinion are heavily dependent on a lot of variable. In the election example, you'll likely get radically different results if you ask 400 people in a conservative neighborhood than if you do it in a liberal neighborhood/ a rich neighborhood vs a poor one/ a mono-ethnical neighborhood vs a multiethnical one and so forth.

We don't know how they did this poll, if it's random. The sample size would be covered by the margin of error.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Considering the pool of participants, these results are rather dismissable. 84% sure sounds like a lot, but when you're asking only 400 people it's a rather useless statistic. I don't think that amount is even 1% of the Japanese college population

You should get acquainted with the theory of inferential statistics before spouting nonsense.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I take a more pedagogical attitude than Cptn_Taylor above, but I have to say your tone is rather confident despite your (I think apparent) lack of knowledge on the subject.

If you are not satisfied with the example coin flips (note that you didn't give a relevant justification for dismissing the example), consider the field psychology, which is interested in the human mind. Experimental psychologists often work with sample sizes that can be a lot less than 400, which is of course a minuscule amount compared to the population of the world. Moreover, one doesn't need to equate the statistical population of interest with the human population of the world, as there can be theoretically an infinite amount of humans. This means that, like in the coin flip example, the proportion (sample size/size of the statistical population) is zero. Despite these considerations, psychologists (and other users of statistics) still get things done.

I still have arguments left, but I hope this is enough to convince you.

CrowLia wrote:
In the election example, you'll likely get radically different results if you ask 400 people in a conservative neighborhood than if you do it in a liberal neighborhood/ a rich neighborhood vs a poor one/ a mono-ethnical neighborhood vs a multiethnical one and so forth.
That is true, but the problem of taking representative samples shouldn't be confused with the point I'm trying to convey.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
I've watched all of DBZ, DB, and DBGT. I own all of DBZ and DB. I have never read even one chapter of the Dragonball manga. I'm sure it isn't the case everywhere, especially in Japan, but in the U.S. anime viewers trumps manga readers by at least a 4:1 margin.
If they had asked who had at least seen an episode of the DBZ anime they probably would've gotten 50%-60% positive responses.
xzy123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
it look like just milking the series to me of course. In June 2013 they just happen to releasing new 3-in-1 volumes of first part in Japanese
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
@Mr Nescio I did explain why I thought the coin flipping example was not appropriate:

Quote:
I'd also say the coin flipping analogy doesn't really make sense for this case because a coin flip is completely random, there is nothing that can determine whether the coin will go one way or the other, while things pertaining human opinion are heavily dependent on a lot of variable.

It's true that I am not very well-versed in terms of statistics, but my general point is that the sample is too small to make definitive claims about whether or not DB is still an influential series among college students, which is what the wording of the title and the article indicate
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4