• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Handa-kun

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peebs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Peebs wrote:
Was Hirayama an adult? A student? I prayed and prayed it was a student. I've seen students depicted in anime/manga as the ones in charge of a school library. I'm not sure if the manga makes the distinction clearer, but by the end she looked like an adult. And that makes her obsession and romantic focus on Handa so wrong. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet, much less the reviewer.
Definitely a student:

1. Her shirt and skirt are the same style as the school uniform, even if the skirt is noticeably longer than those of the other girls.
2. She mentions at the start of the segment that she only does library duty during lunch breaks and after classes.
3. The members of the Handa Force (and, in one line, Handa himself) talk to her like to a peer rather than an adult: using "kimi" as the second person pronoun, dropping the polite desu/masu, etc. Might not be out of character for Tsutsui to talk to an adult that way, but it would be for the others. Plus, Kondō would have likely called her out on crushing on a student if she were an actual staff member.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I miss a lot of stuff, obviously. I did look at her skirt in the ED and it looked different from the other girls' skirt color. I may be misremembering now since it's been over a week, and this past week we got a different ED.

Speaking of ED, I loved how they changed it to the Shiro High kids. Double points if anybody realized the VA for Ichimiya also sings the ED song. I think it would've a nice twist for Ichimiya to find the same Handa doll on the floor.
Silver4000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy that they decided to adapt the manga (bishoujo) club episode, that scene with the figurine really is the best. And who would know that a normal guy could be one of the most interesting characters, probably because everyone else is weird.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Dat beard. Shocked Have we been told why he's been growing it?

Kawafuji might be growing a conscience, but if so, it's too late to redeem him for me, though the series doesn't seem to hate him as I do and will probably try.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Kawafuji might be growing a conscience, but if so, it's too late to redeem him for me, though the series doesn't seem to hate him as I do and will probably try.

That's exactly how I feel about Kawafuji. He should be way more remorseful about what he did to his so-called friend.

I don't know what to expect from the finale, but the fact that the manga ended gives me some hope that the status quo might change just a tiny bit.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

That was great. Pretty much everything I could have asked for in a finale to this. Except I still don't know what was going on with Sensei's beard. It grew 4 inches during the lunch break. Shocked
Silver4000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
Well, obviously they skipped some content from the manga. So I'm curious to see what the 3 last volumes have (to bad that Yen Press is making it so they release alongside the main manga, which has caught up with the JP release, though I understand why they are doing that).

Anyway, I wasn't expecting this final, since Handa still has some problems in Barakamon, but it kinda makes sense since he easily interacts with the village folk. The show was good since it had a lot of connections and references to Barakamon (besides the future telling bit), and I really want to see more of those characters in Barakamon spoiler[we already got Dash].
Peebs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Despite some jokes falling flat, the first half of the first episode making me cringe, and some initial doubts about the librarian-who-was-not-an-adult, I really enjoyed this to the end. I was expecting none of what happened in this last episode. I still had to pause the video so I could belly laugh when Handa came out of his hiding place to say his one improvised line.

I think it was very sweet that at the end of the credits Handa wasn't alone anymore with a little doll on the floor, but surrounded by his new friends. Any more poignant and I would've cried.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3