• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Feb 26-Mar 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
Quote:
If I discard the term 'hype' and use 'popularity' (I don't really know the difference to begin with, but let's please not get into that), I'd say most popular is those with most views.

Hype is someone telling us that a show is "really good" and that we should be watching it. It usually starts with the company that produced it but includes people who come to the forums to say that.

Popularity is people watching a show and saying to themselves "that was really good I liked it and want more".

The advertorial from Crunchyroll about Erased is hype. People watching a show and rating it high is popularity.

The number of views of a first episode probably reflect hype. The number of views week to week would reflect popularity, but only if availability is the same. Someone who rates a show every week has already decided that the show is popular enough with them to warrant continued watching so the ups and downs likely reflect different elements.

I should note that you and others coming here and saying Rakugo is a good show is a form of hype, though likely not very effective.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
I find the diagram extremely convoluted, it's very hard to trace back the ranking of a show. Wouldn't it be possible to work some JavaScript/HTML5 magic to highlight the progress of the show the course is currently on? I image that's not too hard, and it would tremendously help.
crx07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Wait a minute. Haruchika went up fourteen places in the weekly ranking but stayed completely level in the cumulative ranking? The heck? You would think such an amazing week would cause it to climb at least one spot on the overall standings . . .

I'm sure the maths is solid but to a layman these results are just weird. I can't wrap my head around them.

It makes no sense to me either. ... No idea how the averages work, frankly don't care either as this just seems more over the place than the NHL Super 16 rankings in Sports.

HaruChika went up 14 places from ep 8 to ep 9 and the weekly ranking is still the same. HaruChika went down 10 places from ep 7 to ep 8 yet its weekly ranking increased by 1.
Laymen can easily make sense on the episode rankings. But it is safer for laymen not to make sense on the cumulative ratings too much, especially that its movements don't seem to makes sense. It is better to just enjoy the trends on the cumulative ratings since (I assume with bias) it is statistically crappy to take it seriously.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
@ Blackiris: Click on the show's number and the line for that show will turn black. If you have your window zoomed though, nothing matches up, so be sure to view at 100%.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3